Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
23,201 - 23,220 of 31,105 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Stop Watching wrote:
<quoted text> Stop being a community organizer and start doing something. The facts are that the BOE just added PE Team Sports and PE Individual Sports as courses and drop college prep academic courses. What are you doing about this? See what has happened while you were JUST WATCHING.
Absolutely Positively UNTRUE.
Whynottrue

Milford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely Positively UNTRUE.
It is true, they just cut two history classes for sure. Military History and Sports History. Are you upset they didn't tell you first? Ask Tony Hogue, he teaches those two classes.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

We have a class called Sports History? Are you kidding me? What do they teach in that class?

Where do I find the curriculum for Military History? Who takes this course, the JROTC kids? How many do you have in that class? Is this an A/P class?

These sound like made up classes by the principal, just like the current events class he introduced last year.

How are these two classes related to the college prep program?

What other classes does Mr. Hogue teach?

These two sound almost as challenging as the Music/Film class at the junior high.
Obvious

Milford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Well genius, possibly the history of sports and military in our country!!!!They are college prep classes and they do teach the kids a lot about the cultural history of our great nation. Colleges offer many classes like this, why is it wrong that our high school would offer classes like this???
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Obvious wrote:
Well genius, possibly the history of sports and military in our country!!!!They are college prep classes and they do teach the kids a lot about the cultural history of our great nation. Colleges offer many classes like this, why is it wrong that our high school would offer classes like this???
''

Seriously, the history of sports?

We have over 2000 students in this school district that aren't able to generate a passing grade in basic reading and math, yet we have the money to spend teaching kids stuff they can learn in a bar in a few years?

I would love to see the curriculum for this class. I am sure it is rigorous preparation for one of those Ivy League schools Mr. Malone enjoys promoting.
In defense of a great man

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>''
We have over 2000 students in this school district that aren't able to generate a passing grade in basic reading and math, yet we have the money to spend teaching kids stuff they can learn in a bar in a few years?
I would love to see the curriculum for this class. I am sure it is rigorous preparation for one of those Ivy League schools Mr. Malone enjoys promoting.
Thank you for providing interesting statistics and discussions on this forum. I do enjoy the dialogue that can be found here. However, I think attacking Dr.Malone is ridiculous. Have you ever met the man? He helped our family through a couple unfortunate situations at the high school and was fantastic. He is loved by students, staff, and a majority of the community. Courses and statistics of test scores aren't a reflection on just him, but the entire district....including the BOE. I've heard that this is Dr.Malones last year. This community will realize the asset that he's been when his successor doesn't produce better results.
Haha

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>''
I would rather see our students take a course about the history of our military and one of the most profitable industries than more PE classes.
Scaled Scores

Milford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>''
2000 students don't pass basic reading and math in your opinion because you manipulated the numbers to support your opinion.....it's really old now man, let it go...
Is It Not True

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Whynottrue wrote:
<quoted text>
It is true, they just cut two history classes for sure. Military History and Sports History. Are you upset they didn't tell you first? Ask Tony Hogue, he teaches those two classes.
Is it not true, that your fight against decisions being made by our reform-minded BOE elected officials, is not in the best interest of our students; but in the best interest of the teachers union FIRST first with our school tax dollars, which is being heavily promoted by the bad babb for boro/bitter bowman campaign for social justice throughout our schools and community?
Not At All Upset

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Whynottrue wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all upset, but we do appreciate the diligent review of non-essential classes, for which taxpayers are being billed.

Is it not true that Mr. Hogue also knows that these two history classes are non-essential ones; and that our students academic achievements are not in jeopardy?

Is it not true, that it is only the union teacher who is upset because cutting these non-essential, easy to teach courses,
only puts union teachers job security in jeopardy?
Status Quo Has to Go

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Obvious wrote:
Obvious is severly misguided with the status quo tunnel vision view, projected now for seven years by union-indoctrinated board member Don Miller: Don't admit it's broken and you won't have to work harder to fix it. Keep promoting our Springboro Education Association as "victims" AND Keep indoctrinating our kids in classrooms with union teachers that THREE mean-spirited board members are trying to push their most favorite teachers out of a job. Mr. Miller has publicly stated that HE was elected to protect our public schools (meaning the Springboro Education Association).
Isn't that Mr. Maney's job? And doesn't the president of the SEA get highly paid from our school taxes that he collects from all teachers who want the right to work in our school district?

From a common sense voters' viewpoint: It is wrong to tax Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners to pay generous salaries and ever increasing health care benefits to unionization party of school employees, when they are teaching non-essential high school courses in order to justify their employment, increasing their job security; and NOT increasing higher achievement for individual students.
Ask Tony Hogue

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Whynottrue wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Hogue, were you among the Springboro Education Association Members jeering and sneering at community members during the public school board meetings on January 10, January 22, and February 14?
BORO look in the mirror wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wholeheartedly that many of Jan 10's participants displayed an incredible amount of pretentiousness. Teachers in the audience thinking of nothing but THEMSELVES collectively shouted down further conversion school discussion. Certain parents chimed in with these teachers. That was nothing less than a union on union orgy. If you see parents from the 1/10 speakers list in and around town, you may still notice a strange brown substance smeared in and around their nose and inside their nostrils.
What happened Jan 10th is a gross injustice to parents in this district who have students who are struggling in one or more academic areas. Many have problems at home, sometimes with parents that aren't parents. These are the kids that sometimes get so discouraged that they drop out of school. A lot of them would tell you for various reasons they have trouble keeping up with the rest of the class. Some of these struggling students might tell you they're being completely left behind by a school district's omnipresent subliminal standard....
"Excellent with Distinction...with NO exception"
What happened Jan 10th is a gross injustice to many district parents of gifted children. Ask some of these kids. Many of them will tell you they reach a point where they feel they are no longer being challenged. They'll tell you in certain classes they get held back to the "rest of the pack" because there's not enough people or resources for them, or the TYPE of resources they need at their level.
Get real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Not At All Upset wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all upset, but we do appreciate the diligent review of non-essential classes, for which taxpayers are being billed.
Is it not true that Mr. Hogue also knows that these two history classes are non-essential ones; and that our students academic achievements are not in jeopardy?
Is it not true, that it is only the union teacher who is upset because cutting these non-essential, easy to teach courses,
only puts union teachers job security in jeopardy?
Not all students can take AP history but I guess no one cares about them, as long as the classes cut reduce costs right? Instead of more PE, why not more science and math which Springboro could definitely use more of - oh yeah that might cost too much. Kids first, my a##.
Blah

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Status Quo Has to Go wrote:
<quoted text>
Obvious is severly misguided with the status quo tunnel vision view, projected now for seven years by union-indoctrinated board member Don Miller: Don't admit it's broken and you won't have to work harder to fix it. Keep promoting our Springboro Education Association as "victims" AND Keep indoctrinating our kids in classrooms with union teachers that THREE mean-spirited board members are trying to push their most favorite teachers out of a job. Mr. Miller has publicly stated that HE was elected to protect our public schools (meaning the Springboro Education Association).
Isn't that Mr. Maney's job? And doesn't the president of the SEA get highly paid from our school taxes that he collects from all teachers who want the right to work in our school district?
From a common sense voters' viewpoint: It is wrong to tax Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners to pay generous salaries and ever increasing health care benefits to unionization party of school employees, when they are teaching non-essential high school courses in order to justify their employment, increasing their job security; and NOT increasing higher achievement for individual students.
Please provide examples and details about how many of these teachers are indoctrinating your children and how they are victims. I've never heard of any teachers telling students to resent the board or school decisions. I would hope that the union would be looking out for the teachers. after all, unions are meant to "protect" employees. I could care less about teachers wages, benefits, or non-essential classes. I want my child to have a well-rounded education with choices. Springboro is a great school district and if it wasn't everyone on here would have moved, homeschooled, or put their kids in a charter/private school. You talk about taxes and the cost to the community? We're the ones who screwed up buying and spending outside our means and not being able to afford additional taxes. The cost of living goes up and likely the cost of educating will as well. The entire system of funding seems to center around property taxes...then lets talk to our state reprentatives about finding ways to tax evenly so that everyone shares the burden instead of just homeowners. KY uses taxes on food, auto fees, and a smaller portion I property taxes to fund schools. They gave up stupid tests like the OGT and decided to give students the ACT to gauge learning and to show some students who score well that college is a possibility for them. I envy my relatives who live there and never complain about teachers, school boards, and levys....
Pathetic

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Ask Tony Hogue wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Hogue, were you among the Springboro Education Association Members jeering and sneering at community members during the public school board meetings on January 10, January 22, and February 14?
<quoted text>
Don't even act like the teachers are the only ones at board meetings making comments and "jeering" or "sneering".
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Scaled Scores wrote:
<quoted text>
2000 students don't pass basic reading and math in your opinion because you manipulated the numbers to support your opinion.....it's really old now man, let it go...
You do the math with the numbers provided by the state and with the grading scale Mr. Malone utilizes to determine GPAs and class standing.

Come on, I know you have a calculator, you can do this.

Tell us all what you come up with in this endeavor.

You will still find that over 2000 children in our school district are not getting the education that the taxpayers are funding.

3 out of 8 children are not getting the education we promised them.
Get real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
You do the math with the numbers provided by the state and with the grading scale Mr. Malone utilizes to determine GPAs and class standing.
Come on, I know you have a calculator, you can do this.
Tell us all what you come up with in this endeavor.
You will still find that over 2000 children in our school district are not getting the education that the taxpayers are funding.
3 out of 8 children are not getting the education we promised them.
Lets remember there are a lot of students that are doing very well in Springboro - one that got a perfect score on his ACT and many more that scored very high. So instead of keeping up the 2000 failing students bit why don't you figure out why some students learn better than others. Maybe the bigger problem is the parents failing their own kids and not so much the schools.
Just Not True

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

A lot of bickering wrote:
I think it's safe to say that both the BOE and teachers union has faults in our district. I have no problem paying teachers a respectable wage to produce a quality education for my students. I also agree that some areas of spending in this district needs to be examined to determine if the results are effectively helping our students. The bad blood and bickering between both groups has led to a bad atmosphere in this community. I hope some kind of common ground is found soon if everyone is truly putting "children first". Lets find ways to give our students better opportunities and find effective ways to help our community grow.
I do keep hearing a lot about how 3/8 of our students are struggling, but how does that compare to other districts in our area? Does Lebanon, Lakota, Centerville, and other schools have more or less struggling students?
It is just not true that our highly-respected AND highly
effective BOE reform-minded majority members are contributing to this relentless bully-bashing on display at every public school board meeeting. Just Not True.
Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets remember there are a lot of students that are doing very well in Springboro - one that got a perfect score on his ACT and many more that scored very high. So instead of keeping up the 2000 failing students bit why don't you figure out why some students learn better than others. Maybe the bigger problem is the parents failing their own kids and not so much the schools.
Or, the bigger problem could be the failing agenda of our status quo unionized board member, Don Miller, protecting the teachers union members; who are constantly blaming good parents in our community for not recognizing, with BIG MONEY, just how awesome teachers are as OUR child's MOST important resource (even more than parents).
Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Pathetic wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't even act like the teachers are the only ones at board meetings making comments and "jeering" or "sneering".
Bad Babb for Boro campaign supporters and Bitter Bowman Bloggers were the only ones ACTING out in public, grandstanding for social justice of teachers union rights to control our school tax dollars and our kids classroom education.

To the Bad for Boro babb/bowman union activists, education in Springboro is nothing more than fighting against our kids first best interest for SEA control and power over OUR kids' MONEY.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Huber Heights Discussions

Search the Huber Heights Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 23 min dba_freelance_gyno 29,097
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 9 hr They cannot kill a Spook 231
Let's remember our constitution and national debt. 10 hr The Hack Checker 2
Brits want to stop female genital mutilation! 10 hr The Hack Checker 3
Michael Bloomturd has landed in Tel Aviv! 10 hr The Hack Checker 2
How many white women in HH are "snow bunnies"? 18 hr Bryan Detty 1
Review: Courtyards Of Kettering (Jul '10) 19 hr masterofconcretepourers 37
•••
•••
•••
•••

Huber Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000