Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
23,181 - 23,200 of 31,226 Comments Last updated 24 min ago
Move

Dayton, OH

#23583 Feb 22, 2013
size isnt the problem wrote:
<quoted text>
My plan is to be here in 2016 to help America recover from the decimation Barack Obama and people like you are leaving.
You should have done a better job in 2012. Typical Tea Party cry baby.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23584 Feb 22, 2013
Tea Party Thugs wrote:
<quoted text> Typical Tea Party Thugs who think that the laws do not appply to them.
Here we go again, name calling with no argument of substance.

Why is informing the public, whose money is being spent, what the issues of the day are in the negotiations?

What is so awful about transparency in government finances?
Stop Watching

Dayton, OH

#23585 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
According to the above synopsis if the teachers refuse to negotiate their pay and benefits go up $11,300,000.
The renewal levy is for $9,200,000 to keep things where they are right now.
How many of you think we are going to pass a renewal levy AND a new money levy that is nearly 20% higher than the renewal levy they are worried about?
My money is on maybe the renewal levy passes if they haven't perturbed too many voters with the union's demands.
The new money levy for an additional $11,300,000 plus, no chance.
So who pays the price for this latest bit of idiocracy?
Aside from the obvious answer the children, I would like to offer up any teacher not teaching a core subject, any teacher not involved with special education, any teacher lacking any degree of seniority, administrative staff with no seniority, support staff, etc. etc, etc. It will take quite a few bodies to make up $11,300,000 in cuts to get to a balanced budget.
Those in the union with sufficient seniority do not need to fret much for they are protected. The junior members on the other hand will see themselves tossed overboard to save the senior members.
Seriously, why negotiate, as long as you are a senior member of the union there is no downside to intransigence.
The senior members won't be the one's paying the price.
And pray that the community never discovers that over 2000 plus of our children are not getting the education the taxpayers are funding. That just might really upset the apple cart.
That's whats wrong with Tea Party Thugs they all are just watching just like the 2012 election. You keep just watching!! How about just doing something more productive.
Scaled scores

Milford, OH

#23586 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the best the union can deliver when 37% of your children are effectively not getting the education for which the taxpayers have paid?
That means that 63% of the children are successful, some way more than others, but 63% remains the level at which our schools are performing in their job of educating our children.
Mr. Malone defines grades earned while taking college level courses at a university through PSEO as:
A=95%
B=85%
C=75%
D=65%
F=59%
63% passing rate would indicate our school system deserves a D according to Mr. Malone.
D is a far cry from Excellent with Distinction.
Again with your math, the state scores those tests on a scaled system just like alot of professional tests now. Stop throwing those numbers up, they totally flaw your argument.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23587 Feb 22, 2013
Stop Watching wrote:
<quoted text> That's whats wrong with Tea Party Thugs they all are just watching just like the 2012 election. You keep just watching!! How about just doing something more productive.
Snarky comments do not make a coherent argument.

Debate the point, provide our fellow readers with an alternative viewpoint.

Thus far you have provided nothing that disputes my information or conclusions.

I can only assume that you are in full agreement that over 2000 plus students in our district

And there are no academic classes on the block.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23588 Feb 22, 2013
Scaled scores wrote:
<quoted text>
Again with your math, the state scores those tests on a scaled system just like alot of professional tests now. Stop throwing those numbers up, they totally flaw your argument.
The state does not mandate how much high school weights the PSEO classes, that is up to the individual high school.

If you take your contention and run our school district OAA and OGT test results against the state scaled system, how many of our children are passing on an A-F scale?

Please elucidate our readers by presenting the flaws you perceive in my arguments.

The world eagerly awaits your response.
Scaled scores

Milford, OH

#23589 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
The state does not mandate how much high school weights the PSEO classes, that is up to the individual high school.
If you take your contention and run our school district OAA and OGT test results against the state scaled system, how many of our children are passing on an A-F scale?
Please elucidate our readers by presenting the flaws you perceive in my arguments.
The world eagerly awaits your response.
You can't base it on an A-F scale, according to the states system your students are doing great. Stop manipulating the numbers to make your point. It's old
Stop Watching

Dayton, OH

#23590 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Snarky comments do not make a coherent argument.
Debate the point, provide our fellow readers with an alternative viewpoint.
Thus far you have provided nothing that disputes my information or conclusions.
I can only assume that you are in full agreement that over 2000 plus students in our district
And there are no academic classes on the block.
There is no debate you have been watching for a long time. Stop watching and do something.
BOE

Piqua, OH

#23592 Feb 22, 2013
bullies at BOE meetings wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that the bullies in the crowd that were shouting out, booing and hissing are now the ones trying to make themselves look like victims. These people are spreading rumors now that the board was not paying attention, not crying as they thought they should be and those board members were not intimidated at all.
My guess is that board members are not intimidated by this same old disrespect, rumor mongers, and levy ladies. One thing for sure is that for the first time I have ever attended I saw Don Miller actually pay attention to speakers. Maybe the rumors work on someone.
Now alls ima saying is that i wuz elected now seven years ago to protect the public schools tent of the unionism party; and ima still sitting on the board today, relentlessly fighting against the reform-minded ones who are diligently implementing our children first budgeting plan to help control big runaway labor costs of our public schools unionism party. Not in my schools, and Not in my community, will I allow "Liberty and Justice for All" to include those conservative outsiders, inside our close-knit community of union insiders.
Now if you're with me, get on board with the bad babb for boro campaign and the bitter bowman blog for social justice, fighting for increased teachers union rights to walk out on our kids, IF, those coservative outsiders do not bend to the will of Mr. Maney, President of the Springboro Education Association.
Job Well Done

Piqua, OH

#23593 Feb 22, 2013
Move wrote:
<quoted text>
All politics are local and Springboro voters are Boro Proud of our BOE majority conservative elected officials!
Springboro voters are proud of our schools and community and thankful! to live in Warren County with like minded conservatives (like those majority voters recorded on the Board of Elections website who showed up at the 2012 polls to vote for common sense values of peace and prosperity for ALL Americans)! God Bless America and May God Bless You and Your family.
Worth Repeating

Piqua, OH

#23594 Feb 22, 2013
the silent majority wrote:
Dear Mr. Petrey and Board Members,
I would like to thank you for doing your best to restore truth and full disclosure to our school district. I know you are inundated by a few hundred in the community led by Lisa Babb and David Bowman, telling you what you are doing is wrong, unethical, damaging to our students and tearing this community apart.
The union seems to lie in wait for you to do anything they can attack. Perhaps if they spent a fourth of that time trying to work with you to rid our school district of corruption and truly putting kids first, the district could make more progress.
I have heard this group numerous times state the "whole community" agrees with them. I would like to ask you not buy into that! Please! While I would never be so arrogant as to say I am speaking for anyone other than myself, I do feel that we have "proof" that the majority of this community does NOT agree with them.
4 of the 5 of our current board members were VOTED in to office by this community. Mr. Petry and Mrs. Kull were CHOSEN by the people we voted in. Personally, I voted for you all based on what you said you would do. I have been very pleased. I realize the silent majority of this community does not show up at board meetings to yell and behave disrespectfully. This silent majority doesn't call park meetings to "save our schools", "save our sports", "save our principal", "save extra curriculars" or to "save" anything else, but PLEASE know that we are still here! We support YOU and have entrusted YOU to "save" our schools.
I appreciate the updates on what you all have done and what you are trying to do. I believe since this community, through our taxes, pays the salaries and benefits of our teachers and staff, we have every right to know what is happening with negotiations. I do understand that some things may need to be kept confidential, but I want to know who is offering what and is being refused and accepted. I sympathize with our staff when changes have to made that are not easy or well liked. No one wants to pay more for insurance or not receive a pay raise etc, but that is what the rest of us are having to do.
Why does the staff feel they are entitled to more than the majority of the community they work for? It is very frustrating to hear staff members out in public saying the board wants them to take a 30% pay cut across the board, or the staff is one of the lowest paid in the surrounding area, or that we can't keep bus drivers because they are paid so poorly. None of this sounds like putting kids first!
In this economy, I think they should all be thankful that they have their jobs to begin with. Having to pay 20 or even 30% of your health care benefits may seem terrible when you are used to having to pay 5%, but, times have changed! While I truly want them to stay here and work with us, I believe that if they are not happy with a fair wage for an honest days work, then this school system is better off without them. There are hundreds of well qualified teachers that would be honored to work in Springboro Schools and help keep our district at the top. Instead of being thankful for the opportunities that are here for them, they want to spread lies and use bullying tactics (like those our children are taught NOT to use) to try to strong arm you into giving into their demands.
PLEASE stay true to your values!
Do not succumb to the bullying of a small few. I am counting on you to stand up for us, to be who you said you would be during your campaigns, and to do what you said you would do.
In Appreciation, to our school district leaders, staff, and reform-minded school board members...(who are now under attack by the school district's severely-misguided tunnel vision political opposition)... for all that you do working together to strengthen our good schools and community. Thank you.
Interesting

Milford, OH

#23595 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23596 Feb 22, 2013
Stop Watching wrote:
<quoted text> There is no debate you have been watching for a long time. Stop watching and do something.
I am doing something, I am trying to let the community know that over 2000 plus students are not getting the education that the taxpayers have funded.

Trying to stop people from discovering the facts about our schools is not a worthy endeavor for yourself.
Stop Watching

Dayton, OH

#23597 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I am doing something, I am trying to let the community know that over 2000 plus students are not getting the education that the taxpayers have funded.
Trying to stop people from discovering the facts about our schools is not a worthy endeavor for yourself.
Stop being a community organizer and start doing something. The facts are that the BOE just added PE Team Sports and PE Individual Sports as courses and drop college prep academic courses. What are you doing about this? See what has happened while you were JUST WATCHING.
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#23598 Feb 22, 2013
Stop Watching wrote:
<quoted text> Stop being a community organizer and start doing something. The facts are that the BOE just added PE Team Sports and PE Individual Sports as courses and drop college prep academic courses. What are you doing about this? See what has happened while you were JUST WATCHING.
So what's the big deal?
And why the big hissy fit over PE Team/Individual Sports?
And what's wrong with dropping "status quo" college prep academic courses that have been included in the program studies for years; not in the best interest of our students first; but in the best interest of adults first EMPLOYMENT SECURITY!
What hypocrites are status quo board member Don Miller and the
blah blah blah bad babb for boro and bitter bowman union thugs bloggers promoting their fear of Change inside the tent of our teachers union party celebrating how wonderfully awesome they are! You hypocrites bully-bash our children first budgeting board members and supporters for proposing a $15,000 acedemic study in the best interest of higher academic achievements; complaining that this academic study will put the Springboro Community Assistance program in jeopardy; now you're complaining that cutting some of the social studies classes is putting our students college-prep academics in jeopardy? How silly!
Thank You

Piqua, OH

#23599 Feb 22, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Please just keep watching and keep educating springboro voters with the real facts of what is really going on inside our taxpayer-funded public schools. Thank you for caring about all our students.
Stop Watching

Dayton, OH

#23600 Feb 22, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's the big deal?
And why the big hissy fit over PE Team/Individual Sports?
And what's wrong with dropping "status quo" college prep academic courses that have been included in the program studies for years; not in the best interest of our students first; but in the best interest of adults first EMPLOYMENT SECURITY!
What hypocrites are status quo board member Don Miller and the
blah blah blah bad babb for boro and bitter bowman union thugs bloggers promoting their fear of Change inside the tent of our teachers union party celebrating how wonderfully awesome they are! You hypocrites bully-bash our children first budgeting board members and supporters for proposing a $15,000 acedemic study in the best interest of higher academic achievements; complaining that this academic study will put the Springboro Community Assistance program in jeopardy; now you're complaining that cutting some of the social studies classes is putting our students college-prep academics in jeopardy? How silly!
Just Watching now your posting under Get Real. Yes it is a big deal when you cut academic classes and replace with PE. It's clear to the community that your motto is now "Fitness First." Keep up the great work!!
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#23602 Feb 22, 2013
Stop Watching wrote:
<quoted text> Just Watching now your posting under Get Real. Yes it is a big deal when you cut academic classes and replace with PE. It's clear to the community that your motto is now "Fitness First." Keep up the great work!!
Comments made by Get Real and Just Watching are not the same person... but who cares to nit-pick....what's in a name?

Don't really care about who you are, nor tearing down your stop watching name; but real issues are important; and it really is important to state the truth.

Truth is: it is no big deal to Parents that a few non-essential courses were cut; we do understand that all decisions made by our BOE majority are made putting our kids first; and that means that FIRST our BOE majority has to put whatever measures are necessary for our school district to get control of big runaway teachers union labor costs to Springboro taxpayers.

And as far as the motto "fitness first" we parents prefer that
"motto" to the bitter-bowman-mantra that the union teacher in every child's classroom is the child's greatest resource.

As far as replacing these non-essential courses with PE, what in the world is wrong with the school district seeking to meet the child's total needs of educating the mind and strengthening the physical body?
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#23603 Feb 22, 2013
Stop Watching wrote:
<quoted text> Stop being a community organizer and start doing something. The facts are that the BOE just added PE Team Sports and PE Individual Sports as courses and drop college prep academic courses. What are you doing about this? See what has happened while you were JUST WATCHING.
Our reform minded school board elected officials have invested tireless hours of their time and expertise, educating Springboro
voters of the harm that was done by decisions of previous boards (including still sitting status quo-minded Don Miller) who just STOPPED WATCHING out for our students best interest first; and allowed the Springboro Education Association to dictate demands of increased salaries and fringe benefits FIRST out of our school tax dollars, then leaving for our children the leftovers of the adults first philosophy.
bodhisattva

Girard, OH

#23604 Feb 22, 2013
Move wrote:
<quoted text>
Barack Obama's How to Clinch a Presidential Election 101 :

Solicit masses of Hispanics, many of which possess extremely sketchy citizenship statuses to get in line in their respective states to vote VERY LATE on Election Day

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huber Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 min Samuel-6g-Jackson 18,898
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Indiana Jones 30,589
Debate: Ferguson - Dayton, OH 13 hr Ann Fan 4
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 13 hr Ann Fan 5
Review: Optical Shop In Meijer (Sep '13) Aug 30 L_Roberts 4
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) Aug 30 bill 44
Found dog! (Dec '13) Aug 27 Hero Officer Wilson 7
•••
•••
•••

Huber Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••