Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
23,081 - 23,100 of 31,123 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Worth Repeating

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

reality wrote:
<quoted text>
The BOE's policy regarding no two-way discussion wasn't installed to be broken every other board meeting, or for special occasions. Now is just the same as during past Springboro boards. During each board meeting members of the public may have pre-arrainged time, or may walk to the podium to speak to specific agenda items. Sorry about your luck if you're not able to convincingly get your point across. For a portion of that 1/10 audience to premeditate their unprovoked verbal lynching, it couldn't have taken more than half an ounce of their collective brain matter. Maney and his gang of SEA thugs made absolute fools out of themselves in the face of this community. Rest assured, especially in the weeks leading up to November 5th, parents, taxpayers and voters within this community will not forget their collective foolishness.
Say It Again....Bravo! Bravo!
Lest We Forget

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course parents are very important in learning. I think we can all agree on that point. I have a partnership with my kids teachers! If I believed it was only parents, I would homeschool. But I realize teachers are key to my kids success!
"We are all something, but none of us are everything."
- Blaise Pascal

We all have a place in the world that is significant;
without distorting it one way or another.
By pumping up the importance of teachers in our kids' education,(so that voters will see how awesome they are and demand that our school board promote a levy should be passed to give the teachers increased salaries and health care benefits, at the expense of overly tax-burdened homeowners) our SEA/union community activists are distorting the truth, portraying our teachers as victims, and our children first budgeting board representatives as "the enemy fighting against our teachers." Our reform-minded BOE elected majority representatives ARE not the ones bringing harm to our schools and community; Our babb for boro and bowman blog bullies are our severely misguided neighbors who are greatly harming our children's future success, with their consistent disruption and distraction tactics "fighting for status quo."
Lest we forget --- We all matter. Our challenge is not to let ourselves think that we matter more than anyone else.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course parents are very important in learning. I think we can all agree on that point. I have a partnership with my kids teachers! If I believed it was only parents, I would homeschool. But I realize teachers are key to my kids success!
Lurker you need to visit a teacher and learn again how to read actual content rather than your imagination.

Parents first and foremost have more influence on a child's development and growth than any teacher will.

A teacher faced one hour per day with a child that comes from an unloved home, is not properly fed, not clothed in a reasonable manner, has no permanent shelter, has not been socialized to any degree by the parents, has no respect for education, displays no respect for any authority, no respect for other people's property, and is burdened by societal vices will most likely not be the reason this child succeeds or fails.

Parents who provide a hint of a loving environment at home ( not all will be great, but just being together means the world to a child ), who shelter, feed, and clothe that child in a reasonable manner ( you don't have to live in a mansion, or eat steak every night, or wear the latest designer fashions ), teach their children the value of education, follow up with homework, not tolerate attitude nor behavior problems in school, set an example of industriousness, respect other people's person and property, and provide them with a solid foundation of morals and values that benefit society as a whole, will in all probability provide the schools with a child they can successfully educate.

Ask any teacher which child they would prefer to teach, the child from the parents who don't care or the child from parents that do care.

I don't think the answer will be all that surprising.

The foundation which is provided that makes the greatest amount of difference.

PARENTS provide that foundation.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Lurker do you ever have anything besides simple questions that offer nothing to the 2000 plus children in this district that are not getting the education they deserve?

How about a thought or two about the 3/8 of our kids who are being left behind without a thought?

Seriously, nothing?
can ya prove it

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Free Speech wrote:
I believe the BOE sent an email to the staff through Mr. Petry that the staff can not speak on any decisions that are made by the BOE, not positive but I think this is what people are speaking of when referring to Free Speech
This is one more of the Babb, Bowman, Greenburg pure lies. I am staff and never got such a letter.
can ya prove it

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe 2 current board members took plenty of time speaking to the previous board before they were elected.
Yes they spoke and gave plenty of great ideas to save money but they never bashed with such disrespect, they never did it just to get on camera they both gave many specific ideas.
seal show

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
Sure seemed like the crowd was clapping for Mr Bowman. Were we at the same meeting?
The crowd of 20 teachers and 5 union boot lickers. So what those are the same people that come to every meeting to kiss up and to swear we need more money when we do not. These are the same bunch that worked their butts off to get a levy passed and now have egg on their face. They have clapped like that for years. I heard someone call then seals in a seal show.
seal show

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that was the teacher's union and its misguided supporters. Mr. Bowman went silent, as did that supportive crowd, when after Mr. Bowman claimed teachers are the primary reason for a student's success he was challenged from the crowd about the parent's primacy in his assertion. Mr. Bowman never did respond to that and the issue dropped rather quickly.
Apparently, the union and its supporters never really considered that parents might just be a little more important.
I know I was in opposition to what Bowman said and I heard many in the audience bad mouth him during his speech and afterwards. His words made the audience angry. Many were shouting at him.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Lurker do you ever have anything besides simple questions that offer nothing to the 2000 plus children in this district that are not getting the education they deserve?
How about a thought or two about the 3/8 of our kids who are being left behind without a thought?
Seriously, nothing?
No, I am just a questioner. I don't feel the need to repost the statistics everyday!
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am just a questioner. I don't feel the need to repost the statistics everyday!
Have you no thoughts of your own?

Perhaps you could either verify or provide an alternate reading to children scoring 32% on a test and being deemed Proficient.

2000 plus children in this district are scoring failing grades according to Dr. Malone's definition of grades A-F on our state achievement tests.

Share with us your thoughts on how to reverse this unfortunate happenstance.
Big Questions

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
How much confidence do you think the community will have in its schools if the present poisonous atmosphere continues? How much hard earned, scarce money do you think people want to pour down that rat hole?
Given the way the negotiations have started, a divisive union contract negotiation could turn into a long drawn out affair. This will probably effect the climate in which this renewal is being voted upon. Even if it is put out there, will it pass?
If it doesn't pass, who will pay the ultimate price?
So why in the world is our school superintendent proposing approval from the board to develop an early childhood center
that "provides a continuum of services based on the developmental needs of young learners?"

Exactly what is "continuum of services" and how much is this going to cost taxpayers, somewhere down the road, when our school superintendent comes to the voters for more money to pay increased salaries and benefits to our union teachers (who are sacrificing themselves to teach)? Can you imagine the distorted emotional manipulation by the union activists?

Why not simplify meeting the special needs of our preschoolers
(which our school outsources to ESC) by sponsoring a conversion school, instead of bringing the early childhood education business into the public schools tent?
The JW building would be a good facility for our special needs school for our little ones; and the K-12 public schools budget would save that $5000 increase in administrative salary for the Clearcreek elementary principal.
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you no thoughts of your own?
Perhaps you could either verify or provide an alternate reading to children scoring 32% on a test and being deemed Proficient.
2000 plus children in this district are scoring failing grades according to Dr. Malone's definition of grades A-F on our state achievement tests.
Share with us your thoughts on how to reverse this unfortunate happenstance.
Approximately 90% of any given Boro grade achieving "Proficient" or above, by hurdling over those OAA minimum cut-off scores that are as low as 32%!

This is how Lurker and his gang define Springboro Schools "Excellence with Distinction"
Big Questions

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

BORO look in the mirror wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wholehearedly that many of Jan 10's participants displayed an incredible amount of pretentiousness. Teachers in the audience thinking of nothing but THEMSELVES collectively shouted down further conversion school discussion. Certain parents chimed in with these teachers. That was nothing less than a union on union orgy. If you see parents from the 1/10 speakers list in and around town, you may still notice a strange brown substance smeared in and around their nose and inside their nostrils.
What happened Jan 10th is a gross injustice to parents in this district who have students who are struggling in one or more academic areas. Many have problems at home, sometimes with parents that aren't parents. These are the kids that sometimes get so discouraged that they drop out of school. A lot of them would tell you for various reasons they have trouble keeping up with the rest of the class. Some of these struggling students might tell you they're being completely left behind by a school district's omnipresent subliminal standard....
"Excellent with Distinction...with NO exception"
What happened Jan 10th is a gross injustice to many district parents of gifted children. Ask some of these kids. Many of them will tell you they reach a point where they feel they are no longer being challenged. They'll tell you in certain classes they get held back to the "rest of the pack" because there's not enough people or resources for them, or the TYPE of resourses they need at their level.
....held back to the rest of the pack?...not enough people?.....or resources?

Why is our district not pursuing conversion schools to address these student's unmet needs?

Why does our school district allow this same group of union/community activists dictate what their insiders want, at the expense of what our students need?

And why is our school superintendent ignoring these "unmet needs" of students; and proposing going into the preschool early development business?

Why not focus on building up resources and people to meet our K-12 students "unmet needs" before bringing the expenses of preschool learning centers into the Tent of taxpayer-funded public schools?
Boro Mom

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Would you like the district to cast aside a rating that the State of Ohio gave it? I think everyone can agree that the scores and system is wrong, but don't cast aside the hard work that some students put into getting our schools that rating. From my understanding, which I'll admit isn't much, the OAA and OGT are comprehensive exams. Both my kids were proficient on the OGT and scored 24 and 27 on the ACT. I'm happy they scored well enough to get into the schools they chose and are doing fine. It's ridiculous that a single test can mean so much to a school.
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Boro Mom wrote:
Would you like the district to cast aside a rating that the State of Ohio gave it? I think everyone can agree that the scores and system is wrong, but don't cast aside the hard work that some students put into getting our schools that rating. From my understanding, which I'll admit isn't much, the OAA and OGT are comprehensive exams. Both my kids were proficient on the OGT and scored 24 and 27 on the ACT. I'm happy they scored well enough to get into the schools they chose and are doing fine. It's ridiculous that a single test can mean so much to a school.
Congrats to you, Boro Mom! You apparently avoided membership to Boro'S 2000 club.
Boro Mom

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats to you, Boro Mom! You apparently avoided membership to Boro'S 2000 club.
I'm more interested in ACT and SAT scores then a rather meaningless test. I talked to my girls and they laughed when I asked if it was difficult. They said they knew they'd pass and didn't really care about the test. It was very frustrating to hear that answer and realizing that they could have done better. I'm guessing more students feel the same way...maybe some kind of scholarships attached to scores could make students interested in trying hard?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Boro Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more interested in ACT and SAT scores then a rather meaningless test. I talked to my girls and they laughed when I asked if it was difficult. They said they knew they'd pass and didn't really care about the test. It was very frustrating to hear that answer and realizing that they could have done better. I'm guessing more students feel the same way...maybe some kind of scholarships attached to scores could make students interested in trying hard?
Scholarships are tied to rigors of coursework, class standing, and ACT and SAT scores.

Reducing the incentive to venture outside the high school campus to a college campus does a disservice to the students and parents when the school downgrades their efforts via grade weighting.

Funny way the high school has of inducing students to participate in a program designed to reduce the cost of higher education while easing our better students into the college environment.

The OAA tests are more about how well your school is performing and identifying deficiencies within the student body. Corrective action is more easily targeted if you have an idea of who knows what.

2000 plus of our children in this school district are by Mr. Malone's definition failing.

I do not take any joy in that fact or number.
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Boro Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear what you're saying 100%. However IMO in Springboro as well as most other public schools, there's WAY too much emphasis on test-preparation in order for each respective district to gain that much-coveted state recognition of "Excellent". At the same time there's NOT NEARLY enough emphasis being placed to match what they're learning to job demands they'll see in the real world. This is the area especially where many of their peers around the globe are kicking their American counterparts butts.
Take Germany for example..By the time a typical German child reaches his or her senior year (in addition to their regular schoolwork) they've already chosen a vocational field and have taken great strides to master it.
Please Explain

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Follow the Money wrote:
5) Mr. Malone went on endlessly about the A/P courses in our high school, but failed to make the case why a college course would be weighted 15% less than a course taken in his high school.
How is a college course weighted 15% less than a high school course?
hot off the press

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Increased spending and smaller class sizes are not predictors of success in the classroom, according to Springboro Board of Education President.

Kelly Kohls said she has become gravely concerned over education in the past 5 years. "I'm driven to change education in this county". Globally, the U.S. is "losing ground" every year to other countries, despite spending the most per student in the world.

Ohio has increased per-student spending, while test scores have remained flat, Kohls said. In addition to spending, she also said smaller class sizes have not proven to be as effective in student performance. Class sizes in the U.S. have decreased, while performance has remained flat. Other countries are averaging class sizes of 30-38 and outperforming the U.S., which averages 23-28 students.

Kohls said school board members are larely to blame, and parents need to have more initiative when it comes to educating their children. Kohls also said a majority of teachers "are great people, are in for the right reasons, but somehow the system is not working for our kids."

The Ohio Graduation Test grades students using a low standard where a student can answer 43% of the questions on math and reading and still receive a "proficient" grade. "I think just raising the bar isn't going to help us," Kohls said. "We scan't even bring the kids to the standards we have. All it's going to mean is that you have a bar that a greater percentage of your students don't make it to. So it's a system failure, that I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet."

Kohls said education leaders need to treat education like a business.

Kohls encouraged people to be more involved with the education system, and run for school board. She said schools need help educating both the district employees and the community.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Huber Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Huber Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••