Moxley removes 4 top-level school dis...

Moxley removes 4 top-level school district administrators; 130 ...

There are 18 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 13, 2009, titled Moxley removes 4 top-level school district administrators; 130 .... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Four of the Lake County school district's top administrators are being removed, and the district is advertising to replace them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Concerned Tax Payer

Winter Garden, FL

#1 May 13, 2009
Why replace them....use the money and save the teachers. Sometimes I feel like we have too many chiefs and not enough indians.
Cleaning Cowin Mess

AOL

#3 May 13, 2009
Moxley is cleaning up after Anna Cowin's mess. Give her a break for goodness sake.
hmm

Lady Lake, FL

#5 May 13, 2009
How about replacing some of the administrators who are letting the Leesburg schools fall into the toilet. Someone needs to check out Oak Park and the insane dictatorship going on there... Some of these schools are falling apart at the seams and no one takes notice. Fill them administrative positions with your lackeys and forget the kids. We do it right alright, we do what we want, not what's right.
Truth

Satellite Beach, FL

#6 May 13, 2009
After the 2009-2010 school year, the class size amendment will be in full effect. Every core subject classroom will have to have no more than x-number of students or the school system will not be in compliance. That means we will need many more teachers. The teachers being laid off today may or may not be available at that time as some will go back to school, train for new careers, or just to move on with their lives. There is no more employer to employee loyalty anymore. You can do you best for years and one day you go to work and you're told to put your things in a box and leave. We were very lucky to get the federal stimulus money for education. That will be gone in two years. All we've done is postpone the hard choices that will have to be made when it is gone. Oh, if our new superintendent is going to let her principals extend their DROP, then it is hypocritical not to let your veteran teachers do the same. How about showing the same loyalty back for giving the best years of their lives to this community. They are just as critical and important to student success. Don't target them unfairly.
LOL

Debary, FL

#7 May 14, 2009
hmm wrote:
How about replacing some of the administrators who are letting the Leesburg schools fall into the toilet. Someone needs to check out Oak Park and the insane dictatorship going on there... Some of these schools are falling apart at the seams and no one takes notice. Fill them administrative positions with your lackeys and forget the kids. We do it right alright, we do what we want, not what's right.
When will someone WAKE UP and look into the ongoings at Oak Park Middle in Leesburg? I'm tired of my child's school being considered the "ghetto school" where "you can get away with everything." Someone is going to get seriously hurt there if the prinicipal isn't removed. Not only that, she has moved all the core 8th grade teachers to a different grade level for the 2009-2010 school year. These are the people that MADE this school an A school. She's destroying everything.
Parent

United States

#12 May 14, 2009
Now fix South Lake High School

“D” rated High School

4th from the bottom in FCAT writing for all schools in the state with over 500 Students. There is over 150 Schools in this category

A Football coach who hit another football coach

A football team that can not have a Spring Game or Jamboree Game because of fighting

A Basketball coach arrested in Hillsborough County on Controlled Substance Charges

Maybe a change of Administration and Athletic leadership would help
froogalmom

Clermont, FL

#13 May 14, 2009
This isn't really regarding this particular article, but since another commenter mentioned SLHS, I'd like to add my own comments about SLHS.
Parent wrote:
Now fix South Lake High School
“D” rated High School
4th from the bottom in FCAT writing for all schools in the state with over 500 Students. There is over 150 Schools in this category
A Football coach who hit another football coach
A football team that can not have a Spring Game or Jamboree Game because of fighting
A Basketball coach arrested in Hillsborough County on Controlled Substance Charges
Maybe a change of Administration and Athletic leadership would help
Let me add to this: a principal who allows political activists to come to SLHS and pull kids OUT OF CLASS to make them watch presentations about their causes and encourage them to rally in Orlando to attract the attention of the media and celebrities when CLEARLY some (if not all) of those students should be spending their time in CLASS, actually studying the subject matter that is supposed to be taught (in this case BIOLOGY, not POLITICAL ACTIVISM). Don't believe that happened? Ask your kids if they happened to be pulled out of class on April 21 to attend a presentation by an organization called "Invisible Children". If they weren't, apparently they weren't "handpicked" for this. Read on.

A principal who, when questioned as to why my son, who is failing biology, was pulled out of his biology class for this, told me that the students were "handpicked" for this (I guess we should be honored? My son might fail biology but hey, I was told by the same principal that there is tutoring available if I feel that he is not getting what he needs in class, so why should I worry, right?)

A principal who has been asked by me to answer the following questions on several occasions and has yet to answer (Yes, Mr. Bordenkircher, I want your EMAILED answer as a matter of public record. I am not interested in wasting my time meeting with you. These are 3 simple questions. I last emailed you on May 2, it is now May 14.) Here, for the record, are my questions AGAIN:

1) What criteria was used by the administration to determine that this organization should be able to present on campus?

2) What criteria was used to determine that the presentation should take place during school hours?

3) What criteria was used to "hand pick" the students who were pulled out of class?

I suggested that in the future, such activities should be restricted to AFTER SCHOOL HOURS and be on a voluntary basis, not forced upon the students. I find it HIGHLY hypocritical for the School District as a whole to pat themselves on the back for trying to FORCE students to volunteer for a cause (the whole "Service Learning" initiative). What a crock. The students know they're expected to volunteer in order to qualify for the Bright Futures program. Let them decide if they want to attend the presentation (after school) and let them decide if they want to support the cause presented. Don't attempt to convert them to your political views, whatever they are. That is NOT why our kids go to school.

I find it even MORE hypocritical to try to excuse the fact that a student with (at the time) a 42 in Biology was pulled out of class for this, while the Florida legislature is considering making biology is required class for all high schoolers so that (presumably) kids broader exposure to science in high school.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_educati...
Hmmm

Fort Wayne, IN

#14 May 14, 2009
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Anyone notice how fast the Bob McKee quote disappeared? No, it wasn't from the real Bob McKee, but it does make you wonder if the real Bob made the fake Bob disappear.
Concerned Tax Payer

Winter Garden, FL

#15 May 14, 2009
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone notice how fast the Bob McKee quote disappeared? No, it wasn't from the real Bob McKee, but it does make you wonder if the real Bob made the fake Bob disappear.
Yep....even my reply from Bob's comments are gone.
Concerned Tax Payer

Winter Garden, FL

#16 May 14, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
When will someone WAKE UP and look into the ongoings at Oak Park Middle in Leesburg? I'm tired of my child's school being considered the "ghetto school" where "you can get away with everything." Someone is going to get seriously hurt there if the prinicipal isn't removed. Not only that, she has moved all the core 8th grade teachers to a different grade level for the 2009-2010 school year. These are the people that MADE this school an A school. She's destroying everything.
Instead of wasting your time writing here, take it up with the Superintendent. She needs to hear about the problems.
Big Jim

Eustis, FL

#17 May 14, 2009
Parent wrote:
Now fix South Lake High School
“D” rated High School
4th from the bottom in FCAT writing for all schools in the state with over 500 Students. There is over 150 Schools in this category
A Football coach who hit another football coach
A football team that can not have a Spring Game or Jamboree Game because of fighting
A Basketball coach arrested in Hillsborough County on Controlled Substance Charges
Maybe a change of Administration and Athletic leadership would help
Hey we'll give you our coach at Tavares, Gavin Jones, for a budding Jeff Demps. At least we got rid of our incompetent and lying principal Kathy Tatro. God help the kids at Astatula. As for Gavin he fathers kids out of wedlock. He and Utsman regularly cuss the kids. Sounds like he's ready for the NFL.(ps: That means Not For Long). Hopefully the new principal, June Dalton, will take swift and decisive action and correct Tatro's big mistake.
hmm

Lady Lake, FL

#18 May 14, 2009
Concerned Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of wasting your time writing here, take it up with the Superintendent. She needs to hear about the problems.
Oh she has. Several times. They have just failed to do anything about it. Instead they have moved the one AP there that was supportive in any way and left the leader of the insanity.
hmm

Lady Lake, FL

#19 May 14, 2009
Big Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Hey we'll give you our coach at Tavares, Gavin Jones, for a budding Jeff Demps. At least we got rid of our incompetent and lying principal Kathy Tatro. God help the kids at Astatula. As for Gavin he fathers kids out of wedlock. He and Utsman regularly cuss the kids. Sounds like he's ready for the NFL.(ps: That means Not For Long). Hopefully the new principal, June Dalton, will take swift and decisive action and correct Tatro's big mistake.
Seems like there are a good majority of administrators that need to be replaced. It seems to me that most of the principals in Lake County were nothing more than hacks who could not make it in the classroom.

Take Teasley for example, destoyed an elementary school and lost complete control of the discipline, then he gets moved to a High School as an Assistant Principal. Lake County has no accountability for incompetence. I bet that $450,000 that was lost last year went to bribing whoever it is who grade the FCATs to get the county an "A" rating.

However, I do find it interesting that there are other schools in Lake County that are as shady in their dealings as the Leesburg Schools.
hurricane hater

Tavares, FL

#20 May 15, 2009
Big Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Hey we'll give you our coach at Tavares, Gavin Jones, for a budding Jeff Demps. At least we got rid of our incompetent and lying principal Kathy Tatro. God help the kids at Astatula. As for Gavin he fathers kids out of wedlock. He and Utsman regularly cuss the kids. Sounds like he's ready for the NFL.(ps: That means Not For Long). Hopefully the new principal, June Dalton, will take swift and decisive action and correct Tatro's big mistake.
hey big jim check out 07-dr-0019051-o on orange county's clerk of the courts page about your highly esteemed wife beating coach, Gavin Jones which was disposed of less than17 months ago. Maybe he can whip those boys of yours into shape.
Come on

Lady Lake, FL

#21 May 15, 2009
hurricane hater wrote:
<quoted text>hey big jim check out 07-dr-0019051-o on orange county's clerk of the courts page about your highly esteemed wife beating coach, Gavin Jones which was disposed of less than17 months ago. Maybe he can whip those boys of yours into shape.
Nice...
Slantinel Demise

United States

#22 May 16, 2009
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone notice how fast the Bob McKee quote disappeared? No, it wasn't from the real Bob McKee, but it does make you wonder if the real Bob made the fake Bob disappear.
Yea he did, he runs everything including the slantinel and the comical. And the way he's running Lake County it will soon be in the same shape as the other two. Bankrupt.
Delusionole

Longwood, FL

#23 May 16, 2009
Bordenkircher is a spineless do nothing that sits around and collects a check. He is untouchable and unaccountable for anything. The worst I have seen.
Charlie Tuna

United States

#24 May 21, 2009
Stanaki Land deal in Volusia County could hurt Crists and McCollum . FDEP/ DSL was negotiating to buy land from a major Republican donor Mori Hosseini. In derrogation of a court ruling (Case 05-001852) Crist and Bush and granted development entitlements on the Land (FLAWC053106) while negotiations were in process. Hosseini was allowed to get new appraisals and raised the asking price from 8 to 16 million. Crist then had FDEP end negotiations and asked DCA to fund the purchase through a FCT Grant reimbursement program. This allowed new appraisals to be used by the State. Last Thursday (FCT Governing Board Meeting) DCA Secretary Pelham approved funding the purchase at the higher per acre price. FCT Director Reecy said the earlier FDEP appraisals and offers were "irrelevant" and removed them from the files prior to staff and Board review of the grant application (08-004-FF8). Both McCollum and Crist received donations before and since the Pioneer CDD was granted

UPDATE: CRIST APPOINTS HOSSEINI’S SISTER TO ST. JOHNS WATER ANAGEMENT BOARD

Gov. Charlie Crist has picked two new people to serve on the regional water management district board for Central Florida – a Volusia County engineer with development ties and an Alachua County law professor with environmental ties.
Crist named Maryam H. Ghyabi, 50, of Ormond Beach, and Richard G. Hamann, 58, of Gainesville, to the St. Johns River Water Management District governing board, which controls water consumption permits, approves wetland permits and decides how much water the local utilities can siphon from the St. Johns River. The district includes parts of 18 counties, including most of metro Orlando.
Ghyabi is president of Ghyabi & Associates, a transportation engineering and planning firm that has been a consultant on many local transportation issues. She is a sister of Mori Hosseini, a big-time developer based in Daytona Beach. Hosseini is a Republican super-fundraiser, ranking as a “Ranger” who raised at least $200,000 for President Bush's 2004 re-election campaign. Hosseini and his array of companies frequently show up in many elected officials' campaign finance reports.
Hamann teaches water and ecosystem law at the University of Florida's Center for Governmental Responsibility. His professional affiliations include the Florida Defenders of the Environment and the Alachua Conservation Trust.
If approved by the state Senate, Ghyabi would replace David G. Graham of Jacksonville and Hamann would replace Ann T. Moore, the Flagler County representative.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howey in the Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) 16 hr the Peoples Media 970
My tax money Feb 24 the Peoples Media 10
what ever happened to fired teacher john anselmo? (Nov '14) Feb 22 concerned 16
Review: Vista Clinical Diagnostics (Aug '11) Feb 22 Laurie Balinski 8
LAKE TAX COLLECTOR BOB McKEE HAS AT LEAST 4 DAT... Feb 20 The Peoples Media 3
News 'How is the housing market?' Feb 17 richie 1
Lcso same ol double standard Feb 11 The Peoples Media 20

Howey in the Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Howey in the Hills Mortgages