Firefighters forced out over outside ...

Firefighters forced out over outside work

There are 47 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Nov 10, 2007, titled Firefighters forced out over outside work. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Two high-ranking firefighters have been forced out of their jobs after an investigation revealed they were running a private inspection business using city resources, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Henry

Clearwater, FL

#2 Nov 10, 2007
Firing seems a bit harsh when a reprimand and reimbursement of whatever city equipment was used, would be appropriate. The city loses two valuable employees and incurs the expense of hiring new ones.
This was probably a union dictated action.
Fed Up

Orlando, FL

#3 Nov 10, 2007
Firefighters have the biggest racket going. Their Union was strong enough before 9/11 but they milked the nations sentiment for their own advantage.
Average Guy

Summerfield, FL

#4 Nov 10, 2007
Hugh Jass wrote:
Will it never end? Anyone that knows Jakki Perry knows she is lying. What a shame for her to conduct an "investigation" and cost these 2 fine men their jobs, all along she is doing the same thing!
Jay Evans is a disgrace for defending her, even when he knows it's wrong.
But stay tuned. Instead of hiring a professional, the Leesburg commission "settled" for Evans. Only more to come.
And you still wonder why they call it "Sleazeburg"?
Amen to that!! Jakki Perry is a hypicrite and needs to go. She has wronged many good people who have worked for Leesburg.
Hillary

Kissimmee, FL

#5 Nov 10, 2007
Fed Up wrote:
Firefighters have the biggest racket going. Their Union was strong enough before 9/11 but they milked the nations sentiment for their own advantage.
Well said! These local yokels have been riding on the FDNY coattails since 9/11. Like the danger of fighting a trailer fire compares to the stuff they face in NYC.
CallinItLikeItIs

Fort Wayne, IN

#6 Nov 10, 2007
Hugh Jass wrote:
Will it never end? Anyone that knows Jakki Perry knows she is lying. What a shame for her to conduct an "investigation" and cost these 2 fine men their jobs, all along she is doing the same thing!
Jay Evans is a disgrace for defending her, even when he knows it's wrong. But stay tuned. Instead of hiring a professional, the Leesburg commission "settled" for Evans. Only more to come.
And you still wonder why they call it "Sleazeburg"?
Let me make sure I understand...it would be less "sleazy" to sweep it under the rug than to fire the crooks stealing from the City? What kind of idiot are you? Ahh, you must be someone close to the crooks, and so naturally you are defending them. It's like the parent who blames the teacher when their child gets in trouble. I hope Evans "cans" everyone he finds stealing from the taxpayers!
Vivian

Clearwater, FL

#7 Nov 10, 2007
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said! These local yokels have been riding on the FDNY coattails since 9/11. Like the danger of fighting a trailer fire compares to the stuff they face in NYC.
My uncle teaches fire courses at the fire school on Lane Park Rd. and says that the Leesburg, Tavares, and Eustis firefighters are the most arrogant he's ever seen. He says the bigger city guys are pretty laid back but the small town ones have that "hero" syndrome, even though they never have any fires.
POOEY

Auburn Hills, MI

#10 Nov 10, 2007
Something stinks in Sleazeburg and it's not the juice plant.It must be comming from Evans as he is being lead around by his nose ring by unseen forces.
Dismayed

Windermere, FL

#11 Nov 10, 2007
There are lots of ways employees steal from the government agencies. If you fired everyone who's ever taken anything (pens, paper clips, using the copy machine), or used time for personal business (phone calls, faxes, emails) or taken too many breaks, you wouldn't have anyone left.

I think these guys should have been afforded due process. When it was found out they did the first thing wrong, was it brought to their attention with a reprimand and time to correct the matter? Or did the city wait and do a whole investigation and then confront them? Sounds like a lot of this investigation/firing was done through the back door.
FFWife

Apopka, FL

#13 Nov 11, 2007
Last time I looked, a NY fire looked pretty close to the same as a Florida fire, so Hillary - when your house burns and you need the local FF to come and save your property, pets and livlihood please be sure to tell them no thank you and that you'll wait for the NY guys to get here.
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said! These local yokels have been riding on the FDNY coattails since 9/11. Like the danger of fighting a trailer fire compares to the stuff they face in NYC.
NYC

Orlando, FL

#14 Nov 11, 2007
Florida fire fighters spend 90 % of their at fender benders. There is no comparison to that and the dangers "real" firefighters face.
FFWife wrote:
Last time I looked, a NY fire looked pretty close to the same as a Florida fire, so Hillary - when your house burns and you need the local FF to come and save your property, pets and livlihood please be sure to tell them no thank you and that you'll wait for the NY guys to get here.
<quoted text>
Hillary

Kissimmee, FL

#15 Nov 11, 2007
FFWife wrote:
Last time I looked, a NY fire looked pretty close to the same as a Florida fire, so Hillary - when your house burns and you need the local FF to come and save your property, pets and livlihood please be sure to tell them no thank you and that you'll wait for the NY guys to get here.
<quoted text>
Let me educate you.
Typical NYC Fire:


Typical Florida Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Hillary

Kissimmee, FL

#16 Nov 11, 2007
Oops...
This is the link to Typical Florida Fire:
Gary

Clearwater, FL

#17 Nov 11, 2007
I wondered how long it would take the fire union bozos to come out of the woodwork. I work in Leesburg and have watched these buffoons burn a house down. Started in the garage and they successfully pushed it all the way through the house until it was completely involved in fire.

No comparison to FDNY. I have yet to see high rises, tenaments, dock warehouses, or shipyard fires in Leesburg. These small town yokels only think they are heroes...that's why they brag about it. Real heroes don't brag.
Marjaypen - Groveland

Apopka, FL

#18 Nov 11, 2007
Well Hillary, the next time your trailer catches on fire or you need EMS to respond, why don't you just handle it yourself. Personally, I would think fire burns as hotly in Leesburg, as it does in NYC. I appreciate the sacrifice all the first responders make on a daily basis to provide safety for our communities. This entire story wreaks of high-ranking political maneuvers. Perhaps those bringing the allegations, should be investigated.
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said! These local yokels have been riding on the FDNY coattails since 9/11. Like the danger of fighting a trailer fire compares to the stuff they face in NYC.
Marjaypen - Groveland

Apopka, FL

#19 Nov 11, 2007
I agree with you wholeheartedly Henry, that if allegations were actually proven to be true, disciplinery measures should be taken and reimbursement of funds required. How can removing two valueable, skilled and knowledgeable professionals be justified for a supposed misappropriation of $4800, when others are allowed to "consult" and earn 30K a year? However, as is always the case, the sensational, supposedly gospel headlines are printed, with no representation of those accused. Sounds like city officials playing coverup and/or favorites. Let's see the Sentinel step up to the plate for a change and conduct a thoroughly investigated follow up story.
Henry wrote:
Firing seems a bit harsh when a reprimand and reimbursement of whatever city equipment was used, would be appropriate. The city loses two valuable employees and incurs the expense of hiring new ones.
This was probably a union dictated action.
Marjaypen - Groveland

Apopka, FL

#20 Nov 11, 2007
What would actually be refreshing, would be an honest account of the facts from Leesburg officials. How can they call two career professionals exemplerary employees and then fire them? Sounds a bit fishy to me. And I agree, sweeping anything under the rug is dilaterious. I think it's time for an honest, outside investigation of the city officials and the Leesburg Fire Department. You don't have to be close to this situation to think something doesn't add up!
CallinItLikeItIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me make sure I understand...it would be less "sleazy" to sweep it under the rug than to fire the crooks stealing from the City? What kind of idiot are you? Ahh, you must be someone close to the crooks, and so naturally you are defending them. It's like the parent who blames the teacher when their child gets in trouble. I hope Evans "cans" everyone he finds stealing from the taxpayers!
Cynthia

Clearwater, FL

#21 Nov 11, 2007
Marjaypen - Groveland wrote:
Well Hillary, the next time your trailer catches on fire or you need EMS to respond, why don't you just handle it yourself. Personally, I would think fire burns as hotly in Leesburg, as it does in NYC. I appreciate the sacrifice all the first responders make on a daily basis to provide safety for our communities. This entire story wreaks of high-ranking political maneuvers. Perhaps those bringing the allegations, should be investigated. <quoted text>
My God! Can't you fire union losers come up with another response? The "next time your (insert derogatory word for home here) catches on fire....".
Your arrogance does prove that you aren't worth what you're paid.
BTW...From what I've heard, she'd have a better chance of putting her fire out doing it herself than calling you bozos. No matter what...you aren't FDNY and never will be. And....why do you refuse to do random drug testing? HMMM?
FFWife

Apopka, FL

#22 Nov 11, 2007
I find it insulting to say the least that the only department that measures up, in YOUR eyes, is FDNY! How can you discount other departments around the country that have sacrificed even ONE firefighter - is that what counts to you? Only the numbers and loss of life? You obviously are NOT part of the firefighting community because if you were, you'd be shamed at what you imply. Union or not - these men and women put their lives on the line everyday, whether it be in a Florida fire, a FENDER BENDER (Shane Kelly ring a bell to anyone?) a high rise in NYC or a furniture store in Charleston, SC. They don't think about their families waiting for them to come home when the call comes in - they do their job.
Cynthia wrote:
<quoted text>
My God! Can't you fire union losers come up with another response? The "next time your (insert derogatory word for home here) catches on fire....".
Your arrogance does prove that you aren't worth what you're paid.
BTW...From what I've heard, she'd have a better chance of putting her fire out doing it herself than calling you bozos. No matter what...you aren't FDNY and never will be. And....why do you refuse to do random drug testing? HMMM?
Marjaypen - Groveland

Apopka, FL

#23 Nov 11, 2007
Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a FF, union member or bozo. Just an average citizen who can see a poorly written, poorly researched story for what it is, who happens to have a high opinion of First Responders.
Cynthia wrote:
<quoted text>
My God! Can't you fire union losers come up with another response? The "next time your (insert derogatory word for home here) catches on fire....".
Your arrogance does prove that you aren't worth what you're paid.
BTW...From what I've heard, she'd have a better chance of putting her fire out doing it herself than calling you bozos. No matter what...you aren't FDNY and never will be. And....why do you refuse to do random drug testing? HMMM?
Cynthia

Clearwater, FL

#24 Nov 11, 2007
FFWife wrote:
I find it insulting to say the least that the only department that measures up, in YOUR eyes, is FDNY! How can you discount other departments around the country that have sacrificed even ONE firefighter - is that what counts to you? Only the numbers and loss of life? You obviously are NOT part of the firefighting community because if you were, you'd be shamed at what you imply. Union or not - these men and women put their lives on the line everyday, whether it be in a Florida fire, a FENDER BENDER (Shane Kelly ring a bell to anyone?) a high rise in NYC or a furniture store in Charleston, SC. They don't think about their families waiting for them to come home when the call comes in - they do their job.
<quoted text>
And exactly how many firefighters have been killed in the line of duty in Leesburg? Tavares? Mt. Dora? Eustis? Give me a break! I'm not talking about the hero crap...and don't feed me that "putting life on the line everyday". Department of labor stats show that they aren't even in the top 10 of most dangerous occupations. Sanitation workers have a higher rate of fatalities than firefighters but it isn't as glamorous to read about and they don't die in crews.
(Now do your standard reply about "the next time you have a fire....call )

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howey in the Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cowards and crime 4 hr Hank 26
Ok its time to take a stand!!!!!! (Jul '16) 8 hr Hank 123
attempted murder victim is son of lcso lieut... (Jul '12) Wed CaptsRevenge 9
5th Circuit State Attorney Agenda Exposed By Ma... (Aug '16) May 21 The Peoples Media 4
who is lauren ritchie? (Sep '15) May 20 The Peoples Media 62
News Illegal Alien Pedophile on the Run from Mexican... (Nov '13) May 15 jack cass 38
News FDLE: Body found last week is that of missing F... May 9 chloie 1

Howey in the Hills Jobs

Personal Finance

Howey in the Hills Mortgages