Didn't he say taxes will drop 'like a rock'? -- OrlandoSentinel...

There are 30 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 12, 2007, titled Didn't he say taxes will drop 'like a rock'? -- OrlandoSentinel.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

I got took. I thought the Florida Legislature had started a property-tax cutback that was going to reverberate down the spines of bureaucrats for years to come.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mad about the whole deal

San Antonio, TX

#22 Aug 14, 2007
I think we ought to do like China does with their disgraced officials - Bring charges, convict them and promptly send them to jail or worse.
Ill bet after the first two or three of them being hauled off the rest would wake up and take notice and we wouldnt have this governmental abuse problem.
Parker Nash Lovell

AOL

#23 Aug 14, 2007
In the field of Journalism, Lauren Ritchie continues to be unparalleled in her dedication to local issues and local people, and to her honesty and gutsiness as a reporter. Her razor-edged insight into the workings of powerful people continues to stun me, after all these years.
Kilgore Trout

Winter Park, FL

#24 Aug 15, 2007
She is not a reporter she is an opinion columnist. She might even be a Hack,:a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for commercial success
BuckStripes

AOL

#25 Aug 15, 2007
...Hi Ho, Kilgore...Are you channeling Kurt from the parallel of his current universe?
...If so, please tell him to return. I miss him already...
...You're awfully hard on Miss Lauren. Do you know her? Well? Did she also spurn you for another? Weep not, there's more fish spawning about in the trout stream...:-)
BuckStripes

AOL

#26 Aug 15, 2007
...HaHaHaHa...Censored!
...That's Hi H...O...
Ozzie

Safety Harbor, FL

#27 Aug 16, 2007
Tavares' arrogance in refusing to cut the tax rate is equivalent to a 25% tax increase? Glad I moved. What the hell are they spending the money on..there's nothing downtown.
The Kid Rides Again

Trenton, NJ

#28 Aug 16, 2007
Maybe if people who do not have kids in the school system would start running for the elected positions on the board, they may be able to hold the spending down.

To many people on school boards are looking out for their kids instead of the best interest of all of the taxpayers.
Sidney

Safety Harbor, FL

#29 Aug 16, 2007
bob wrote:
Generalities, generalities, and more generalities--where are the specifics in this column? What-specifically--would the writer do away with in the City budget? Does she want to do away with street sweeping--causing additional pollution to the lakes? Eliminate parks and recreation? Delay replacing fire engines and police cars until they break down on the way to a disaster? Does she think the quality of life the City provides is already too good for you?
Put your money where your mouth is Lauren--get off your stump and get down in the trenches and tell the readers specifically where you would cut in each City and see if your readers still want to consider you their champion!
You must work for one of the cities involved. I have been in city government for 20 years (6 as a department head) and there are cuts that can be made. Every department head has projects that "must" be done and capital items that "must" be bought and everyone goes to the hill to die for thier cause. I know there is fat in city budgets because I've been there. And... the scare tactics about fire/police don't get it. NYC has engines that are 30 years old and still operate daily. These small towns buy new fire trucks at the drop of a hat and have virtually no calls anyway. In Lake County, city fire departments could be combined with the County and would save millions right off the bat and not affect service in the least.
Lauren is right on with this issue and I doubt will be affected by the apologists for the cities.
New Thinking

United States

#30 Aug 17, 2007
The idea that local taxes should be based on perceived market value of a home is fundamentally flawed.

Why are individuals being taxed on money they don't really have?

The original idea was that it was loosely population based, so local gov't could have money available for services based on how many people they had to serve. However, it's gotten out-of-hand.

How about local gov't doing a flat tax rate based on local census-derived population? Two problems solved at one time...
Jim

Winter Haven, FL

#31 Aug 22, 2007
He is a specific for you BOB. My tax bill in the mail today is a 90% increase over last year. and my assessed value of my house is up 92% while the market value has declined 10%. WTF!

The FAT times of the last 4 years in homes sales are over, lets return to a 2004 budget for the cities. Where we had about the same hoome prices as today and Police and clean streets and schools.
bob wrote:
Generalities, generalities, and more generalities--where are the specifics in this column? What-specifically--would the writer do away with in the City budget? Does she want to do away with street sweeping--causing additional pollution to the lakes? Eliminate parks and recreation? Delay replacing fire engines and police cars until they break down on the way to a disaster? Does she think the quality of life the City provides is already too good for you?
Put your money where your mouth is Lauren--get off your stump and get down in the trenches and tell the readers specifically where you would cut in each City and see if your readers still want to consider you their champion!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howey in the Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) 11 hr SMH 670
two little clavettes Tue dcffcd 1
Suspect with a knife in Eustis May 3 just wondering 4
Corruption pays in LCSO Apr 28 SMH 24
Too Disabled To Work A Job... Apr 27 Tramadol99 1
Drugged UP 300 Games... Apr 27 IronGateCommunity 1
Albert Rohe (Mar '12) Apr 27 Laker 34
More from around the web

Howey in the Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE