Orlando-area students don't let recession derail prom dreams

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Mykerlie Lachapelle, a senior at Jones High School, gets help from Ivy Fowler while looking at prom dresses at Jones.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jun 1, 2009
Theresa Schwitz

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

This is a great story ! I have read so many stories about this extradionary lady ! What she is doing is a model for the Community and should be a National Model. I am amazed in her work at the school. To be able to give back like this, someone in President Obama's Office should see this ! She has inspired me to reach out to students as well. It is something else. How do I contact her, I want to meet her.
Chris R

Bloomingdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

Oh yes, prices for prom services including prom limo rental services are going down this year.

Chris
http://stretchlimochicago.com/PromLimousineSe...
Citizen Cane sez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

high school prom spending has been out of control for years. Cutting back probably means spending less than $1,000. lol!!!
THIS IS NOT BREAKING NEWS

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

Chris R wrote:
Oh yes, prices for prom services including prom limo rental services are going down this year.
Chris
http://stretchlimochicago.com/PromLimousineSe...
Gee if you were in Florida maybe your could actually comment on prices here. I am a limo company.If I could get anywhere close to those prices for Chicago at anytime. I would gladly lower our prices. We are already got our prices at the lowest we can go without running our vehicles into the ground and keeping them from being a junker.
downtown resident

Saint Cloud, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

These poor kids. How will they ever enjoy life if they dont have money to go the prom?
WTH

Mims, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

downtown resident wrote:
These poor kids. How will they ever enjoy life if they dont have money to go the prom?
Fuddy duddy. Sounds like somebody never got a date to their prom, huh?

You get to be a Senior in high school once. You get to go to your Senior Prom once. No, you don't have to spend a lot of money...but they should have a chance to go out & have some fun. Why should they suffer because the adults around them have totally screwed up their finances?
downtown resident

Saint Cloud, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

WTH wrote:
<quoted text>
You get to be a Senior in high school once. You get to go to your Senior Prom once. No, you don't have to spend a lot of money...but they should have a chance to go out & have some fun. Why should they suffer because the adults around them have totally screwed up their finances?
You using the term "suffer" very loosely there. One can just read the history and current events of our and other countries to know the definition of "suffering".

My remark was only tongue and cheek at how some people can take things for granted.
Just a Thought

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

Good for all of them , Have Fun, and Enjoy
FedUp

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

We had our prom in the school gym and nobody complained. It's a high school event, there's no reason it can't, and shouldn't, be at the school. That would cut your prices quite a bit. I don't get the need for a high-priced venue.
WPHS Grad

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

I think this might actually be a good lesson for the students on how to have a good time while also being smart with the money they have available. I wish I were still at Winter Park - a prom at the Harley place sounds like a lot fun!
LYMAN ALUMNI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Kudos to Winter Park for scaling down and having their prom at a non traditional venue. They will have more fun and make great memories. I guess they don't feel they have to make a show like the Lyman kids at Gaylord Palms. It doesn't get any better.....while planning our reunion, we still had the people who wanted it at a fancy hotel instead of something affordable.
Winter Park kids have money and guess they don't have to fake it.
LYMAN ALUMNI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

WTH wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a "fuddy duddy" and I had a date (even got to turn a couple of offers down !).

Prom is one night. It doesn't define you, your highschool career or even your future. Once I got to college and pledged a sorority it made my prom seem very juvenile.
As for the farewell gift....carted it around in my personal stuff for a few years and finally realized it meant nothing and threw it away.
I would have NEVER put my family's finances in jeopardy for an event that lasted only a few hours and really wasn't that much fun.( it was the beach party afterward that was !)

A few years ago, my neighbor's daughter & most of her clique were struggling with the cost of prom--almost $200 for a couple of tickets and then the dress, dinner ect ect..
They decided to boycott and have a party at her house. About 40 kids were there ( most with dates ). Many of the parents chipped in for food....there were steaks on the grill, seafood, pasta, you name it. They had a local highschool band who also served as the DJ.
Another parent set up a wicker peacock chair with balloons ect and did professional quality photos. I went over and helped out and kept thinking, "these kids are having a blast. Why didn't my class think about this".
Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2009

downtown resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You using the term "suffer" very loosely there. One can just read the history and current events of our and other countries to know the definition of "suffering".
My remark was only tongue and cheek at how some people can take things for granted.
Just give this country a few years under Obama and the Dumbocrats,.....you haven't seen any suffering like what's to come.
Is the government going to employ everybody? All this government spending first under Bush and then 10 times worse under Obama is going to drown us.
All this money Obama is spending is being borrowed and the average person is totally oblivious to what's going on. All they do is listen to the Dumbocrats camouflage their out of control non stop spending with their constant criticism of the Bush administration. Their strategy is obvious,....they keep blaming the Bush administration as long as possible for all the current problems as well as the necessity to continue the outrageous spending.
In the long run because half the country unfortunately isn't smart enough to recognize the disaster they're creating, they're being allowed to get away with it, but we'll all have to suffer for it.
Amanda

Cape Canaveral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Craigs list have ALOT of prom/Formal dresses cheap and VERY NICE, some almost not even used!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Howey in the Hills Discussions

Search the Howey in the Hills Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 8 hr Space Shrinker 2,932
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 12 hr Arthur 2,403
Sheriff Borders wants $3 Million to buy off the... 14 hr unionize now 30
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) 19 hr educate yourself 504
looking for my high school sweet hart Cherise V... Tue HectorLopez 1
Jail (Jul '13) Jul 28 the trouble of it is 68
Covering Up Child Rapes (Jan '11) Jul 28 mommadona 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Howey in the Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000