Young Gay Student Stands Up for Teacher

Young Gay Student Stands Up for Teacher

There are 9 comments on the Edge San Francisco story from Nov 15, 2010, titled Young Gay Student Stands Up for Teacher. In it, Edge San Francisco reports that:

A young gay student was one of a number of supporters who stuck up for an embattled schoolteacher in Michigan during a Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edge San Francisco.

Brian

Portsmouth, RI

#1 Nov 15, 2010
"which Glowacki stating that he was a Christian and did not support the gay 'lifestyle.'"

So how about gays tat don't support the christian "lifestyle". They don't have equal rights?

It's a one way street with those christians.

Since: May 09

Yacolt, WA

#2 Nov 15, 2010
Brian wrote:
"which Glowacki stating that he was a Christian and did not support the gay 'lifestyle.'"
So how about gays tat don't support the christian "lifestyle". They don't have equal rights?
Apples and oranges Brian. Being gay is an act of nature, an act of birth. Being christian is a choice. Being gay is being a person focused on love who only desires to be allowed to love as god/goddess has given him or her the means to love. Being christian is being a person focused on hate for all who refuse to give in to that particular form of brain washing. God/goddess is love. Love cannot hate. Gay folks seek only the right to love without fear. Christians seek to instill fear into gay children because god/goddess chose to create them different. Which is closer to god/goddess?

Since: Jun 10

Sarasota, FL

#3 Nov 15, 2010
Rev Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Apples and oranges Brian. Being gay is an act of nature, an act of birth. Being christian is a choice. Being gay is being a person focused on love who only desires to be allowed to love as god/goddess has given him or her the means to love. Being christian is being a person focused on hate for all who refuse to give in to that particular form of brain washing. God/goddess is love. Love cannot hate. Gay folks seek only the right to love without fear. Christians seek to instill fear into gay children because god/goddess chose to create them different. Which is closer to god/goddess?
Rev Ray, Yes, being gay is an act of nature and being Christian is a choice. Please do not lump all of us Christians in with the ones you are describing in your statement. Some of us Christians are even gay. Some of us Christians do not hate, instill fear in our children, or practice brain-washing. Some of us have actually learned to "love your neighbor" and not wave our fists.

Thank you.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Nov 16, 2010
Brian wrote:
I'm a gay man. Raised to be a Christian. I support "the christian lifestyle" as much as I support any other "lifestyle". Does this mean I feel everyone must believe everything I do and reject everything else? of course not.

And THAT is the difference between me and the people you describe as "christian". It is much like saying "Israel's right to exist". There is a huge difference between leaving Israel alone and wanting it destroyed.

I often wonder how people like these "Christians" would react if a law was passed that said only marriages from a certain Christian Churches (say Eastern Orthodox or Catholic) would be legal and only Eastern Right or Catholic Christians could serve "openly" in our Military.

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly.
- St. Francis de Sales
Sami

Howell, MI

#5 Nov 18, 2010
IMO, this teacher had no right to ask the student if he accepted gays....period. It was an inappropriate question for the teacher to ask and if it were never asked the student wouldn't even have had to give his opinion.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#6 Nov 18, 2010
Sami wrote:
IMO, this teacher had no right to ask the student if he accepted gays....period. It was an inappropriate question for the teacher to ask and if it were never asked the student wouldn't even have had to give his opinion.
so we ban free speech in our public schools

BRILLIANT

Seig Heil!

“I'm not gay, I'm celisexual!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#7 Nov 18, 2010
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>so we ban free speech in our public schools
BRILLIANT
Seig Heil!
David, it can be argued that being punished for saying he doesn't accept gays or the gay lifestyle or whatever it was is a violation of the students free speech.

Sarasota, FL

#8 Nov 18, 2010
Sami wrote:
I read the article in detail, twice. I do not see anything that says the teacher "asked" the student about his beliefs. The student brought up the issue regarding the purple shirts people were wearing versus the confederate flag belt buckle another student was wearing. It really helps when you read the article carefully before commenting.

Sarasota, FL

#11 Nov 21, 2010
Mjolnir wrote:
<quoted text>The most valuable lesson children can learn today is that wherever and whenever they encounter liberals, they will be confronted with people who stand for abolition of all personal freedoms and civil liberties.
The sooner kids find out that liberals consider everyone government property, the better so that they needn't suffer under ridiculous illusions.
Dear Mjolnir, Do you believe in my freedom to marry the one adult human that I choose to marry? If not, then by your definition, you are among those liberals of whom you speak -- people who stand for abolition of all personal freedoms. It is the republicans who have lost their way by fighting against the personal freedom of the LGBT peoples to marry (within their own churches) and be recognized by society as married for all legal interests.

I was a teacher for almost 10 years. There is a time and a place for discussion of topics that are not withing the schedule of the lesson at hand. Any discussion outside of the lesson at hand is a detractor from the educational process and must be quickly and appropriately removed. A discussion of one's religious beliefs regarding ANYTHING should be left to a class on religious studies, not mathematics, language arts, etc. Did the teacher handle it well? Perhaps, perhaps not. We weren't there so we will never really know. Was the teacher correct in putting a stop to a conversation that was not in the lesson? Yes -- and it did not impinge anyone's right to freedom of speech to do so.

As for the confederate flag belt buckle, the teacher was following the lead of the district leadership in determining that the presence of the symbol in school was a detractor to the educational process. Does that symbol bother me? No -- I am not intimidated by the confederate flag because I remember it for some of the positives that it represented (not slavery, but the independent spirit of man).

Please don't paint everyone with the same brush stroke. Not all of us liberals are trying to accomplish what you describe. From our side it feels to us much the other way, but I know that not all conservatives agree on every area so I do not blame them all for the problems we have -- just the ones whose names are signed to the laws that prohibit my freedom to serve my country and marry the one I love.

Can't we all just learn to get along???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dish Network $50 off your bill! Aug 19 teeohhem 1
News Mugg & Bopps stores seized (Sep '08) Aug 14 running in the wind 7
Brennen Needs to Retire (Nov '14) Aug 4 Proudly VH 2
Review: Cruz'n Quick Lube Aug 4 jbmm 1
Poll IS The Fenton Freedom Center a dangerous cult? (Nov '07) Aug 1 FentonFrank 99
News Doctor will go to trial in new case (Nov '14) Jul '15 jon my ass 2
News Mormonism: Family works to correct common misco... (Feb '12) Jul '15 Who cares 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Howell Mortgages