Neighbors Concerned Over Proposed Albemarle County Firing Range - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA ...

A proposed firing range is drawing more ire in southern Albemarle County. People who live nearby are worried the range will have serious effects on their quality of life, and want county supervisors to do something about it. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
thinking free

Richmond, VA

#1 Oct 3, 2012
Snipers usually use 308 caliber rounds, I've even heard of cops practicing with 50cal. Whichever, the decibel level generated by even 10mil and 45cal handguns along with automatic weapons fire will cause the resulting sound waves to travel for miles all around. Throw in the safety factor and residents will not like this at all. Oh, and by the way, who gonna pay for this?
really

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Oct 3, 2012
The same cops that will be shooting at this new range are the same cops responsible for all of the accidents at the other local range that they got run away from. If I lived anywhere near this new range, I would either build a really tall bullet catching wall of dirt around my property or just sell your land. You would be safer in Iraq than near these guys firing their weapons!
Forget it

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Oct 3, 2012
On cold, clear winter days the sound will travel to Scottsville....the gov't will do what they want to do!
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Oct 3, 2012
Watch out for your children playing in the yard and your animals for stray bullets coming by your house. Why don't they keep the one they got now if it is so safe? If they moved there I wouldn't give you a hundred dollars for your land because you couldn't sleep there you couldn't go out side so why would you want to buy or live there. BAD call by the COUNTY or anyone who likes this kind of idea.
James Bond

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Oct 3, 2012
really wrote:
The same cops that will be shooting at this new range are the same cops responsible for all of the accidents at the other local range that they got run away from. If I lived anywhere near this new range, I would either build a really tall bullet catching wall of dirt around my property or just sell your land. You would be safer in Iraq than near these guys firing their weapons!
Agreed. One of the first cop injuries was when a county police training officer shot himself in the leg.
right

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Oct 3, 2012
Put this facility indoors where the sound can be contained and not be a problem for the neighbors.
Gail Hobbs Page

Catlett, VA

#7 Oct 3, 2012
This proposed firing range will put an END to Agritourism in Southern Albemarle County.We should also consider the safety of the neighborhood in regard to this. Thank you, Channel 29 for your attention to this very important story.
Gail Hobbs Page
Caromont Farm
Crack Scooter

Moneta, VA

#8 Oct 3, 2012
Why not put the range near 10th street or any of several downtown locations where the cops can use their sharpened skills as they try to get back to their cars?
SSDI Escalade

Moneta, VA

#9 Oct 3, 2012
Can local politicians hold the targets for vision impaired policemen that are trying to qualify?
TEX

Palmyra, VA

#10 Oct 3, 2012
there are areas that have regular periods of randoim gunfare why not let the cops practice there who would notice the difference they might even accidently hit a few of the local gang-bangers
cotaxpayer

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Oct 3, 2012
Sure, I vote to turn it back into a landfill again...
irony

United States

#12 Oct 3, 2012
so... you chose to live by the landfill in a rural area and your primary concern is noise pollution? agritourism? yeah right... whose paying for it? taxes pay for police training and county owned dump land is free... hear it in scottsville? theres no way... do people shoot guns on their own land in rural areas all the time anyways? absolutely, legal according to the county code... safety issues? nope... put up a roof? yes, so officers can shoot comfortably in the rain... quit being so sensitive? you can try but you'd still be too uptight...
StepinFetchit

Floyd, VA

#13 Oct 3, 2012
Hey, "thinking free" and a few others, you may have a point about the noise and I hope you will hide downrange and get some DB readings. Do your part to stop a cop...from honing his/ her skills to protect & serve. Kind of as a public service on your part.

Yeah, that's it, just crouch down behind that shrub near the backstop. Now listen to hear that one you won't hear.
Peace, out.

R.I.P.: Annie Oakley
NormanT

Queen Creek, AZ

#14 Oct 4, 2012
right wrote:
Put this facility indoors where the sound can be contained and not be a problem for the neighbors.
Don't think it would be cost effective. Snipers need some distance for training, plus a backstop that's capable of stopping 7.62 rounds or bigger.
Dave

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Oct 4, 2012
These complaints are textbook NIBMY. NOT HERE!!!! They don't suggest WHERE, just not HERE. Go bother someone else just don't bother me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee!!!!!!

Gunfire....the sound of freedom. I love the sound of gunfire and the smell of gunsmoke. These NIMBYS need to shut up and take one for the team.
sez you

Richmond, VA

#18 Jan 22, 2013
NormanT wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think it would be cost effective. Snipers need some distance for training, plus a backstop that's capable of stopping 7.62 rounds or bigger.
Whens the last time we needed a sniper around here? like never. If we did the state has em, we don't need em. Cowboy
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#19 Jan 22, 2013
right wrote:
You get a clueless for offering a solution? Furthermore, obstacles can put in on a indoor course with pop up criminals. It only makes sense. Shooting at paper 20 to 50 meters away is not going to prepare you for unanticipated events.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#20 Jan 22, 2013
NormanT wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't read anything about snipers. Don't they train on sniper ranges on military bases anyhow?
Huh

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jan 22, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't read anything about snipers. Don't they train on sniper ranges on military bases anyhow?
The average urban sniping distance is 77 yards. And no, generally only military snipers train on military ranges. Finally, the role of police snipers and military snipers is as different as night and day.
Stickman

Washington, DC

#22 Mar 6, 2013
So where would you like for your local law enforcement to train? FYI, currently they have NO RANGE to train at. For many years they have been graciously allowed to use a range that is part of a rifle club. That club has (because its there for the use of its paying members), recently limited the time available. Officers MUST quality every year, all of them, that's a lot of range time. Not every officer can go on the few days available, they need to do their job too. 99% of the weapons used fall under 9mm & 40 cal pistols, shotguns, and AR's. Its also done almost entirely during the day. So, even if you don't care if the armed officers working for and among the public are proficient with their firearms. Its still required by the state that they do quality yearly to be able to hold the position of law enforcement officer.

Its not a cool new toy, or some high priced perk. Its a nessesary need that needs to be filled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howardsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 8 hr gwsbadass 1,360
Sandra Bowles Johnson Sep 24 mandy 1
Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse Aug '14 test 1
Jason Emmons Aug '14 Love Me 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug '14 Time Flys 2,545
UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... Jul '14 Robin Floyd 1
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr '14 Jim 1,432

Howardsville Jobs

Howardsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Howardsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Howardsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]