Howardsville Boat Ramp Battle

Boaters on the James River have one less stop in Southern Albemarle County, at least for the time being. Full Story
ActionJackson

Bassett, VA

#2 Jun 4, 2010
Having used that river access for Scout trips & many personal fishing trips, this sounds like a good reason for "eminent domain" to step in. I would be in favor for the county to buy that land from Mr Crews...heck, they spent all that money for the Biscuit Run non-project.
A River Lover

Stuarts Draft, VA

#3 Jun 4, 2010
I think that Jimmy needs to realize that he is effecting many lives in the surrounding areas. Jimmy needs to open it back up its not fair to the people that have been going to the river their whole lives. There was no problem when it was open so i don't understand why it is closed now. HE doesn't understand that people go to the river to have fun and he should not take that away from us. SUMMER FUN HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM US AND WE WANT IT BACK!!!
Howardsville Resident

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jun 4, 2010
A River Lover wrote:
I think that Jimmy needs to realize that he is effecting many lives in the surrounding areas. Jimmy needs to open it back up its not fair to the people that have been going to the river their whole lives. There was no problem when it was open so i don't understand why it is closed now. HE doesn't understand that people go to the river to have fun and he should not take that away from us. SUMMER FUN HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM US AND WE WANT IT BACK!!!
Miserable people love to spread misery!! He DOES realize it affects many lives and is hoping that will get him more $$$!!
Darwin

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jun 4, 2010
A River Lover wrote:
THEN PAY THE MAN AND STOP WHINING!
Scottsville Resident

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jun 4, 2010
What many people fail to realize is that these public landings are surrounded by private land and residences, and that the owners of these areas usually bend over backwards to allow access, parking, etc. Unfortunately, this generosity and respect is not reciprocated - I often find people trashing these public landings on the James, and it's a real shame. Maybe if people were more considerate, and made an effort to respect those who live near these areas, landowners would be more willing to open access points up to the public, and we could all enjoy the river more. Not trying to instigate anything, just putting in my two cents.
local

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jun 5, 2010
the man does not have insurance coverage if someone gets hurt on his property. given that we live in a litigious society it would be only a matter of time before someone got hurt and sued mr. crews. those of you that complain probably fall into this category. if you want access to the ramp, shut up and go ask permission. or petition the state to renegotiate the lease. seems none of you have issues with posted signs on your own property denying access to appealing, potential recreation areas, what gives you the right to complain about what this man does with his property? and i grew up in howardsville. the previous property owner had great trouble keeping his land clean and litter free, most likely due to those of you who don't live there, don't truly appreciate the outdoors and are just plain stupid. and get your facts straight...the county told him he could build there given he met certain requirements, which he did. then the county changed their mind and forced him to remove his home.
Howardsville Resident

United States

#12 Jun 5, 2010
local wrote:
the man does not have insurance coverage if someone gets hurt on his property. given that we live in a litigious society it would be only a matter of time before someone got hurt and sued mr. crews. those of you that complain probably fall into this category. if you want access to the ramp, shut up and go ask permission. or petition the state to renegotiate the lease. seems none of you have issues with posted signs on your own property denying access to appealing, potential recreation areas, what gives you the right to complain about what this man does with his property? and i grew up in howardsville. the previous property owner had great trouble keeping his land clean and litter free, most likely due to those of you who don't live there, don't truly appreciate the outdoors and are just plain stupid. and get your facts straight...the county told him he could build there given he met certain requirements, which he did. then the county changed their mind and forced him to remove his home.
And I guess putting in a septic system in the middle of the night was one of the county requirements. I would very much so love to see the reporter who broke this story do some research and report back to us what he/she finds reguarding the "dispute" between Mr. Crews and the county.
local

Crozet, VA

#13 Jun 5, 2010
Howardsville Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
And I guess putting in a septic system in the middle of the night was one of the county requirements. I would very much so love to see the reporter who broke this story do some research and report back to us what he/she finds reguarding the "dispute" between Mr. Crews and the county.
wow! really? this is ridiculous. it is his land. he inherited it. get over it. find a cause that is worthwhile to support. something. how many times in the past twenty years have you gone down and picked up trash for the sake of keeping howardsville beautiful? you sound like a transplant, not a native....if you want access to the river, buy available land adjacent to the river...or, talk to the county officials and ask them to work a deal with mr. crews. IT IS HIS LAND, PEOPLE!!
local

Crozet, VA

#14 Jun 5, 2010
<quoted text>
also, howardsville resident, are you willing to let folks walk around your property knowing that if someone gets hurt, there is a chance you will be sued for everything you own? the problem is this litigious society and the lack of respect for others property. i am a native, resident, and if you want to go for a swim in the area, you can. it is surprising what folks will do for you if you just talk to them. maybe not with your bad attitude, but...
sam

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jun 5, 2010
the liability I can understand. But you can't put a septic system in the James' flood plain. Just because you inherited your land doesn't give you the right to sh*t on everyone down river.
ozone

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jun 6, 2010
I think Jimmy should set a booth at the entrance to his property and charge by the car and by the person to enter (his) property its his land if it were mine I would shut it down until I was justley compensated for the use of it nobody deserves any free rides If you want a place to fish and swim in the river go to a state park quit belly aching who would want a bunch of inconsiderate strangers on there property anyway
fingerscrossed

Farmville, VA

#17 Jun 21, 2010
I have been using that landing my whole life and unfortunatly is is often trashed by folks who have absolutly no respect for the access or the environment. This is often the case with river access points. I dont know the politcal issues between Jimmy and the county but hopefully it can be resolved quickly so we can get back to the mighty James in that area. I DO think there should be notices at all put ins upriver from Howardsville noting the change so people can be aware and not be put in a jam. Not everyone uses the internet. Im not sure why the county/state cant buy a easement to the river.
Howardsville Resident

United States

#18 Jun 22, 2010
Jimmy doesn't appear to be too worried about liability tonite with over 10+ peeps on his land and him cooking and feeding as many as will pay his fees......never ends.....
local 40

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jul 9, 2010
sam wrote:
the liability I can understand. But you can't put a septic system in the James' flood plain. Just because you inherited your land doesn't give you the right to **** on everyone down river.
you believe everything you read? do you have proof this happened? do you know the laws about putting in a septic system? get a life.
local 40

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 9, 2010
Jimmy doesn't appear to be too worried about liability tonite with over 10+ peeps on his land and him cooking and feeding as many as will pay his fees......never ends.....
seems you do a whole lot of peeking out the windows to see what your neighbors are up to...do you ever go out to meet them? i grew up there, before obvious transplants like yourself showed up. do you really have nothing better to do than spy on your neighbors and post negative comments about them? where do you live, exactly? i will come set up my tent in your yard tonight. idiot
Howardsville Resident

Scottsville, VA

#21 Aug 4, 2010
There didn't seem to be a problem with the boat landing until Jimmy Crews built what was suppose to be a "pole barn" on his property. At least that is what his permit with the County was for. Then he decided to "live" in it. He knew it was in a flood plain. I guess he didn't think the County inspectors would come all the way to that end of the County to check. He knew what he was doing was wrong. As far as being his land, he recently inherited that land, not land he worked hard to acquire and had all his life. I see that it has really hurt the business of the Howardsville General Store because the landing is closed and many of the people who enjoyed the river. How ironic that he closed the ramp when the County made him move his "illegal" house. He is not hurting the County, he is hurting the residents of a small close community. Robert and Edith Baber left the land to him. Edith was the most sincere Christian lady you could ever meet. Obviously none of that rubbed off on Jimmy!
Truth in Advertising

Irving, TX

#22 Aug 4, 2010
There didn't seem to be a problem with the boat landing until Jimmy Crews built what was suppose to be a "pole barn" on his property. At least that is what his permit with the County was for. Then he decided to "live" in it. He knew it was in a flood plain. I guess he didn't think the County inspectors would come all the way to that end of the County to check. He knew what he was doing was wrong. As far as being his land, he recently inherited that land, not land he worked hard to acquire and had all his life. I see that it has really hurt the business of the Howardsville General Store because the landing is closed and many of the people who enjoyed the river. How ironic that he closed the ramp when the County made him move his "illegal" house. He is not hurting the County, he is hurting the residents of a small close community. Robert and Edith Baber left the land to him. Edith was the most sincere Christian lady you could ever meet. Obviously none of that rubbed off on Jimmy!
As Darwin said earlier, pay the man and quityabitchin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howardsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nelson County Murder - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesvil... (Dec '11) Feb 16 Diane Watson 32
Sandra Bowles Johnson Sep '14 mandy 1
Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse (Aug '14) Aug '14 test 1
Jason Emmons (Aug '14) Aug '14 Love Me 1
UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Robin Floyd 1
Countercultural hypocracy BETRAYS their 60's roots (Aug '13) Feb '14 Insect Trust 5
Yancey Advisory Committee Appointed (May '13) May '13 reality check 1
Howardsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Howardsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:07 pm PST