Fed UP

Plainview, NY

#1 Jan 22, 2008
I've lived in Valley Stream for the past 11 years and I can truly say that things have gone downhill since then. I live in the incorporated village which according to the village code cars are not allowed to park on the streets between the hours of 3:30 AM to 5:30 AM - that used to be true but not anymore. The streets have become veritable parking lots with cars parking overnight.
There has been sporadic enforcement and the end result of that is people parking their cars right dab in the middle of their lawns. I can't freaking believe it - you drive by and you see cars parked on the lawn because the driveway already has 3 cars parked in what seems like a one family home.
I am ready to move. I'm just waving good-bye to my property value.
fed up too

AOL

#2 Jan 23, 2008
Welcome to the NEW Long Island....
fed up

Plainview, NY

#4 Jan 24, 2008
to fed up, you need to call the village hall about this. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people living in VS now that don't care about how bad this looks in a neighborhood.
Fed Up

Plainview, NY

#5 Mar 28, 2008
fed up wrote:
to fed up, you need to call the village hall about this. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people living in VS now that don't care about how bad this looks in a neighborhood.
Unfortunately, calling or writing village hall is no use. Code enforcement is not addressing the problem. SAD.
fed up

Plainview, NY

#6 Mar 29, 2008
then here is another suggestion, go directly to Mayor Cahill, Maybe the villages Public Safety officers can address this issue. Their mission is to address quality of life issues in VS.
Fed Up

Plainview, NY

#7 Mar 29, 2008
fed up wrote:
then here is another suggestion, go directly to Mayor Cahill, Maybe the villages Public Safety officers can address this issue. Their mission is to address quality of life issues in VS.
Are you suggesting I approach him directly? I've called and written letters, providing addresses with pictures, but day after day these cars return and park on their lawns.

It is quite embarrassing when you drive by with visitors and they see these vehicles parked on the front lawn. You endeavor to keep your house beautiful and these people, who apparently do not give a hoot about the neighborhood where they live, feel like they can do such things.

If the village does not enforce these violations it's like giving tacit approval.
fed up

Plainview, NY

#8 Apr 2, 2008
You really need to go there in person with your pictures. Maybe even providing proof that more than one family is living in a one family house. Remember "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"
Here is the phone # for reporting illegal residences. five nine two- five one four zero
Good Luck, please keep me updated
Fed Up

Plainview, NY

#9 Apr 2, 2008
Actually, just today I mailed a copy of the letter sent to code enforcement and addressed it to Mayor Cahill (addresses, pictures and all). Hope to see results soon. I'll keep you posted.
If I see no results soon I'll try your suggestion.
Fed Up

Plainview, NY

#10 Apr 19, 2008
I've noticed some slight results but two "residents" in particular are still at it. Now the worse part about it is that there seems to be ample space in the driveway to fit all three cars in one instance but it seems like that's asking too much of these people so they prefer to park one car on the front lawn.

I doubt very much that these people are the homeowners - they must be renters - because I doubt very much a homeowner would care so little about the appearance of his/her neighborhood.
Fed Up

Plainview, NY

#11 Jun 14, 2008
Code Enforcement apparently was able to get some of these offenders from continuing to park their cars on their lawns. They now park the cars in the driveway like normal people. But I suspect without continued enforcement it's just a matter of time before it starts up again
fed up citizen

New York, NY

#12 Nov 27, 2008
i moved here in 1999. it was a typical suburban neighborhood. Now it is 2008, the towns gone to shit, everyone from the bronx and brooklyn is moving here and bringing their criminal ways with them. its so sad, they think we owe them a social debt, and they feel they can do what ever they want because of it. sickening. where is the vallley stream i knew as a boy? its gone, in a "black" hole
fed up

Fairfield, CT

#13 Dec 12, 2008
fed up citizen wrote:
i moved here in 1999. it was a typical suburban neighborhood. Now it is 2008, the towns gone to shit, everyone from the bronx and brooklyn is moving here and bringing their criminal ways with them. its so sad, they think we owe them a social debt, and they feel they can do what ever they want because of it. sickening. where is the vallley stream i knew as a boy? its gone, in a "black" hole
I grew up in Valley Stream too and I feel the same way, just completely disgusted. I am moving out soon to a nice, tranquil area on the North Shore and I can't wait! The animals are going to make sure that they destroy anything left that is decent about Valley Stream. It will only get worse.
IhateNeighbors

New Rochelle, NY

#14 Feb 21, 2009
fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in Valley Stream too and I feel the same way, just completely disgusted. I am moving out soon to a nice, tranquil area on the North Shore and I can't wait! The animals are going to make sure that they destroy anything left that is decent about Valley Stream. It will only get worse.
I grew up in the area and felt Gibson w/ SD14 was a great choice. Boy was I wrong. This neighborhood has gone into a black hole. They are animals. You'd think they'd come to LI and act like humans. NO. They continue to limp as they walk, drive pimped up pieces of shiet, and teach their kids to leave trash all over their own lawn. What happened to this neighborhood? God Help Me!
TheTruth

New Rochelle, NY

#15 Feb 21, 2009
Its clear that VS demise is directly linked to the exponential increase in minorities.

Now, one might argue for the minorities right to move here with "If they can afford it". But The Truth is THE CAN NOT. I've done my research, every home with a minority family with in a 5 block radius of my house has purchased their home with the help of the same kind of loans that caused this housing crisis. YES, they all really did get sub-prime mortgages. How do I know, mortgages are public information!

Oh and the best part is, two of the five houses have just gone into forclosure! Great right? They'll move out right? No they won't because their Hommie in the White House, Barack, just signed legislation that will save these people from losing their homes! They'll actually have their mortgages reduced so they can continue to drive your property values down.

I'm so happy that I sunk my 20% into a Black Hole.
DeAtH

Iselin, NJ

#16 Mar 4, 2009
it is a proven fact, that mammals born and raised uncivilized will never change, regardless of where they move too. Say good bye to the VS you once knew.
Louis

Tarrytown, NY

#17 Mar 13, 2009
fed up wrote:
Interesting!
Rocko Oyster Bay NY

Bronx, NY

#19 Jun 13, 2013
Valley Stream Sucks. It did 30 years ago and it will continue to Suck for the next 30 years. I don't care what color, race, creed or species. Village officials are stuck in a time warp. If the department of motor vehicles was able to spring ahead to the present, then the village of valley stream can do the same. You have 90 plus year olds still running the village like it's the 1920s. Thank god I don't live there anymore.
Patriot NYC

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Sep 18, 2013
Fed UP wrote:
I've lived in Valley Stream for the past 11 years and I can truly say that things have gone downhill since then. I live in the incorporated village which according to the village code cars are not allowed to park on the streets between the hours of 3:30 AM to 5:30 AM - that used to be true but not anymore. The streets have become veritable parking lots with cars parking overnight.
There has been sporadic enforcement and the end result of that is people parking their cars right dab in the middle of their lawns. I can't freaking believe it - you drive by and you see cars parked on the lawn because the driveway already has 3 cars parked in what seems like a one family home.
I am ready to move. I'm just waving good-bye to my property value.
So your property value is based on folks parking their cars on a public street? That's ridiculous.
Jax

Whitestone, NY

#21 Sep 19, 2013
fed up citizen wrote:
Who are these people that are moving in from the Bronx and Brooklyn?
savvy lady

New Hyde Park, NY

#22 Oct 21, 2014
Patriot NYC wrote:
<quoted text>So your property value is based on folks parking their cars on a public street? That's ridiculous.
Why, when you pay an exorbitant amount for village tax, you would be concerned as well. Code enforcement is supposed to fine these unlawfully parked vehicles. Supposedly, it is for the safety of the residents to not have cars parked on the street between certain hours. I live in the Village of Valley Stream. Across the street from my house there are renters and every night there is a parade of cars, like 5 or 6. Not only is it un-slightly, but one never knows looking at all these cars if there is a burglary in progress, or will there be enough room for fire equipment to get down the block to save my hours in case of a fire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard-Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NASA potty trained Pilots in space 13 hr Maude 1
Can OBAMA pardon Bergdahl if convicted 14 hr Maude 1
Fix the dangerous intersection at Merrick Rd & ... (Jul '13) 17 hr Paul R 6
News Councilman busted for moving between subway car... Thu my my 1
News Douglaston Man Allegedly Shot In The Back, Quee... (Mar '11) Wed Uee the duck 55
If convicted of desertion can OBANA pardon Berg... Wed Maude 1
police activity last night October 14, 2014 Oct '14 nickm308 1
Howard-Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Howard-Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]