First Prev
of 2
Next Last
blade

United States

#1 Jun 13, 2012
What are your thoughts on Air-Evac closing up shop and taking 45 jobs out of town?
mike

United States

#2 Jun 14, 2012
awful
concerned

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2012
Bain capital is in charge of air evac. The writing has been on the wall.
Mike

United States

#4 Jun 15, 2012
It's funny how the governor comes down to honor them because they 'were going' to hire more people. The City of Houston put the thing together and ignores the fact that small business keeps this place running. They give little or no support to small business and roll out the red carpet to businesses that come in and out of the area. Remember the big deal about the time share place that was in and out in two years. They need to support the businesses that are here along with recruiting new business. They don't get it. They will never get it.
Paul

Licking, MO

#5 Jun 15, 2012
Mike wrote:
It's funny how the governor comes down to honor them because they 'were going' to hire more people. The City of Houston put the thing together and ignores the fact that small business keeps this place running. They give little or no support to small business and roll out the red carpet to businesses that come in and out of the area. Remember the big deal about the time share place that was in and out in two years. They need to support the businesses that are here along with recruiting new business. They don't get it. They will never get it.
The business development people here as you said don't get it. Houston will continue downward without some change.
Interesting

Houston, MO

#6 Jun 15, 2012
Interesting that Mitt Romney's Bain Capital owns Air Evac.
concerned

United States

#7 Jun 15, 2012
I don't think the city could have done any more to stop this. Basically one person decided to bring that office here, and when that person was gone, the corporation (Bain) decided to eliminate the office. Corporations are not people.
Clara

Mountain Grove, MO

#8 Jun 16, 2012
I hate to see this kind of thing happen to Houston. I am from Houston and three of my friends are losing their jobs at Air-Evac. The city and the business development people can't stop this kind of corporate move but they can focus more help on the small businesses in the Houston area. Not that they should discontinue recruiting and helping larger business move into the area but they totally ignore small businesses particularly those that are expanding. They seem to go after and only support the big fish, the big fish takes advantage of the city, then the big fish move on. I know of two small businesses that have actually added job but decided to expand in other town in South Central Missouri. I know one owner that bluntly said his four new jobs should be in Houston but the city ignored him because his business is small. The two businesses I write about only created 9 jobs but that could have been 7 of those 9 jobs that could be in Houston. Instead we lose 40 with Air-Evac leaving and two neighboring town pick up nine. I know I'm not close to the situation, other than what I have heard from my friends, but it doesn't make sense to me.

QIC

“You Know It's A Myth... ”

Since: Mar 12

atheist.org

#9 Jun 16, 2012
screw air evac, talk about a poor service record and then there's the safety record, you all will bitch about the lost jobs but not the safety problem. whats wrong with you all? this company sucks. check out their safety record it's terrible. lets all pray they go belly up. wake up people.
Just a thought

United States

#10 Jun 19, 2012
Small towns like Houston will suffer do to the fact bigger companies needs the infastructure like rail and airports that can accomindate larger planes and then theres the hwy 'not a interstate' and then you have to have a work force. So many of our young people are leaving do to lack of jobs and nothing to do for relaxation. Instead of getting on TOPIX and winning and crying go to the city and let them know what you would like to see here. DONT BE A PROBLEM BE A SOLUTION. Air Evac was started as a family oriented company by a man named Colin Collins not even he knew this was happening and would not of approved. There is more companies out there lets just hope Houston is where one would like to be. But do you part and when they hold a job fair go and show them you want to work.
compensation

Houston, MO

#11 Jun 24, 2012
they are giving a very generous compensation for the workers to commute to w. plains & a very generous severance package for those that leave the company and it is open until the end of the year
Karl

United States

#12 Jun 28, 2012
compensation wrote:
they are giving a very generous compensation for the workers to commute to w. plains & a very generous severance package for those that leave the company and it is open until the end of the year
How much were the bonuses. I can't imagine it was much.
Just a thought

United States

#13 Jun 28, 2012
Compensation Not bad but taxed no retrain benefits once you get the severance package you cant draw unemployeement and dont go to West Plains and you get treated like dirt kinda hard to drive that far with No wage increase and than there extra child care cost. 1 Million a month collected in Houston's. Air evac billing office do you really think they are treating these people fair. They are saying atleast 18 months for the employees to atleast have their jobs but at the rate they are going by June 2013 the jobs will bein Texas. Dont be fooled by the company the will lie and cheat to get what they want it is NOT what Colin built it to be.
in the know

Houston, MO

#14 Jun 29, 2012
just a thought's response is incorrect - some people drive that far to the houston office now for one thing, unemployment will be available, the one's that stay are getting a lump sum payment that will compensate for the drive, the company already pays more than any jobs around here and the employees get nice bonuses, i don't know of other companies that do that in houston, and the houston office collects alot more than a million a month but think of overhead for that many helicopters and crews and the technology and maintenance to keep all of that going, yes they make money - but they are saving lives of people we love that may not have made it without their service, it is not a companies responsibility to retrain - if they did retrain the person would have to move to find a job in another town anyway to use the new found skills - we should be thankful they were here for the time they were
Just a thought

United States

#15 Jun 29, 2012
Yes theres alot of over head and the milion was just a estimate never got to see actual amount but check the agreement once an employee gets there severance they will be inegible for unemployment. Yes it is one of the best paying jobs in Houston but the company is toying with their employees at the Houston office and the manager is more of a scared rabbit than a boss. Air Evac is only going to be in West Plains for a short period then they will operate billing from Texas. I agree they do save lives and I believe the have the best pilots and medical staff just dont agree with what they are doing to the Houston billing staff. Just a bad dream for the employees but some will go but with fuel cost,vehicle maintence,extra child care how far will the severance package go.
Matt

San Antonio, TX

#16 Apr 16, 2013
QIC wrote:
screw air evac, talk about a poor service record and then there's the safety record, you all will bitch about the lost jobs but not the safety problem. whats wrong with you all? this company sucks. check out their safety record it's terrible. lets all pray they go belly up. wake up people.
They have the same safety record as any other service. Why don't you post a source? Oh you can't because your statement is false.
Statement is very true

Branson, MO

#17 Apr 20, 2013
Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
They have the same safety record as any other service. Why don't you post a source? Oh you can't because your statement is false.
You apparently do not work i transport medicine or you work for AV. Although there is a lot of good people who work at Airvac, they have the worst safety rating in the business. I don't care if you believe me or any other post. Google it and you will see the numbers, or simply ask anyone who flies. I don't want them flying anywhere over my town and certainly not with me or ay family members in the aircraft. This is not specific to MO, it is also the other states...
LOL You see this alot

Branson, MO

#18 Apr 20, 2013
An Air Evac Lifeteam air medical helicopter crashed into a hangar at the West Plains Regional Airport Wednesday.

It happened around 4:45 p.m. at the airport at 4523 County Road 2340.

"It got hung up on one of the hangars," said Pomona Fire Chief Leon Brown just minutes after the crash.

It was originally thought that a pilot was injured, but it was in fact a mechanic who suffered minor injuries. The mechanic was taken to Ozarks Medical Center for evaluation.

"The aircraft had just completed a routine inspection and the mechanic was doing a post-inspection ground run when the aircraft inadvertently lifted from its stationary position and struck a hangar," said Julie Heavrin, Public Relations Manager for the Air Evac Lifeteam, in a statement.

Heavrin says officials with the FAA and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) have been notified and will begin a formal investigation of the incident.

Air Evac Lifeteam, operated by Air Evac EMS, Inc., is the largest independently owned air medical provider in the United States. The company, based in West Plains, operates 107 bases in 15 states throughout the central United States.

The airport is owned and operated by the City of West Plains.

West Plains Fire Department, Pomona Fire Department, Southern Howell County EMS, Willow Springs EMS, Howell County Sheriff's Office and the Missouri State Highway Patrol responded.
i can post these all day

Branson, MO

#19 Apr 20, 2013
LITTLE ROCK -- A helicopter ambulance crashed early Tuesday amid the hills of central Arkansas, killing three crew members who were trying to reach a person injured in a traffic accident.

The Air Evac Lifeteam helicopter went down near the Scotland community in Van Buren County about 4 a.m., according to the company and the Federal Aviation Administration. Scotland is about 80 miles north of Little Rock.

The Bell 206 helicopter, built in 1978, was registered to Air Evac EMS Inc. based in West Plains, Mo.

Air Evac spokeswoman Julie Heavrin said pilot Kenneth Robertson, flight nurse Kenneth Meyer Jr., and flight paramedic Gayla Gregory all were killed in the crash.

Van Buren County Coroner Dorothy Branscum said the victims were killed on impact.

"The helicopter was just melted and it was just in pieces," Branscum said.

The helicopter hit the ground just outside the yard of a home. Less than a mile away, people were camped out for the annual National Championship Chuckwagon Race scheduled for Friday.

Air Evac Lifeteam President and CEO Seth Myers said in a news release that the helicopter was equipped with night vision gear.

"This is a tragic day for us here at Air Evac Lifeteam," Myers said. "These were members of our family and we are devastated at this loss. Our focus at this time is on providing support for the family and friends of these crew members."

Investigators from the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board were traveling to the crash site, said Lunsford, who is based in the FAA's regional office in Fort Worth.

Lunsford said there apparently was no distress call and the cause of the crash wasn't immediately known.

Air Evac has experienced several fatal crashes in recent years.

In 2008, an Air Evac helicopter crashed in an Indiana cornfield killing three people. In 2007, another three-member crew was killed when an Air Evac helicopter crashed in Colbert County, Ala.

In March, a Hospital Wing helicopter crashed near Brownsville, Tenn., killing the pilot and two nurses. No patients were aboard.
24 crashes in 25 years

Branson, MO

#20 Apr 20, 2013
The National Transportation Safety Board says it will take 12 to 18 months to investigate the cause of this crash. But it's not the first for this company who owns the site, Air Evac.
We've obtained the NTSB crash reports for Air Evac going all the way back to the 1980's, Its the largest independently owned air medical provider in the united states and on record, there have been 24 aircraft related crashes and incidents in the past 25 years.
Its scenes like this one in Van Buren County, a helicopter crash that killed three Air Evac employees, that are playing out more and more-- according to the National Transportation and Safety board.
We obtained these documents that list all EMS helicopter crashes from 2000 to 2010. These NTSB documents show that Air Evac, the same company owns that this lifeteam base, has had at least 14 crashes in the past 10 years.
They've resulted at least 11 deaths nationwide and of these, 4 in Arkansas-- including the three people killed early Tuesday. Across the country helicopters like these that responsible for transporting patients in emergency life or death situations.
Have claimed the lives of at least 11 people this year. In 2006 and 2009 NTSB held hearings on the increased frequency of air EMS crashes.
The website shows that even after the board made recommendations to EMS operators, their compliance, across the board, has been unacceptable. The NTSB unnacceptable rating for EMS flight safety is across the board, they don't single out individual companies, but they do ask the Federal Aviation Administration to crack down regarding EMS safety standards.
Air Evac officials weren't available for an interview today, but we're talking to the CEO tomorrow and will learn more about the company's safety record.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 6 hr LIBERALS ARE NUTS 96,882
Game store 7 hr gamer 1
Radio Station Scandal 8 hr Lacey 3
Terra Aldrich and Darrell Aldrich divorcing? 10 hr Lacey 12
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 12 hr OEM Oasis 2,627
Gross 13 hr Holy Cow 16
bucket Sun nikki 1
•••
•••
•••

Houston Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000