Gov. pushes teacher evaluations

Gov. pushes teacher evaluations

There are 6 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Apr 1, 2011, titled Gov. pushes teacher evaluations. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Gov. Susana Martinez said Friday she will push ahead with plans to develop a system for evaluating and rewarding New Mexico's public school teachers based on student achievement and other key factors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

Amused

United States

#2 Apr 2, 2011
While teachers are being evaluated for their students' performance, I'm sure the attendance records and percentage of assignments completed by each underperforming student will be publicized as well -- right?
LadyCook

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Apr 2, 2011
Way to go Gov. Martinez! Thanks for finally having the intelligence to promote great teachers, student achievement, and promote success in this state. I am tired and seeing great teachers being lumped in with ones who come late, leave when the bell rings, and pass out worksheets to every class. Those that are going above and beyond need to be rewarded while those that aren't need to find other jobs!
Mom

Alamogordo, NM

#4 Apr 2, 2011
Now if we could just get every parent to take an interest in their kids education. Many do I know.........and many don't.......
Green Goat

United States

#5 Apr 2, 2011
Great teachers should be rewarded.
But this will last until it is realized there isn't any money to pay them.

Who is going to come up with a fair method of evaluation?

If a student does not put any effort into schoolwork/homework, or never comes to school, moves every two weeks, doesn't speak English, gets jerked around by whacked out parents, on and on.
There are things that are out of the control of a teacher that can influence learning.

And admin needs to identify the teachers that need help and help them.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#6 Apr 2, 2011
Amused wrote:
While teachers are being evaluated for their students' performance, I'm sure the attendance records and percentage of assignments completed by each underperforming student will be publicized as well -- right?
Like the mid school English class that showed nothing but movies. The Classics like Shrek. And the teachers sought out their profession and job. Attendance for students is mandatory. Some will just warm their seats. So? Only mandatory for the teachers if they want to be paid and remain employed. They have a choice. The students don't until emancipated or of age (16 minimum) to take the GED. No evaluation of teachers or the school system? Ok to evaluate the students though. That's right. It is disrespectful to question the teacher or the system.

“Pro-Constitution , Anti-Obama!”

Since: May 10

Capitan, NM

#7 Apr 2, 2011
I like it! Pay on performance not because some union says they are worth a certian amount!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

House Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NM bill outlaws smoking in vehicles with kids (Feb '09) Jun '17 sadeyes982003 362
News Lawyer sues 100 ABQ businesses claiming advocac... Apr '17 coyote505 8
News State Police seize equipment at Key Research (Jul '07) Apr '17 Graddaughter of W... 5
News Torn apart by money - Ruidoso News (Sep '10) Apr '17 Pragmatist 7
News New Mexico airline service threatened if White ... Mar '17 lambert 1
News New Mexico may ban minors from indoor tanning Mar '17 lambert 3
News State senator to file bill requiring presidenti... (Jan '17) Feb '17 well 54

House Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

House Mortgages