Bill offers treatment to some drug offenders

Full story: The Deming Headlight

Allowing the option of sending some people charged with drug possession to treatment rather than jail will benefit the state by reducing court costs and repeat offenders, a state lawmaker said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Que Loco

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Can someone tell me what the pro and cons are tothis program. Okay so they dont place them in detention centers but they have to send probation officers to monitor them and then drug test them and then place them in rehab homes and the taxpayer flips the bill?? Am I right not to mention feeding them at these facilities. Does this Maestas guy have something to do with these halfway houses?..Just wondering.
Tommy Rot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Slowly but surely, due to the failure of 'the war on drugs' we are seeing the socializing of drug addiction. The government officials are seeing dollar signs, at the expense of taxpayers, by getting into the 'treatment' business. Law enforcement is raking enough in off of violent crime, and plenty of pie to go around. With a revolving door policy, repeat offenders and addicts taking 'treatment' over jail time, playing the system, what a gold mine!
Not Again

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Keep the offender in jail and do the drug addiction program right from there. If I was given the choice of jail time or doing the program, with perhaps court ordered monitoring, I know which one I'd choose. It also states the offender, rather than the state, will pay for its costs. You think in a low income area like this that the offender will pay the costs ? Very few have the money for that, and even if the family offered help to pay, they most probably couldn't either, unless they put their home up for collateral to secure getting a loan. No easy answers, but don't think this is one of them either.

Too bad the offenders don't think of the consequences before getting themselves into a drug mess like this, making it hard not only on their families, but the state/tax payers to either lock them up or pay for a recovery program because they themselves can't foot the bill. Which brings up a good point......what happens to the offender if they can't pay the bill but choose to enter the program ? Do they wind up going to jail or get the program for free ?
STRICT

Silver City, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

What happened to the COMMENTS for "Man on life support following jail incident" ??????????
Duh Winning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Not Again wrote:
Keep the offender in jail and do the drug addiction program right from there. If I was given the choice of jail time or doing the program, with perhaps court ordered monitoring, I know which one I'd choose. It also states the offender, rather than the state, will pay for its costs. You think in a low income area like this that the offender will pay the costs ? Very few have the money for that, and even if the family offered help to pay, they most probably couldn't either, unless they put their home up for collateral to secure getting a loan. No easy answers, but don't think this is one of them either.
Too bad the offenders don't think of the consequences before getting themselves into a drug mess like this, making it hard not only on their families, but the state/tax payers to either lock them up or pay for a recovery program because they themselves can't foot the bill. Which brings up a good point......what happens to the offender if they can't pay the bill but choose to enter the program ? Do they wind up going to jail or get the program for free ?
That's a good point. Treat them in jail. My old girlfriend in Phoenix had a heroine habit. Whenever she got jailed they always put her in a treatment section of jail to make sure she got her methodone.
Tommy Rot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Not Again wrote:
Keep the offender in jail and do the drug addiction program right from there. If I was given the choice of jail time or doing the program, with perhaps court ordered monitoring, I know which one I'd choose. It also states the offender, rather than the state, will pay for its costs. You think in a low income area like this that the offender will pay the costs ? Very few have the money for that, and even if the family offered help to pay, they most probably couldn't either, unless they put their home up for collateral to secure getting a loan. No easy answers, but don't think this is one of them either.
Too bad the offenders don't think of the consequences before getting themselves into a drug mess like this, making it hard not only on their families, but the state/tax payers to either lock them up or pay for a recovery program because they themselves can't foot the bill. Which brings up a good point......what happens to the offender if they can't pay the bill but choose to enter the program ? Do they wind up going to jail or get the program for free ?
I believe that is where the taxpayers come into the picture. Most drug addicts fail in the economic area, such as being financially responsible.
Not Again

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Tommy Rot wrote:
<quoted text> I believe that is where the taxpayers come into the picture. Most drug addicts fail in the economic area, such as being financially responsible.
Yep, you're right. If they choose drug rehab, didn't have the money to pay for it, as the courts suggest they do, then the taxpayers foot the bill. If they choose to just serve jail time and not do rehab, there again, it's we taxpayers that foot the bill for their stay in jail also. Either way it's a no win situation for us, we get stuck with the bill because of the choices these people made to do drugs, which they usually wind up stealing from someone to support their habit. Way to go druggies !!!!!!! LOVE TO SEE MY TAX DOLLARS HARD AT WORK FOR YOU....

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

This article has inspired me to create an Abbott & Costello act featuring me and this bill’s two sponsors.

Moe: Jail does not curb future crimes.

Moe: So if we give them a pass, they won’t commit property and violent crimes which they will commit…you know, in their future.

Bellcrank: Why should the lovely Gov. Martinez sign this?

Moe: No more violent criminals.

Bellcrank: Do you think she will?

Ricky: Naw, she has a prosecutor's mentality.

Moe: Hey, watch it. I was a prosecutor for five years.

Moe: Instead of penalizing the possession, you attack the addiction.

Bellcrank: But drug people finance Mexican Cartel types who murder innocents like David Hartley on Falcon Lake and Mexican investigator Ronaldo Villegas who tried to solve that crime? Shouldn’t users share blame or at least shame?

Ricky: Back off!! We've got lives here at stake here!

Bellcrank: Okay. So as a parent what should I tell my kid about drugs.

Ricky: You’re old fashioned. Today’s offenders needn’t suffer a scarlet letter of a felony.

Ricky: It's more important to treat them than incarcerate them.

Bellcrank: Why?

Ricky: Because we’ve all got nieces with brand new Psych. Degrees and, by God, they are getting on the public tit if it takes an Act of Congress like this one.

Bellcrank: But in jail, there are no drugs available from the first day in till the last day. That sounds like 100% instant guarantied recovery rate! What they do beyond that up to them.

Ricky: Well, we need a hearing; one with buzz-words and impact study groups and ……and acronyms. We can’t have instant success, we’re the government!
ancient one

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

no drugs in jail, what are you smoking to believe that???????? Drugs are a major source of income to many prison guards, so are cell phones. Wake up a see reality.
The only answer is to legalize drugs, leave people alone if they are using them. We don't jail drunks unless they commit a crime. Punish the crime, not the use and we will all be better off.
Will we do that, Heck no, as we love prisons and they make lots of money.
Old Timer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

ancient one wrote:
no drugs in jail, what are you smoking to believe that???????? Drugs are a major source of income to many prison guards, so are cell phones. Wake up a see reality.
The only answer is to legalize drug
Now I have to ask you.......WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING ? You say the only answer is to legalize drugs. It's bad enough at this point what we and law enforcement put up with while it's still illegal. Can't imagine what the law enforcement's up against when/if it gets legalized. I'd be interested in what some law enforcement officers who patrol the streets would have to say about legalizing drugs.
I Understand

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

STRICT wrote:
What happened to the COMMENTS for "Man on life support following jail incident" ??????????
Guess they don't need to run that anymore since the young man died last week. However, they started a new article concerning his death so you might want to read on that.
BurnedOutHippie

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

The war on drugs has been much worse on society than the use of drugs could ever be. Remember prohibition. Didn't work then either. A little drug use hasn't hurt anyone. Just ask Charlie Sheen and his posse. Winning!
Old Timer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

BurnedOutHippie wrote:
The war on drugs has been much worse on society than the use of drugs could ever be. Remember prohibition. Didn't work then either. A little drug use hasn't hurt anyone. Just ask Charlie Sheen and his posse. Winning!
Be honest, do you use drugs of some sort yourself ? Not judging you, just asking. That would explain your comment. For the most part I find people that defend the use of drugs are users themselves, not always, but often.
BurnedOutHippie

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Old Timer wrote:
<quoted text>
Be honest, do you use drugs of some sort yourself ? Not judging you, just asking. That would explain your comment. For the most part I find people that defend the use of drugs are users themselves, not always, but often.
I'm not defending the use of drugs, I'm defending liberty. The worst thing about the idiotic war on drugs is the inconsistancy of enforcement. If you're wealthy, or well connected, you can use drugs with impunity. Charlie Sheen, Paris Hilton, Willie Nelson, other hollywood, music and sports stars, have gotten off with minor reprimands, while poor minority kids get harsh arrests and long jail sentences. Many, if not most, Americans, even President Obama (who admittedly used cocaine in college), have used drugs recreationally with no apparent harm. I don't want to give government officials that much power and authority. Arrest criminals, not stoners.
Old Timer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

BurnedOutHippie wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not defending the use of drugs, I'm defending liberty. The worst thing about the idiotic war on drugs is the inconsistancy of enforcement. If you're wealthy, or well connected, you can use drugs with impunity. Charlie Sheen, Paris Hilton, Willie Nelson, other hollywood, music and sports stars, have gotten off with minor reprimands, while poor minority kids get harsh arrests and long jail sentences. Many, if not most, Americans, even President Obama (who admittedly used cocaine in college), have used drugs recreationally with no apparent harm. I don't want to give government officials that much power and authority. Arrest criminals, not stoners.
I understand your point, certainly about the fact there seems to be double standards, especially where famous/rich people are concerned. Personally I think drugs are wrong, but if one wishes to take part in using them, I wish they'd stay home and not put others in jeopardy, especially if they get behind the wheel and are stoned. I do agree with your statement of government officials having too much power and authority, that really needs to stop. Have a good day !!
Just Info

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 25, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

The reason for drug treatment instead of prison is because drug treatment is much cheaper and has a much higher success rate.

When a non-violent person is sent to prison for drug addiction, he is put in daily contact with violent prisoners and gang members. In daily contact with others like this and having to learn to exist under these conditions, greatly enlarge his chances of becoming more like the violent prisoners.

Do not take my word for it though. Do a web search yourself and read about it. One good source is Stop The Drug War. org. It is your money and mine, so do some research and see how we can save money and turn more lives around.
Just Info

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 25, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

By the way, Old Timer, I have lived a long life--probably as long as you and maybe longer. I do not use drugs either and never have.

I am not saying this to be rude as I know you say that not all that defend this position are drug users. Just adding this info to my note.
Que Loco

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 28, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Old Timer wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your point, certainly about the fact there seems to be double standards, especially where famous/rich people are concerned. Personally I think drugs are wrong, but if one wishes to take part in using them, I wish they'd stay home and not put others in jeopardy, especially if they get behind the wheel and are stoned. I do agree with your statement of government officials having too much power and authority, that really needs to stop. Have a good day !!
I grew up smoking pot and I never remember ever getting behind a wheel and driving crazy or swerving all over the road like people do when their drunk. Alcohal has killed alot more people that pot has. I dont agree with those that are doing crack(meth) this people need help but only if they want it. Let me ask this of you what about the churches here in town why are they not stepping up to the plate and offering drug and alcohal abuse programs? Dont you think that they should train people and do this? I know I just opened a can of worms but I would like to hear some opinions on this .
home run

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 28, 2011
 
Que Loco wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up smoking pot and I never remember ever getting behind a wheel and driving crazy or swerving all over the road like people do when their drunk. Alcohal has killed alot more people that pot has. I dont agree with those that are doing crack(meth) this people need help but only if they want it. Let me ask this of you what about the churches here in town why are they not stepping up to the plate and offering drug and alcohal abuse programs? Dont you think that they should train people and do this? I know I just opened a can of worms but I would like to hear some opinions on this .
Churches are helping. They are not medical facilities and most people needing treatment need to be in a hospital setting at first. A person ''drying out'' can have heart attack, stroke or die. There is a mens out reach in Deming at the old sunshine school. Its like a half way house. It is sponsered by a church. They are doing a great job of helping. Healing, education, living, working staying sober and drug free its a big process. What kind of other programs do you want the churches to offer? Would you like to be a part of the ''stepping up to the plate?''. I think its called ''victory out reach''. They have stepped up to the plate. its takes a team to make a home run .
Old Timer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Que Loco wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up smoking pot and I never remember ever getting behind a wheel and driving crazy or swerving all over the road like people do when their drunk. Alcohal has killed alot more people that pot has. I dont agree with those that are doing crack(meth) this people need help but only if they want it. Let me ask this of you what about the churches here in town why are they not stepping up to the plate and offering drug and alcohal abuse programs? Dont you think that they should train people and do this? I know I just opened a can of worms but I would like to hear some opinions on this .
Guess you're one of the exceptions in not getting behind the wheel after smoking pot or doing drugs, but I said that because I've known and seen people who have. You're most probably right in saying alcohol has killed a lot more people, but alcohol is more readily available at local stores than drugs are, that's also a big problem.

I don't think it's a bad idea for churches to offer drug/alcohol programs, maybe some do in this area, maybe some do already. But I would think somewhere in this county are programs, not church affiliated, that offer help, whether or not it's free help I'm not sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Fire Weather Watch for Quay County was issued at April 21 at 3:56AM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

House Jobs

•••
•••
•••

House People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••