Martinez signs anti-paddling bill

SANTA FE Public-school principals in New Mexico can burn their paddles. They no longer can hit students as a form of punishment. Full Story
mutnarf

Montgomery, AL

#1 Apr 7, 2011
ok and now they all get a trophy...
libertarian

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Apr 7, 2011
As long as big government does not decree that I can't choose to be paddled in my own home.

Since: Oct 08

#3 Apr 7, 2011
aren't there bigger issues this state needs to deal with...what a waste of time and money
Am I mistakin

Montgomery, AL

#4 Apr 7, 2011
Or is is not already something that a parent needs to sign permission for?

I agree, what a waste of time and money!
Stan

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Apr 7, 2011
It appears my post from yesterday was deleted. So I am going to repost it.

When I was growing up, my parents told me that if I got a paddling at school for something I did wrong, to expect one when I got home. I never got a paddling at school.

Today, these kids know that if a teacher even says anything to them in what they perceive is the wrong way, or even touches them in anyway, they can be sued by their parents. Last year, at a school back east, 3 teachers watched as a bunch of girls beat up a girl on the school ground. Mainly I believe because they feared for their lives.

I do not believe in hitting a child or even paddling, however, something has got to be done to curb the increased juvenile crimes being committed.

I was a teacher for 20 years and left it because I got tired of being cussed at, spat on, my tires being slashed because I would send these undisciplined juveniles to the principals office and usually they would be suspended, but that did no good, the kids even enjoyed not having to come to school.

There are some people that simply do not know how to raise children, they should never have them. If you watch the ABC show Supernanny, that qualifies that statement.

I was at the grocery store last week and this woman had about a ten year boy and a girl about 8-9 with her. The girl was cussing her mother with foul language because she would not buy her a something. The boy began pinching the back of my leg. I turned around and asked him to stop. He kept on, I turned around and asked his Mother to stop him, she looked at me, laughed and said, "Oh he is just playing." She said nothing to him. He did it again. I turned around and told the woman that unless she stopped her child from pinching my knee I was going to call the police and file assault charges against her. She then proceeded to cuss me out like a sailor. Now I know where the girl got the cussing from. And this is not just some freak thing, you see this behavior all the time at stores with children not being raised correctly.

What is the answer? Well, I agree that paddling should not be allowed, however, the present system of discipline in the schools is not working because teachers are scared to discipline these untruly juveniles out of fear of a lawsuit. It does not good to suspend these juveniles because they think it is a vacation.

Governor Martinez before signing the one last thing teachers had to try some kind of discipline, you need to have a better plan how to solve this juvenile problems in the schools, is it not getting better, but worse.
Sarah Shawlston

Ivins, UT

#6 Apr 7, 2011
I agree whole heartly with some of the comments. An example, the other day I was waiting in line at Walmart and a 16 or even 17 year old was like saying the "F" word loudly to her mother of all places and this was not the only profanity out that young ladies mouth. What was worse is the fact that this teenager was laughing out it as well. Note: from what I could tell is they were arguing about if she could go out with her friends. When I was teenager, if I did that, my parents would have washed my mouth out with soap and probably would have gotten my spanked for it too.
Sarah Shawlston

Ivins, UT

#7 Apr 7, 2011
Funny, now realisticly ... parents rights to discipline their kids should not be taken away.
libertarian wrote:
As long as big government does not decree that I can't choose to be paddled in my own home.
Joe

Tularosa, NM

#8 Apr 7, 2011
libertarian wrote:
That's the problem right there! Those students that get the paddle at home don't need to be paddled in school, they know better!! Its those trouble-makers that need the paddling will not get it in school nor at home. Now watch the crime rate go up.
native guy

Mescalero, NM

#9 Apr 7, 2011
well no one ever accused her of being intelligent in any way what so ever.
parent

Buford, GA

#10 Apr 7, 2011
Great Job New Mexico! It's about time we stop brutalizing kids in school
some dude

Mescalero, NM

#11 Apr 7, 2011
yep, i think alot of the increases in crime and in general, criminal activity, is because we no longer have control over the kids. if i ever got in trouble at school it was worse when i got home. and when i was in school the parents were on the side of the school and teachers. there was discipline and we all could go home and not have to lock our doors. our governor is stupid!!! what about more serious issues, right now budget is the concern, yet i have to call a routing office which is 5 hours away for them to relay a message to an office that is only 35 minutes aways. why the call center?? and why wont they give me their direct number but address? stupid, stupid, stupid.
NMSU Grad

Midland, TX

#12 Apr 7, 2011
parent wrote:
Oh give me a break! Yea, turn schools over to people like you and they would be burned down in a heartbeat.
Captain America

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Apr 9, 2011
parent wrote:
Are you some sort of severly retarted moron? Seriously? Where were you raised at? Paddling is a great tool to help teach children,(NOT BEATING) I do not condone beating, but paddling is good! And if more of these kids were paddled then I think there would be more respect from our children these days....
myloneneuron

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Apr 9, 2011
Captain America wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you some sort of severly retarted moron? Seriously? Where were you raised at? Paddling is a great tool to help teach children,(NOT BEATING) I do not condone beating, but paddling is good! And if more of these kids were paddled then I think there would be more respect from our children these days....
Beat em! Whup em! Spank em! Terrify em! Whack em! Aint no better way to make them kids be gud citeesins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

House Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Mexico House committee advances bill giving... Feb 20 your 2
Legislators take Martinez to court over veto (Jun '11) Feb 6 Ron Giles 15
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie stumps for M... Nov '14 XandO 8
Balance of power in NM House could shift for fi... Nov '14 whack 1
FBI identifies human remains found on Navajo Na... (Aug '14) Sep '14 RezDine 6
Homelessness identified as top issue in Farming... (May '14) Jun '14 indian 23
Video: Morning News June 12, 2014 (Jun '14) Jun '14 too 1
House Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web