More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10197 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#7234 Sep 10, 2012
Prosperity-Planet wrote:
The more we destroy the planet the less we keep for ourselves.
http://prosperity-planet.com/
Ever since the days of old,
Men would search for wealth untold.
They'd dig for silver and for gold,
And leave the empty holes.

Progress came and took its toll,
And in the name of flood control,
They made their plans and they drained the land,
Now the glades are going dry.

SE Michigan

#7235 Sep 10, 2012
Prosperity-Planet wrote:
The more we destroy the planet the less we keep for ourselves.
http://prosperity-planet.com/
Most companies have reduced the amount of product in their packages recently. More packaging for the landfills than ever before. Not environmentally friendly IMO. I quit buying ice cream and some other things at the grocery store because of it. I now go to the local farm where I can still get half gallons.
Churmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#7236 Sep 10, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
How much of the planet has been destroyed?
Thats what I would like to know. The fact is you cant take something and make it into nothing. No matter what you do the basic elements didnt dissappear. All man really does is rearrange what is already present in some form. Everything on the planet will always be on the planet in some form. Even space junk eventually returns to earth. All man is doing is releasing sequestered materal. And materal is being sequestered by man. When you bury stuff in a land fill it is being sequestered. All of our buildings roads homes cars ect. are materal that is sequestered in that item. Its a Wash. Even Steven! For every action there is an equal & opposite reaction. Thats why man caused glowbull warming is a myth.
Churmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#7237 Sep 10, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe not. I admit speaking from the heart at times. Likewise, there is no factual basis or reasonable logic to some of your positions either. Blasting a shotgun into the trees at night to kill some grackles AND anything else that might be there is just plain wrong, idiotic AND illegal.
Ill not rehash my killing grackles I already defended that action. I explaned the reasons why they are not welcome to roost in my cedar glade. However I will add this. Had I left those grackles alone. Had I not taken a perfectally legal and reasonable action and not nipped that roost in the bud their numbers would have greatly increased. They would have crowded out and drove other birds away. The reason you dont see other birds around grackles is they are agressive and gang up on other birds. Ive watched them at a bird feeder in the winter gang up on & drive away the other birds like cardinals, doves ect.
Whut

AOL

#7238 Sep 10, 2012
<quoted text>
It proves my theory. Every time a blackbird dies, a fish dies too. They are somehow connected. In other words, if you want to keep fishing, you better protect blackbirds.
:)
Sounds good, could we set up a deal with North Koreans & Iranians?
Whut

AOL

#7239 Sep 10, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats what I would like to know. The fact is you cant take something and make it into nothing. No matter what you do the basic elements didnt dissappear. All man really does is rearrange what is already present in some form. Everything on the planet will always be on the planet in some form. Even space junk eventually returns to earth. All man is doing is releasing sequestered materal. And materal is being sequestered by man. When you bury stuff in a land fill it is being sequestered. All of our buildings roads homes cars ect. are materal that is sequestered in that item. Its a Wash. Even Steven! For every action there is an equal & opposite reaction. Thats why man caused glowbull warming is a myth.
I agree, When you have a good fart people leave. & then there is that contribution to globl warming. I had a cat once, it was delicious.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7240 Sep 10, 2012
I killed a trout and ate it. Y'all can have the blackbird that supposedly died at the same time.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7241 Sep 10, 2012
The baby quail are really thining out around here. Looks like the snakes and road runners are taken there toll on them. I got one sprinkler turned on out back and the grackels and dove are already hitting it. It's relatively nice out at 84 degrees right now!
Churmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#7242 Sep 10, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
The baby quail are really thining out around here. Looks like the snakes and road runners are taken there toll on them. I got one sprinkler turned on out back and the grackels and dove are already hitting it. It's relatively nice out at 84 degrees right now!
Around here we have these big 6 foot long black with white belly chicken snakes. They can hear baby chickens quail and birds when the pip the shell and start hatching. they will eat the hatching chicks shell &all. They can climb trees to get at any nest. We heard a bantam hen screaming one nite. I went out and one was in her nest constricting her. she looked dead but after I killed the snake she came around. Her week old babies had scattered but she called them back. I fed the dead snake to our pig. Hogs will and can eat almost anything. those big snakes can be a source of fun & intertainment. catch one alive and put it into a purse that it cant escape from . deposit the purse someplace conspicious but where you can hide & watch. There was this scotsman who came to little rock ark to buy some prohibited poison snakes.(mambas & crate snakes I think. Well he rented a car at the airport and bought his snakes. he got lost and wound up in the wrong part of town after dark. He was carjacked shot & killed & robbed. the car jackers where snake bitten and died also. I dont even need to tell you what color the carjackers where.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7243 Sep 10, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Around here we have these big 6 foot long black with white belly chicken snakes. They can hear baby chickens quail and birds when the pip the shell and start hatching. they will eat the hatching chicks shell &all. They can climb trees to get at any nest. We heard a bantam hen screaming one nite. I went out and one was in her nest constricting her. she looked dead but after I killed the snake she came around. Her week old babies had scattered but she called them back. I fed the dead snake to our pig. Hogs will and can eat almost anything. those big snakes can be a source of fun & intertainment. catch one alive and put it into a purse that it cant escape from . deposit the purse someplace conspicious but where you can hide & watch. There was this scotsman who came to little rock ark to buy some prohibited poison snakes.(mambas & crate snakes I think. Well he rented a car at the airport and bought his snakes. he got lost and wound up in the wrong part of town after dark. He was carjacked shot & killed & robbed. the car jackers where snake bitten and died also. I dont even need to tell you what color the carjackers where.
Glad the snakes could come in handy with those car kackers. I wish they all could die a slow agonizing death!
Churmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#7244 Sep 10, 2012
There is a king fisher that comes around during the spring & fall. He likes to roost on the power lines and dive for fish. We just noticed him today so he is doing his fall migration. I also seen some canarys.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7245 Sep 10, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
There is a king fisher that comes around during the spring & fall. He likes to roost on the power lines and dive for fish. We just noticed him today so he is doing his fall migration. I also seen some canarys.
We have rat snakes that look just like Rattlers and people are always geting them confused and killing them. I try and educate them and tell these people that they are the good snakes we need around!

SE Michigan

#7246 Sep 10, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
Cool. I wish there were roadrunners here.

I went birding yesterday at the local migration hotspot. I was there much longer than anticipated. Jewelweed was in full bloom and VERY abundant. There had to have been hundreds of hummingbirds in the area preparing for migration. Warblers were also plentiful. Many too high up in the Cottonwoods to get good looks at, but several came down low and I was able to get some good shots. A fair amount of Pewees were also hanging around, along with Gnatcatchers and Vireos. One very close and cooperative Great Blue Heron gave me some really good close-ups! In all, I fired off 710 rounds!

SE Michigan

#7247 Sep 10, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Around here we have these big 6 foot long black with white belly chicken snakes. They can hear baby chickens quail and birds when the pip the shell and start hatching. they will eat the hatching chicks shell &all. They can climb trees to get at any nest. We heard a bantam hen screaming one nite. I went out and one was in her nest constricting her. she looked dead but after I killed the snake she came around. Her week old babies had scattered but she called them back. I fed the dead snake to our pig. Hogs will and can eat almost anything. those big snakes can be a source of fun & intertainment. catch one alive and put it into a purse that it cant escape from . deposit the purse someplace conspicious but where you can hide & watch. There was this scotsman who came to little rock ark to buy some prohibited poison snakes.(mambas & crate snakes I think. Well he rented a car at the airport and bought his snakes. he got lost and wound up in the wrong part of town after dark. He was carjacked shot & killed & robbed. the car jackers where snake bitten and died also. I dont even need to tell you what color the carjackers where.
"catch one alive and put it into a purse that it cant escape from . deposit the purse someplace conspicious but where you can hide & watch."
Good idea. We used to just leave an empty purse in the road after dark, then reel it in as soon as someone got out of the car and walked towards it. That was enough to freak them out, but the snake would be awesome- as long as the snake doesn't get hurt.
Is the carjacking story true?

SE Michigan

#7248 Sep 10, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Glad the snakes could come in handy with those car kackers. I wish they all could die a slow agonizing death!
The snakes or the car kackers?
<wink>

SE Michigan

#7249 Sep 10, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
Goldfinches are one of the latest to nest. They wait for the thistle to come into bloom because they use thistle down to line their nests. There have been fledgling Goldfinches all over here. Yesterday I saw one at the park that must have just fledged. It's head was all fuzzy and under the wings was still featherless. SOOOO cute!!! We usually have kingfishers well into fall as long as the water is unfrozen.

SE Michigan

#7250 Sep 10, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We have rat snakes that look just like Rattlers and people are always geting them confused and killing them. I try and educate them and tell these people that they are the good snakes we need around!
We have blackbirds and grackles and people are always geting them confused and killing them. I try and educate them and tell these people that they are the good birds we need around!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7251 Sep 10, 2012
<quoted text>
We have blackbirds and grackles and people are always geting them confused and killing them. I try and educate them and tell these people that they are the good birds we need around!
Which ones are the good birds again? LOL!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7252 Sep 10, 2012
<quoted text>
Cool. I wish there were roadrunners here.
I went birding yesterday at the local migration hotspot. I was there much longer than anticipated. Jewelweed was in full bloom and VERY abundant. There had to have been hundreds of hummingbirds in the area preparing for migration. Warblers were also plentiful. Many too high up in the Cottonwoods to get good looks at, but several came down low and I was able to get some good shots. A fair amount of Pewees were also hanging around, along with Gnatcatchers and Vireos. One very close and cooperative Great Blue Heron gave me some really good close-ups! In all, I fired off 710 rounds!
Where do the hummingbirds migrate to!
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7253 Sep 10, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Where do the hummingbirds migrate to!
I believe I've read they go to Mexico or cross the Gulf of Mexico non-stop but I may be wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Horseshoe Bend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 25 min Now_What- 36,181
For Sale signs in Griffin Park campsite area? 47 min Belarus 14
Southfork river 2 hr Lisa 8
Ralph White pedophile (Oct '12) 20 hr TMichael 13
Queen of the Sharp County hillbillies ! Fri Jynx 11
Chance / Hance Pets And Animals Fri Jynx 13
copper feather May 25 tex 15

Horseshoe Bend Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance