A new school year begins

A new school year begins

There are 17 comments on the The Ukiah Daily Journal story from Aug 17, 2010, titled A new school year begins. In it, The Ukiah Daily Journal reports that:

From busing issues to school goals, class size, and uniforms, the first day of school for the Ukiah Unified School District proved to be a busy one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Ukiah Daily Journal.

Calpella Chaos

Mill Valley, CA

#1 Aug 17, 2010
Try coming to Calpella. Kinder classes are 30 plus students. My child is in a class with 34 students. There is no parking. People are triple-parked in the lot and double-parked out on the street. There is no extra help and teachers have been told not to send home homework since there is no money in the budget for copiers and paper. I would like to challenge the Superintendent and Board Members come to the school and still say to me that they are doing all that they can to solve this budget crisis we are in. I'd like to see them deal with the real-life ramifications of their decisions. Then, I might believe them when they say that they care about education and they kids.
Concerned tax payer

Sacramento, CA

#2 Aug 17, 2010
Finland was just named the world’s best county. As an educator, I was interested to know something about their educational system, and while there is a plethora of research on the subject of their educational system, I just jotted down a few highlights. Any comments?

Finnish philosophy of education is that everyone has something to contribute and those who struggle in certain subject should not be left behind. Sounds familiar to US Educations’ recent educational reform act, but is it true that we do not leave children behind?
Additional teachers, not teachers aides, are brought into the class to help those who are struggling in a particular study.

Finnish children spend the fewest number of hours in the classroom in the developed world. There is also a culture of reading with kids at home and families have regular contact with their children’s teachers.

Teaching is a prestigious career in Finland. Teachers are highly valued and teaching standards are high.

The system’s success is built on the idea of less can be more, and there is an emphasis on relaxed schools, free from political prescriptions.

Just how many school districts and educational leaders are needed in this county?

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 Aug 17, 2010
Calpella Chaos wrote:
Try coming to Calpella. Kinder classes are 30 plus students. My child is in a class with 34 students. There is no parking. People are triple-parked in the lot and double-parked out on the street. There is no extra help and teachers have been told not to send home homework since there is no money in the budget for copiers and paper. I would like to challenge the Superintendent and Board Members come to the school and still say to me that they are doing all that they can to solve this budget crisis we are in. I'd like to see them deal with the real-life ramifications of their decisions. Then, I might believe them when they say that they care about education and they kids.
Just the reason I left Mendocino County……..

This year’s class for my child has 16 children.
Two teachers and two teacher’s aides.
One teacher from Mexico and one from the USA.
The teachers’ aides are both from Europe studying to become teachers and part of their classes are to be hands on in classrooms….

Students need to be in the school by 7.30 AM and get out at 2.00 pm
Two to four hours of homework per day.
Mandatory art and music.
By the end of first grade every student must be able to read and write in English and Spanish.
Be able to recite the multiplication tables from 1 to 12 in 60 seconds each.
Perform their musical instrument in front of the school.

This cost around 200 USD per month………….
mother of three

United States

#4 Aug 17, 2010
One of my children was a hopland PK student last year and this year is a OakManor Kinder student, i also have a student mid may through Pomolita and one at home. It bothered me yesterday to see how many small children arrived by bus or foot unattended by a parent, I spent 30 minutes in my daughters class room and realized just how many people see school as a baby sitter, with a class size of thirty mostly 4 year olds and one teacher at a time Mrs. S is sure to be overwhelmed yet still had a smile and conversation with every family. The budget sux and the cuts were poorly chosen I will donate snacks, supplies, my time and I will recrute my rretired mother to donate her time to make sure our children receive the attention and education thet deserve during these hard times. I chalenge othe parents to do the same for you're children and mine as well as our teachers. This problem was a long time coming it's here and real now it dose noone any good to sit on there A** and complain about it. We must all stand togeather as a community and fix it or at least make the ride a bit smoother. Before anyone on here uses the excuse I work 40+ hours a week and have a family with a house to clean and dog to bathe, my children play sports my husband works full time, coaches soccer and is a volunteer firefighter. Point being everyone is busy but we created these children and must find time to make sure they become productive members of society not sit around and complain how someone else did not.
Mike-Lakeport

Oakland, CA

#5 Aug 17, 2010
"Concerned Tax Payer" touts Finlands superior educational system. Do you think that superiority might have something to do with their homogeneous society. I bet we could give Finland a run for their money in regards to education if we didn't have our illegal immigration issues.
Concerned tax payer

United States

#6 Aug 17, 2010
Mike-Lakeport wrote:
"Concerned Tax Payer" touts Finlands superior educational system. Do you think that superiority might have something to do with their homogeneous society. I bet we could give Finland a run for their money in regards to education if we didn't have our illegal immigration issues.
You are correct about Finland’s homogeneous society, but I cannot ascribe to the illegal immigration issue because I fault the bi-lingual industry that has convinced our school leaders to allow up to eight years for a student to become proficient in English. I suggest enrolling non-English speaking students in an English only class until they are proficient to move on to other subjects. I graduated from the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio of Monterey in 1971. This is the premier language school in the United States, and the methods used there can easily be adapted to our school systems.

On illegal immigration. You can stop illegal immigration by not buying the products they produce and boycott those industries that employ them illegally.
oh you didnt know

Castro Valley, CA

#7 Aug 17, 2010
The Superintendent doesn't even live here. She lives down in L.A and drives up here from time to time..and guess who's paying for her drive????
I wish I had a job that paid that good and I never had to come to work.....
TangentToWhat

Laytonville, CA

#8 Aug 17, 2010
"The district provides two uniforms to students who can't afford them and so White questioned the cleanliness issue that raises for people who might not be able to wash their uniforms every two days.

Free clothing provided by the taxpayers, and she still whines. Wow, what a bunch of ingrates. Oh, and then there's the frequency of laundry issue?????? It's time to cull the herd.
Ignoramuses Unleashed

Mill Valley, CA

#9 Aug 17, 2010
Mike-Lakeport wrote:
Leave it to the ignorant bigots to chime in on every issue under the sun and blame it on the illegal immigrants. Finland as well as other countries far excel the United States in education because they respect and honor education as a whole. It is ingrained in their society and culture. I guess it is always easier to blame someone else for your personal deficiencies isn't it. Next time you go to the grocery store, don't be so eager to put down the illegal immigrants who do all the hard, menial jobs that you "concerned tax payers" would never in a million years lower yourselves to do. Go get yourself a proper education before you beside to put in your two cents worth on a topic which you obviously have no clue on.
Mike-Lakeport

Oakland, CA

#10 Aug 17, 2010
Raising the bigot card when illegal aliens are mentioned makes one a fool and you be it.
Critic 2

Mountain View, CA

#13 Aug 18, 2010
threechars wrote:
Furthermore, drive by the D.O. sometime. It's 7:08 PM at the time that I'm posting this, and she is IN THE OFFICE.
Are you getting paid overtime to be there? You must love that! Working so many hours you'd think she'd get more done.

Don't make her out to be a martyr for the cause. She made a choice to work here, but L.A. is definitely home. It's interesting that so much administrative "professional development" has taken place in the L.A. area. Why do you think that is? Are the culture and demographics of Ukiah so similar to L.A. that what they do will work here? Nope. BUT, that's where the family is. Make no mistake, Nash considers L.A. home and the Ukiah valley her step to greener pastures. Too bad she doesn't do a better job - she might be able to leave sooner!
nice try

Ukiah, CA

#14 Aug 18, 2010
Critic 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you getting paid overtime to be there? You must love that! Working so many hours you'd think she'd get more done.
Don't make her out to be a martyr for the cause. She made a choice to work here, but L.A. is definitely home. It's interesting that so much administrative "professional development" has taken place in the L.A. area. Why do you think that is? Are the culture and demographics of Ukiah so similar to L.A. that what they do will work here? Nope. BUT, that's where the family is. Make no mistake, Nash considers L.A. home and the Ukiah valley her step to greener pastures. Too bad she doesn't do a better job - she might be able to leave sooner!
I'm not making anyone out to be a martyr. To hell with that nonsense, I'm just keeping the facts straight.
nice try

Ukiah, CA

#15 Aug 18, 2010
Besides, what have YOU done? Bitch and moan in the comments section of a newspaper article? In true ukiah fashion, the finger is pointed before a hand is offered.

Also, fun fact: persons earning a salary don't get overtime pay.

Furthermore, being an out-of-towner, she doesn't suffer the same xenophobia as the rest of you 'RA RA RA KEEP IT LOCAL' chanters.
MegaCritic

Ukiah, CA

#16 Aug 18, 2010
threechars wrote:
Furthermore, drive by the D.O. sometime. It's 7:08 PM at the time that I'm posting this, and she is IN THE OFFICE.
Many, many teachers and coaches work this late or later. And obviously many parents are up this late helping their kids with their homework after a hard day's work. Nash is not doing anything different than many other educators and parents. The problem with her is that she is not invested in our community, nor does she have any sense how to run our schools. Class size reduction could have been spared if she would not have spent so much money on lawyers and consultants at the district.
Critic 2

Brisbane, CA

#17 Aug 18, 2010
nice try wrote:
Besides, what have YOU done?**** and moan in the comments section of a newspaper article? In true ukiah fashion, the finger is pointed before a hand is offered.
Also, fun fact: persons earning a salary don't get overtime pay.
Furthermore, being an out-of-towner, she doesn't suffer the same xenophobia as the rest of you 'RA RA RA KEEP IT LOCAL' chanters.
You are paid a salary...so, a fellow administrator...had you mentioned that before? Hands being offered? Yes...and they are often turned away, slapped, or (metaphorically speaking) bitten off!
Critic 2

Brisbane, CA

#18 Aug 18, 2010
MegaCritic wrote:
<quoted text>
Many, many teachers and coaches work this late or later. And obviously many parents are up this late helping their kids with their homework after a hard day's work. Nash is not doing anything different than many other educators and parents. The problem with her is that she is not invested in our community, nor does she have any sense how to run our schools. Class size reduction could have been spared if she would not have spent so much money on lawyers and consultants at the district.
Exactly!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Aug 22, 2010
Calpella Chaos wrote:
No, THEY DON'T CARE. It's been that way for DECADES at the Calpella School.
You're complaining about the parking? Try having kids attacked when the principal couldn't care less. The teachers ignore kids being picked on and just blame whoever they happen to catch. The counselor was a sick joke. She did nothing because she was so pathetic she ignored the problems.
People who care about their kids get them out of there. There are much better places to live.
Did you honestly think you're the first to see the problems and complain? You're looking at a hopeless situation in a community that has a negative attitude towards kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cloverdale, ca postal problems (Jul '15) Nov 21 jim jones 3
Clearlake.....is it a nice place to live (May '06) Nov 19 trailer number wi... 129
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Nov 17 Curlygirl 1,222
News Robert 'Bobby' Tennison still missing in SoHum;... (Nov '09) Nov 15 TamTam72 22
Trump's Diaper Fungus Mystery Nov 15 Security Review A... 1
Senior Nude Night A Success (Jul '16) Nov 9 tom 4
Trump's $22million golf trip? Nov 8 the fear tator 3

Hopland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hopland Mortgages