Big rig hit cow first; dead man ID'd

The man who died when his 1992 Geo Prizm collided with a cow on Highway 101 north of Hopland Saturday has been identified as Emilio Gonzalez Herrera, 40, of Ukiah. Full Story
mimi

United States

#1 Jan 21, 2009
i am a neighbor of the victims family ... can you believe the owner had the nerve to call the family tues only 3 days after death of emilio.. to ask them to pay for the loss of the cow... how ignorant is this owner!!!.. the family was grieving he had 4 children and this person has the audacity to call and ask them to pay for the cow?????.... when it was owners fault cow was loose and also for the death of innocent man... obviously his life was worth a lot more than that cow... the owner is cold hearted person .. who didnt even give them the time to mourn their loved one... she should be sued and pay severly for her irresponsibilty!!! i hope the family sues...

oh and i live in ukiah not oakland idk why it says that
mimi

United States

#2 Jan 21, 2009
oh and the family is asking for donations to cover funeral costs because they dont have money.. i donated at gas station between luce ave and observatory across from a limber store.. or they donation box at ukiah high.. or various gas stations and small stores in ukiah.. anything would help..
Erin T- from Willits

Sacramento, CA

#3 Jan 22, 2009
Mimi- I seriously thought I mis-read your comment! I'm sure the cow owner jerk knows that a big rig hit the cow first, right? So, it wasn't Mr. Herrera? Has the cow owner been set straight? I really want to know who it was. I hope I don't know who they are, I'd be really embarrased to know them.

Since: Apr 08

laytonville

#4 Jan 22, 2009
The owner is responsible for all the above and should also help pay funeral expences.. My prayers are for this family, I am so sorry for your families loss..
mimi

United States

#5 Jan 22, 2009
Erin T- from Willits wrote:
Mimi- I seriously thought I mis-read your comment! I'm sure the cow owner jerk knows that a big rig hit the cow first, right? So, it wasn't Mr. Herrera? Has the cow owner been set straight? I really want to know who it was. I hope I don't know who they are, I'd be really embarrased to know them.
the owner knows the big rig hit the cow first .. but she still called the family... she just wanted to take advantage of them .. because they dont know law etc. but good thing all us neighbors told them what to do and that owner of cow should be responsible..

when the owner called the wife of mr herrera thought it was to apologize and give condolences but no she simply wanted to make them pay for the cow..

i havent been able to talk to family to ask the name of the owner .. so people know who this greedy insensitive person is.. i will post it when i know..

owner should have offered to help with at least part of funeral and family didnt want to sue at all but now they do because of the way the owner acted
mimi

United States

#6 Jan 22, 2009
mendo girl wrote:
The owner is responsible for all the above and should also help pay funeral expences.. My prayers are for this family, I am so sorry for your families loss..
family would have been okay with an aplogy and funeral expense paid of at least half.. but no owner is selfish.. greedy and inhumane

to call so soon and ask for that wow..

thank you mendo girl for ur prayers for mr herreras family
Squeaky Duck

Santa Rosa, CA

#7 Jan 23, 2009
No point in crying over spilt milk.

The owner of the cow ia a jerk for going after the family of a man his cow caused to be killed. If anything the family of the dead man SHOULD sue the owner of the cow for causing the accident in the first place.
TOMMS

Santa Rosa, CA

#8 Jan 23, 2009
This is a terrible thing tho have to deal with without having some jerk call and ask for money. However, after speaking with the owner of the cow, he informed me that he has know idea who the family is or how he would have obtained the information to contact them. I personally attempted to obtain a copy of the report 5 days after the incident but it had not been completed. I believe there has been a terrible mistake made and the owner was devestated to find that these comments are being posted. He respects the family and wishs them well.
mimi

United States

#9 Jan 23, 2009
Squeaky Duck wrote:
No point in crying over spilt milk.
The owner of the cow ia a jerk for going after the family of a man his cow caused to be killed. If anything the family of the dead man SHOULD sue the owner of the cow for causing the accident in the first place.
the wife of mr herrera received the call on tues., from the owner of the cow .. my family and family living next door to them .. were wondering how the owner was able to obtain phone number.. it was a woman that called the wife of mr herrera
ukiahan

Sunnyvale, CA

#10 Jan 23, 2009
Who was the truck driver and was he from Ukiah? No one ever said....
Jimmys family

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jan 23, 2009
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family. May your husband and father rest in peace. God Bless You.
TOMMS

Santa Rosa, CA

#12 Jan 24, 2009
The owner is a man. Sorry but it looks as if someone has a sick sense of humor with no respect for anyone.
mendo

Jackson St Forest, CA

#13 Jan 25, 2009
It's a sad thing to happen.Could have just as easily been a bear up here.
mimi

United States

#14 Jan 26, 2009
terrible terrible if someone had such sick sense of humor ..
postivethinking

Mill Valley, CA

#15 Jan 30, 2009
first off.. i am terribly sorry for that family. especially for the children who have to grow up without their father now. one thing that people need to remember is things happen. accidents happen. it is no ones fault what happened that day. if the cow got out, to a certain extent it is the owners fault, but animals will be animals. you cant keep them tied up all day or in a cage all day because that then would be considered animal cruelty. who would be to blame if it was a deer in the road instead of a cow?? we cant all go around pointing fingers and thinking negatively. what that family needs most right now is positive energy thoughts and positive people around them. i dont know either of these families, im just an outsider looking in. which in a sense is a good thing because i dont have my feelings involved. i think the right thing for either side to do is stop playing the blame game. if i were the owner of the cow i would send my condolences, thats all you can do. adn if i were the wife i would accept the apology and move forward and focus my attention on my children. once again they are whats most important right now. lastly, people writing allegations on here isnt going to help one bit, all its going to do is put a sour taste in peoples mouths. my thoughts and prayers go out to the herrera family
postivethinking

Mill Valley, CA

#16 Jan 30, 2009
and i too am from ukiah not calpella
postivethinking

Mill Valley, CA

#17 Jan 30, 2009
first off.. i am terribly sorry for that family. especially for the children who have to grow up without their father now. one thing that people need to remember is things happen. accidents happen. it is no ones fault what happened that day. if the cow got out, to a certain extent it is the owners fault, but animals will be animals. you cant keep them tied up all day or in a cage all day because that then would be considered animal cruelty. who would be to blame if it was a deer in the road instead of a cow?? we cant all go around pointing fingers and thinking negatively. what that family needs most right now is positive energy thoughts and positive people around them. i dont know either of these families, im just an outsider looking in. which in a sense is a good thing because i dont have my feelings involved. i think the right thing for either side to do is stop playing the blame game. if i were the owner of the cow i would send my condolences, thats all you can do. adn if i were the wife i would accept the apology and move forward and focus my attention on my children. once again they are whats most important right now. lastly, people writing allegations on here isnt going to help one bit, all its going to do is put a sour taste in peoples mouths. my thoughts and prayers go out to the herrera family
Gonzalez

Richmond, CA

#18 Jan 30, 2011
mimi- Who are you?
lulu

El Monte, CA

#19 Jan 30, 2011
Sorry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carmel Angelo Busted 5 hr One is the Number 7
Cruz / Bachman Presidential Campaign Heats Up 8 hr I voted did you 6
Our necrophiliac thinks Oliver North was POTUS (Jun '14) 20 hr Not a donkey 129
Fears Voiced Over Million NKorean Babys at Border Tue Not a real One 16
Storm update: Most roads open, Lake Mendocino g... Tue Not a real One 6
Abalone diver drowns off Little River coast (Oct '10) Tue PFOBY 51
Troll Camp Tue Not a donkey 37

Hopland News Video

Hopland Dating
Find my Match