300-year-old tree succumbs to high water

300-year-old tree succumbs to high water

There are 19 comments on the The Ukiah Daily Journal story from Aug 31, 2010, titled 300-year-old tree succumbs to high water. In it, The Ukiah Daily Journal reports that:

I knew the tree for three weeks, but Laura Smith, a Park Ranger out at the lake thinks the fallen valley oak near the boat ramp was maybe 300 years old.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Ukiah Daily Journal.

ibetcha

Hayward, CA

#1 Aug 31, 2010
I bet the large eucalyptus will also fall....and many more that are dead or dying.
Sgt Pepper

San Francisco, CA

#2 Aug 31, 2010
W.T.F...!

I thought this article was supposed to be about a 300 yr old fallen tree at the lake... I start reading, and...,

And...it's about some some dude getting his gangrene leg hacked off and at a bar during a food and beer party...!!!

I never made it past the second paragraph... hahaha, what a hilarious way to JACK an seemingly benign article... hhhahaaa.
serving justice and fries

Laytonville, CA

#3 Aug 31, 2010
nice prose bill.

keep on tickin'.
what

Newman, CA

#4 Aug 31, 2010
I thought someone put another article in the middle of this one by accident. there is a duck story in there too.
Mee

Ukiah, CA

#5 Aug 31, 2010
Glad I wasn't the only one who was confused. Jeez.
Motor Mouth

Clearlake, CA

#6 Aug 31, 2010
I do not know the author, but if I did I would never ask him a question.
Old timer

Stockton, CA

#7 Aug 31, 2010
Isn't it illegal to feed the ducks because it artificially inflates the herd ?
jake

Vacaville, CA

#8 Aug 31, 2010
this article really sucks. thums down
why insult

United States

#9 Aug 31, 2010
jake wrote:
this article really sucks. thums down
Soo jake.... who feels nice when you put down other ppl? I totaly say you should think about saying insults ..... because it only hurts people..... I personally think the dude that wrote this article needs a high 5 for beeing cool enough to get his story published in the udj rather than just keeping it inside shure it rambled a lil ibt but dosent that make it diferent and new unlike the same reporter jargon?..... insults don't make evereyone win...... remember.....(: smiley face hehehe
Safe and Sane

Redwood Valley, CA

#10 Aug 31, 2010
A three hundred year old tree died? At least it was able to live a life. See its' children grow from saplings into fine, upstanding...trees. It survived through the War for Independence, the Civil War, Vietnam and Iraq. It even survived the two terms of George Bush. And now its gone. But think, people. Think about all the grass that hasn't had a chance to live a fraction of that time! Think about all those blades drying out in backyards across America from lack of proper watering! Or the abused blades that get mutilated, chopped, hacked or Weed Be Gone for no fault of their own! Let us bond together as citizens of this great nation, show our humanity and respect for the natural world and stop the abuse of grass in Mendocino County! Yes we can!
one of the abused

Jackson St Forest, CA

#11 Aug 31, 2010
Tuina- Chinese medical massage & physical therapy along with acupuncture and a trip to Pine Ridge Health in Willits we saved a persons leg last year. Hope its not to late.
Marvin C Gentz

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 31, 2010
why insult wrote:
<quoted text>
Soo jake.... who feels nice when you put down other ppl? I totaly say you should think about saying insults ..... because it only hurts people..... I personally think the dude that wrote this article needs a high 5 for beeing cool enough to get his story published in the udj rather than just keeping it inside shure it rambled a lil ibt but dosent that make it diferent and new unlike the same reporter jargon?..... insults don't make evereyone win...... remember.....(: smiley face hehehe
and when you compare these humanistic observations to the negative meanderings of radical conservative Kramer, it is a breath of fresh air.
mendo home grown

Horsham, PA

#13 Aug 31, 2010
R.I.P 300 year old tree. you will be missed. lets give the tree a moment of silence out of respect.
Sgt Pepper

San Francisco, CA

#14 Aug 31, 2010
why insult wrote:
<quoted text>
So uhhh... tell the truth now, you are the author, the reporter of inane article of meandering subject matter... correct...? Ohhh-ahhh-hhahhaaaa... you hiding behind a pseudo user name... you sly little reporter you... hhahhaaaa... we have you dead-to-rights and you KNOW IT...!!!

You better hope your boss don't see this...!
Ex-Ukiahian-Alas ka

Anchorage, AK

#15 Aug 31, 2010
2 questions: Did anyone hear it fall, and how many cords of firewood can it produce?
What the F

San Francisco, CA

#16 Aug 31, 2010
Cut up the tree for firewood, plant the guys leg where the tree was, and shut the F up!
Mike-Lakeport

Oakland, CA

#17 Aug 31, 2010
I'm confused. Did you say the tree landed on the duck?
Mee

Ukiah, CA

#18 Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Ukiahian-Alaska wrote:
2 questions: Did anyone hear it fall, and how many cords of firewood can it produce?
Ha ha. You made my day. That was a good one!
Ukiah as a Whole

Jackson St Forest, CA

#20 Sep 3, 2010
I think it's great that this guy got his article published. We dont know how much education he has or previous journalism experience either. Therefore, he did a great job. If I was editing this article and thought it was posted by UDJ staff themselves, then yes I would have some corrections. The Entry line, to begin with, had some grammer issues and perhaps the stories in the stories were some what confusing, but if you look at it like a poem in a story it actually went along nicely.

Thanks for sharing. I saw the tree yesterday, and the kids are enjoying walking down its trunk and braches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is moron mickey Mar 25 Munggo Man 5
News COMMET makes arrests in marijuana cultivation o... (Feb '12) Mar 23 Larree Allene 10
News Pomos seek to create long-needed homeland, casi... Mar 15 Anonymous 51
Executive Order Search Mar 4 Exec Order Search T 1
News Assignment: Ukiah - Ukiah then and now (Sep '09) Mar 2 meat loafing 23
News Ukiah police and fire log: Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2015 (Dec '15) Dec '15 Here Is One 1
News Mendocino County citizens hope for hack-and-squ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Here Is One 1

Hopland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hopland Mortgages