clumsy kids consignment
curious

United States

#1 Mar 25, 2013
I really like this store but since the new owner has taken it over I find it very aggregating that they don't have regular store hours you drive over there and they are suppose to be open and they are suddenly closed on the spur of the moment. Just bam decide to close. Who does that? Does anyone find that annoying? I don't see them lasting very long doing this.
me too

Tucker, GA

#2 Mar 25, 2013
I'm also a small business owner trying to keep prices low. If nobody is coming through the doors then there's no reason to stay open. Maybe it would be a good idea to call ahead.
potential customer

Hopkinsville, KY

#3 Mar 25, 2013
This would tee me off to drive over during regular business hours to find it closed. I know I used to try to shop at simply unique and it was the same thing never open. I don't believe businesses want business anymore. Thanks for letting me know, now I won't waste my time driving over.
yep

Hopkinsville, KY

#4 Mar 26, 2013
That's just stupid. You don't call to see if a store is open before you go shop . You don't do that with Walmart, Kmart, or even small town grocers. They have store hours. You don't post hours that your going to be open and then shut the door. And as far as why stay open if there are no customers. How do you expect to get them if you are shutting the doors down and not keeping a set schedule? I don't see much hope for the new clumsy kids either. Sad, cause it is a much needed store in a little community like this. I wonder how the first owner made it work? I know she put a lot of hours, hard work , sweat into it. Maybe more than it was worth. Kind of a shame I guess, cause if this poor woman doesn't do the same she won't make it.
Yea

Madisonville, KY

#5 Mar 26, 2013
yep wrote:
That's just stupid. You don't call to see if a store is open before you go shop . You don't do that with Walmart, Kmart, or even small town grocers. They have store hours. You don't post hours that your going to be open and then shut the door. And as far as why stay open if there are no customers. How do you expect to get them if you are shutting the doors down and not keeping a set schedule? I don't see much hope for the new clumsy kids either. Sad, cause it is a much needed store in a little community like this. I wonder how the first owner made it work? I know she put a lot of hours, hard work , sweat into it. Maybe more than it was worth. Kind of a shame I guess, cause if this poor woman doesn't do the same she won't make it.
Agreed. I like shopping at sassy's stuff.
lgoodwin

United States

#6 Mar 26, 2013
I want to say i am sorry if i haven't been there when you come to the store. I do try to post the hours on facebook daily when i am there. I had a child that had surgery & had to be close or close early to take care of him. I promise you the store will be better with the hours, as i will be having someone coming in to help me when i can't be there. I know the hours it takes, as i like the previous owner has worked into the night or on Sundays to get stuff out for the week. I am sorry you feel this way. But please know i do post on facebook the hours, if i have to leave early. I hope that you will come back. thank you
hmmm

Madisonville, KY

#7 Mar 26, 2013
As long as that Debbie woman isn't there ill b happy to come back. But she is straight out rude and always watching the clock while your shopping. And when you leave heads straight outside to smoke. Makes you feel like your money doesn't matter all she wants is to smoke.
shopper

Madisonville, KY

#8 Mar 26, 2013
I like clumsy kids, it's pretty bad people comes on topix to talk about people I mean if you owned a business and you have kids which ones would come first? I would put my kids first if you had her on your face book you would know cause she does put which time she closes on there some of you might need to check face book more and stop with being mean to this lady
lgoodwin

United States

#9 Mar 26, 2013
Thank you for your feed back. I appreciate it. I have two weeks at my other job remaining & then i will be there everyday. Again thank you and i hope to meet you soon.
hmmm wrote:
As long as that Debbie woman isn't there ill b happy to come back. But she is straight out rude and always watching the clock while your shopping. And when you leave heads straight outside to smoke. Makes you feel like your money doesn't matter all she wants is to smoke.
hi

Hopkinsville, KY

#10 Mar 27, 2013
This is just a idea. May sound stupid to some people, but I have been a military wife for years and have been around many consignment shops and mothers love this.
I know you can't afford to pay help, but sometimes need it. Always, actually.
As you begin to know your customers, and your trustworthy ones. When you need help for a couple hours, or need help bringing in new items and tagging them let a couple moms come in and help you. And instead of pay, you repay them, by allowing them first pickings through the clothes you go through that day as you work. If they see something they want to purchase for their little one they can buy it. It's great. I loved to do it. And do the same thing for when you need to be away. Train someone to do the register, keep track of sales, and repay them with the opportunity of going through fresh stock in their child's size and having first picks. I know it sounds crazy, but it works and moms love it! It will help you, ms Goodwin, and moms too!
lgoodwin

Princeton, KY

#11 Mar 27, 2013
thanks for that great idea... I have only been open for now almost 2 months so i am still learning as i go. Thank you for the idea & i will throw that out to my consignors. Hope you have a blessed day.
hi wrote:
This is just a idea. May sound stupid to some people, but I have been a military wife for years and have been around many consignment shops and mothers love this.
I know you can't afford to pay help, but sometimes need it. Always, actually.
As you begin to know your customers, and your trustworthy ones. When you need help for a couple hours, or need help bringing in new items and tagging them let a couple moms come in and help you. And instead of pay, you repay them, by allowing them first pickings through the clothes you go through that day as you work. If they see something they want to purchase for their little one they can buy it. It's great. I loved to do it. And do the same thing for when you need to be away. Train someone to do the register, keep track of sales, and repay them with the opportunity of going through fresh stock in their child's size and having first picks. I know it sounds crazy, but it works and moms love it! It will help you, ms Goodwin, and moms too!
wow

Tucker, GA

#12 Mar 27, 2013
I'm amazed at how this post went from negative to positive. That almost never happens. I'm proud of everyone.
SlappyMcFarty

Ripley, TN

#13 Mar 28, 2013
Do any of you that complain, have ANY idea what it is like to run a business? Especially a small one? I had a business in this town (NEVER AGAIN) and I worked at it every day 7 days a week doing something or another for it. What did I get in return from the people in this town? Can you mark it down? What's the least you'll take for this? Do you realize how aggravating this is when you try to offer something nice and someone want's you to give it to them? I closed the business instead of going against everything I tried to offer by having a nice place to shop. People flock to Walmart and are brainwashed into thinking that they are getting a good deal. This only HURTS the small businesses in this town and that is the reason why they fail. Her children are more important to her than her business as well it should be. It is not easy running a business on your own, especially in a town where every one wants something cheap instead of nice.
point made

Tucker, GA

#14 Mar 28, 2013
I really don't think that was the problem in this case. Clumsy kids has did extremely well the last year it has been open. I think every one appreciates a used clothing store for children. Kids clothes, toys, are expensive and they outgrow them quickly. But, I do agree that regular store hours should be made and any changes should not be made just via Facebook. Not everybody has Facebook, and nobody wants to call ahead and say hey are you gonna be open in a hour. But, now that she explained what was going on I think people are giving her the benefit of the doubt. And Hopkinsville needs clumsy kids. It is a great opportunity for investment to be made but it will be hard work and I think she's prepared for it. And maybe eventually she can profit enough that she can hire someone occasionally when she needs to be off, everyone needs a break. I don't think anyone speaks ill if her or the business. I hope she succeeds. I'm a adult not a child. I don't wish poverty upon anyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mcgee and his tattoos 1 hr bob the builder 24
Grace and Mercy 1 hr What 3
YMCA Changes? 1 hr Sad 17
Who owns Big Box Overstock and when is it going... 2 hr Shopper 3
Hoppers 2 hr Tiger Fan 6
Where is Janet? 5 hr Husband 2
Jade Latham 5 hr Calling em out 14
Why was pier removed from assualt case 5 hr just curious 5
heather dawn moss 17 hr Uhaalumni 121

Hopkinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hopkinsville Mortgages