Parents- School opinions
Parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#1 Mar 17, 2012
My husband and I recently moved to Hopkinsville and we're looking to get a little information about the area schools. Best and worst? Elementary, Middle and Highschool info would be appreciated.
UHA Parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#2 Mar 23, 2012
My family was transplanted here as well. We have been very happy with UHA. They have preschool ages 3-5) - 12th grade. It is a great school. We felt it was the best choice in Hopkinsville. It is not perfect, but it is more to our liking. We looked at the public schools and even visited them. After visiting the middle school and high school and observing briefly, we just felt like our kids would fit in better at UHA. I would suggest that you visit the schools before deciding to live in Hopkinsville. If we had it to do over, we would have purchased a home in the Clarksville,TN area or maybe in the Trigg County (Cadiz, KY) area. Please do your research before making a decison.
Blondie

Hopkinsville, KY

#3 Mar 23, 2012
My child goes to a private school as well.
Be sure to check out which district you will live in.
Some elementary schools are more appealing than others.
Wow

Hopkinsville, KY

#4 Mar 23, 2012
If you are wanting public schools they aren't the best here. I would suggest Hopkinsville High and Hopkinsville Middle or North Drive Middle as far as public high school and middle schools. Elementary schools to stay away from would be Belmont and Martin Luther King (ESPECIALLY!). University Heights is an okay private school, but Heritage Christian Academy is the best if you are Christian. I don't hear much about St. Peter and Paul, but what I do hear is good. There is alot of violence in the public schools around here and little discipline thanks to Brady Link. But, thankfully this is his last year with the school system. So maybe next year will show improvements.
quite mouse

Albemarle, NC

#5 Mar 23, 2012
Heritage is a bunch of stuck up snobs and when my son left there public school is more advanced in math then them. I would not go to millbrooke overcrowded due to school if choise. It is the private public school.
newshound

United States

#6 Mar 23, 2012
My god just send them to a school and shut up!
Parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#7 Mar 23, 2012
newshound wrote:
My god just send them to a school and shut up!
Really? Shut up? You're obviously one of the pathetic losers that would rather read trash about PEOPLE on topix than using it for what it's actually for. Forgive me for being concerned about my child''s education.

To everyone else, thanks for your responses. We'll be looking in to all the mentioned schools. Thanks for the help.
Parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#8 Mar 23, 2012
And to those of you who send your child to HCA or UHA, how much is tuition, if you don't mind me asking?
hoptown

Shepherdsville, KY

#9 Mar 24, 2012
I think heritage is the best choice for elementary to middle school then I would go to a public high school personally. The highs schools are not perfect but have organizations the private do not for example JROTC, FFA,FBLA, Key CLub, Beta and NHS. All of which are excellent scholarship opportunities, and if you make a presence within our school system your child becomes someone sad but true. Meaning they have a better chance of standing out than just becoming another student because they will see you as an "involved parent".
Serious

Hopkinsville, KY

#10 Mar 25, 2012
quite mouse wrote:
Heritage is a bunch of stuck up snobs and when my son left there public school is more advanced in math then them. I would not go to millbrooke overcrowded due to school if choise. It is the private public school.
Elementary has no "school of choice".
UHA Parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#11 Mar 26, 2012
Tuition depends on the grade the child is in. Pre school is the lowest and then you have lower school, middle school and upper school. Financial Aid applications are available and are sent to an independent company to be processed. Ball park estimate would be anywhere from $5-7 thousand a year.
If you have three children you get a small discount.
Teachers are wonderful and all have appropriate credentials within the area of study that they teach.
The school is truly a college prep school. So if you want your child to be prepared for college, UHA is the best choice in this area! It is not perfect, but it is the best one - we could live with- provided what else is offered in the area. If you go to public schools, be prepared to see the state mandated tests being practiced and taught! If you go to UHA your child will have really great instruction and you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they score on college entrance exams. Many of the students receive college scholarships based on academics and merit and not financial need. Check and see which school produces the highest averages on the ACT exam.
quite mouse

Denver, NC

#12 Mar 26, 2012
Serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Elementary has no "school of choice".
well it has been a few years but when my child was there they did.
parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#13 Mar 27, 2012
UHA Parent wrote:
Tuition depends on the grade the child is in. Pre school is the lowest and then you have lower school, middle school and upper school. Financial Aid applications are available and are sent to an independent company to be processed. Ball park estimate would be anywhere from $5-7 thousand a year.
If you have three children you get a small discount.
Teachers are wonderful and all have appropriate credentials within the area of study that they teach.
The school is truly a college prep school. So if you want your child to be prepared for college, UHA is the best choice in this area! It is not perfect, but it is the best one - we could live with- provided what else is offered in the area. If you go to public schools, be prepared to see the state mandated tests being practiced and taught! If you go to UHA your child will have really great instruction and you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they score on college entrance exams. Many of the students receive college scholarships based on academics and merit and not financial need. Check and see which school produces the highest averages on the ACT exam.
Thank you so much for the info!!
rose

Hopkinsville, KY

#14 Mar 27, 2012
millbrooke is a good school thats were my children go
Former Resident

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Mar 28, 2012
Hopkinsville as a whole has somewhat limited private education choices. As a former resident who now lives in a larger urban area the differences are amazing. That being said while I lived in KY my children attended both Saints Peter and Paul and UHA. Saints Peter and Paul was a disaster from the beginning and I could not in good conscience recommend it to anyone. If you can make it there my hat is off to you! My families experiences(too many to get into) were eerily similar to this other posters message here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/hopkinsville-... Transferring to UHA proved to be a good choice and although it is a bit pricey for the area I am happy with the education my children received while they were there and I would have no issue with sending them back to UHA if we were to return to the area.
Proud Parent

Hopkinsville, KY

#16 Mar 6, 2013
My daughter has been attending Millbrooke an i personally have no complaints. But my daughters teacher constantly tells me my child is readung an doing work "above 1st grade level" an she is in kindergarten. I want the best education possible for my child an would love fir ger to attebd UHA with my neice. But i cannot afford it an dint kni where to start to apply for a scholarship. I have even contacted UHA, an didnt get answers. PLZ HELP!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
woodshed 11 min Two Cents 9
Shopping complex 48 min Cmon 3
Dykes and their butch haircuts 54 min hahaha 9
steve tucker post taken down 54 min Common knowledge 6
Justin Parkers Homosexual gangbang parties 1 hr player unknown 3
Old men that swap political parties 1 hr LOL 10
Walmart on Canton 2 hr The Preacher 25
Commonwealth attorneys race 2 hr The Preacher 63
Possum Eaters In Pembroke 3 hr Obie 14
270 Entertainment 3 hr Yuck 6