why is Dots closing?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just want to know

Shepherdsville, KY

#1 Jul 31, 2011
Did Hopkinsville not support this place?
Or was it the management?
the employees?
the cost or the quality of the food?
what is your thoughts?

Hopkinsville, KY

#2 Jul 31, 2011
From all accounts there was nothing wrong with either the food or the service. Keeping a restaurant afloat is a crapshoot in the best of times. With so many out of work (and TeaParty assholes wanting to throw them off of unemployment), it stands to reason that fewer people are eating out. Dot's got caught in the undertow.

Of course, there will be those who think that the people of Hopkinsville are to blame. These are the same ones suggesting the poor are at fault for being poor, and those without work are at fault for being laid off.

You're better off ignoring those morons and simply wishing the former owners the best of luck in trying times.

Owensboro, KY

#3 Jul 31, 2011
I think from the food I have eaten there that they may have suffered from quality of the food/

Bowling Green, KY

#4 Jul 31, 2011
Look around on these very threads. People insult and do not support local businesses, then complain about why they don't have anything nice here. It is simple cause and effect. I feel sorry for the business owners because they deserve better than what this community gives them.

United States

#5 Jul 31, 2011
I agree with you anonymouse. People around this area refuse to support local business. Most people had rather drive an hour or so to get something at a big national company than to support a local business. People need to realize that if they support a locally owned business the money stays in the community. By supporting a national chain the money support's who know's what.
Adam Smith

Hopkinsville, KY

#6 Jul 31, 2011
In a free market, business owners reap what they sow. If Dot's failed, it was because THEY failed to match product to customer desire. People are still eating out, they simply choose to dine elsewhere. If you build it, they'll come. If you fail, blame your vision.

"Keeping it local" is a sad-assed attempt at using guilt in place of quality. Stop blaming others for your own problems.
Wad Cutter

Nebo, KY

#7 Jul 31, 2011
Yes, thats true...just look at the Mexican rest's, they seem to be doing fine..they are local....But its strange....I do not ....for the life of me see how the darn Subways stay open...I mean they serve crap on bread...and people eat it up? Ewww wheee!

Hopkinsville, KY

#8 Aug 1, 2011
Adam Smith has it right. How long has Cancun/El Bra been around? Those places (esp. Cancun) have been here for a long, long time and they seem to be doing just fine. Why? The food is top notch, some of the best in the region. The service lacks but meh.

Dots built for the future and never got there. Business hasn't popped up on the MLK bypass like a lot of us thought it would, so it remained in an out of the way location, in a place where most people rarely venture. Out of sight, out of mind. I know that I forgot we even had a Dots from time to time until I passed it infrequently.

You've got to have a better than average it factor somewhere to stay afloat.

Dots had neither the location (out of the way), the excellent food (it was average), the outstanding service (average again), or the bargain pricing (it was slightly above average). How were they supposed to stay afloat?

Lol, here's a quick guide to owning a business in Hoptown.

If it's a bar, downtown
If it's a restaurant, boulevard
Anything else...nah. Just go to Walmart.
The Food

Hopkinsville, KY

#9 Aug 1, 2011
Well we went yesterday had to wait forever for our food and my husband's hushpuppies were burnt and the dot's were hard as a rock!!

White Plains, KY

#10 Aug 1, 2011
My Family went there on day for lunch. 9 of us. Waited over an hour to sit, did not even take our order for another 20 minutes. Owner was talking about new head chef, while she got our drink order. Then the waiter came rolling eyes at the owner and talking about her- not knowing us at all. The only thing we had that had to be cooked was a hamburger and the grilled chicken on our salads. It took over an hour to get our food.

Our lunch took over 3 hours total. Trying to be nice, and not getting up and leaving (children upset and hungry) No one said thank you when finished.

What was noticed the most. Larger parties were taken very good care of as we sat and waited. One party of 14 had a table waiting, was served, desert, and left before we got our food.

We will not return.
The Food

Hopkinsville, KY

#11 Aug 1, 2011
Of course you won't its closing...lol

United States

#12 Aug 1, 2011
I heard THEIR going to lease the building, its going to be a Mexican restaurant....

United States

#14 Aug 2, 2011
The property owner wanted more rent and he found someone to pay it?
just want to know

Hopkinsville, KY

#15 Aug 3, 2011
the property owner was the managers fathers.
what i heard was dots never paid rent and the father was tired of the son spending all the money and wanted rent and the restaurant could not pay for it after paying all of the managers personal bills. but, this is all just here-say

Marysville, MI

#16 Aug 4, 2011
Dots is not closing because of the lack of business. It did well. We ate there often and it was always crowded.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#17 Aug 4, 2011
My family went there 3 times. Starting a few months after they opened up to about a year ago. The sevice never was very good. The last two times the place was dirty. The carpet in the dining room was gross as were the bathrooms. The food was good enough. Sometimes that isn't enough, people will go to a place for that atmosphere. I think they just needed better management over all. The location is really good. I think a better managed eatery would do well there. My family does eat out a lot. We do go to the Mexican place and O'Charley's very often. They have good food as well as good service. Where as Applebees may have good food they lack severely in customer service.
dining out

United States

#18 Aug 11, 2011
I have eaten there several times and have never had good service and the meals have not been very tasty. If other people had the same experiance I had dining there I can understand why the are going out of business..
h town pride

United States

#19 Aug 12, 2011
Dots is going to be a new mexican res truant
Kill me now

Gilbertsville, KY

#20 Aug 12, 2011
h town pride wrote:
Dots is going to be a new mexican res truant
I hope that was a joke. But damn if they cant cook and run a tasty food stop!
h town pride

United States

#21 Aug 13, 2011
Not a joke at all. My sister has worked there since they opened and that's what the owner said when they fired her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Butler Road Meth Bust 1 hr childish 23
WKDZ reports 1 hr The Boss 8
HFD and Capt Stevie 2 hr Bathroom cleaner 1
Western State Hospital (Jul '15) 3 hr I know better 7
Ha--your birthday Jerry Orten 3 hr Bigeasy 8
Sandra Young? 4 hr Andrea farris 1
murder Suspect Protected? 5 hr someone who knows 26

Hopkinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance