Is spanking a child with a wooden spo...

Is spanking a child with a wooden spoon abuse?

Created by Mindset on Sep 27, 2012

190 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes....YES!

No, god says its ok.

Hell no go for it!

It depends

Really

United States

#41 Sep 28, 2012
Super Nucking Futs wrote:
But in case you don't believe something you see on the internet, or everything you read, I went ahead and took the trouble to post more evidence. Here ya go!
Please review:
Bryan, J. W., & Freed, F. W.(1982). Corporal punishment: Normative data and sociological and psychological correlates in a community college population. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 11, 77-87.
Carey, T. A.(1994). Spare the rod and spoil the child: Is this a sensible justification for the use of punishment in child rearing? Child Abuse & Neglect, 18(12), 1005-1010.
Flynn, C. P.(1999). Exploring the link between corporal punishment and children's cruelty to animals. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 61, 971-981.
Frick, P. J., Christian, R. E., & Wootton, J. M.(1999). Age trends in the association between parenting practices and conduct problems. Behavior Modification, 23(1), 106-128.
Gunnoe, M. L., & Mariner, C. L.(1997). Towards a developmental-contextual model of the effects of parental spanking on children's aggression. Archives in Pediatric Adolescent Medicine, 151, 768-775.
Johnson, T.(2001). The sexual dangers of spanking children (2nd ed.)[Booklet]. Alamo, CA: PTAVE.
Larzelere, R. E., Sather, P. R., Schneider, W. N., Larson, D. L., & Pike, P. L.(1998). Punishment enhances reasoning's effectiveness as a disciplinary response to toddlers. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 60, 388-403.
Larzelere, R. E., Schneider, W. N., Larson, D. B., & Pike, P. L.(1996). The effects of discipline responses in delaying toddler misbehavior recurrences. Child and Family Therapy, 18, 35-37.
Muller, R. T., Hunter, J. E., & Stollak, G.(1995). The intergenerational transmission of corporal punishment: A comparison of social learning and temperament models. Child Abuse & Neglect, 19(11), 1323-1335.
Roberts, M. W., & Powers, S. W.(1990). Adjusting chair timeout enforcement procedures for oppositional children. Behavior Therapy, 21, 257-271.
Simons, R. L., Lin, K., & Gordon, L. C.(1998). Socialization in the family of origin and male dating violence: A prospective study. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 60, 467-478.
Straus, M. A.(Ed.).(1994). Beating the devil out of them: Corporal punishment in American families and its effect on children. Boston: Lexington.
Straus, M. A., & Donnelly, D. A.(1994). The fusion of sex and violence. In M. A. Straus (Ed.), Beating the devil out of them: Corporal punishment in American families (pp. 121-136). Boston: Lexington.
Turner, H. A., & Finkelhor, D.(1996). Corporal punishment as a stressor among youth. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 58, 155-166.
"If we are ever to turn toward a kindlier society and a safer world, a revulsion of physical punishment would be a great place to start." Dr. Benjamin Spock
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9...
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2012/02/06/c...
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-513469.ht...
ARE THEY ALL LYING!?
No there just opinionated
TootThatThang

Hopkinsville, KY

#42 Sep 29, 2012
If you value personal experience over science, then do the world a favor and complete a study on the effects of exhaust fumes on the human body. The sooner you suck on the end of an exhaust pipe and fcuking die, the sooner our nation's IQ gets a bump.
TootThatHorn

Madisonville, KY

#43 Sep 29, 2012
It seems as if a few anti spanking individuals on here have more built up aggression and frustration than I. I have never once talked down to or bullied anyone on here. I guess you have just proven my point that a spanking is not such a bad thing after all.
john

United States

#44 Sep 29, 2012
Some kids really need a good beating otherwise they turn out all ghetto and amounting to nothing

Since: Jul 12

Shepherdsville, KY

#45 Sep 29, 2012
TootThatHorn wrote:
It seems as if a few anti spanking individuals on here have more built up aggression and frustration than I. I have never once talked down to or bullied anyone on here. I guess you have just proven my point that a spanking is not such a bad thing after all.
Lol, that's the worst justification for anything I've ever seen. "They strongly express their opinions, they should have been beaten as children!"
matt

Prior Lake, MN

#46 Apr 21, 2013
I always spank my son with a wooden spoon! i like to see his ass get bright red and when he has enough pain i stop. bare butt over my lap with the spoon!
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#47 Oct 12, 2013
People that hit their kids r complete idiots. The only reason the gov has not out lawed "spanking" children is because they know that if they took it away, idiotic dumb ass parents would b lost when it comes to raising their kids. So the gov keeps the law for the stupid parent's sake. Why r children the only ones allowed to be hit????? Smack an adult on the butt without their consent and it's sexual harassment. Hit an adult and it's called assault. Hit an animal and it's animal abuse or cruelty. But hit a kid and smack them on their butt and it's "discipline". More like punishment. Violence is only acceptable towards children because conditioned idiots can't think. Bad parenting.
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#48 Oct 12, 2013
Super Nucking Futs wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, that's the worst justification for anything I've ever seen. "They strongly express their opinions, they should have been beaten as children!"
I know rite
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#49 Oct 12, 2013
TootMyHorn wrote:
You know, spanking can be a form of recreation as well.
So slapping someone on the butt is a form of recreation???? How???
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#50 Oct 12, 2013
question please wrote:
Oh please! That's why kids get away with murder. And no its not abuse to whoop a kid. I didn't say beat them. Ppl that stop whooping their children and taking God out of everything is why u see the cops inside the schools everyday and the reason why the jails are full of 14, 15, year olds.
Kids murder because of no butt battering?? I wow trick. How stupid. U see cops in schools because pple "stopped" "whooping" their children????? Mayb those kids n jails have mental illnesses and don't need beating - I mean "spanking". N btw, when did god say to "whoop" ur kids anyway??? That word isn't in the bible now is it??? Stop mixing stupid ass American culture with religion. Idiots.
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#51 Oct 12, 2013
Why do people think u need to slap a kids hand to "get their attention"??? If u want someones attention, why don't u just tap their shoulder or physically turn them around to you??? Only IDIOTS need hitting and violence to communicate.
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#52 Oct 12, 2013
john wrote:
Some kids really need a good beating otherwise they turn out all ghetto and amounting to nothing
Why??? Is that what the bible says???
Spare the rod please

Hazel Crest, IL

#53 Oct 12, 2013
Man up wrote:
<quoted text> I hope you learn to spell Jesus before judgement day. Seven times hotter than fire is pretty hot.
Shut up about "judgement day". Any sane person would get irritated if dumb bitches kept on using the bible to JUSTIFY beating and hitting kids. Stupid so called Christians that talk about a loving god that wants u to assault and hurt children and make them cry. Yeah- that's very Christian like. I hope u stop being a pussy before judgement day.
Single Mother of 4

Hopkinsville, KY

#54 Oct 12, 2013
I would like to say that first off I work 2 jobs and try very hard to get my kids the things they need and if they "want" something, then I try to work harder to accomplish this. I'm gonna say I have spanked my children in certain circumstances but it is not something I've done often. I no longer spank any of them because they are old enough now to be talked to and to understand their actions are wrong. The thing I have never done is verbally abuse them or talk down to them. I by no means think spanking is wrong. Heck I'm just trying to be a good parent. Does anyone know 100 percent the right way to be a parent? I know this I love my kids with everything in me and I know without a shadow of a doubt they love me. Now as a result of my particular parenting. I have 4 very smart, respectable, humble, loving children that laugh and enjoy life. I'm right now in the process of raising 3 teenage boys!! This is a big roller coaster ride! I have not had to spank them thank goodness because my oldest is 6 2" and weighs 230 lbs to my 5 6" and 130 lbs. I would feel pretty silly if I had to. He is a fine young man and I find having a long talk works wonders. The same goes for my other 2 teenagers. My daughter on the other hand is 11, the only girl and the youngest to boot and she is a handful, still? She is a great kid. As I've said I use a lot of different methods, spanking included. Is this the best way? I don't know, I just try to be the best parent I can be. I do know that neither one of my children have been into any trouble in school or out of school. Most people who are around them comment on how well behaved and respectful they are. I also know that my kids would come to me in any situation if they needed help. I also know that while growing up, my father never spanked me not one time, but my mom sure did. I think I've turned out to be a pretty good addition to society. Now to some of the comments about people being educated or non educated? I will say that my mom did not have any schooling outside of high school and yes she spanked me. I on the other hand have a college degree. Several if my friends have as well and have used spanking at some point in their children's lives. The thing I see the most harmful is the verbal abuse. I have a niece that it seemed like her mother hated her, was always calling her ugly and fat, she has a horrible drug filled life. I have another niece who went to live with her father when she was 10. He allowed her to do anything she wanted, never spanked her. She had sex at 11, and is a meth addict and has had her own daughter taken away. The problem is there are no morals anymore and children are not being taught right from wrong, no respect and that everything should be handed to them without hard work to achieve it. This what are next generation is becoming. I worry for my kids futures every day. So good luck to all the parents out there. I wish you every success in raising your children because your child could be our next president or the next terrorist we see on the news. The thing is that one day they will all be adults, and they will either take what they have learned from child hood and use it for good or bad, but at some point they will be held accountable for their own actions.
Lard Jeebus

Hopkinsville, KY

#55 Oct 12, 2013
Yeah its pretty interesting that the great and powerful OZ....I mean "god"....creator of all great science and everything in the universe only had "spare the rod" for advice to parents....
That guy...boy does he love violence!
What a genius.
Rational Anarchist

Hopkinsville, KY

#56 Oct 14, 2013
A recent case in California/Kookaburraland:
A woman spanked her 12 year old daughter with a wooden spoon, leaving bruises on her behind. Cali CPS took the girl, claiming abuse. Judge said, "Give her back, NO ABUSE!" Cali CPS appealed. Cali CPS LOST! Girl back with Mother, and behavior is "much improved", according to Mother. Draw your own conclusions, folks.....
Oh, I might add- Gov. Moonbeam of California recently VETOED a Gun Control bill. Has the world gone MAD?? California? Guns? Owning a gun in California is actually NOT a bad thing? Spanking your kid in California is actually not a bad thing, either? "Holy Moses and the Angels, cast your pitying glances down!!"
Rational Anarchist

Hopkinsville, KY

#57 Oct 14, 2013
Here's the real deal....excluding Religion, anger, stupidity, meanness, and, "Kentucky Windage":

If your child knows that you love them, and are spanking them out of a SINCERE DESIRE to correct their behavior, then it'll work.

If your child knows that the only reason you're spanking them is for, "cockblocking", then it WON'T WORK!

Here's in the VAIN hope that the arguments over spanking have been clarified to ya'll's satisfaction; but I know people better than that.
rdc

Maggie Valley, NC

#58 Oct 14, 2013
good mom wrote:
And children that get beat with a wooden spoon gets took away from people like you. No need to beat a child. Do you people not read the newspaper? Children get took away even if you spank them with your hand now in these days
Time out that's a joke, when I was growing up time out meant you were unconscious! That's time out!
Lard Jeebus

Dawson Springs, KY

#59 Oct 14, 2013
Parents who spank lack skills. Plain and simple.

You spank kids for what they did instead of teaching them whats right. Its just easier for you because you are weak.
SHUT UP!

United States

#60 Oct 14, 2013
Lard Jeebus wrote:
Parents who spank lack skills. Plain and simple.

You spank kids for what they did instead of teaching them whats right. Its just easier for you because you are weak.
My parents whipped my butt when I deserved it and trust me I was not an angel! Didn't make them any less of a parent or make them weak! You and people with the same opinion as you is what's wrong with this world today! Kids nowadays a lazy, disrespectful, and need a good Ol fashioned whippin'! My parents raised me well and are still great parents to this day! I have no ill feelings of them for "correcting" me when I was wrong! Time outs puh lease!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clayton rejects Hoptown 24 min NewEra 3
Is you ignant? 27 min Haha 2
McDonalds and electric companies 1 hr Boxer Joe 15
Why do Jews take land? 1 hr Really 7
Fairies at the Alhambra tonight 1 hr HSTruman 8
Who's the richest person in Hopkinsville? 1 hr Poor bastard 33
New Noveldale steakhouse 1 hr fgfgfg 22
Christian County schools central office 3 hr Wilma Rudolph 13
Knock um hill bar b q 16 hr damn 7

Hopkinsville Jobs