1 in 5 Americans are religiously unaf...

1 in 5 Americans are religiously unaffiliated

Posted in the Hopkinsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
times are a changin

Paducah, KY

#1 Oct 9, 2012
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/09/14...

Yes it is ok to check NONE. Yeah none!

Soon it will be 4 in 5...and then religion will be treated just like santa.
times are a changin

Paducah, KY

#2 Oct 9, 2012
times are a changin

Paducah, KY

#3 Oct 9, 2012
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121009/NE ...|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

“Today, there’s no shame in saying you’re an unbeliever, no cultural pressure to claim a religious affiliation, no matter how remote or loose,” Mohler says.“This is a wake-up call. We have an incredible challenge ahead for committed Christians.”

Challenge? If you attempt to challenge reason and logic with your bible....prepare to lose. If you attempt to give faith as the answer...prepare to lose. Oh wait...thats why you are losing now! Its only taken the internet roughly 15 years to start to disassemble centuries of lies, what will the next 15 years bring in the scope of religion? Im giddy at the prospect!

Knowledge is power! Knowledge has set humans free from religious bondage, the god virus is dying. Knowledge kills superstition.

It will be a wonderful time when this same poll taken in the Middle East has similar outcomes! I hope I live to see it.
love=God

United States

#4 Oct 9, 2012
times are a changin wrote:
http://www.tennessean.com/arti cle/20121009/NE...|topnews|tex t|FRONTPAGE

“Today, there’s no shame in saying you’re an unbeliever, no cultural pressure to claim a religious affiliation, no matter how remote or loose,” Mohler says.“This is a wake-up call. We have an incredible challenge ahead for committed Christians.”

Challenge? If you attempt to challenge reason and logic with your bible....prepare to lose. If you attempt to give faith as the answer...prepare to lose. Oh wait...thats why you are losing now! Its only taken the internet roughly 15 years to start to disassemble centuries of lies, what will the next 15 years bring in the scope of religion? Im giddy at the prospect!

Knowledge is power! Knowledge has set humans free from religious bondage, the god virus is dying. Knowledge kills superstition.

It will be a wonderful time when this same poll taken in the Middle East has similar outcomes! I hope I live to see it.
number one God is not a virus!! You don't want to believe that's fine. You go watch tbn and u will see how many ppl over in other countries are running away from there beliefs and going straight into the arms of God. I pray all non believers see the light before Jesus comes to get His ppl. How sad is it going to be when He comes back and those who choose not to believe or those who never repented for their sins are going to be left behind.

Since: Jul 12

Hopkinsville, KY

#5 Oct 9, 2012
Can you guys get your stories straight? Are you guys going to get sucked up into heaven (vanish!) and we're going to get LEFT BEHIND, the FICTION NOVEL based NOT AT ALL upon the BIBLE, sorry...or are we just going to hell when we die?
love=God

United States

#6 Oct 9, 2012
Super Nucking Futs wrote:
Can you guys get your stories straight? Are you guys going to get sucked up into heaven (vanish!) and we're going to get LEFT BEHIND, the FICTION NOVEL based NOT AT ALL upon the BIBLE, sorry...or are we just going to hell when we die?
the choice is yours. God gives us free will. You choose or not choose. When He comes He will take His ppl home. But you will get another chance. However if u can't make it now i dont know how u will make it then cuz this place will be taken over by the antichrist. If I was u I would think about believing in the Lord. What do u have to loose? Have u ever believed? If u haven't then u should look into it a little deeper. I'm not trying to start anything. I just know what I know. God has done so much for me. Things a man on this earth could never do. Jesus Has been with me through my darkest hour in my life. He has healed my body when I had so many doc tell me "I wish u had cancer cuz we could take care of that" my Lord healed me. My baby which is 15 yrs old now but when he was born we got bad news after bad news and the one news we got was he had a huge hole in his heart and they had to do open heart surgery on my month old baby. To make a long story short the elders of my church prayed for him that whole week. Doc was taking him into surgery when I looked at my dad and said this ain't right God had healed my son. Doc did one more test and that hole was gone. Doc turned to me and my dad and said "that's God for you". I'm not trying to be a thorn in your side. I just want ever one to feel is presents like I do. It's the best high u will ever feel. Sure u have bad days but God will be there at all times. We go through things to make us stronger. We go through thing for ppl like u that don't believe. Maybe my Miracle is for u to see so maybe u will be a believer some day (not just u).
urkidding

Sioux Falls, SD

#7 Oct 9, 2012
times are a changin wrote:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_new s/2012/10/09/14316083-1-in-5-a mericans-are-religiously-unaff iliated-survey-shows?lite& ocid=msnhp
Yes it is ok to check NONE. Yeah none!
Soon it will be 4 in 5...and then religion will be treated just like santa.
Yes, times are changing. Look at our murder, suicide, and divorce rates. We are definetly heading in the right direction.
nokidding

Sioux Falls, SD

#8 Oct 9, 2012
times are a changin wrote:
http://www.tennessean.com/arti cle/20121009/NE...|topnews|tex t|FRONTPAGE
“Today, there’s no shame in saying you’re an unbeliever, no cultural pressure to claim a religious affiliation, no matter how remote or loose,” Mohler says.“This is a wake-up call. We have an incredible challenge ahead for committed Christians.”
Challenge? If you attempt to challenge reason and logic with your bible....prepare to lose. If you attempt to give faith as the answer...prepare to lose. Oh wait...thats why you are losing now! Its only taken the internet roughly 15 years to start to disassemble centuries of lies, what will the next 15 years bring in the scope of religion? Im giddy at the prospect!
Knowledge is power! Knowledge has set humans free from religious bondage, the god virus is dying. Knowledge kills superstition.
It will be a wonderful time when this same poll taken in the Middle East has similar outcomes! I hope I live to see it.
Without the humanity of the early Church, you would have a hard time spelling knowledge, let alone ponificate about it,bill marr,jr.

“Dewey Beats Truman!”

Since: Apr 12

Here

#9 Oct 9, 2012
It really confused me to read these findings in so many newspapers and on the internet today. Republicants tell me that the liberal media is helping turn us all into a godless society, but almost every article on this subject had more than enough unfounded religious shit stirring that this was going to be the end of us all if the trend continued? So Christians why was so much of the "libural medea" on your side today? I thought you guys were the oppressed minority, but you all seemed to dogpile on the real minority with this story!

“Dewey Beats Truman!”

Since: Apr 12

Here

#10 Oct 9, 2012
nokidding wrote:
<quoted text>Without the humanity of the early Church, you would have a hard time spelling knowledge, let alone ponificate about it,bill marr,jr.
Because we know the church allowed so much literacy and knowledge in it's early days? ammirite? Even if you were allowed to read, they still did the whole ceremony in a dead language so they could tell you what it meant. They threw the whole of Europe into the Dark Ages and what little of the previous cultures advancements that survived were saved only by the Ottoman Empire (how dare those Middle Eastern savages preserve ideas like a round Earth, astronomy, and math?!!?)

FYI: Just to be technical, the word "knowledge" and it's spelling are purely English in origin. While one could argue the constant fighting over the land by the native pagan population against Saxons, Normans, and others did have some influence in the formation of it's confusingly complex rules and words... there is no evidence that the Church or lack thereof would have created this word or how we use it. Moreover church and religion had ZERO influence over the modern American education system that would have actually taught Mr. "times" how to spell or use that word, so your position seems flawed at best.
Sure I am splitting hairs over what your intent was when you said this. But if you are really going to make a case for being smarter-than-thou because of your myths, then don't bring a rusty bent butterkife to the fight.
muscleman

Corbin, KY

#11 Oct 9, 2012
You know who else has been affiliated with one in five Americans? MY MOM!
love=God

United States

#12 Oct 10, 2012
If u don't mind me asking to all non believers, do u celebrate Christmas which is the day we celebrate Jesus's bday? Do u celebrate Easter which is to celebrate Jesus's resurrection? And if u do doesnt that make you a hypocrite? Just asking not trying to start a war.

Since: Jul 12

Hopkinsville, KY

#13 Oct 10, 2012
[QUOTE who="love=God"]If u don't mind me asking to all non believers, do u celebrate Christmas which is the day we celebrate Jesus's bday? Do u celebrate Easter which is to celebrate Jesus's resurrection? And if u do doesnt that make you a hypocrite? Just asking not trying to start a war.
[/QUOTE]

This line of thinking demonstrates your relative lack of knowledge about even your own religion. There have been celebrations on/around that time of year well before "Christmas" as you know it came around, and there are also many different today. In fact, one of the reasons the church decided that they would celebrate Jesus' birthday on the 25th was because it coincided with so many of these celebrations. So...doesn't it make YOU hypocritical to celebrate the birth of Christ on a day that was definitely not?

As for Easter, eh, my wife does the church thing with my kid on that one. So I stay home and give myself a reason to delete my browser history.
love=God

United States

#14 Oct 10, 2012
Super Nucking Futs wrote:
[QUOTE who="love=God"]If u don't mind me asking to all non believers, do u celebrate Christmas which is the day we celebrate Jesus's bday? Do u celebrate Easter which is to celebrate Jesus's resurrection? And if u do doesnt that make you a hypocrite? Just asking not trying to start a war.
"

This line of thinking demonstrates your relative lack of knowledge about even your own religion. There have been celebrations on/around that time of year well before "Christmas" as you know it came around, and there are also many different today. In fact, one of the reasons the church decided that they would celebrate Jesus' birthday on the 25th was because it coincided with so many of these celebrations. So...doesn't it make YOU hypocritical to celebrate the birth of Christ on a day that was odefinitely not?

As for Easter, eh, my wife does the church thing with my kid on that one. So I stay home and give myself a reason to delete my browser history.
no I'm not a hypocrite. Yes we all know it's not THE day Christ was born but it is the day Christians celebrate christmas. Notice the word Christmas its about Christ. Not that it's any of my business but does your wife believe in God? If so is it hard on u two has far as God is concerned? You don't have to answer if u don't want to. I'm not trying to be disrespectful.

Since: Jul 12

Hopkinsville, KY

#15 Oct 10, 2012
[QUOTE who="love=God"]<q uoted text>
no I'm not a hypocrite. Yes we all know it's not THE day Christ was born but it is the day Christians celebrate christmas. Notice the word Christmas its about Christ. Not that it's any of my business but does your wife believe in God? If so is it hard on u two has far as God is concerned? You don't have to answer if u don't want to. I'm not trying to be disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you call it Christmas, but we call it the holiday season. It coincides with many different religious and non secular holidays and as agnostics/atheists, we simply enjoy the ride on whichever ones our families happen to celebrate, because who says no to free presents? Lol.

As far as my wife, it's never been hard on us in terms of our relationship. Marriage, after all, is a very big set of compromises. I accept that she has her beliefs, however ridiculous, and she accepts that I have ideas that follow logic and reason. It makes for some fun banter around the house. Maybe one day she'll come to her senses, but then again, maybe not. It's irrelevant to me, people should be allowed to believe what they want so long as they don't infringe on others rights or try to affect public policy.

Hell, I even let her take my son to church every now and again. I disagree with it, but it's important too for him to learn that he has a multitude of options and he should be exposed to all the information we can expose him to so that when he grows old enough he can make an informed decision as to how/what he chooses to believe.
love=God

United States

#16 Oct 10, 2012
Super Nucking Futs wrote:
[QUOTE who="love=God"]<q uoted text>
no I'm not a hypocrite. Yes we all know it's not THE day Christ was born but it is the day Christians celebrate christmas. Notice the word Christmas its about Christ. Not that it's any of my business but does your wife believe in God? If so is it hard on u two has far as God is concerned? You don't have to answer if u don't want to. I'm not trying to be disrespectful."

Yes, you call it Christmas, but we call it the holiday season. It coincides with many different religious and non secular holidays and as agnostics/atheists, we simply enjoy the ride on whichever ones our families happen to celebrate, because who says no to free presents? Lol.

As far as my wife, it's never been hard on us in terms of our relationship. Marriage, after all, is a very big set of compromises. I accept that she has her beliefs, however ridiculous, and she accepts that I have ideas that follow logic and reason. It makes for some fun banter around the house. Maybe one day she'll come to her senses, but then again, maybe not. It's irrelevant to me, people should be allowed to believe what they want so long as they don't infringe on others rights or try to affect public policy.

Hell, I even let her take my son to church every now and again. I disagree with it, but it's important too for him to learn that he has a multitude of options and he should be exposed to all the information we can expose him to so that when he grows old eno can make an informed decision as to how/what he chooses to believe.
cool. However I bet your wife would change one little thing u just said... U come to your senses. Lol

“Dewey Beats Truman!”

Since: Apr 12

Here

#17 Oct 10, 2012
[QUOTE who="love=God"]If u don't mind me asking to all non believers, do u celebrate Christmas which is the day we celebrate Jesus's bday? Do u celebrate Easter which is to celebrate Jesus's resurrection? And if u do doesnt that make you a hypocrite? Just asking not trying to start a war.
[/QUOTE]No more than it makes you a hypocrite by celebrating Jesus' birthday and resurrection on Pagan holidays filled with European Pagan traditions to celebrate a man who lived in the Middle East.
The basic secular parts, gift/candy giving, hiding eggs, spending time with the family, etc do not need a religious basis to enjoy. These holidays and traditions outdate your religion, so how does it make anyone a hypocrite to just play along with a fun celebration that society at large enjoys? There is a very small Christian population in Japan and China but Christmas is becoming a huge holiday in those countries, they just don't worry about the religious parts.
love=God

United States

#18 Oct 10, 2012
the real anonymouse wrote:
[QUOTE who="love=God"]If u don't mind me asking to all non believers, do u celebrate Christmas which is the day we celebrate Jesus's bday? Do u celebrate Easter which is to celebrate Jesus's resurrection? And if u do doesnt that make you a hypocrite? Just asking not trying to start a war.
"

No more than it makes you a hypocrite by celebrating Jesus' birthday and resurrection on Pagan holidays filled with European Pagan traditions to celebrate a man who lived in the Middle East.
The basic secular parts, gift/candy giving, hiding eggs, spending time with the family, etc do not need a religious basis to enjoy. These holidays and traditions outdate your religion, so how does it make anyone a hypocrite to just play along with a fun celebration that society at large enjoys? There is a very small Christian population in Japan and China but Christmas is becoming a huge holiday in those countries, they just don't worry about the religious parts.
thanks for your input. I was just wonder. U know if I had it my way everyone would believe it the Lord. But since it's not my way I like to know and understand others. I believe ppl can talk about things like this and not get mad at one another. But I will omit I some times get a lil up set. But I guess that ok cuz when u believe in something really strongly u just want every one else to believe.
fyi

Owensboro, KY

#19 Oct 10, 2012
People have finally figured out that organized religion is for the weak minded. If you want to sit around and listen to fairy tales you can go listen to readings at the public library and they won't pass around the plate and try to guilt you in to giving 10%.
love=God

Sarasota, FL

#20 Oct 10, 2012
fyi wrote:
People have finally figured out that organized religion is for the weak minded. If you want to sit around and listen to fairy tales you can go listen to readings at the public library and they won't pass around the plate and try to guilt you in to giving 10%.
giving to the Lord is great. FYI, I have seen u all over topix I think u just like to start trouble ever where u go. I do believe u have a lot of issues U need to work out. If there's any one on topix that needs the Lords help it's YOU! Lol But on a serious note the Lord has blessed me every time I give. It may not be money all the time it could be my health or my families health but He always blesses me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Divorce attorney 42 min like it hot 12
is it true 44 min like it hot 2
suicide 46 min justice 3
special prosecutor in jail case 51 min justice 2
Which Churches around allow members to drink al... 53 min morris 7
court system 58 min real 4
Green Hill Memorial Garden (May '13) 1 hr Marabel 304
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hopkinsville Mortgages