Pen pals meet after 27 years

Pen pals meet after 27 years

There are 21 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 25, 2010, titled Pen pals meet after 27 years. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

After exchanging letters for 27 years, Phyllis Arnett, of Kennard, Ind., and Debbie Goldenberg, of Hopkins, met for the first time on Friday at O Charley s, a restaurant in Greenfield, Ind.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GreatDay

Fayetteville, NC

#1 Oct 26, 2010
Fantastic, just a good old fashioned "ALL AMERICAN STORY"
observer

United States

#2 Oct 26, 2010
want to increase readership? a story of this genre everyday would help. There are wonderful people and stories everywhere, we just need to look around and appreciate the positives of our world. we are all going to hell in a hand basket, no need to scream on the way down!!
Cynic

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 26, 2010
While this is a lovely story, shouldn't Goldenberg have been at MEA meetings?
Jhockey

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Oct 26, 2010
observer wrote:
want to increase readership? a story of this genre everyday would help. There are wonderful people and stories everywhere, we just need to look around and appreciate the positives of our world. we are all going to hell in a hand basket, no need to scream on the way down!!
I agree about having a story like this every day. What a great way to start off your day!
JBrown

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 26, 2010
Nice story!
teebone7

San Francisco, CA

#7 Oct 26, 2010
Wow, great story. That really takes me back to my childhood. I did the very same thing as a child 30+ years ago. I once got a response from someone in Wisconsin who found my balloon and 5x7 recipe card with my name and address, but we never stayed in touch.
Ms V

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Oct 26, 2010
This goes to show what is right with people. They both got more out of the relationship than either imagined at the start, no doubt.
The real - NICE

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Oct 26, 2010
Nice story...

Today, kids wouldn't be allowed to let ballons go, as they may be a hazzard to the enviornment.
Euphorianville

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Oct 26, 2010
The real - NICE wrote:
Nice story...
Today, kids wouldn't be allowed to let ballons go, as they may be a hazzard to the enviornment.
Now that the Sierra Club has crushed the much needed Stillwater bridge again they can set sight on this woman for her non-green childhood ballon launch.
great

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Oct 26, 2010
nice story-thank you
YNP

Yellowstone National Park, WY

#12 Oct 26, 2010
Great story! What is this paper, pen and stamped envelope contraption they speak of? Can you get it at Best Buy?
tld

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Oct 26, 2010
FINALLY! A story to put a smile on anyone's face!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#14 Oct 26, 2010
Fabulous and heart-warming story! It brought tears to my eyes. Much better to cry over this type of story than to cry over the stories on rapes, murders and politics.
truth teller

Rochester, MN

#15 Oct 26, 2010
Cynic wrote:
While this is a lovely story, shouldn't Goldenberg have been at MEA meetings?
Sorry Cynic but you have to be at least twelvle years old to attend MEA, where as Goldenberg was only 11 and 1/2 then.
As for the 425 miles from St Paul to Ind, In well I think that is the wrong number. I am guesing closer to 600.
got to tell the truth
Left Out

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Oct 26, 2010
Only the inclusion of a dog and a submission by Laura Ingalls Wilder could have made this a better story. Thanks for sharing your stories.
Annie

Hopkins, MN

#17 Oct 26, 2010
truth teller wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry Cynic but you have to be at least twelvle years old to attend MEA, where as Goldenberg was only 11 and 1/2 then.
As for the 425 miles from St Paul to Ind, In well I think that is the wrong number. I am guesing closer to 600.
got to tell the truth
While I hate to support what Cynic said, I believe they were referring to the fact that MEA was the week/end that Goldenberg traveled to visit Arnett. Still doesn't make Cynic less of a grinch, though.
Greg T

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for a wonderful story!
What What

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Oct 26, 2010
This has nothing to do with Favre's ankle
Happy to hear

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Oct 26, 2010
Wonderful story,

After hearing that Phyllis had lost her own daughter at age 16 - and that her daughter and son had done the same thing with balloons when they were the same age - I'm wondering if she felt the same way I would - wondering "if" maybe some hand of fate made sure that Debbie's balloon made it's way in to her hands so that Phyllis would inevitably have this wonderful relationship with another yound lady that would fill her heart and soul where the loss for her daughter had been.

Amazing how things like this happen - really makes you feel good to know that it can.

I know it warms my heart to think that it might be true.
pompom

South Saint Paul, MN

#21 Oct 26, 2010
Wonderful story about wonderful people! Thank you so much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor seeks to ease vaccine fears amid Minneso... May 16 zippok 11
Inflatable boat May 10 Meung07 1
Smart dude May 9 Thousands 1
Slumberland OR IKEA Apr 29 Waikiki Vermin 2
News St. Paul / 2 men charged in fatal shooting (Feb '08) Apr 26 Tasha Scott 33
Review: Brentwood Park Townhomes (Mar '12) Nov '16 seandell2006 2
News Police: Man Stabbed Multiple Times In Hopkins; ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Fundies R Mentall... 3

Hopkins Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hopkins Mortgages