St. Paul killer of 90-year-old Hopkin...

St. Paul killer of 90-year-old Hopkins woman gets life in prison

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 17, 2009, titled St. Paul killer of 90-year-old Hopkins woman gets life in prison. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Corey Posley-Wells wore a serious look but showed no emotion as he sat through a somber parade of victim-impact statements from the family and friends of the 90-year-old woman he murdered over a fistful of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sue

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 17, 2009
They should have thrown him out of the courtroom window with a rope around his good for nothing neck.
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Feb 17, 2009
It's not much of a punishment. Life in a Minnesota prison doesn't bother this guy much. It's not hard time, and who knows - it's very possible some liberal judge or parole board will turn him loose early. it's very likely Corey Posley-Wells will kill again - either inside the prison or after he's released, and he will be released. This is why we need the death penalty. The sentence in this case is not just retribution. Prison time does not deter the likes of Corey Posley-Wells. The certain knowledge of execution would have carried a lot more weight. We need the death penalty.

“it takes a lot to laugh...”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 18, 2009
One of his victims was a 66 year old man. He murders a 90 year old woman, that will give him lots of street credibility in the big house!! This is your classic institution man, prison is the only place a puke like this can function. I alway hope there is some other sociopath out there that might pull a Dahmer on losers like this thing!!
OMG

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 18, 2009
It says "The deal will leave him eligible for release in 2052 after he's served 43 years of his sentence."

Sounds like he will have to do the 43 years, the article does not say how old he is, this will slow him down. Too bad he did not get more time for beating up the 66 year old.

Hopefully his family will not get on here saying what a good guy he is.
Da Brain

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 18, 2009
Corey can join the SS in prison. SS stands for " Shived and Shanked ". You just know he will try to bull some old guy thee too but who has nothing to lose by killing him. YUP SS here comes a real punk.
thissucks

Clearwater, MN

#6 Feb 18, 2009
Catch and release Minnesota. I hate to repeat the question asked so often in similar cases but,....WHY WAS THIS POS ON THE STREETS, TO BEGIN WITH? It's easy to see he was "just getting his life turned around." He went from beating and robbing a 66 year old man, to beating, robbing, and murdering a 90 year old woman. There's a turnaround for ya.

We need a 3 strike law in this state, and we need the death penalty. If this guy does the full 43 years, even at todays costs, it'll take over $2 million to keep him locked-up. He ain't worth it.
Charlies

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 18, 2009
Please notify the prison populous that he's coming.
They know what to do...
90 year old woman.... FFS!
Rad Rethuglican

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 18, 2009
Cutting the throat of a 90 year-old woman after he beat her up and robbed her. He didn't have to, even an animal wouldn't have done that, it would have just left after it got what it wanted. How can one have any sympathy for a person committing that kind of crime?

Now, he's playing the God card. I imagine he's going to be invoking God a lot in the future, especially after seeing the video of prison violence that was recently posted. I'm sure those guards will risk it all trying to save Cory from violence in the slammer ... maybe, after the guys slamming him get tired out.
Livin In Harris

North Branch, MN

#9 Feb 18, 2009
The only thing good that came about this case, is it allows the men and women that work as corrections officers to maintain employment. We DO need the death penalty in Minnesota. I guess, all we can hold out for is that this puke gets killed in prison. It also makes ya wonder how many of Corey Posley-Wells family members ( Mom, Dad, Siblings, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins ) are also sucking of the government tit (Welfare, Prison). I'm sure after all, for the Posley - Wells family it isn't a crime, it's a lifestyle!
Danny Boy

Calgary, Canada

#10 Feb 18, 2009
How can anyone NOT be for the death penalty?...we will have to pay to house and feed this scumbag for at least 43 years...do you realize how much money this one inmate is going to cost the taxpayers?..just unbleievable....take him behind the prsion building and put him against a wall....buy a bullet for 25 cents and let it fly...maybe hit the leg first so he can suffer a bit, then splurge, fork over another quarter and put that bullet between his eyes.....money saved....tens of thousands.....peace of mind to victim's family....priceless......
WiLdFaN

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 18, 2009
Rad Rethuglican wrote:
Cutting the throat of a 90 year-old woman after he beat her up and robbed her. He didn't have to, even an animal wouldn't have done that, it would have just left after it got what it wanted. How can one have any sympathy for a person committing that kind of crime?
Now, he's playing the God card. I imagine he's going to be invoking God a lot in the future, especially after seeing the video of prison violence that was recently posted. I'm sure those guards will risk it all trying to save Cory from violence in the slammer ... maybe, after the guys slamming him get tired out.
Couldn't have said it better myself... Nice Job! Hope this POS never makes it out...
Danny Boy

Calgary, Canada

#12 Feb 18, 2009
thissucks wrote:
Catch and release Minnesota. I hate to repeat the question asked so often in similar cases but,....WHY WAS THIS POS ON THE STREETS, TO BEGIN WITH? It's easy to see he was "just getting his life turned around." He went from beating and robbing a 66 year old man, to beating, robbing, and murdering a 90 year old woman. There's a turnaround for ya.
We need a 3 strike law in this state, and we need the death penalty. If this guy does the full 43 years, even at todays costs, it'll take over $2 million to keep him locked-up. He ain't worth it.
3 strike rule my arsee.....2 at the most. Everyone is entilted to make ONE mistkae, 2, well, depending on the crime, you're done, end of story..I guarantee this would help drop crime, at least a little. Why should thugs be concerned about consequences when Minnesota nice apparantly goes to criminals too?....gotta love the justice system....this guy should be the poster child for getting the death penalty....2 million dollars to hosue and feed this "man" for the next 43 years...VERSUS a quarter for one bullet...you do the math....
st cloud connection

Sauk Rapids, MN

#14 Feb 18, 2009
first a 66 y.o. and then a 90 y.o.. so apparently not only is he an animal, but an animal that is so much chicken that he can only go after the elderly. well, i don't suppose he will run up against too many of that type in prison. how will he ever survive when populace realize that they have a black (white meat) chicken among them?! i'm guessing that if he lives the 43 yrs and makes it out, putting him roughly at the age of 71 (being 28 now)that maybe, just maybe justice will meet up with him and he will run into another "chicken" and he will meet with the same end that his victim did. although a lot of time, money and effort could be saved by doing what the other posters have stated .. buying a couple of bullets and exterminating the rabid animal that he so obviously is.
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Feb 18, 2009
OMG wrote:
It says "The deal will leave him eligible for release in 2052 after he's served 43 years of his sentence."
Sounds like he will have to do the 43 years, the article does not say how old he is, this will slow him down. Too bad he did not get more time for beating up the 66 year old.
Hopefully his family will not get on here saying what a good guy he is.
he's 28. He'll be released with plenty of time to kill again. And it is possible he'll be released early. This has happened many more times than you'd think. Just because they're not supposed to be released doesn't mean they can't be. We need the death penalty.
Rad Rethuglican

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 18, 2009
WiLdFaN wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't have said it better myself... Nice Job! Hope this POS never makes it out...
Frankly, I'm kind of sheepish jumping on this obvious bandwagon, but slicing her throat open when she's 90 years old is beyond the pale.

Maybe he should have said "hey, she didn't act a day over 70 while I was knocking her around and robbing her."

My only question is why he did not get life without parole? Was it because the victim wouldn't have lived that much longer regardless? I know it was a plea bargain, but if there is any deterrence factor, this guy should have been made an example of, as how in heck can a 90 year-old woman who goes down the hall to empty her garbage in her own apartment building have thought she was taking any risk? Ugh.
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#18 Feb 18, 2009
This is what you get when you have a nanny state like Mn. If he had to do all his jail time he would of been in jail and she would be alive. Not in Mn nanny state let them out as long as they " say" they will be good. Supervised released well this is what the state of Mn asked for. People and I dont care how old you are, should have a fire arm on them at all times. My mothers 82 and carries a small 22 cal pistol ALL the time. Wise up people it's the land of the NANNY state we live in.
OMG

Rochester, MN

#19 Feb 18, 2009
Rad Rethuglican wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly, I'm kind of sheepish jumping on this obvious bandwagon, but slicing her throat open when she's 90 years old is beyond the pale.
Maybe he should have said "hey, she didn't act a day over 70 while I was knocking her around and robbing her."
My only question is why he did not get life without parole? Was it because the victim wouldn't have lived that much longer regardless? I know it was a plea bargain, but if there is any deterrence factor, this guy should have been made an example of, as how in heck can a 90 year-old woman who goes down the hall to empty her garbage in her own apartment building have thought she was taking any risk? Ugh.
the way my area has changed in the last few years, I have my little persuader right with me when I let the dogs out in the morning.
NoOneButMe

Boise, ID

#20 Feb 18, 2009
And you limpwristed handwringers STILL will not institute Capital Punishment!
Rad Rethuglican

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Feb 18, 2009
No spin zone wrote:
This is what you get when you have a nanny state like Mn. If he had to do all his jail time he would of been in jail and she would be alive. Not in Mn nanny state let them out as long as they " say" they will be good. Supervised released well this is what the state of Mn asked for. People and I dont care how old you are, should have a fire arm on them at all times. My mothers 82 and carries a small 22 cal pistol ALL the time. Wise up people it's the land of the NANNY state we live in.
Always great to see I'm close to being on the same page as the likes of you, but at least I now know why you don't see mom too much ...
Skeptic

United States

#24 Feb 18, 2009
I'm a liberal in many ways, but I'm to the right of Genghis Khan when it comes to violent crime.

If there were an infallible way to determine innocence or guilt, I'd think that the only fit punishment for a crime of this brutality is death by slow torture. I consider 'cruel and unusual' to be relative to the enormity of the crime; a year in prison is cruel and unusual for jaywalking, but would be extremely lenient for first degree murder. The only thing keeping me from advocating torturing this POS is the realization that our justice system is flawed and not infallible.

As for capital punishment, I personally think it would be less cruel than life without parole, especially life in solitary confinement. Even if this loser gets only 43 years, that still seems much more painful than a quick lethal injection. And, besides, when the Aryan Brotherhood finds out this POS slashed the throat of a defenseless old woman, this subhuman waste of skin will know the meaning of suffering...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This IS Hillary Feb 19 Fake news 2
FBI Manipulated by Hillary Feb 10 MAGA by Trump 3
Muslim tryies to burn a University down Jan 25 Shyit whole Hawaii 2
Radical punishment differences Jan 25 Shyit whole Hawaii 1
Support Hmong Jan 25 Shyit whole Hawaii 1
St Paul snow removal Jan '18 Shyit whole Hawaii 1
Edina Residents Jan '18 NorthernMom 1

Hopkins Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance