St. Paul schools hoping to tap into Chinese language boom with Mandarin immersion program

Buried in the fine print of St. Paul's newly published school application materials is a new kindergarten option likely to create some buzz among parents at Saturday's school-choice fair: Chinese immersion. Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
insider

Hastings, MN

#1 Jan 7, 2011
So when they grow up they will have a great time interviewing for a position. St.Paul, you can't even teach english, your graduation rate is a failure, you have little or no disipline in the schools, work on the major problems, circus thats all I can say
bob

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jan 7, 2011
How many more ways can they think of to waste taxpayer dollars???
Australia

Elk River, MN

#4 Jan 7, 2011
In Australia, the prime minister tells all immigrants to learn the language or leave. In St Paul, they come up with all these diversity programs which just destroy the schools and the city. And we wonder why St Paul is going downhill fast.
Truth B Told

United States

#5 Jan 7, 2011
Guess who will sign up? Mostly kids who only speak Chinese. That is how the current Saint Paul Spanish immersion program works. The Latino Consent Decree folks even sued the District and now demand textbooks in Spanish. They do not see immersion as an opportunity to speak another language, but to keep their primary one. Do not confuse this with how Minnetonka does it...truly as a second language program!
Kirbymolly

Carver, MN

#6 Jan 7, 2011
The Chinese didn't even fire a shot. Mexico either.How did this come to be? Maybe one of you progressive types can help me out!
general liggum

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 7, 2011
How about an English immersion program for all the Chinese...and, maybe all the illegals.

Seems an immersion program for math, spelling, english, etc., for our young ones is a better fit..since most can't read or write when the graduate would be a better track.
JAdams

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jan 7, 2011
Big Education figures out another scam to increase their size and scope. These clowns won't be satisfied until they bleed the people who are non government workers dry of everything we own.
Open your eyes people

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 7, 2011
The world is changing. Our children are going to need skills and languages for jobs that don't even exist. I applaud the Saint Paul Public Schools for its forward thinking and student focus.
Thanks Obama

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jan 7, 2011
The way the current administration has borrowed from the Chinese, perhaps everyone should be required to learn the Chinese language. They could call in thier loans and watch America default.

Since: Jun 10

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jan 7, 2011
Truth B Told wrote:
Guess who will sign up? Mostly kids who only speak Chinese. That is how the current Saint Paul Spanish immersion program works. The Latino Consent Decree folks even sued the District and now demand textbooks in Spanish. They do not see immersion as an opportunity to speak another language, but to keep their primary one. Do not confuse this with how Minnetonka does it...truly as a second language program!
Hate to brust your bubble but as an english speaking parent of an adopted chinese child, who also speaks english, my wife and I will consider this school for our daughter. Something about her knowing her Chinese as well as her American culture appeals to us. Imagine that!!!

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jan 7, 2011
JAdams wrote:
Big Education figures out another scam to increase their size and scope. These clowns won't be satisfied until they bleed the people who are non government workers dry of everything we own.
You want to know what the real scam is? The City of St. Pauls refusal to sell closed schools!!! The reason the Ying Wa Academy moved to Minneapolis was because it had outgrown its St. Paul location.

There first choice to relocate was St. Paul but St. Paul does not sell closed school buildings thus across the river they went. So if you want to talk about a scam there it is, the City of St. Paul and Big Education stiffling educational competition

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jan 7, 2011
Open your eyes people wrote:
The world is changing. Our children are going to need skills and languages for jobs that don't even exist. I applaud the Saint Paul Public Schools for its forward thinking and student focus.
I'm glad the district is doing this but don't pat them on the back for it. The reason this opportunity exist is because St. Paul basically forced the Ying Wa academy to relocate to Minneapolis creating this opportunity.

This is nothing more than the results of their "Thug" tactics!
Daytons Personal Bartendr

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jan 7, 2011
Archie wrote:
8 comments, all racist. nice. Consider getting lives, people. And I'd REALLY like to hear you spew your venom in public. Cowards.

Its clear to all rational people that ability to speak english and be strong in core subjects like math, reading, and writing are the predictors of economic success.

If success is racist to you, then you are a liberal, and you would rather have your excuses and name-calling than have immigrant kids succeed and not be dependent on the state all their lives.
Emmers Personal Bartendr

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jan 7, 2011
I've got a much better gig than Dayton's Bartender. I make over $100,000 a year!
Truth B Told

United States

#17 Jan 7, 2011
Archie wrote:
8 comments, all racist. nice. Consider getting lives, people. And I'd REALLY like to hear you spew your venom in public. Cowards.
How is it racist to speak the truth? Have you visited the Spanish immersion school in Saint Paul? A lot of ELL students from the west side/Latino neighhborhoods are bussed there by parent request. They want their kids taught in Spanish, not in English. Reality of an urban district versus a suburban one.

This will draw more students to Saint Paul. Unfortunate part is when the Fed funding goes away in 2015/16. No more immersion. And what happens if the kids do not learn English by middle school? There are no middle or high school immersion programs, just elective classes. In the education world, we say that there is no 'articulation'. All main classes are taught in English in middle/high school. Tough to graduate.

A lot of parents have voiced their opinions at school board meetings, including me. Have you ever attended one? Fell on deaf ears. Urban districts do not always take care of ALL students. We voted with our feet and moved our children to other districts or non-public options.
Truth B Told

United States

#18 Jan 7, 2011
Two Party Failure wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to brust your bubble but as an english speaking parent of an adopted chinese child, who also speaks english, my wife and I will consider this school for our daughter. Something about her knowing her Chinese as well as her American culture appeals to us. Imagine that!!!
Perfect!! I am thrilled that you are utilizing this immersion opportunity for what it SHOULD be used for. Just do not be too surprised by the number of kids who attend school with your daughter who already speak Chinese fluently...but not English.
Lynn

Rochester, MN

#19 Jan 7, 2011
How about a language known as ENGLISH

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jan 7, 2011
Truth B Told wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect!! I am thrilled that you are utilizing this immersion opportunity for what it SHOULD be used for. Just do not be too surprised by the number of kids who attend school with your daughter who already speak Chinese fluently...but not English.
If this were a Hmong immersion school or a Somali Immersion school I'd be more inclined to agree with you but I don't for two rasons. First there are alot of parents like me who have adopted from China and are raising their children to respect both their American and Chinese cultures. Secon I just don't think we have a high enough Chinese population in this area where the kids would only know chinese.
Observer

Prior Lake, MN

#23 Jan 7, 2011
I'm in total agreement that ALL Saint Paul students become proficient in English. (The tests--Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments--to determine eligibility for high school graduation are in English.) That said, proficiency in more than one language is becoming an economic necessity--think global economy, think future career opportunities. Compared with other industrialized nations, the US is down the list of citizens who can speak more than one language.
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Jan 7, 2011
Lynn wrote:
How about a language known as ENGLISH
There are also a number of English immersion schools available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bergdahl to be charged as deserter Wed Billionaire Dayton 1
News Fhima plans comeback with new downtown St. Paul... (Mar '10) Wed yinga yoakam 57
Sara Jane Olson gets TSA PreCheck honor Tue Billionaire Dayton 1
Hawaii Live WEBCAM of Waikiki Mar 24 Billionaire Dayton 2
Condums are like crosswalks Mar 23 Bilionaire Dayton 1
Minneapolis NOT SAFE Mar 19 Billionaire Dayton 1
Obama buys 9 MILLION dollar estate Mar 18 Billionaire Dayton 1
Hopkins Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hopkins People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]