no news in hopewell news

Posted in the Hopewell Forum

patriot

Hopewell, VA

#1 Feb 21, 2012
why is there no news about Hopewell in the Hopewell News paper? there is more news in the Times Dispatch, and Progress Index about Hopewell. the new management at Hopewell News don't have a clue how to run a paper. or are they being controlled by the GOBs? or both? the has-been football player may have a lot to do with it!
No News

Hopewell, VA

#2 Feb 21, 2012
Who?
patriot

Hopewell, VA

#3 Feb 22, 2012
councilor buji.
Billy Bob

Hopewell, VA

#4 Feb 28, 2012
The thing about Hopewell News that annoys me is the lack of correct spelling and grammar. Today's paper had "their" instead of "there." Aren't those basic things we learned in school?
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#5 Feb 28, 2012
Look, with the little idiots that are coming out of school today, what do you expect? No one proof reads anymore, hell, nobody cares. It's the entitlement attitude that the liberal teachers have filled empty minds with. Plus, anyone with a brain hired at Hopewell News gets run out of town. Can't have anyone bucking the GOBs.
Resident

Petersburg, VA

#6 Apr 6, 2012
I love people who comment on newspapers when they have no experience writing or have any background with newspapers. The Hopewell News is a small, community newspaper, of course you cannot judge that paper against the same standards as a daily paper. The Hopewell News has been out and about in the community learning about the residents are reporting stories made by residents. The Hopewell News is not for breaking news or hard news, except on occasion. That is what the other daily papers are for.
And before you go and criticize the paper, perhaps you should ask around town regarding the former management and former staff members. Perhaps that will change your opinion. And you should also take a closer look at the staff on the Progress Index. No current member of the Hopewell News has ever been accused of plagiarizing.
Also, the local government has nothing to do with the newspaper. The next time you form an opinion, please do your research and actually find out how a newspaper is organized.
Piggle Wiggle

Staunton, VA

#7 Apr 7, 2012
There has never been any news in the Hopewell News. LOL NEVER...
payoff

Mount Holly, NC

#8 Apr 7, 2012
Someone got a payoff to stop the news in it. I heard there was a GOB meeting not long before the editor moved to the beach and that girl went to the Progress.
Resident

Richmond, VA

#9 Apr 8, 2012
First of all, if there has never been any news in the Hopewell News then don't read it. That's pretty simple. Second of all, if you have no facts to support you're argument about "the meeting" then it's all rumors.
And again, perhaps you should do your research and actually find out how a newspaper is run and who actually controls the content that goes into the paper. Clearly, you have no clue how that really works.
And finally, do your research and find out why those two individuals left the paper. Let's just say it was not their decision.
In response

Jacksonville, NC

#10 Apr 9, 2012
There is no need to be cryptic, "Resident." Mike Davis asked me to resign and I took a standing offer at a regional grouping of daily papers that was extended a few days before Irene nearly destroyed the Hopewell News building. I didn't take the job then because I couldn't in good conscious tender my resignation while everything was in literal shambles. Because of that standing offer, I was technically unemployed for less than 48 hours, hence being able to hint that I was moving to a coastal community so soon, "Payoff."

Additionally, "Payoff," yes, some of the city's fathers had a meeting with us several weeks before my dismissal because they felt our coverage of Hopewell had been negative over the years. I called the meeting because I am not one to shy away from criticism. I was not offered anything to leave because of that meeting nor do I believe that any subsequent meetings took place with them to make my departure occur. I would be very surprised if they could convince a relative newcomer to ask me to resign. I also would be surprised if anyone involved with the Hopewell News or Hopewell itself could convince a large, California-based corporation into offering me a position. And, yes, my current employer has been apprised of my forced resignation for anyone itching to continue attempting personal attacks.

AS far as the criticism of the paper itself, "Resident" is correct in her description of what the paper should have been and has always been. Their goal is to be your community paper but it was my decision to stake our claim in breaking news and hard news as well. I wanted to prove, much like VCU in the NCAA, that we could compete with the big guys. We didn't always beat the larger papers and TV but when we did, we did. If that is not the direction Elizabeth Farina wants to take, it is her decision. Some of you know that I at least listened to criticism. If being the plucky underdog paper is what you want, the proper thing to do is to call the Mr. Davis and Ms. Farina. Complaints here will not solve anyone's concerns except for, perhaps, my next paragraph.

"Resident," I sincerely hope you aren't who I think you are. Your intimate knowledge of some of the information you placed in your two posts allows one to draw some conclusions. I am not ashamed to admit that I have made inappropriate comments online in the past but this display of unprofessionalism is simply appalling.

Elliott Robinson
(To prove it is me, there is a dent in the newsroom wall from where a forklift struck where the sports editor now sits. That wall was once orange. I personally painted it that color. Some vestiges are near the baseboard moulding.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopewell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISIS Already in U.S. 15 hr nonewhammers 3
Citizens of 7th Congressional District NOW HAVE... 15 hr hummertime 3
Yes There us Taxation without Representation 15 hr no hammer time 4
Wrong Move Dealing with ISIS 15 hr AreYouSaying 3
Obama/Congress Made Wrong Move Dealing with ISIS 15 hr Stewart 3
cherise.... where are you when i need you? 16 hr Tumlin 2
A Factor Not Considered when Dealing with Ebola... 16 hr Boaty 8
Hopewell Dating
Find my Match

Hopewell Jobs