Am I the only one who likes downtown ...

Am I the only one who likes downtown Hopewell?

Posted in the Hopewell Forum

Richmond, VA

#1 Oct 13, 2012
I'm new to these forums, but after some extensive topic-reading it seems to me that I may be one of the few people who likes the downtown area. Sure, it still needs a lot of work and investing millions of dollars in it may not be the best option for the city as it stands, but whether we like it or not the money has already been, and will continue to be, spent on the restoration of the area. Instead of complaining about it and wishing that the money was spent elsewhere, we should be trying to make the best of it. All I see on here is people complaining that Hopewell is dead, downtown is dead, etc. if you have that kind of attitude, then of course it is.

I walk around the downtown area at least once or twice a week and eat there, too. I especially enjoy one of the antique shops there, and the library always seems to have a good number of people in it. I'm even considering starting a business of my own in the area. Not to mention, I find some of the local business owners to be delightful and down-to-earth.

So, I guess my main concern is... why are most of the people on these forums so critical of it? Of course, there is a bit of drug use, etc.(perhaps an understatement, lol), but can you not see the positive aspects of it? Have the people on this board set aside a moment to actually go for a walk or get a bite to eat there, or are you too cynical to give a damn?

Instead of focusing on the negatives all the time, realize what is positive while attempting to correct the bad...
VN Vet

Richmond, VA

#2 Oct 14, 2012
You have a very good attitude, you just don't know the history of the politics of our downtown. We(taxpayers) have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on different studies and consultants to bring downtown up. All have been either thrown out, or swept under the rug by our public officials (backed up by the Good Ol' Boys "GOBs". The GOBs want the status quo so they can keep their power. For a time, it looked like progress was going to happen. Then, we got stuck with an ethanol plant that MOST people did NOT want. Investors quickly got scared and backed out of all projects in the area. I wish you would start a business downtown, just be careful of the politics and the smiling faces saying that they want to help, they may stab you in the back. First, go to a city council meeting or two, and see what a JOKE most of these clowns are(and the city manager). Good luck my friend, and have a nice day.
black hat

Powder Springs, GA

#3 Oct 15, 2012
you must be the man with the white beard that wears a black stocking cap and black coat every day of the year and polices the same two blocks... LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopewell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary, Respect the Constitution and Step Down... 2 hr let it die 2
Hey Christina, how do you like me now ! (Oct '15) 3 hr let it die 71
Automation Can Stop Bringing Jobs Back or Incre... Tue ConcernedCitizen 1
Gay black teen snapchats Mon Kenny 1
"Luxury apartments just minutes away from all t... Oct 22 let it die 1
Why would anyone want to live in Hopewell? Oct 21 VN Vet 10
Crazie Overstock had Police Tape outside it Thu... Oct 21 bibby 3

Hopewell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance