New Police Chief
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
new police chief

Hopewell, VA

#1 Jan 13, 2011
are Hopewell leaders going to screw it up yet again?? How many times are they going to do a "search" for new chief that is not from here, does not know the city or the residents only to screw everything up more and then leave or be forced to???
PROMOTE FROM WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT OR CITY!!! How about Ellis????
Valor

Harrisonburg, VA

#2 Jan 13, 2011
Here we go again - Let's try and turn this chaos around! What's wrong with Duke??? As far as I know he has the respect of all the officers and a working knowledge of the departments and the city! Stay the hell away from Michigan...we've had two that are totally useless. Now the question is how long will it take Daley to find a suitable replacement, a month, 6 months, a year, yeah I believe that is the game they are playing. Daley should have been out as well, they are covering for each other and as long as it LOOKS like something is being done, then everybody sits back and feels all warm and fuzzy, it's a sham, if he really and truly resigned then put his butt on a plane and send him North just like Marks!!!! Just a side note Wayne Walton you let your City down, you turned your back on the fine officers and citizens of this City - you ought to be ashamed. All you had to do was vote YES!!!! My guess is you won't be re-elected, I know I won't vote for you (yes I am in your ward) and if I can I will make sure no one else votes you back in either. As soon as my house sells I will be so out of this City, I feel sorry for those who still have pride and work hard to make this a better City, I'm sorry to all of you who are at the mercy of people like Daley and the Chief. Poof they need to be gone.
new police chief

Hopewell, VA

#3 Jan 13, 2011
Nothing is wrong with Duke, or Sodat, or Barefoot or any of the others that have come up thru the ranks and KNOW this city and the inner workings of the Dept.

FIX IT FAST
Wondering

Petersburg, VA

#4 Jan 13, 2011
Wondering if the next chief will hold the rank of 4 Star General?
cant waste money

United States

#5 Jan 13, 2011
The city will not promote from within because then they can not waste money on a consulting firm. What's another $150,000 when it's not your money.

City council needs to decide what they want from a Police Chief. They always use the excuse that they do not want to promote from within because they want changes in the Department. What was wrong with James Stanley? Most of the Officer's liked him and those that did not probably needed to go anyway. HPD had great morale when he was there and he was making progress within the department. He was not from Hopewell but he was from the area not another state. The only problem he had was Nino and Nino is gone.

The point is that if they do not want to promote from within at least hire someone from this area.

This Chief business has been going on for 5 years and thousands of dollars. Stop wasting money on consulting firms that apparently do no good. These firms brought us Martin and Daley plus others.

Daley needs to go also. Resign be fired whatever makes no difference to me, just go. Waynesboro is glad he no longer works in their city.

Get off of your lazy behinds City Council and do your jobs. Stop wasting our money paying someone else to do the job for you. If you would like you can pay me $150,000 to find your Chief.
Stupidity in Hopewell

Hopewell, VA

#6 Jan 13, 2011
First, why are we paying for two (2) law enforcement departments in the first place. Granted, both depts are extremely corrupt and most unprofessional. Get the Sherriff to stop wasting time doing speed enforcement on the .8 mile of I-295 that just so happens to touch the city line and put those deputies on patrolling the city AND then eliminate the city police. Let the citizens decide who is to lead Law Enforcement in the city via the vote. Cities, including Hopewell, are strapped for cash and we can't continue accepting higher and higher tax bills to support two agencies. If one dept works well in most other counties in VA, then it will work here in this small town! We need to use common sense here.
Voice of Reality

Colonial Heights, VA

#7 Jan 14, 2011
There are problems with what ever way you hire a Police Chief, if you hire from within most of the longer term officers will know all of the prior problems or issues of stupidity that the new chief would have been involved with and that will present some problems. If you hire from another state, you are right, there will be an adjustment period and much change (after all that is one of the main reasons he was brought in to do). The other issue with the outside chief is that most have a shelf life of about 3 to 5 years before their changes happen to land on the toes of people of power in the city. If you hire from a close department, such as Petersburg did, the new chief will be tempted to bring in trusted people from his former department and make it "Richmond South" as has the command structure of Petersburg has become. Hopewell is in a rather bad situation as the somewhat fast turn over in chiefs and the less than ideal culture and atmosphere of the town has made it less than attractive for really top line canidates to be attracted to.

Hopewell is Hopewell, always has been always will be. Nobody is really proud to live in Hopewell and many, if not most, are marking time until they can move to one of the counties.
Advice from Chief Martin

United States

#8 Jan 14, 2011
The parting police chief also has advice for whoever will follow in his footsteps.

"He will have to know this community, and he has to know how it wants to be policed," he said. "He has to know how to merge the talents in this organization, and he needs a plan and a vision that the department and the community mutually agree on."

He sais this In the progress Index, City leaders are you listening to the man you praise??? Stop looking outside the City!!!!!!!!
Martin isnt really gone

Colonial Heights, VA

#9 Jan 14, 2011
Who resigns but doesn't give a time frame? He has no interest here anymore- do we really want him in command. It looks like this is all a cover to protect Daley so he didn't have to fire him. Quitting before getting fired should be immediate- not 6 months or more. God only knows what he is going to do now to take revenge out on those who opposed him. City Council needs to do something to the City Manager, NOW!

And not to mention- how much money will they waste on a consulting firm to hire someone. Are they that stupid that the city cannot do it themselves? Daley is a failure.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#10 Jan 14, 2011
I totally agree with (martin isnt really gone) No time frame when resignation takes place.

THIS FROM THE Progress-Index:
"For now, Martin said he is open to new professional opportunities. He won't rule out that he might move back to Saginaw, Mich., where his wife still has a career. And Martin said that he will miss Hopewell."

We are going to continue to pay his salary while he looks for another job. How effective is he going to be as a manager while he is looking for another job.

This "resignation" is all smoke and mirrors so that Daley did not have to fire Martin. Since Martin does not want to give a time frame for his resignation then City Council should.

City Council should appoint an Interim Chief and tell Martin Good Bye.

Let's stop wasting money on consulting firms. Do the work yourself for a change and take responsibility. Is City Council so inept that they cannot do the job? If so then they should resign themselves.

Mr. Daley, you should do yourself and the City of Hopewell a favor and resign right along with your puppet Martin. The both of you have done more harm than good to the city. You are part of the problem not part of the solution.
Dear Chief Martin

United States

#11 Jan 14, 2011
Dear Chief Martin,

Please set the record straight. I do not know if you said it or the Progress-Index did.

In todays Progress-Index the following quote appeared:
Martin instituted changes such as installing a security camera system, creating a bar-coding data base for all evidence and converting a large break room into an expansion of the evidence room. Also, access to the evidence room is now restricted.

If memory serves me correctly it was Interim Chief Stanley that did the above well before you were appointed Chief. Please do not take credit for something that you had nothing to do with.

People's memory's are not as bad as most politicians think they are, and yes Chief of Police is an political office, even if they are not elected.

Take responsibility for what you have and have not done.
Martin isnt really gone

Colonial Heights, VA

#12 Jan 14, 2011
He obviously does not have any qualms about making stuff up.
z2wind

Chester, VA

#13 Jan 14, 2011
the hoover vacuum is in full force you can here and feel the suction coming from managements office area
No Duke

Midlothian, VA

#14 Jan 14, 2011
Retired Lt. Col Andy Scruggs (Chesterfield Police Department). Retired as Dep. Chief after thirty years of service. Served as Interm Chief, Head of General Investigations, Homicide, Narcotics, Special Investigations. Life long resident of the area. There is no dirt or downside. Masters Degree.
No Duke

Midlothian, VA

#15 Jan 14, 2011
Oh and I forgot to add....... Jim Stanley supporters ask him, I bet he would reccommend Scruggs.
Uptight

Newport News, VA

#16 Jan 14, 2011
Stupidity in Hopewell wrote:
First, why are we paying for two (2) law enforcement departments in the first place. Granted, both depts are extremely corrupt and most unprofessional. Get the Sherriff to stop wasting time doing speed enforcement on the .8 mile of I-295 that just so happens to touch the city line and put those deputies on patrolling the city AND then eliminate the city police. Let the citizens decide who is to lead Law Enforcement in the city via the vote. Cities, including Hopewell, are strapped for cash and we can't continue accepting higher and higher tax bills to support two agencies. If one dept works well in most other counties in VA, then it will work here in this small town! We need to use common sense here.
You certainly got your name right. Your comments reflect just how stupid you are!!
Just the Facts

Hopewell, VA

#17 Jan 14, 2011
Uptight wrote:
<quoted text>You certainly got your name right. Your comments reflect just how stupid you are!!
Actually, you idiot from AZ, "Stupidity in Hopewell's comments are not only very insightful, but correct. What would you know being out there in AZ. You have your own idiot running the Sheriff's Office in Maricopa County = the Grand Idiot Arpaio that is. So why don't you shut up and clean up your own house there in AZ!!
ISP addresses

Petersburg, VA

#18 Jan 14, 2011
Just the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you idiot from AZ, "Stupidity in Hopewell's comments are not only very insightful, but correct. What would you know being out there in AZ. You have your own idiot running the Sheriff's Office in Maricopa County = the Grand Idiot Arpaio that is. So why don't you shut up and clean up your own house there in AZ!!
I guess you missed all the posts regarding poster's location. Just because it says "AZ", it doesn't mean the poster is in AZ. Mine happens to say United States today, but at other times I have been all around the country, including Canada, courtesy of my ISP location....and I never had to leave the Commonwealth!
z2wind

Chester, VA

#19 Jan 14, 2011
just the facts you and stupidity in hopewell proved that both of you are just that STUPID!!!!!!!!!!
go duke

Chester, VA

#20 Jan 14, 2011
Duke Ellis would make a great Chief

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopewell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legal Action You Can Take to Deal with Sanctuar... 13 hr ConcernedCitizen 1
Is War Beteen Russia and U. S. Imminent? 14 hr Cry libbies CRY 8
15th St Cafe closed 14 hr Outoftowner 1
News Boppers Mystery Deepens Jan 16 Wow Really 2
Reasons to Oppose Balanced Budget Amendment Jan 15 Dominique Millstone 2
Abolishing the Fed has its Problems Jan 12 zersetzung 2
New and "Improved" City Council Jan 5 Bystander 2

Hopewell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance