Increase in burglaries in Hopewell

Jan 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC12

HOPEWELL, VA - Criminals are kicking-in doors to steal electronics and other items from homes in Hopewell.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Feb 25, 2012
2004 hopewell graduate

Gulfport, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 28, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Residents are going to start owning more guns so when someone knocks down a door and shoots the robber in the face, prob some guys in their 20's, then you'll see people posting the robbers name on their Facebook wall saying how good of a guy he was and how the good die young... Pathetic, hopewell was a good city not to long ago, parents really need to step in no matter how old ur kids get, otherwise ur looking at a funeral over an attempted stolen tv. Is it really worth it??
beth

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

This is awlful really. too much break ins etc.everyone should have a gun, as how can you protect yourself if you don't. the police say they cant be everywhere, which is true, so you have a small city here going crazy.if it was ny or philly i could understand the crime, but this is a small place and yet they cant get their city under control.
mojo

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 30, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

Maybe if Hopewell would get the Sheriff Department to focus on helping the police department to patrol the neighborhoods and protect the citizens, rather that sitting out on I295 they could have more of a police present in the city and protect the citizens for which they were hired.
dee

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

i agree with you mojo. they just care about giving tickets, while people out are dying. stores being robbed, people being shot.

Since: Oct 11

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

mojo wrote:
Maybe if Hopewell would get the Sheriff Department to focus on helping the police department to patrol the neighborhoods and protect the citizens, rather that sitting out on I295 they could have more of a police present in the city and protect the citizens for which they were hired.
The Hopewell police are just as scared of the criminal element in Hopewell as anyone else. I've seen it myself. I was once across the street from Thomas Ruffis court, and a ghetto reject from across the street came out and fired a handgun into the air at the same time that one of Hopewell's finest drove by. I will remember always watching the cruiser slow down a little, the cop looked that way ( I know he saw/heard it because he was within sight of it), then he drove off.

I remember another incident at a gas station on 36 where another ghetto thug was filling up at one of the pumps, stereo blasting as loud as it goes, drinking a 40 in plain view. Another cop in view of it, another cop drives off.

I guess it's a lot less dangerous enforcing speed traps.
new blood

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

maybe if the new police chief held his officers accountable, criminals wouldnt feel like they had the run of the City. Kohoene is just another one who likes to talk with NOTHING to back it up!
dee

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

police in hopewell dont care. they are going to ignore it as they dont want to get shot at or get killed. they figure let them all kill each other.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

If the judges would get tough, the cops would too. If they arrest a criminal, the GOB judges let them off with a slap on the wrist 'cause their renters would go to jail. See what I mean?
Same Ol Same Ol

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

VN Vet wrote:
If the judges would get tough, the cops would too. If they arrest a criminal, the GOB judges let them off with a slap on the wrist 'cause their renters would go to jail. See what I mean?
VN Vet is correct in his statement. It must get frustrating for the Hopewell Police to arrest the same people over and over again, just so the Judges can smack their hand and let them go. The Judges in Hopewell are very Liberal and like to "Hold Time" over people’s heads.
Some of these Individuals started out in the Juvenile system and have successfully graduated to the adult system. Now that they are in the adult system they get to start completely over, since Juvenile records cannot be used against them (In most cases).
Hopewell's Court System is a revolving door of justice. In the front door out the back with a wink and a nod. Most Bench Trials are a "show" for the public. The outcome of the case has already been decided in the Judge’s chambers. Meeting between the Lawyers (Ex Parte and non Ex-parte) happen and the decision is made.
So VN Vet is correct in that if the Judges cared more about Justice then their wallets, the PD would care more.
Same Ol Same Ol

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Your Greasy Greasy Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hopewell police are just as scared of the criminal element in Hopewell as anyone else. I've seen it myself. I was once across the street from Thomas Ruffis court, and a ghetto reject from across the street came out and fired a handgun into the air at the same time that one of Hopewell's finest drove by. I will remember always watching the cruiser slow down a little, the cop looked that way ( I know he saw/heard it because he was within sight of it), then he drove off.
I remember another incident at a gas station on 36 where another ghetto thug was filling up at one of the pumps, stereo blasting as loud as it goes, drinking a 40 in plain view. Another cop in view of it, another cop drives off.
I guess it's a lot less dangerous enforcing speed traps.
I am so glad that you KNOW what the Officer saw or heard. It must be such a burden for you to KNOW what was going on in that cruiser and with the Officer's in question.

Could it be that the Officer Driving down the street thought he heard something slowed and looked but did not see or hear anything? Maybe Dispatch called him on the Radio in reference to a call and since he/she did not hear/see anything they went to the call. Who knows, you maybe absolutely correct in your statement (You may not). The point is you do not KNOW what the Officer saw or heard.

It is easy for you to sit at your computer and point fingers at what you think is going on. Do a ride along with the HPD; see what they are dealing with. Get to know them.

Are there some that should not be in uniform or Law Enforcement? Sure, that is true of any profession. Hopewell has some good Officer's, let us not forget that.
Same Ol Same Ol

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

mojo wrote:
Maybe if Hopewell would get the Sheriff Department to focus on helping the police department to patrol the neighborhoods and protect the citizens, rather that sitting out on I295 they could have more of a police present in the city and protect the citizens for which they were hired.
Sorry mojo, but those Deputies were hired to write tickets on I295. This "Project" was started to bring in more revenue to the City's coffers. Protecting the citizens of Hopewell has nothing to do with it.

So as you see those Deputies are doing what they were hired to do. They will back the HPD if asked to do so. At this point I see neither change in the Sheriff’s policy nor the Cities in regards to the I295 project.

The Sheriff now has a K-9 Team that runs Radar on I295. I see no decrease but an increase of this project in the future. For you see when the City is receiving 100's of thousands of dollars from this "Project" they will not put a stop to it.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 11, 2012
 
One must remember that ALL the judges in Hopewell own rental property. If the "bad guys" go to jail, they can't pay rent to their slum-lords( and we wouldn't want those judges to go broke now would we?). As for "Project I295, the city is banking on that $2million from it. The city is broke otherwise and the mayor can't blow big bucks without it. Do you ever wonder why no one gets a wreckless driving ticket for more than 20 mph over, on I295? A hint, the driver HAS TO COME TO COURT!!!!!!!!, not just pay the fine.
not a chitlin

Moneta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 12, 2012
 
Hopefully the "castle doctrine" will eliminate the low life scum committing the burglaries. It's a win win win.......... reduce scum= reduced welfare= reduced incarceration costs= more resources for honest people that deserve it.

Since: Oct 11

Providence Forge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 13, 2012
 
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so glad that you KNOW what the Officer saw or heard. It must be such a burden for you to KNOW what was going on in that cruiser and with the Officer's in question.
Could it be that the Officer Driving down the street thought he heard something slowed and looked but did not see or hear anything? Maybe Dispatch called him on the Radio in reference to a call and since he/she did not hear/see anything they went to the call. Who knows, you maybe absolutely correct in your statement (You may not). The point is you do not KNOW what the Officer saw or heard.
It is easy for you to sit at your computer and point fingers at what you think is going on. Do a ride along with the HPD; see what they are dealing with. Get to know them.
Are there some that should not be in uniform or Law Enforcement? Sure, that is true of any profession. Hopewell has some good Officer's, let us not forget that.
If I'm looking at someone looking at something, then yes, I know what he saw.
maddie

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 25, 2012
 
Your Greasy Greasy Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hopewell police are just as scared of the criminal element in Hopewell as anyone else. I've seen it myself. I was once across the street from Thomas Ruffis court, and a ghetto reject from across the street came out and fired a handgun into the air at the same time that one of Hopewell's finest drove by. I will remember always watching the cruiser slow down a little, the cop looked that way ( I know he saw/heard it because he was within sight of it), then he drove off.
I remember another incident at a gas station on 36 where another ghetto thug was filling up at one of the pumps, stereo blasting as loud as it goes, drinking a 40 in plain view. Another cop in view of it, another cop drives off.
I guess it's a lot less dangerous enforcing speed traps.
yep the police are playing it safe and just letting homes be robbed etc. they are really no help at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Hopewell Forum right now

Search the Hopewell Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kenny Amos not licensed or insured / poor workm... 34 min Buddy Mitchell 1
Kenny Amos not licensed or insured / Poor workm... 38 min Buddy Mitchell 1
Buddy Mitchell is a LIAR 44 min Buddy Mitchell 13
Kenny Amos loses $4877 judgment for poor workma... 52 min Buddy Mitchell 2
Calico female 18 hr Lena 6
Yolanda Stokes is a Whack Job! (Apr '10) Jul 20 pathetic 36
the old crystal lake (Mar '09) Jul 16 Connie 5
•••

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Hopewell County was issued at July 24 at 5:09PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hopewell Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hopewell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hopewell News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hopewell
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••