City Council OKs $4.1 Beacon renovation

Posted in the Hopewell Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#1 Apr 15, 2012
Another great example of our clueless city council. Here is a link to the article: http://progress-index.com/news/city-council-o... .

What is it going to take for the citizens of Hopewell to wake up. What a waste of money. It is clear that our City Council is clueless and does not care. They are bound and determined to renovate the Beacon. It does not matter that the citizens are against this.

Who is going to benefit from the Beacon Theater? Will people and Businesses come to Downtown Hopewell because of the Beacon? Could this money have been put to better use? With the expansion of Fort Lee why are we not concentrating on building up the Route 36 I-295 area?

Where do you think city council plans on getting the cash for the renovation of the Beacon? This from the article in the Progress-Index: "Councilor Michael Bujakowski, who voted for the PPEA agreement, promised that the city will not raise taxes to pay for the Beacon project. "We will pay cash for this," he said. The city wants to tap into a savings fund mainly generated by fining speeders on Hopewell's two-mile strip of Interstate 295." The I-295 project is all about safety and has nothing to do with money, yea right. I guess now we know it is the Beacon Theater renovation fund not the I-295 project.

So city council promises that they will not raise taxes to fund the Beacon renovation, but raises taxes to fund the renovation of the High School. Really? What is more important, a Theater no one wants or will use or the education of our children? City council could have given 4.1 Million Dollars to renovate the High School and not raise taxes.

The only 2 council members that appear to have any sense about them are Walton and Shornack. They at least listen to people and vote what their constituents say not the opposite.

Citizens of Hopewell, take your city back. Get rid of these council members that cannot see anything west of the Beacon Theater and Downtown. Hopewell is rapidly getting worse. The crime rate is way up. Businesses are leaving. Residences are leaving. Home ownership is below 50%. For the most part this is the same city council that brought us a failed Bio fuels plant and cost the city Millions of dollars.

We need forward thinking people on city council not people looking back at the glory days of the Beacon Theater. Hopewell's future does not and cannot depend on the Beacon and second hand shops of down town.
who cares

United States

#2 Apr 15, 2012
No one cares. Hopewell is a dump and always will be a dump. Unless an outsider with $$$$$ comes in and ignores the backdoor council who runs the public council and the judges Hopewell will remain a dump. Superman couldn't save Hopewell right now. Move cause everyone else is.
lll

AOL

#3 Apr 15, 2012
we need to have a recall election against throws four council members.-
who cares

United States

#4 Apr 15, 2012
lll wrote:
You need to get a grip and review the VA Code and City Code then recall yourself. Just leave if you don't like living in a dump run by a bunch of crooks.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#5 Apr 15, 2012
lll wrote:
No their terms are just about over. Vote for change in the next election.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#6 Apr 15, 2012
who cares wrote:
No one cares. Hopewell is a dump and always will be a dump. Unless an outsider with $$$$$ comes in and ignores the backdoor council who runs the public council and the judges Hopewell will remain a dump. Superman couldn't save Hopewell right now. Move cause everyone else is.
You do have a point about the backdoor council. It is the un elected council that runs things. We need to make sure that the next council members are not backed by them and have the best interest of Hopewell in mind. Not the interest of the un elected council.

I am however glad to see that you are putting our Library to use. Must be the only place you have internet access. Hopewell may be a dump in your mind, but I am sure you do nothing to help that. Nice attitude you have. Go Troll somewhere else and let the adults talk now.
who cares

United States

#7 Apr 15, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
<quoted text>
You do have a point about the backdoor council. It is the un elected council that runs things. We need to make sure that the next council members are not backed by them and have the best interest of Hopewell in mind. Not the interest of the un elected council.
I am however glad to see that you are putting our Library to use. Must be the only place you have internet access. Hopewell may be a dump in your mind, but I am sure you do nothing to help that. Nice attitude you have. Go Troll somewhere else and let the adults talk now.
So tell tell what your self rightous actions have been to "save" Hopewell from the same ol same ol day to day destruction. When was the last time you stood before the corrupt officals and told them you liked what they did? Tell us all you have done to stop the drug dealers on every corner, the ladies of the evening and scum that all you adults whisper about behind closed doors. Tell tell
Who Cares

United States

#8 Apr 15, 2012
This is funny! I make a few post on another forum with the name "who cares", and now someone else is using it. Try to read some books while you're in the library. You grammar is atrocious! If you're going to use my name, at least sound like you have some form of education.
Who Cares

United States

#9 Apr 15, 2012
By the way, before people start bashing me, the statement "You grammar is atrocious" was written with sarcasm. I thought it was "punny".
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#10 Apr 15, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
This is funny! I make a few post on another forum with the name "who cares", and now someone else is using it. Try to read some books while you're in the library. You grammar is atrocious! If you're going to use my name, at least sound like you have some form of education.
I knew it was not the same person..lol
Who Cares

United States

#11 Apr 15, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol. Lol. Thanks! Now the adults can talk!
who cares

United States

#12 Apr 15, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
Same Ol Same Ol. Lol. Thanks! Now the adults can talk!
redicul all you want. What have you done? Nothing or you wouldn't pick on some one who didn't finish school. Sorry I ain't as smart as you.
Who Cares

United States

#13 Apr 15, 2012
The word is "ridicule". Please for the love of god, read a few books in the library! Also, it is "someone". Just trying to be helpful and make you a better person. Try taking a G.E.D. class.
Who Cares

United States

#14 Apr 15, 2012
I finished school! I also have a college degree. Hope that answers your question about what I have done.
Wondering

Petersburg, VA

#15 Apr 15, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
<quoted text>
No their terms are just about over. Vote for change in the next election.
I believe that only 2 of the "4" are up for re-election during the next election. We have to wait another 2+ years to vote the other two out.

Oh, and who is the Judge that is going to decide Curtis Harris's replacement?
Who Cares

United States

#16 Apr 15, 2012
Now, to discuss the topic of this forum. I read the article in the Progress Index. It appears that the person who used my screen name might be better educated than those on the counsel. What are they thinking? This is the dumbest idea that I have ever heard, besides Obama Care. That money should be held in reserve to cover budget short falls. Here is a novel idea, take that money and develop a retail shopping area or even a professional business complex. Then the city would receive the rent and create jobs. It appears the people of Hopewell may not have to worry about the counsel in the future. With spending habits and the developing aspects of the city, it would appear that bankruptcy is in the future. If the city looses it's charter because of the lack of money to sustain itself, y'all will become citizens of Prince George County. Once again, the previous statement about the city charter was written with humor. I am not well versed in the aspects of annexation. So keep that in mind when bashing my statements.
GI Joe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#17 Apr 16, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
I finished school! I also have a college degree. Hope that answers your question about what I have done.
Look out people! We have a learned scholar in the house. One whole college degree. Let's hope we can keep up as they tell us how to fix Hopewell.
GI Joe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#18 Apr 16, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
By the way, before people start bashing me, the statement "You grammar is atrocious" was written with sarcasm. I thought it was "punny".
BTW, if you have to explain it, it's not "punny."
Welcome to the interwebs.
Who Cares

United States

#20 Apr 16, 2012
GI Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Look out people! We have a learned scholar in the house. One whole college degree. Let's hope we can keep up as they tell us how to fix Hopewell.
It appears y'all are doing a great job of "fixing" Hopewell. Let's see, Bio Diesel factory, Hopewell Builder Supply, Quick Lunch, the pending layoffs at Cogentric, Broyhill Ford, and the list of closed businesses goes on and on. So, like I said, to spend this money on a project like this is stupid. Also, to answer your statement about one whole degree, I only count my Master's.
Who Cares

United States

#21 Apr 16, 2012
GI Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, if you have to explain it, it's not "punny."
Welcome to the interwebs.
Thanks for welcoming me "Spoon". So, are you still on active duty pulling KP, or are you retired from the Army's kitchen brigade?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopewell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officers Work 84 Hours 11 hr OGbobbyJ 5
Gay and independent 15 hr Denny 1
Justice for Patty the pitbull Fri Colorado outsider 1
Tickets on 295, over $150,000.00 per month, 100... (Apr '11) Mar '17 Too fast eddie 48
News Boppers Mystery Deepens Jan '17 let it die 4
15th St Cafe closed Jan '17 Outoftowner 1
Why did the greedy spoon close? Nov '16 bunch of losers 2

Hopewell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hopewell Mortgages