Allegation: Channahon plant polluting

Allegation: Channahon plant polluting

There are 14 comments on the Herald News story from Mar 31, 2008, titled Allegation: Channahon plant polluting. In it, Herald News reports that:

State environmental experts have filed a lawsuit accusing the BP Amoco chemical plant in Channahon of polluting the air. via Herald News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Herald News.

CONCERNED RESIDENT

Addison, IL

#1 Apr 11, 2008
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN TERMS OF QUALITY OF LIFE IN THIS AREA?? PROPERTY VALUE AND AND THE OVERALL WELL BEING OF THE COMMUNITY....NOTHING GOOG I CAN IMAGINE
ChannAngel

Morris, IL

#2 Aug 2, 2010
We had moved here to Channahon in April 2006. One evening that summer, the weather was on TV and the forecaster described a beautiful summer night, so I turned off the central air and began opening windows...they were shut again almost as fast. The air was fetid, filled with a smell that can only be described as rotten eggs farting after consuming Taco Bell. I called the non-emergency police number and asked "WHAT is that smell??" The operator told me that it must be coming from one of the plants and that whenever we smell that odor, we should call the IEPA (Illinois Environmental Protection Agency) and report it......1-888-372-1996 or, you can fill out a Citizen Pollution Complaint at: http://www.epa.state.il.us/pollution-complain...

I've reported that smell numerous times since then, as have many of my neighbors....but guess what? The plants are all still up and running, stinking up our air regularly. Maybe they just need MORE complaints, so everybody.....do your civic duty!!
ChannAngel

Morris, IL

#3 Aug 2, 2010
CONCERNED RESIDENT wrote:
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN TERMS OF QUALITY OF LIFE IN THIS AREA?? PROPERTY VALUE AND AND THE OVERALL WELL BEING OF THE COMMUNITY....NOTHING GOOG I CAN IMAGINE
You'll have to research it. Are there more concentrated instances of specific cancers, pulmonary diseases, infections, disfigurations, retardations, etc. in Channahon as a whole? How about just in the residences near the plants?

in 1986, Congress passed the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA), a major advance in the right-to-know movement.

Here's the 2008 TRI Report for Channahon, IL:

http://www.rtknet.org/db/tri/tri.php...

I'm not a scientist, never even took Chemistry in School, so I don't fully understand the report, however, the pie chart indicating the amount of air pollution in Channahon due to the various chemical plants around here seems pretty self-explanatory.

The CDC released the Fourth National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals, a comprehensive assessment of the exposure of the U.S. population to 212 chemicals, 75 of which have never been measured previously in the blood and urine of the U.S. population. The blood and urine samples were collected from participants in the CDC's National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which samples the U.S. population every two years.(here's the report): http://www.cdc.gov/ExposureReport/pdf/FourthR...

Ever see the Movie "Erin Brockovich"? If not, watch it....it sure opened my eyes!
Common Sense

Seneca, IL

#4 Aug 3, 2010
Channahon has had air problems for the last 10 years, just ask the refinery down by the river. Also insulation makers in the area blow out fiberglass particles at night you can see them if you set up a piece of clean glass and look at it after a few days using a magnifying glass.Can you say lung cancer?
ChannAngel

Morris, IL

#5 Aug 4, 2010
Common Sense wrote:
Channahon has had air problems for the last 10 years, just ask the refinery down by the river. Also insulation makers in the area blow out fiberglass particles at night you can see them if you set up a piece of clean glass and look at it after a few days using a magnifying glass.Can you say lung cancer?
Whoa. I didn't know about the insulation makers. You'd think we'd get a break on property taxes since the county allows these manufacturers to slowly kill us and all......
indifferent

Mount Prospect, IL

#6 Aug 4, 2010
the rotten egg smell is from the high levels of sulfur in the water in Channahon, people who still have wells have the most horrible smelling & tasting water in Channahon. Charcoal filters help but nothing can clear the smell completely...call your water department, they can explain it better
Truth

Seneca, IL

#7 Aug 5, 2010
ChannAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa. I didn't know about the insulation makers. You'd think we'd get a break on property taxes since the county allows these manufacturers to slowly kill us and all......
Oh their there right down route 6 toward Joliet.I have taken the time to photograph the particles with a dark field microscope and send it in to the EPA, Nothing happened, they are there to protect the polluter not the people.

It's time to clean house in November. Incumbents must go.Principles over politics.JMO.
Truth

Seneca, IL

#8 Aug 5, 2010
indifferent wrote:
the rotten egg smell is from the high levels of sulfur in the water in Channahon, people who still have wells have the most horrible smelling & tasting water in Channahon. Charcoal filters help but nothing can clear the smell completely...call your water department, they can explain it better
That is not true, we have well water and it is perfect with the use of a proper filter, not a trace of smell. Reverse osmosis or air injection works very well. And we don't have the thousands of dollars going out yearly for something that is God given. It costs me about $25.00 dollars a year, what do you pay for "water". You sound like a big city slicker? I also have a septic system that has cost me nothing for 25 Plus years,what is your city cost for sewage removal yearly. City mentality.

The deep wells in Channahon also have it, it is treated as well, where necessary.
indifferent

Mount Prospect, IL

#9 Aug 5, 2010
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not true, we have well water and it is perfect with the use of a proper filter, not a trace of smell. Reverse osmosis or air injection works very well. And we don't have the thousands of dollars going out yearly for something that is God given. It costs me about $25.00 dollars a year, what do you pay for "water". You sound like a big city slicker? I also have a septic system that has cost me nothing for 25 Plus years,what is your city cost for sewage removal yearly. City mentality.
The deep wells in Channahon also have it, it is treated as well, where necessary.
I'm sure I said something about using a filter helping. I never claimed to be an expert; even suggested the water department could help further. I only speak from experience with a couple of families in Channahon that happen to be on wells and the reports from my kids that water at the parks and Arrowhead Community Center tastes like rotten eggs. I, myself, was raised on a well not far from here and never had that odor either. I happened to ask a water treatment worker (who is also a long time resident on a well) about the smell and that is the explanation I was given.

I find it sad that anytime someone offers advice on here someone else has to turn on the offensive and attack. I merely offered the explanation that I have received. If you have lived here for 25 years I'm sure you wouldn't notice a smell in your water, you would be used to it by now if indeed there was any at all. I'm sure you know what making assumptions amounts to...ass u me...I have never been a "city slicker" nor do I ever intent to be. I do, however, have to pay for my water now and am not pleased at all about what it costs me but that does not make me rich or arrogant or whatever else you implied.
indifferent

Mount Prospect, IL

#10 Aug 5, 2010
obviously someone else has smelled it besides me, I didn't start this thread
Truth

Seneca, IL

#11 Aug 7, 2010
"quote...people who still have wells have the most horrible smelling & tasting water in Channahon"

Passing hear say makes an ass out of you and the one you listened to.

That is how this society continues to get more screwed up. It's like the liberals and independents that voter for our leader in the white house, who promised them "hope and change" what a joke that was.

Facts refute hearsay. I am sorry for biting at you.

It was a long day.
Kristin

Chicago, IL

#12 Aug 21, 2010
We used to live in Channahon, Illinois for my entire life. We lived in Leland Hills, and there are over nine cases of cancer just on Joseph Avenue alone including my mother, and my grandmother who passed away in 2000. The air is horrible, and the water is really bad especially to drink. I do not understand how everywhere else in Channahon has city water on the opposite side of Interstate 55. Plus Joe Cook knows of these problems, and will do nothing to help us out. I think if anyone wants to join this lawsuit should because nobody should have to live in these conditions. If anyone needs any information on who to contact to join just write an email to crazychikka104@aol.com because I know how is incharge of the lawsuit.
ChannAngel

Lockport, IL

#13 Sep 25, 2010
Truth wrote:
"quote...That is how this society continues to get more screwed up. It's like the liberals and independents that voter for our leader in the white house, who promised them "hope and change" what a joke that was.
I'm not trying to get into a political turd-throwing debate here, but your antagonistic, vacuous political commentary just begged for a rebuttal.

Our society and it's "screwed-up-ness" became far more damaged and decrepit when that previous so-called leader with his sh!t-eating grin in the white house was let loose to run amok for eight years. What a joke that WASN'T! There was nothing funny about the condition he brought our country to and walked away from, scot-free. The only one laughing was HIM...all the way to the bank. I don't think anyone can top the damage that the previous so-called leader has done......and especially not in the two whole years that the current leader has had so-called power. You are kind of jumping the gun here.

And no, I didn't vote for Obama, either. I felt that Ralph Nader would of done our country some good.

(Gasp! oh no! an INDEPENDENT voter! Your worst Republican nightmare!)

Problem is, Nader didn't have all the financial backing of big pharma, big oil (big polluters), big media (also polluters...of a different kind) and everyone else with enough money and an agenda. He wasn't/isn't a sell-out, so they refused to let him be heard and denied him the media coverage the others had.

It's ALL smoke and mirrors anyhow. The leader in the white house doesn't run the country.....it hasn't worked like that for some time now. The only thing that runs our country is the almighty dollar and the greed of the top ten wealthiest. Open your eyes.

However, unfortunately for you, I, and all my independent-voting family and friends WILL be back to voting again in November! Yay! Our mission is to disband the two-party system. It can happen.....there's more and more of us each election.

Change is good, hope is an unsatisfying delusion.
Worried resident

Channahon, IL

#14 Oct 20, 2010
Leaving all politics aside and getting back to the topic of concern....

What about the pollution in Channahon. Does anyone have any conclusive evidence? The pics of the fiberglass sound appalling. I know many days I smell an awful fishy smell outside. I live on the far south/west side of Channahon. Always worried about the nuke plant and all the other plants. 2 people on my street have cancer. Could be coincidence.

Just really trying to gather information to decide if this is a safe area to raise my family. Any information anyone has about cancer in this area, or the pollution, or known carcinogens, would be helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hoopeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deputy pleads guilty to DUI (Jan '07) Jun '15 You know it is pl... 11
Jim wisecup Jun '15 golden girl 69 3
Johnathan randall Abbott May '15 tommy 2
does anyone know tiffany Taden May '15 MAY 2
Vetrinarians Apr '15 Pat 1
Unfair judgement (Mar '11) Apr '15 dustinburdick786 9
Haunted houses (Mar '13) Mar '15 all4america 5
More from around the web

Hoopeston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE