Who thinks that there is to many hous...

Who thinks that there is to many housing and section 8 places in our town?

Posted in the Hoopeston Forum

Hoopeston alumni

Des Plaines, IL

#1 May 12, 2010
I know some people need help but i believe that the housing projects here are just tearing our town up...because people end up lazy and because they dont have to pay rent or little rent they decided not to do anything but sit at home and collect state help..
GATEWAY

Paris, IL

#2 May 19, 2010
EVERYBODY THT LIVES THERE DONT JUST SIT ON THERE BUTTS SOME OF THEM WORK AND PAY RENT BUT I CAN UNDERSTAND THEY NEED TO MAKE IT WHERE THERE DOING SOMETHING OTHER THAN SITTING AT HOME NOT WATCHIN THERE KIDS
Hoopeston reaident

United States

#3 May 24, 2010
Also, hate to say it but no one else wants to move here, we don't do anything to try to make this a desireable place for our teenagers, so if we don't bring them in then no one comes in.
Ben

United States

#4 May 26, 2010
Hoopeston reaident wrote:
Also, hate to say it but no one else wants to move here, we don't do anything to try to make this a desireable place for our teenagers, so if we don't bring them in then no one comes in.
I'd like it if you could explain how teenagers would bring anything other then trouble.

You don't want to attract teenagers with minimum wage jobs to make your town. You want people who are young couples just starting a family. That way they put down roots, contribute economically, and hopefully their kids will stick around too.
Hoopeston reaident

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 May 26, 2010
But those people don't come here if they have any choice in the matter because their kids will have nothing to do and end up getting i'm trouble. Idle hands and that whole bit. Give the kids a skate park! If they're skating in a park they're not off doing other things.
Ben

United States

#6 May 27, 2010
Yeah, but then they'll just sell and smoke weed in the skate park. It'll just end up being a burden on the community. Besides, who has the money sitting around in this economy to build one, and what happens when parents who don't think their kids "need" a helmet and pads decides to sue the city because their little punk kid was acting retarded and broke his neck??? It'll be a repeat of the whole parking garage debacle in Danville. Some kid will be paralyzed but Dad will buy a new truck. It's a bad idea. On top of that, all the kids whose parents don't control them (the majority I'm afraid) will spraypaint penises and boobs all over the damn place, and we're gonna pay who to clean it up so they can just do it again?

I understand the kids need something to do, but my opinion is that maybe some people aren't spending the time properly raising their children, resulting in them getting in "trouble". If their parents would grow a pait it wouldn't be a problem.
mother

Waterloo, IA

#7 May 28, 2010
Hey Ben how many kids have u raised or were you even a kid once if you had a bad child hood dont take it out on all the young kids today I think Hoopeston Has turned out quite a few good young adults regardless of the town cituation yes we owe our children something it will be them that saves this town if it gets saved
Truth or Doctor Danville

United States

#8 Jun 3, 2010
mother wrote:
Hey Ben how many kids have u raised or were you even a kid once if you had a bad child hood dont take it out on all the young kids today I think Hoopeston Has turned out quite a few good young adults regardless of the town cituation yes we owe our children something it will be them that saves this town if it gets saved
I've raised two children, I had a wonderful childhood, and I never said Hoopeston turned out bad kids, I pointed out that there are a number of reasons it's a bad idea. Looking at your use of punctuation I suspect you're a kid yourself. Why don't you drive by the skatepark in Danville or Champaign and watch those kids for five minutes, look at the state of the place, ask police officers if there are ever problems? I did, that's why I wrote the last post.
granny

Waterloo, IA

#9 Jun 4, 2010
I dont have to punctuate to get my point across in Hoopeston there are alot of kids that has worked hard for money to go toward a skate park that money is just sitting there and as far as the police go there is problems every where are we suppose to punish the kids that have worked hard because of the bad ones I dont think so and no I am not a kid I am a grandmother to 5 and have ran a daycare for 18 years and I have seen alot of fine children go through my doors we need faith in our youth
misterpesimistic

Des Moines, IA

#10 Jun 6, 2010
like we said before babble babble babble use a period and a capital once in a while so people can read your babble ya old bat babble babble babble it dont make no kinda sense when you type one long sentence babble babble babble with out capitals and periods babble babble babble it doesn'r matter what town your posting in babble babble babble people still need to know where your sentences begin and end babble babble babble

kinda babble makes babble it babble hard babble to babble read babble without babble punctuation babble doesn't it(?)
granny

Waterloo, IA

#11 Jun 7, 2010
o gosh you must be ocd if all you have to bitch about is if I put a period where it belongs CHILL OUT dont read my post life is to short to get bitchy about stupid stuff enjoy your day
misterpesimistic

Farmer City, IL

#12 Jun 7, 2010
I find it funny that a backwards hick that is incapable of writing a sentence feels qualified to diagnose OCD. Seriously,when you type one continuous paragraph with no breaks it makes it hard to read. It just looks like a bunch of babble and you don't get your point across. Is your keyboard broken or are you just THAT lazy?
my thoughts

Hoopeston, IL

#13 Jul 21, 2010
I understand the kids need something to do, but my opinion is that maybe some people aren't spending the time properly raising their children, resulting in them getting in "trouble".

They laughed at Hilary Clinton when she wrote "It Takes A Village"
Yet, we ALL could use some help sometimes. What a wonderful world it would be if we could count on each other, if we were all accountable, if WE did raise our children as opposed to expecting children to raise themselves. It is a rare household these days where Mr Cleaver puts on his tie & goes to work while Mom Cleaver cooks breakfast & has heartwarming talks about life with the kids over bacon & eggs & a pitcher of orange juice before kissing them as they run out the door to catch the bus. "Golly" meant exactly the same thing as "F**K", & when kids asked a question, Mom & Dad gave some thought to an answer as opposed to sending them to the internet or wherever else kids might seek an answer.
I grew up in a Cleaver-like home, I really did. We didn't have a skate park, we had a family & neighbors (who did not hesitate to call my mom if I stepped out of line or hurt my knee)! I remember the days when a neighbor handed the kid at the back door a cold tin cup of red kool aid rather than a joint or pills. It wasn't that long ago...I'm only 54.
There's too much screaming & blaming but no one is paying attention now. I have been equally guilty at times. It doesn't really depend on the income level of a household...it's not just the welfare kids, the uneducated or "undesirable" households in any American town, including Hoopeston. It's just that some of the so-called "upper-class" families are better at hiding (or more appropriately, IGNORING) the defects that can occur in any family when no one is on duty.
I lived in a real place in a real life right there in Hoopeston, so I know it's possible. To those who feel they aren't responsible for the state of our youth today, when was the last time you personally put a band aid on the scraped knee of the kid up the street as you called his/her mom to let her know? My guess is most of us don't even know the mom up the street & don't feel much pity for the brat running loose in the neighborhood, but will discuss the bloody knee over a jaded cup of coffee or a beer, wondering why NO ONE DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT!
Nothing personal, just my thoughts.......
WHATABOUTTHESLUM LORDS

United States

#14 Jul 21, 2010
Hoopeston alumni wrote:
I know some people need help but i believe that the housing projects here are just tearing our town up...because people end up lazy and because they dont have to pay rent or little rent they decided not to do anything but sit at home and collect state help..
What about the slumlords who rent out these homes.These landlords rent out these homes and get check every month and they do NOTHING to repair homes. Why should these Landlords get away with this. Hoopeston needs to go to those eyesores and start issuing citations to them. Hard to beleive who some of these Slumlords are.
My Thoughts

Hoopeston, IL

#15 Jul 21, 2010
WHATABOUTTHESLUMLORDS wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the slumlords who rent out these homes.These landlords rent out these homes and get check every month and they do NOTHING to repair homes. Why should these Landlords get away with this. Hoopeston needs to go to those eyesores and start issuing citations to them. Hard to beleive who some of these Slumlords are.
I have to smile to myself when I think about who those slumlords are....not the druggies, losers, drunks, or any of the "undesirables" who live in them! But why blame the responsible parties for what goes on in those places? We can't blame the white collar population for being so greedy for the money that they'll do anything to get it, including providing "those people" with exactly what they need to do what they do.
kinda like prostitution with their clothes on. We all need a place to sleep & keep our stuff & somebody to provide that for us. Some of us need a provider willing to turn a blind eye to the means with which the rent gets paid (putting mostly unclaimed income into their pockets that will probably never be taxed a dime).
But it's nothing personal, just my thoughts
Dnap1211

United States

#16 Oct 2, 2010
As long as we don't have any standards of keeping our property in clean good condition, that means cheap cheap living, which means more section 8 income. But were really not willing to have standards cause then we'd have to live up to them and not just sit around behind a computer screen and point fingers at other people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hoopeston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for Sheriff in Illinois (Ver... (Oct '10) Oct '16 Cruppenink aka Mu... 187
Who is patrick riffe (Apr '11) Oct '16 looking 4
Need Resident help Oct '16 nptwildcat 1
News Attempted murder charge for man accused of thro... Aug '16 Observer 1
The History of How Hoopeston became Hoopeston? (Oct '09) Aug '16 chicks 12
Dead beat Father Martin Varela Jul '16 Baby girls family 1
News Allegation: Channahon plant polluting (Apr '08) May '16 Read It 18

Hoopeston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hoopeston Mortgages