Tower Automotive closing Traverse Cit...

Tower Automotive closing Traverse City-area plant

There are 33 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids story from Sep 26, 2008, titled Tower Automotive closing Traverse City-area plant. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids reports that:

Tower Automotive says it will close a plant near Traverse City in a move that will cut more than 350 jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nick Maize

United States

#1 Sep 27, 2008
Obviously, as usual, money is a bigger concern than Quality. It doesn't matter how many plants you out do in Quality, MONEY COMES FIRST. 8 years at TOWER TC and might make 9. We worked our asses off and what do we get????? If they (TOWER) would let us run our own facility, we would continue to give them the 20 or so Million profit the want and keep our jobs. It all went down hill when Novi took over and made us drop all of our local vendors and use the ones down state. I worked in the MRO crib for 7 years. We used to show savings all the time. Now it has been taken over by SSI and look where we are. 3 union positions have been taken away (going agianst our contract) and where did that get us??? If you think corperate even thinks about you, the person, forget it. Not unless your name starts with $. I have enjoyed the TC facility and all of the people working there. Memories I will charrish until I die. Union and non Union. Like a family.
If they would give us a chance to do it ourselves, we could make them a profit.

TOO MUCH TOO LITTLE TO LATE!!!!
Jim B

Loveland, CO

#2 Sep 27, 2008
Free trade, outsource, global enonomy. Is there any doubt that this is bad for America and good for the CEO's of these companies that are kicking their own country to the curb?
fay murphy

Louisville, KY

#3 Sep 29, 2008
I hear what you are saying about tower, because the same thing is going on at martinrea heavy stamping, they take all they can, they are making a profit but the profit they are making is not enough for them, they want the employees to do all the giving,they are starting to treat the people like criminals, and the want us to eat only bread and water, considering what they want us to give up, but they have the nerve to make like it's all the union fault.It's a shame that big companies can get by doing the employees this way, someone in government ought to step in and say enough.The middle class have to eat too!
I know you

United States

#4 Oct 1, 2008
Sure Fay, it's just like Martinrea. Your statements would be more credible if they came from someone who didn't spend 2/3 of her career on light duty and the other 1/3 at home.

Tower's problems are nothing like Martinrea's. Martinrea Heavy Stamping supplies parts primarily to Ford's truck and SUV plants. No-one is buying them. Should Martinrea continue to let you work every day when their customer isn't buying what they're making? What am I thinking, you never worked at Martinrea (or Budd) you were just drawing a paycheck. I feel sorry for most of the people at TC and Martinrea. You however are not one of them.
Viva Christo Rey

Benicarló, Spain

#5 Oct 1, 2008
Jim B wrote:
Free trade, outsource, global enonomy. Is there any doubt that this is bad for America and good for the CEO's of these companies that are kicking their own country to the curb?
and bailout wall st. No Obama---No McCain none of the above..
gorge

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Oct 1, 2008
fay murphy wrote:
I hear what you are saying about tower, because the same thing is going on at martinrea heavy stamping, they take all they can, they are making a profit but the profit they are making is not enough for them, they want the employees to do all the giving,they are starting to treat the people like criminals, and the want us to eat only bread and water, considering what they want us to give up, but they have the nerve to make like it's all the union fault.It's a shame that big companies can get by doing the employees this way, someone in government ought to step in and say enough.The middle class have to eat too!
then why aren't the unions stoping them
gorge

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Oct 1, 2008
i thought unions were everything .i got screwed by every union i worked for!
Ann

Montague, MI

#8 Oct 1, 2008
An to add to the list of closings. TrimQuest in Walker announced its closing. Making headliners for Ford Trucks 150 people will be let go. So, those 600 jobs Granmole keeps bragging about moving to the state have all been lost. Between Tower Automotive an TrimQuest. There are 500 jobs gone in just a week. Now we'll have to see what happens to Gainey Trucking an see if their able to keep going.
barbara

Traverse City, MI

#9 Oct 2, 2008
I know you wrote:
Sure Fay, it's just like Martinrea. Your statements would be more credible if they came from someone who didn't spend 2/3 of her career on light duty and the other 1/3 at home.
Tower's problems are nothing like Martinrea's. Martinrea Heavy Stamping supplies parts primarily to Ford's truck and SUV plants. No-one is buying them. Should Martinrea continue to let you work every day when their customer isn't buying what they're making? What am I thinking, you never worked at Martinrea (or Budd) you were just drawing a paycheck. I feel sorry for most of the people at TC and Martinrea. You however are not one of them.
wow..snap
James

AOL

#10 Oct 5, 2008
Tower TC was one of two plants that made money throughout their Chapter 11 period, It still makes money, sure lot of our Toyota jobs went dead, but while we were in Chapter 11 Tower wasn't allowed to quote new work with Toyota, all we got was work from other Tower plants. Most of the jobs we got were money losers, with bad tooling, and or, bid below cost. If Tower wanted to be done with us, they should have sold us off when they were in Chapter 11. It would have given them with badly needed cash during a credit crunch. The TC business is still profitable but has no work. One wonders who in this credit crunch would loan them them the money to move all those big Minster presses To CH.
Concerned

United States

#11 Oct 6, 2008
Jim B wrote:
And what about all the Idiots buying Foreign Cars don't you think that might be some of the problem too. 1 Gm, Ford, Chrysler Employee = 7 outside these companies. GM just shed 25,000 *=175000 Keep buying all this Foreign Chit
sorry for another closure

Mancelona, MI

#12 Oct 11, 2008
I am sorry to hear about another plant closing in michigan. I worked at Dura for 12 years. And no matter what you might hear, its was 100 percent the unions fault it closed. At least as soon as it did. We had a guarantee 2 year contract that the union and the union rep spit on. And, on a contract that was good.. it was really good contract. I for one, will never, ever work for another union as long as I can help it.
Concerned,
you might complain about buying foreign cars, but as we all know, GM, Ford and Chrylser are basically foreign anyway. They are assemlbed here, but not made. Look at all the suppliers they use to use that were american companies. Not anymore. Its the big 3 that are forcing suppliers to close and move to third world countries to save money. Im not saying its ok for these supplier companies to pack up and leave, but there is a bigger picture. One that is more than just greed on the suppliers part. When GM demands that dura has to have so many of its plants in other countries, why should I buy from GM? Why would I support a company that is making our jobs disapear? There is greed in corporate america, but it truely is at the top level. It all trickles down to us.
The only thing that can really help is to have our government give breaks and incentives for companies to stay in the US. For far too long companies have had incentives to move out of your country. I would glady sign up for a company to not pay any taxes at all as long as that company is providing jobs.
deb from michigan

Lawton, MI

#13 Oct 11, 2008
This is scary and sad at the same time
They care so little about thier people and they do bust a hump for that company
So What

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Oct 11, 2008
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text> And what about all the Idiots buying Foreign Cars don't you think that might be some of the problem too. 1 Gm, Ford, Chrysler Employee = 7 outside these companies. GM just shed 25,000 *=175000 Keep buying all this Foreign Chit
Are you taking about those foreign cars built here in the USA such as Ohio, Tenn., Alabama, S & N Carolina? Those have more American content than the junk the UAW spits out at inflated prices.
barbara

Traverse City, MI

#15 Oct 14, 2008
So What wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you taking about those foreign cars built here in the USA such as Ohio, Tenn., Alabama, S & N Carolina? Those have more American content than the junk the UAW spits out at inflated prices.
very very true..
Sorry TC

Bardstown, KY

#16 Oct 15, 2008
I don't think the TC plant has anything to do with outsourcing of jobs. All of the work that was in TC is going to other plants in the Tower organization. I think the biggest problem with TC became the location. With the higher cost in fuel and the size of parts that TC makes made it a lot less cost effective. Shrinking profit margins is what I believe killed TC. I feel bad for all of the people that are losing their jobs and wish them the best of luck in the future. Have any of them been offered jobs at other Tower locations?
plymouth mi worker

AOL

#17 Oct 16, 2008
Nope. We dont get offered jobs at other plants. Plymouth and all the other facilities need to pay close attention to this possible merger with GM. I know if that happens Tower will loose alot of business up here because we make Dodge products at our Plymouth facility. It is written in the Newspaper that most Chrylser jobs will be lost and supplier contracts will be cancelled. Thats us! Goodbye to RAM, DAKOTA ETC.. and maybe JEEP TOO
Buck

Waterloo, Canada

#18 Oct 23, 2008
Their all the same doesn't make any different what company you work for it's all about greed!!!Martinrea are making profit and are closing 3 plant in Canada .Whe are all on the same boat and sinking fast.Ceo of company are crying poor but still collecting huge amount of money ,they got us right where they wanted us. and middle class are killing each other.It's all a big game that the rich people are playing.
EX Empoyer

United States

#20 Oct 27, 2008
you can bet your a-- if GM buys out chrysler tower is done. I don't know what corporate did to piss GM off but probably five years ago GM came into our facility and pulled every die out of the plant. I know that tower does a lot of work for chrysler and if this goes through tower is done. The best thing that factory worker's can do is make their vote count in november and get a democrat in office and mayabe bring back our manufacturing jobs back into the U.S.
whatmeworry

Allen Park, MI

#21 Oct 28, 2008
I agree with EX empoyer. If the merger goes through, its going to be a bloodbath for current suppliers of Chrysler. Some may hang on but the majority of the suppliers whose main customer is Chrysler is going to go away. I thought that tower had most of it's work with Ford.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News MI: Benzie Bus to Add Direct TC Route (Jun '14) May 19 WATCHING LIVONIA 2
X neighborhood Watch= Misfits (Feb '10) May 8 stuckduck 4
Traverse City Music Thread (Sep '13) Apr 26 Musikologist 30
News Michael Moore premieres surprise movie on Trump (Oct '16) Apr '17 watching livonia 4
News An LGBT Tour Of The Great Lakes (Aug '15) Apr '17 watching livonia 12
News Michigan sees heavy snow in places, bitter-cold... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Sneaky Pete 1
Money's Platte River Inn (Jul '10) Oct '13 CAMPER DOUG 5

Honor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honor Mortgages