Republican

Wailuku, HI

#1 Sep 1, 2012
I was told by my history professor (at a University I shall not name) that he was Polynesian. Just yesterday, I see a clip on YouTube saying he's Micronesian.

What did he do? Why is he important to Hawaiians?
leeward LOLO

Honolulu, HI

#2 Sep 1, 2012
He is one of the only remaining people who could navigate without instruments.
He used the stars and could even feel the ocean currents.
He taught the Hawaiians how to navigate the Hokulea (sailing canoe) to Tahiti using ancient methods proving that it could have been done in the past.
Check out Hokule`a but you almost have to see it in person to appreciate what they did, it looks small.

There is a fairly good overview of voyages at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokulea

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Sep 1, 2012
leeward LOLO wrote:
He is one of the only remaining people who could navigate without instruments.
He used the stars and could even feel the ocean currents.
He taught the Hawaiians how to navigate the Hokulea (sailing canoe) to Tahiti using ancient methods proving that it could have been done in the past.
Check out Hokule`a but you almost have to see it in person to appreciate what they did, it looks small.
There is a fairly good overview of voyages at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokulea


Yes, but they did it with a GPS-equipped escort ship only fifty yards away. They were never in danger of getting lost or hurt.
NATIVE

Honolulu, HI

#4 Sep 6, 2012
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but they did it with a GPS-equipped escort ship only fifty yards away. They were never in danger of getting lost or hurt.
iT WAS STILL DONE SUCCESSFULLY. WITH OUT ANY AID.
Republican

Wailuku, HI

#5 Sep 15, 2012
yeah, I just saw the film again. the boat with the GPS was following them and on stand-by in case they needed help. they sailed without their help.

anyways, I just found out that Mau is Micronesian. I did not know that. my history professor (at a University in Hawaii) said he was Polynesian. I went back to class and told him and he just shrugged and walked away.

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#6 Sep 15, 2012
Republican wrote:
yeah, I just saw the film again. the boat with the GPS was following them and on stand-by in case they needed help. they sailed without their help.
So there was no risk of them failing.
Student

Wailuku, HI

#7 Sep 17, 2012
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
So there was no risk of them failing.
no. let me explain it to you simply. if they did fail, and got lost at sea, then the boat with the GPS can help them find land so that they do not die at sea.
however, since they succeeded, then the boat with the GPS was not necessary. I hope that clears things up for you Mr. Balls. it's actually a very simple tactic that a lot of naval students undergo to test their nautical skills.

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#8 Sep 17, 2012
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
no. let me explain it to you simply. if they did fail, and got lost at sea, then the boat with the GPS can help them find land so that they do not die at sea.
however, since they succeeded, then the boat with the GPS was not necessary. I hope that clears things up for you Mr. Balls. it's actually a very simple tactic that a lot of naval students undergo to test their nautical skills.
It's just like the show, "Survivor" with food and water waiting over the next hill if he needs it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump or Hillary 14 min District 1 169
Commenting on BLM ist Verbotten durch das Topix 37 min District 1 11
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,326
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 795
What Hawaii is really like. (Jan '08) 8 hr District 1 700
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) 11 hr Georgina 45
Bwa ha ha ha 18 hr TT Eighthundred 9

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages