New U. S. Senator named

New U. S. Senator named

Posted in the Honolulu Forum

Curmudgeon

Honolulu, HI

#1 Dec 26, 2012
Brian Shitz will be leaving on Wednesday evening for Washington D.C.
District 1

Wailuku, HI

#2 Dec 26, 2012
Appointing Schatz is a decent outcome because he can make an immediate connection to Obama--in fact he is flying back to DC on Air Force One tonight.
While I do not often agree with the insider politics of the Hawaii Democratic Party, I think this is an overall good decisions for the state. Tying our fortunes to the President is at this point the best bridge to power and influence. No matter how you feel about Obama, there is no denying the benefit of having a spot in his corner for the next four years.
When Neil is being Neil, he is capable of independent thought. He's certainly not perfect, but he is capable of hitting it on the kinipopo, which he did today.
Gabe

Mililani, HI

#3 Dec 26, 2012
I didn't think that Abercrombie would go along with Inouye's pick of Hanabusa because back in 2008, A. backed Obama while I. backed Hillary.

Also, if I. or Akaka had stepped down earlier, Abercrombie could have run for their seat.

I think Abercrombie made the right choice.

I just want to scream whenever Hanabusa keeps reminding people that she is just a Waianae girl. And she should throw away those tight Chinese-style dresses she seems to like to wear. And no more political commercials with her sitting on a sofa while stroking the back of a cat.
Nancy

Wahiawa, HI

#4 Dec 26, 2012
Abercrombie should have appointed former Governor Linda Lingle.
Gabe

Mililani, HI

#5 Dec 27, 2012
Lingle is too old.

If a Senator is to have the kind of half-century seniority clout that Inouye had, then the ideal incoming Senator can't be older than his mid-thirties.

That was Hanabusa's strongest qualification.
District 1

Wailuku, HI

#6 Dec 27, 2012
If you were Team Barack, you're in.
Team Hillary--you're out.
If you were Team Neil, you're in.
Team Mufi--you're out.

Schatz was starting QB on both Team Barack and Team Neil.

Politics.
mad hatter

Matthews, NC

#7 Dec 27, 2012
what is with you Hawaii dummies picking inexperienced newbies? The guy is a nobody with zero experience.
March Hare

San Jose, CA

#8 Dec 27, 2012
Too bad about Facebook, no friends.
Gabe

Mililani, HI

#9 Dec 28, 2012
mad hatter wrote:
what is with you Hawaii dummies picking inexperienced newbies? The guy is a nobody with zero experience.
Schatz's educational background is that he has a B.A. in philosophy. He never went on to get a professional degree like a J.D.(lawyer).

But that matters less when it comes to the U.S. Senate seniority system where youthfulness (and longevity) matters more than anything else.
Gabe

Mililani, HI

#10 Dec 28, 2012
District 1 wrote:
If you were Team Barack, you're in.
Team Hillary--you're out.
If you were Team Neil, you're in.
Team Mufi--you're out.
Schatz was starting QB on both Team Barack and Team Neil.
Politics.
When it comes to Mufi, if Inouye had retired a just few years ago, then Abercrombie could have run for Inouye's seat and Mufi could have run for Govenor.
District 1

Wailuku, HI

#11 Dec 28, 2012
Gabe wrote:
<quoted text>
When it comes to Mufi, if Inouye had retired a just few years ago, then Abercrombie could have run for Inouye's seat and Mufi could have run for Govenor.
Well, we will never be able to prove your assertion without creating an alternate universe.
And if we were capable of that, why would we not just fix all the arrogant missteps of the current Democratic Party leadership, balance the power structure in both chambers, and replace all the self-serving, petty politicos with sincere, thoughtful policymakers who truly have The Peoples' interest at heart.
That, and clone Jack Burns.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remembering Hawaii in the50's & 60's (Mar '08) 31 min Harry 676
Love Obama 32 min Harry 142
Yuk yuk yuk yuk (Apr '15) 1 hr ZZZzz4 46
News Suit filed over notorious beating (Mar '08) 7 hr Jomothasass 117
football sheets? 10 hr Joe Balls 2
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) Sat Princess Hey 3,581
What happened to Bu La ia? (Jun '08) Sat Andy Bumati 31

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance