Isle housing bottom seen - Business

The worst could be over for Oahu's slumping housing market even though slower conditions are expected to persist until there is better economic news in the state. Full Story
Pau

Since: Jan 11

Honolulu, HI

#58905 Jul 20, 2013
Cont:

So that’s one area where I think there are a lot of resources and best practices that could be brought to bear if state and local governments are receptive. And I think a lot of them would be. And let’s figure out are there ways for us to push out that kind of training.

Along the same lines, I think it would be useful for us to examine some state and local laws to see if it — if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case, rather than diffuse potential altercations.

I know that there’s been commentary about the fact that the “stand your ground” laws in Florida were not used as a defense in the case. On the other hand, if we’re sending a message as a society in our communities that someone who is armed potentially has the right to use those firearms even if there’s a way for them to exit from a situation, is that really going to be contributing to the kind of peace and security and order that we’d like to see?

And for those who resist that idea that we should think about something like these “stand your ground” laws, I’d just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman who had followed him in a car because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws.

Number three — and this is a long-term project — we need to spend some time in thinking about how do we bolster and reinforce our African American boys. And this is something that Michelle and I talk a lot about. There are a lot of kids out there who need help who are getting a lot of negative reinforcement. And is there more that we can do to give them the sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them?

I’m not naïve about the prospects of some grand, new federal program. I’m not sure that that’s what we’re talking about here. But I do recognize that as President, I’ve got some convening power, and there are a lot of good programs that are being done across the country on this front. And for us to be able to gather together business leaders and local elected officials and clergy and celebrities and athletes, and figure out how are we doing a better job helping young African American men feel that they’re a full part of this society and that they’ve got pathways and avenues to succeed — I think that would be a pretty good outcome from what was obviously a tragic situation. And we’re going to spend some time working on that and thinking about that.

And then, finally, I think it’s going to be important for all of us to do some soul-searching. There has been talk about should we convene a conversation on race. I haven’t seen that be particularly productive when politicians try to organize conversations. They end up being stilted and politicized, and folks are locked into the positions they already have. On the other hand, in families and churches and workplaces, there’s the possibility that people are a little bit more honest, and at least you ask yourself your own questions about, am I wringing as much bias out of myself as I can? Am I judging people as much as I can, based on not the color of their skin, but the content of their character? That would, I think, be an appropriate exercise in the wake of this tragedy.
Pau

Honolulu, HI

#58906 Jul 20, 2013
Cont:

And let me just leave you with a final thought that, as difficult and challenging as this whole episode has been for a lot of people, I don’t want us to lose sight that things are getting better. Each successive generation seems to be making progress in changing attitudes when it comes to race. It doesn’t mean we’re in a post-racial society. It doesn’t mean that racism is eliminated. But when I talk to Malia and Sasha, and I listen to their friends and I seem them interact, they’re better than we are — they’re better than we were — on these issues. And that’s true in every community that I’ve visited all across the country.

And so we have to be vigilant and we have to work on these issues. And those of us in authority should be doing everything we can to encourage the better angels of our nature, as opposed to using these episodes to heighten divisions. But we should also have confidence that kids these days, I think, have more sense than we did back then, and certainly more than our parents did or our grandparents did; and that along this long, difficult journey, we’re becoming a more perfect union — not a perfect union, but a more perfect union.

Now show the forum what you comprehended. That of course if you can read.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#58907 Jul 20, 2013
What a load of Hogwash.
Pau

Honolulu, HI

#58908 Jul 20, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
What a load of Hogwash.
Your comment says more about you than it does the POTUS.
Leeward lolo

Waianae, HI

#58909 Jul 20, 2013
Did not read PAU's nonsense past where roachboy said what I said he said.

List of roachboy LIES FOLLOWS:

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-obama-a-pa...
district 1 an a 2

Phoenix, AZ

#58910 Jul 20, 2013
Leeward lolo wrote:
Your continued misinformation or lies list is much longer because you are as old as dirt. Resentment Rules Your Life.
Pau

Honolulu, HI

#58911 Jul 20, 2013
Leeward lolo wrote:
Changing the subject again Tootsie?

The nonsense is all your's. The POTUS did not say what you claim.

As I proved with the transcript.

You're just what the creatures long for Tootsie....an unapologetic “birther” spouting ignorance bred from hatred.
Spagmar Hygastinium

Canyon Country, CA

#58912 Jul 20, 2013
Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
Changing the subject again Tootsie?
The nonsense is all your's. The POTUS did not say what you claim.
As I proved with the transcript.
You're just what the creatures long for Tootsie....an unapologetic “birther” spouting ignorance bred from hatred.
Lie much?
Yngwie Malmsteen

Leander, TX

#58913 Jul 20, 2013
Spagmar Hygastinium wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie much?
Excuse me Spagmar, but can you tell me what is a Pau and why does it tell lies? I heard that very same social experiment President say the very things he denies.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#58914 Jul 20, 2013
"

Would you trust thousands of low-level Federal bureaucrats and contractors with one-touch access to your private financial and medical information? Under Obamacare you won’t have any choice.

As the Obamacare train-wreck begins to gather steam, there is increasing concern in Congress over something called the Federal Data Services Hub. The Data Hub is a comprehensive database of personal information being established by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to implement the federally facilitated health insurance exchanges. The purpose of the Data Hub, according to a June 2013 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, is to provide “electronic, near real-time access to federal data” and “access to state and third party data sources needed to verify consumer-eligibility information.” In these days of secret domestic surveillance by the intelligence community, rogue IRS officials and state tax agencies using private information for political purposes, and police electronically logging every license plate that passes by, the idea of the centralized Data Hub is making lawmakers and citizens nervous.

They certainly should be; the potential for abuse is enormous. The massive, centralized database will include comprehensive personal information such as income and financial data, family size, citizenship and immigration status, incarceration status, social security numbers, and private health information. It will compile dossiers based on information obtained from the IRS, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Defense, the Veterans Administration, the Office of Personnel Management, the Social Security Administration, state Medicaid databases, and for some reason the Peace Corps. The Data Hub will provide web-based, one-stop shopping for prying into people’s personal affairs.

Not to fear, HHS says, the Data Hub will be completely secure. Really? Secure like all the information that has been made public in the Wikileaks era? These days no government agency can realistically claim that private information will be kept private, especially when it is being made so accessible. Putting everyone’s personal information in once place only simplifies the challenge for those looking to hack into the system.

However, the hacker threat is the least of the Data Hub worries. The hub will be used on a daily basis by so-called Navigators, which according to the GAO are “community and consumer-focused nonprofit groups, to which exchanges award grants to provide fair and impartial public education” and “refer consumers as appropriate for further assistance.” Thousands of such people will have unfettered access to the Data Hub, but there are only sketchy guidelines on how they will be hired, trained and monitored. Given the slap-dash, incoherent way Obamacare is being implemented the prospect for quality control is low. And the Obama administration’s track record of sweetheart deals, no-bid, sole-source contracting and other means of rewarding people with insider access means the Data Hub will be firmly in the hands of trusted White House loyalists.

So if you think the IRS targeting Tea Party groups was bad, just wait for the Obamacare Navigators to be unleashed.“Trust us,” the administration says, no one will abuse the Data Hub. Sure, because that has worked out so well in the past."

James S. Robbins is Deputy Editor of Rare and author of Native Americans: Patriotism, Exceptionalism, and the New American Identity. Follow him on Twitter @James_Robbins
- See more at: http://rare.us/story/move-over-nsa-here-comes...
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#58915 Jul 20, 2013
Pau wrote:
Cont:
And let me just leave you with a final thought that, as difficult and challenging as this whole episode has been for a lot of people, I don’t want us to lose sight that things are getting better. Each successive generation seems to be making progress in changing attitudes when it comes to race. It doesn’t mean we’re in a post-racial society. It doesn’t mean that racism is eliminated. But when I talk to Malia and Sasha, and I listen to their friends and I seem them interact, they’re better than we are — they’re better than we were — on these issues. And that’s true in every community that I’ve visited all across the country.
And so we have to be vigilant and we have to work on these issues. And those of us in authority should be doing everything we can to encourage the better angels of our nature, as opposed to using these episodes to heighten divisions. But we should also have confidence that kids these days, I think, have more sense than we did back then, and certainly more than our parents did or our grandparents did; and that along this long, difficult journey, we’re becoming a more perfect union — not a perfect union, but a more perfect union.
Now show the forum what you comprehended. That of course if you can read.
Plagiarize much?
Leeward lolo

Phoenix, AZ

#58916 Jul 20, 2013
Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
Plagiarize much?
If you keep acting out like Sybil we're gonna' strap you down.
Spagmar Hygastinium

Canyon Country, CA

#58917 Jul 20, 2013
Yngwie Malmsteen wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me Spagmar, but can you tell me what is a Pau and why does it tell lies? I heard that very same social experiment President say the very things he denies.
Yes sir.

Pau is when you have diarrhea and you take Imodium and it stops.

In this case, the diarrhea doesn't come out of the other hole and instead comes out of his mouth. Imodium will only stop the diarrhea that comes out of the butt. But Pau has two butts. One where the sun doesn't shine, and the other one is his head. And Obama and Pau are democrats.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nJXVuX5qY8M/TkERLN7...
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#58918 Jul 20, 2013
on radio just now on c2c...

obama ordered manditory HIV testing for anyone between 15-65 years old. It is in the obamacare fiasco.

SINCE WHEN DOES THE PRESIDENT HAVE THE POWER TO TEST EVERYBODY AND GRAB THEIR DNA?

...feel like the Nazi's are back and obama is Hitler?
Leeward lolo

Phoenix, AZ

#58919 Jul 20, 2013
Will you be needing me to call 911 La guru or are you going to quit taking multiple meds with your MD 20/20.
Spitzeldikatoriu m Gik

Canyon Country, CA

#58920 Jul 20, 2013
Leeward lolo wrote:
Will you be needing me to call 911 La guru or are you going to quit taking multiple meds with your MD 20/20.
Huh what you is fagu feenex spal?

Dorka nospun inka yen trool?

Yalp!
Spitzeldikatoriu m Gik

Canyon Country, CA

#58921 Jul 20, 2013
Spal giktic?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#58922 Jul 20, 2013
Waianae Lolo, went to breakfast at the Makaha golf course this morning and left almost immediately. You gotta go and see this! The menu is almost non-existant, you have to go up to the counter to order as there are no waitresses working the floor, the nice tables have been replaced with small crappy ones, just one girl at a folding table pouring coffee, and they serve the coffee in paper cups now. My BIL went up and asked the manager what's up with the shitty service and he said, "the bosses scaled back because of Obamacare." He said they also scaled back in Kapolei. We left and went to the army base and ate. I see that place closing down real soon. American Waitresses paying the price for a lousy illegal president. I don't care but my wife always liked the food and service until this morning. Obama's Jihad against America is affecting even the smallest businesses now.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#58923 Jul 20, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
Waianae Lolo, went to breakfast at the Makaha golf course this morning and left almost immediately. You gotta go and see this! The menu is almost non-existant, you have to go up to the counter to order as there are no waitresses working the floor, the nice tables have been replaced with small crappy ones, just one girl at a folding table pouring coffee, and they serve the coffee in paper cups now. My BIL went up and asked the manager what's up with the shitty service and he said, "the bosses scaled back because of Obamacare." He said they also scaled back in Kapolei. We left and went to the army base and ate. I see that place closing down real soon. American Waitresses paying the price for a lousy illegal president. I don't care but my wife always liked the food and service until this morning. Obama's Jihad against America is affecting even the smallest businesses now.
Hawaii is going to cry big time once this rock hits them in the head and the wallet. how many jobs there you need...3? Now you need 5 to get by with this idiot screwing up the planet.

obama is a complete failure.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#58924 Jul 21, 2013
the idiot from phoenix lives here. This is how he takes a bath once a year....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was it about race? (Jul '13) 2 hr Bakatari 19
Do you think... 4 hr Joe Balls 2
John Kerry: We have a Biblical a responsibility... 5 hr Joe Balls 40
What the heck is up with deleting posts/comments? 11 hr Slewer 16
010-111 Exam Latest training practice Wed passokay123 1
Hawaii economist says Honolulu rail agency 'shu... Wed Jack 6
Hawaii Eruptions and Lava Flows Tue District 1 4
•••
•••
•••