Teachers approve contract - Hawaii News

There are 20 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 23, 2009, titled Teachers approve contract - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Hawaii's public school year will have 17 fewer instructional days under a two-year contract ratified yesterday by the Hawaii State Teachers Association.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Close HTA

Kalaheo, HI

#1 Sep 23, 2009
Millions upon millions for offshore tourist executives but furloughs for teachers. Time to Close Hawaii Tourist Authority.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#2 Sep 23, 2009
"Some teachers said they were happy there were no layoffs but were worried about households where both parents are teachers and the loss is closer to 16 percent."
This is the type of dumbed down "economics" education that our kids our getting. If on family member is losing 8 percent o their pay and the other does not. assuming they make the same amount, then it is only a 4% loss. If both husband and wife are teachers and both see an 8% loss of income, then the total loss is still 8%, not 16 %. How embarrassing for teachers if they cannot grasp this concept of percentages.
Hopeful

Kihei, HI

#3 Sep 23, 2009
The teachers did the right thing by voting for the new 2-year contract over the unrealistic objections of their union president.
Eddie Flores Sux

Honolulu, HI

#4 Sep 23, 2009
Thank you teachers for making this sacrifice. Yes, it is a sacrifice. Instead of paying our teachers what they are truly worth, we are asking them to be the first to take furloughs / pay cuts.

At least our teachers are pragmatic.

Instead of the other "greedy" unions who, instead of sacrificing are DEMANDING PAY RAISES! Yes, HGEA! That's you. When you ask for 4 day work weeks and still be paid the same as your current 5 day work week, that is called a PAY RAISE!

HOPE THE UNION BOSSES GET THROW OUT OF OFFICE IN THE NEXT UNION ELECTIONS. WHILE THEIR MEMBERS ARE SUFFERING, THEY PAD THEIR WALLETS WITH FAT PAY INCREASES! OBSCENE FAT CATS!
Dunce

Honolulu, HI

#5 Sep 23, 2009
Interesting about the comment about "16% cut" for families with both spouse working as public school teachers.

The total family income loss will double, but the percentage will remain 8% as the income doubles in such household.

Hope person making that comment isn't a math teacher...
Go Figga

Wailuku, HI

#6 Sep 23, 2009
Where was all this concern about our children's education and welfare when the BOE was implementing these "waiver" days? Oh yeah, the teachers are paid for these!

“Nothing Good Can Come of This!”

Since: Oct 08

Denver, CO

#7 Sep 23, 2009
If the teachers were so concerned about the students, why don't they take the furloughs on their 'professional development days' instead of days the kids are in school?
sad

Hanalei, HI

#8 Sep 23, 2009
Keoni K wrote:
If the teachers were so concerned about the students, why don't they take the furloughs on their 'professional development days' instead of days the kids are in school?
Believe me, many of us wanted to do just that. It's a sad day in Hawaii when the governor and unions have played politics with our kids' educations and futures, especially when there were other alternatives available!
makanikai

Waianae, HI

#9 Sep 23, 2009
I can't believe the community is not more outraged that the state is taking away 17 days of our children's education. People only seemed to be concerned about childcare, as if teachers are babysitters. There was more of an outcry from the public when the BOE considered cuts to sports programs. Our elective officials, many of whom send their own children to private school, are silent. People, it takes a village you know.
do the right thing

Honolulu, HI

#10 Sep 23, 2009
Tough times for everybody. Good to see the teachers taking the kind of cut the rest of us have taken. Nobody is immune to the perils of this economy.
lokal boi

San Antonio, TX

#13 Sep 23, 2009
going to save the state more money...but kids without anything to do for 17 more days....i smell trouble
wendell

United States

#14 Sep 23, 2009
KAzman wrote:
"Some teachers said they were happy there were no layoffs but were worried about households where both parents are teachers and the loss is closer to 16 percent."
This is the type of dumbed down "economics" education that our kids our getting. If on family member is losing 8 percent o their pay and the other does not. assuming they make the same amount, then it is only a 4% loss. If both husband and wife are teachers and both see an 8% loss of income, then the total loss is still 8%, not 16 %. How embarrassing for teachers if they cannot grasp this concept of percentages.
I thought I was the only one who noted that error right off the bat.

And yes, it does make you wonder about the quality of education. But then again, it offers an insight as to the logic and rationale behind arguments against the guv's budget actions.
THIS IS WRONG

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 23, 2009
I can't believe the stupidity that has been allowed here. To screw our children out of 17 days of school a year so the teachers will be more comfortable with a pay cut that is necessary is WRONG. The teachers get more time off than any other state worker yet they continue to demand higher pay. Now they take a SACRIFICE of 7.9 percent along with time off for three day weekends. The cut they approved is only HALF of what other state workers are looking at, and now they may be burdened with an added expense of 17 extra days they have to find child care. HSTA orchestrated this selfishness, but the teachers approved it. I am disgusted and ashamed of all of them. You all know the right thing to do is to take a pay cut over the next two year or take your furloughs on your teacher professional days. From now on, I vote for whoever is NOT ENDORSED BY HSTA.
Economics 101

Boise, ID

#16 Sep 23, 2009
8%+ 8%= 8%

No calculator needed.
Woteva

Keaau, HI

#17 Sep 23, 2009
Next will the retirement benefits. The ERS still has not published the annual comprehensive analysis, done in January.

They won't say what the funded level of the trust is - but are running it. It's like driving a car but not knowing what the gas gauge is at.
Translator

Hilo, HI

#18 Sep 23, 2009
KAzman wrote:
"Some teachers said they were happy there were no layoffs but were worried about households where both parents are teachers and the loss is closer to 16 percent."
This is the type of dumbed down "economics" education that our kids our getting. If on family member is losing 8 percent o their pay and the other does not. assuming they make the same amount, then it is only a 4% loss. If both husband and wife are teachers and both see an 8% loss of income, then the total loss is still 8%, not 16 %. How embarrassing for teachers if they cannot grasp this concept of percentages.
Umm, you are assuming that a teacher said that the loss is closer to 16 percent. Could it have been the Star Bulletin reporter's 'Bad Math? Regardless of who said what, the impact of the new contract will impact a 2 teacher household twice as much.
MisterMister

Kihei, HI

#19 Sep 23, 2009
Go Figga wrote:
Where was all this concern about our children's education and welfare when the BOE was implementing these "waiver" days? Oh yeah, the teachers are paid for these!
Uh, Yeah. Because we work on those days to plan instruction or do you think teachers just walk into a classroom and everything has been set up for them by the magical school fairies?
Ashamed

Koloa, HI

#20 Sep 23, 2009
This is not a fair compromise. The teachers are having three day weekends while they punish every public school student and their families by taking away those school days. Reducing the number of school days, while our test scores are already low, should NEVER have been an option.

The statement about the 16% pay cut is what really drove me mad. Perhaps they deserved to forfeit 16%.
False concern

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Sep 23, 2009
Where was all this concern about students' education when the teachers went on strike?

Anyway, the teachers did the right thing this time, for which I commend them.
toomuch

Honolulu, HI

#22 Sep 23, 2009
Layoffs would be better to cut the budget and increase the class sizes like UH. Then some problems will be solved...........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hawaii: NOT Paradise 40 min JB and Minn Fats ... 14
News Can transit be done by 2012? (Dec '06) 2 hr Joe Balls 6
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon (Aug '14) 8 hr Go Blue Forever 262
Feral Cat Eradication 12 hr Joe Balls 11
Human Excrement Converted to Energy 12 hr Joe Balls 8
Stupid people 14 hr Joe Balls 35
News Chuukese man gets life term for murder - Hawaii... (Jul '09) 16 hr District 1 216
More from around the web

Honolulu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]