Across-the-board layoffs do not create savings - Hawaii Editorials

The economic winds are blowing hard against the bow of our state and stirring up a fierce and apparently relentless storm. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TART

Boston, MA

#1 Sep 24, 2009
I am a TART who likes to FART
huh

Aiea, HI

#2 Sep 24, 2009
hey dummy. step 1 is to give back your 36% raise. otherwise, you're the problem.
PRICE TO PAY

Kailua Kona, HI

#3 Sep 24, 2009
Hooser and other Democratshave drove us to this point: THERE IS NO MORE OF THE PUBLICS MONEY TO SPEND---THEY SPEND AND SPEND...AND NOW HE COMPLAINS????? A JOKE, RIGHT??

The answer was fiscal discipline...something the spend more... spend more ...legislature of Democrats know nothing about--

Blame yourselves Hooser---

“Nothing Good Can Come of This!”

Since: Oct 08

Denver, CO

#4 Sep 24, 2009
Always nice to read a concise unbiased editorial...NOT!!! Give up your raise and get on board with the rest of us!
Kimo Da Cable Guy

AOL

#5 Sep 24, 2009
Only in Hawaii could someone as dopey as Hooser be majority leader of the Senate. Yes, the same idiot who was so opposed to the SuperFerry yet babbles nonsense about "technology to modernize the delivery of services." The state budget has to be balanced now, not five years from now after all the commissions, discussions, studies, public hearings and consensus building that Hooser wants. Note to Hooser: there is NEVER going to be a consensus because Democrats will oppose anything Governor Lingle proposes, regardless of how obviously necessary it is. Hooser says layoffs won't save money. OK, so his solution must be to hire more people? Is that how he would run a money-losing business? What a genius. The underlying message here, which Hooser can't quite muster the courage to say out loud, is that he would rather crank up the taxes for everyone than cut one penny of government spending. That's the beauty of being a politician. If you run a business faced with fewer customers and declining revenue you can't just raise prices to boost your profit. But in government you can always just raise taxes because your "customers" - the taxpayers - can't go somewhere else for public services. That's what makes government so attractive for tax and spend lackwits like Hooser. If people on Kauai enjoy high rates of unemployment and foreclosures then they should go right on electing nuts like Hooser. But don't look to the rest of us for sympathy or a bailout.
huh

Pearl City, HI

#6 Sep 24, 2009
Hoosier said, "Clearly there is a price to pay, one way or another. And clearly, simply throwing some of our friends and neighbors out of the canoe, is not the answer."

the problem Hoosier is that there is a huge majority of people that never got to sit in that canoe ---- yet they have to pay for it

disconnected and detached but paying the bills, could be a recipe for political change --- amd you got no money left for connecting more people

“Don't believe what you hear.”

Since: Sep 08

Wahiawa

#7 Sep 24, 2009
The legislature had their chance to address this prior to going home last session. They couldn't be bothered to ensure they did a proper job before adjourning. So, the task fell to the governor to do what she can do within the means that she is allowed by law.
The Governor cannot raise taxes, only the legislature can.
The economy doesn't go on hiatus (stand still) just because the legislature is not in session. Perhaps they should earn their payraise by reconvening and quickly addressing this issue, preferably within the next 2 weeks or so. If not, they are just like the other couch potato quarterbacks that talk big and cannot produce results.
Only Paradise

Kapolei, HI

#8 Sep 24, 2009
Only idiots like Hooser will utter mumble jumble that explains nothing about the plight of Hawaii's budget deficits.

Hey Gary Hooser
I thought you are Hawaii's state senate majority leader but time and time you have voted for things Hawaii do not need like pay raises for yourself.

what solution do you have in your stupid editorial?
none.

I am sure Gary Hooser great solution would be to raise taxes but at this time it would be political suicide.

you can be sure i will not vote for you to be Lt. Governor in 2010

be a sheep
Vote democrap
IslandBoi

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#9 Sep 24, 2009
Gary Hooser, can't you look in the mirror and see that you are part of the budget shortfall. Programs and other areas you have worked to fund that are not essential services of government are wasting tax dollars. And have you forgotten the pay raise you clearly do not need, another waste of tax dollars. Before you try to slam the state, look in the mirror, the problem is looking right at you.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#10 Sep 24, 2009
Senator Hooser, Please give us some viable solutions since you and your senate majority pushed through legislation to spend more money even after the Governor vetoed those bills. My guess you are trying to soften the blow about raising taxes with your statement "Our community must decide what services we believe are essential and face up to the responsibility of paying for them." You as senate majority leader had the power to become part of the solution, instead you and your cronies in the square building left it as the Governor versus the unions. By the way, when are you going to give back your pay raise and share the pain? I hope that you are up for re-election and hope you do get "laid off" for your incompetencies and inadequacies of your job. I am hoping you don't see any more pay raises.
Felix the Leerkat

AOL

#11 Sep 24, 2009
Top Ten Other Sayings(besides "Across-the-board layoffs do not create savings")from Chairman Gary's Little Red Book

10. The sky is not blue
9. The Pope is not Catholic
8. A bear does not poop in the woods
7. God didn't make little green apples
6. Bigger government solves everything - even acne, sobriety and really hard Sudoku puzzles
5. Kauai doesn't need an economy - let's all get nekkid and live off the land
4. Freeing all prison inmates will reduce crime
3. Higher taxes will help all you little people appreciate government more
2. Generous welfare and unemployment benefits encourage people to work
1. Pay raises for legislators help balance the state budget
ksgrad

Honolulu, HI

#12 Sep 24, 2009
I agree. At this point, this is where our Legislators need to step in and do something about it. The Governor is making decisions, fear-based quickly and without thought. There needs to be a temporary increase in the GE tax, so that jobs are saved and people can spend money and contribute to the economy. No job, no money, no good...period
Flexo

Keauhou, HI

#13 Sep 24, 2009
I think everyone agrees "that we need to balance our budget with a long term perspective" but we are facing budget deficits today, not next year. Our constitution requires a balanced budget. To follow Hooser's suggestions in dealing with our immediate problems simply isn't possible.
I don't know why he's writing op-ed pieces anyway, he's part of the problem.
realist

AOL

#14 Sep 24, 2009
What is unacceptable is to have a Senator like Hooser who is clueless and prefers to posture politically rather than do something constructive. This is the same Democrat group of Senators that nit-pick with Dept. Directors about their choices for cuts. If you cannot help the situation; get out of the way. Imagine having Hooser as the LG to a Neil Abercrombie or Mufi as Governor; AUWE.
the people get it

Hanalei, HI

#15 Sep 24, 2009
the legislators dont get it---too many on the payroll---too many with their hands out for government money---

AND

AND

TOO MUCH FOR US TO PAY YEAR AFTER YEAR INTO THE TROUGH...FOR OTHERS TO SLURP UP---WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE TRULY NEEDY AND THE BASIC SERVICES...IT IS ALL THE DUPLICATE FUNCTIONS AND INTEREST GROUPS....LACK OF GOVERNMENT STREAMLING...PASSSING OF MORE AND MORE COMPLEX REGULATIONS WHICH TAKE MORE AND MORE GOVERNMENT JOBS TO HANDLE (ISNT THAT THE TRUTH??)...ETC ETC

GARY HOOSER AND DEMOCRATS CANT FOOL ALL THE PEOLE ALL THE TIME---STEP UP AND RUN AGAINST THIS GUY SOMEONE ON KAUAI OR DONT LAMENT YOUR FUTURE THERE WITH NO JOBS
ACORN

United States

#16 Sep 24, 2009
Sen. Gary Hooser campaign website linked to Holocaust deniers
http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/main/ArticlesM...
Chuck

Honolulu, HI

#17 Sep 24, 2009
Mr. Hooser,

Where was your rainy day planning when things were going great. How many jobs did you protect by denying government modernization when it could be afforded. How many deeply partisan tricks did you play on the Governor, that cost us moeny, just because you could. How many political temps did you restrict during the session to save money?
hey

Honolulu, HI

#18 Sep 24, 2009
ksgrad wrote:
I agree. At this point, this is where our Legislators need to step in and do something about it. The Governor is making decisions, fear-based quickly and without thought. There needs to be a temporary increase in the GE tax, so that jobs are saved and people can spend money and contribute to the economy. No job, no money, no good...period
Please change you screen name. You embarass the rest of us who graduated from KS.
haole

Quincy, MA

#19 Sep 24, 2009
great the recovery and re-investment act is working as all had hoped.the only thing missing is 10% un-employment and a 10% tax increase.
waimea jim

United States

#20 Sep 24, 2009
huh wrote:
hey dummy. step 1 is to give back your 36% raise. otherwise, you're the problem.
Step 2 is to do the job you were elected to do. Step 3, if you can't handle the job, you know where the door is, quit. Step 4, if you don't want to do steps 2 and 3, impeach or file for malfeasance all the Legislators.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate continues on what to do with the Honolul... 1 hr Bakatari 13
Senator Ted Cruz wants to abolish ObamaCare and... 3 hr Leeward Outlier 7
Residents petition to clear up crosswalk laws 3 hr Snoop 7
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 4 hr texas pete 2,390
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 8 hr Birddog 367
HPD chief assessed as above average in review 8 hr American_Infidel 4
With poll, Obama foundation hints at library's ... 11 hr Snoop 18
Honolulu Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web