Punahou Baseball (Discipline Tactics)

Posted in the Honolulu Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#1 Apr 9, 2008
Last week Friday the Punahou Baseball team lost to Iolani at Ala Wai Field. Regardless of the reason, the team was not allowed to ride the bus back to Punahou. So the team had to walk back to school. I wonder what would have happened if they played in Waipahu again? Would they have to walk from there? Who really cares if the coaches walked to.

This is slave mentality. The owner speak, or orders, and the slaves listen or hell will be payed.

I find this completely outrageous! This is so dangerous! You have a team of boys walking on the street late on a Friday night. It's dark and who knows who's out there driving. Plus McCully is one of the main streets into Waikiki, so there is a lot of traffic and there is a high possibility that intoxicated drivers could be going to the clubs in Waikiki. Are the coaches adults or what? Isn't the primary responsibility of the coaches the safety and well-being of the kids?

This lewd and ridiculous act alone show that winning and their egos are more important than building self-esteem and safety. I can't understand what kind of adults would put kids into a situation where they would be humiliated. Also, how does that make the school look? The baseball team is walking back after a game because they lost. That is absurd! Hopefully the correct actions are taken.

Personally I think these coaches owe the school, the parents, and most importantly the boys a huge apology.

These kinds of actions make the school look terrible. Is winning really that important where you could severely damage a kid's psyche? Auwe!

What do the rest of you think? I can't see how the school can support this type of discipline and I think immediate action should be taken.
One Fan

United States

#2 Apr 10, 2008
That is wild! How can coaches humiliate their players like that.
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#3 Apr 11, 2008
I heard that the tactics was done to humiliate them. Isn't a coach supposed to build self-worth instead of trash it?
Aiea

Pearl City, HI

#4 Apr 11, 2008
Bad, BAD move by the coach/coaches. They should be fired for endangering the kids. You PARENTS should pull your kids off the team and make a some noise about this.

Since: Nov 07

Anchorage, AK

#5 Apr 11, 2008
Aiea is right... pull your kids from the team! You might also demand the coaches walk up and down McCully wearing "I am an idiot" signs.
bungahead

Haiku, HI

#6 Apr 11, 2008
Hmmmmmm... Ala Wai field, huh?

So, the boys had to cross Kapiolani Blvd.(in the cross walk, presumably with the "walk" indicator), then walk up that "nasty" (albeit main thoroughfare) stretch of McCully where the walk up apartment and small house dwellers might have laid seige to them.....then walk across King Street...(wait, does the intersection of King and McCully have traffic lights??? or crosswalks??)
bungahead

Haiku, HI

#7 Apr 11, 2008
... THEN!!!!! They had to walk past the Jack in the Box, and the Chinese Restaurant, and the Kentucky Fried Chicken to get to Beretania (DANGEROUS BERETANIA WHERE NO MAN SHOULD WALK!!!) and cross over to the overpass.... and then, back home to the "safe turf" of Oahu College.....wow, that's what? 1 or 2 MILES!!!(which is far less than the 5 miles my grandfather used to slog throught the snow blizzards in Kalihi to get to school, but far nonetheless)

And, DARN!!! I didn't know that the sidewalks I remember running all the way from Ala Wai to the Mauka side of H-1 had been destroyed!

OOOOOOOH the Horror!!!! Making Punahou kids, heck! ANY KIDS... WALK!!!!!

Haven't been following Punahou Baseball this year, except to notice that they've run into a rut insofar as their record is concerned. 3d in the ILH???

Well, perhaps the coaches perceived a lack of commitment, laziness, lack of concentration, complacency, resting on laurels??? whatever...Coaches see what coaches see, and creating situations and opportunities where players might do a little thinking, get an attitude adjustment, whatever, is part of the game.

Unless you left something out, I understand the players were made to take the walk as a TEAM. Yes? I would agree there was an element of humiliation if it were only selected players who were made to walk. Otherwise, it appears a message was being sent to the TEAM. A message the coaches felt was important, and which, considering their record in light of the talent that returned, probably was important.

Further, you said, "who really cares if the coaches walked to (sp?)." Well, did the coaches walk too? I care. Because if they were there to supervise the walk, then they not only "walked the walk", but acted responsibly.

As to "humiliation"...you consider it "humiliating" to walk up a street? You consider it humiliating to walk on a street with your teammates, together? You consider it humiliating to wear a Punahou uniform EVER? ANYWHERE?(hint: it's a privilege that lots of other kids would like to have)

Not having been at the game, but knowing a little about what kind of year round commitment the Punahou Baseball coaches make to their kids, it's hard to imagine that the objectives of the walk were to humiliate the kids, or place them in harm's way. In fact, that's a pretty dastardly and out of line accusation. And, if, by chance, your kid is prohibited from walking on the street after dark (which I seriously doubt), then you're doing him a life disservice.

My suspicion is that there were things that happened in the game that fell below the level of maximum effort and ooncentration. My suspicion is that there might be an attitude issue that the coaches wanted to nip in the butt. My suspicion is that there might even have been discord among the individual team members, so that team building might've been necessary. If so, none of those issues would've been addressed if the kids merely got on the bus, took their showers, and went out for a night on the town (when they might have even WALKED ON THE STREET!!!!!).

If you think your kid was humiliated by the walk, and put in danger, and subjected to such horrible abuse, then do the right thing as the principled parent you claim to be. TAKE YOUR KID OFF THE TEAM. Why risk exposing your kid to such a (literal) parade of horrors ever again??? I mean, isn't the ONLY RESPONSIBLE thing, based on your accusations, to take you kid off the team???

A Parent

Kailua, HI

#8 Apr 11, 2008
I think it is okay to discipline. But to state to other coaches that you were trying to humiliate the kids is unacceptable. First most of them don't have children so they have no idea how to parent. Next it is clear that they only care about winning. They overwork the kids arms. Jeeter is hurt. I heard that one of the other pictures (Evan Lim??) was hurting and asked not to pitch and he was verbally harassed.

I think it comes down to insecurity of the coaches. They are so used to winning. When they lose and the kids do not play up to their potential, isn't that a coaching thing. Maybe the coaches should be the one who get humiliated.

Or maybe they are humiliated since they are losing and they are taking it out on the kids. Often adults with ego problems have to take out there frustrations on the kids.

I find it hard to believe that these kids have an attitude problem. If they did they wouldnt have won multiple titles. Also, they train in the off-season, play summer baseball, and compete. They do not have attitude problems. If anyone has an attitude problem it is the coaches.

I agree with Alaska Fan!!!
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#9 Apr 11, 2008
And yes I do consider it humiliating when it isn't the normal protocol to walk home from games. Plus the kids are tired, it's late on Friday, and they had a long day from being at school all day. Some of the kids had 14-15 hour days. That is irresponsible. If discipline was needed, they could have disciplined them when they got back to school, the next day, or on Monday. Since they couldn't wait, it is clear that the coaches' frustration or anger got the best of them. So, this wasn't discipline, it was pure humiliation. At least they didn't make the boys walk in their underwear.
bungahead

Haiku, HI

#10 Apr 12, 2008
How dare you use names of kids. Are they yours?

Like I said, if you think walking up McCully os too much for your kid, then TAKE HIM OFF THE TEAM!
dobbs

Honolulu, HI

#11 Apr 12, 2008
Personally, the thought of rich, private school kids walking in my neighborhood with bats scares the hell out of me!
Oh, wait...these guys weren't from St Louis, they were from a respectable school.
Cancel my last statement.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#12 Apr 12, 2008
I agree witht he angry parent. Punahou is badly led by a minor league President and the emphasis on winning at any cost is absurd. My prep school, Exeter, is much more sophisticated and elite academically. Punahou is overhyped and has leadership problems.
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#13 Apr 12, 2008
This blog site always uses the names of people, even juveniles. I remember in the Jervis case, several of the kids involved were mentioned. Are you the internet police? The difference here is I didn't talk about a kid in a negative light. I just mentioned what I heard about poor treatment.

The focus here should be why adults need to humiliate a kid in order to win a baseball game. Is breaking someone's self-esteem, losing trust, or humiliating a kid what we need to do to win a baseball game?

The real issue here is the coaches must obviously be doing a very poor job if they must resort to these tactics to win a baseball game.

I pose this question to Punahou School. Are these the kinds of people you want to lead your students? What's next, the teachers are going to make the kids who don't try their hardest in class stand on their heads? Auwe!!!
One Fan

United States

#14 Apr 12, 2008
I say fire em! Get rid of them! If you must so these kind of things just to win a baseball game then their moral compass is way off and they lack integrity! I say tell them aloha!!!
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#15 Apr 12, 2008
What RIGHT does a coach or a bunch or coaches have to EVER even attempt to humiliate their players. That alone should get them fired! Regardless of the type of discipline, whenever coaches go around telling others that the motive was to humiliate, that is wrong! There are only 2 people in the world that have the right to humiliate, and that is mom and dad (or other family members that parents trust their kids with). This is clear that the coaches have HUGE egos. The need power over their players. And since they lost, their HUGE egos got bruised. It is clear! Instead of humiliating these boys, someone should teach you guys a lesson. You guys really need to take a strong look in the mirror and figure out why you are coaching. Is it to win or is it to help kids? By your actions Friday night, it looks like the former instead of the latter.
Disgusted

United States

#16 Apr 12, 2008
parent - if you don't like what the coaches did, go talk to them. You scared so you have to flog them via the blog? If you precious son is on the team, then take him off. You don't have any guts.
ktl

Kaneohe, HI

#17 Apr 13, 2008
when i was a student at punahou one of my teachers who was also a football or baseball coach..i wasnt a big sport fan...made me push chalk across the classroom floor with my nose cause i wasnt wearing the school colors on game day...talk about humiliation...I'll never forget that....weird..coulnt figure out why the administration let him get away with shit like that
freebird

Kaneohe, HI

#18 Apr 13, 2008
What's the big deal? So high school athletes had to walk a few miles. Who cares?
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#19 Apr 13, 2008
Disgusted wrote:
parent - if you don't like what the coaches did, go talk to them. You scared so you have to flog them via the blog? If you precious son is on the team, then take him off. You don't have any guts.
First of all I do not have a child on the team. Second, I have addressed the coaches at a booster banquet so that shows your ignorance and plain stupidity. I study children's behavior for a living and this type of corporal punishment isn't beneficial.

I could direct you to several medical and psychological journals that will support this notion. However, as demonstrated by your writing, that type of scholarly writing would be way over your head.
A Parent

Kailua, HI

#20 Apr 13, 2008
freebird wrote:
What's the big deal? So high school athletes had to walk a few miles. Who cares?
It's that type of ignorance that supports corporal punishment that breaks a child's self-worth. If they effort or attitude was that bad, then sit them down or bench them. But that was not done. Why do you ask? Winning is more important than anything. We win at all costs. Since winning hasn't been a premium this year for the team, the coaches are obviously frustrated and embarrassed. So, they are either desperate or just plain angry.

What does making kids walk home at night after a game and being at school all day accomplish? If the coaches are that great, shouldn't they be able to figure out an alternative that can accomplish the same goal without trying to humiliate them. At the banquet, that was the word being thrown around.

And if they are not playing up to their potential after so many months, isn't that a motivational thing? Do you really think that making kids walk and trying to purposely embarrass them will work when several of them already have locked up their scholarships while the rest of the senior will move on to bigger and better things next year?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Handsome Men of Hawaii (Mar '08) 25 min Buster Steinbeizer 148
Dogs in Hawaii Grocery Stores, in Carts-NoHeal... 3 hr Joe Balls 9
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Tue Snore 4 481
Poll Alice has worms. (Apr '10) Tue Stork Bird 4 268
News Micronesian in Hawaii (Aug '11) Aug 23 HbH 556
News Senate panel OKs a shorter extension for rail tax (Mar '15) Aug 23 HbH 9
News Tourists sue Crocs footwear, Waikiki hotel over... Aug 22 Francine 6

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance