Lee hands off play-calling duties - H...

Lee hands off play-calling duties - Hawaii Sports

There are 57 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 8, 2009, titled Lee hands off play-calling duties - Hawaii Sports. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Ron Lee has relinquished play-calling duties, but will continue as the Hawaii football team's offensive coordinator, Lee told the Star-Bulletin yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lee Needs to Go

Ewa Beach, HI

#1 Sep 8, 2009
Lee's play calling has been bothering me ever since he took over. Its about time!!!
Manoa

Honolulu, HI

#2 Sep 8, 2009
With the loss of Malcom Lane, we have very inexperienced wide receivers (slots with Salas and Pilares are fine).

The wideouts made mistakes and were confused against CA and got very few receptions (got the winning TD, though, set up by the passes to the slots). The need to fix and teach inexperienced wideouts as much as the play calling is behind this.
willieboy

Pearl City, HI

#3 Sep 8, 2009
the coaches need to go back and study tapes of june jones' play caling.
gib

Honolulu, HI

#4 Sep 8, 2009
Ron is a put into panic mode as a offensive cordinator. Same thing will never change,when he was at Saint Louis High School, It was his brothers Cal defense that made them so go. He will not make it.
football

Honolulu, HI

#5 Sep 8, 2009
The O-Line is terrible, doesn't matter what play you call if they can't pass protect or block.
Dman

San Diego, CA

#6 Sep 8, 2009
Finally now can we get some REAL play calling ?
local

Kailua, HI

#7 Sep 8, 2009
It's about time, Ron is not calling the plays. This is not high school or Div 1AA. Div 1 is too much for Ron to handle. I wonder when Cal is also going to give someone else to handle the defense?
o-line

Honolulu, HI

#8 Sep 8, 2009
Can someone please bribe Mike Cavanaugh to come back. We need him!
localandstaying

Honolulu, HI

#10 Sep 8, 2009
local wrote:
It's about time, Ron is not calling the plays. This is not high school or Div 1AA. Div 1 is too much for Ron to handle. I wonder when Cal is also going to give someone else to handle the defense?
The defense did their job considering the holes they were put in. The Left side of the o-line would collapse so quickly that they practically had a free shot on Alexander. Don't blame coach Cal. The defense is why we won this past game.
Bill

Honolulu, HI

#11 Sep 8, 2009
football wrote:
The O-Line is terrible, doesn't matter what play you call if they can't pass protect or block.
Did you say O-line? What O-line.
seariderz

Honolulu, HI

#12 Sep 8, 2009
gib wrote:
Ron is a put into panic mode as a offensive cordinator. Same thing will never change,when he was at Saint Louis High School, It was his brothers Cal defense that made them so go. He will not make it.
O.K. I am a searider ...and therfore dont like saint louieee.. but, you got to be missing some noodles if you gonna say that. Yes the defense was awesome...but, how in the world did the offense score as many points as they did, how did they get the yards that they did if the offense wasnt good?
seariderz

Honolulu, HI

#13 Sep 8, 2009
So how is lee going to "coach" the receivers in the sky box? don't you need to be next to them with your hand on their shoulder saying "eh boy, wrong direction you ran, next time pay attention!"

kinna hard to do that when you hanging out in the sky. come out of the clouds and coach. put the younger ones up there to scout and look for stuff.
Go Warriors

Honolulu, HI

#14 Sep 8, 2009
THANK GOD..it's about time!!!!...2 and 19 and the run is not working because of NO BLOCKING and Lee calls the shovel pass AGAIN!!! PLEASE!!! THROW THE BALL!!! This is not the Run and NO SHOOT offense!!! At then end of the game Lee is now being credit with the winning touchdown...Gimmie a break he ran the ball to the middle on 2 consecutive plays to set up a field goal!!!! He also wasted 2 time outs... once while he took too long to call in the play and time was running out on the play clock and the second when he was going to kick the extra point after the last touchdown when the whole stadium knew and was yelling go for 2!!!
On Friday night....Was beginning to call Mac...Vonmackin (as in Von Appen!!!)
kaipo

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 8, 2009
Feel kind of giddy about this move! God bless RL, but I really feel that this change will prove to be a shot in the arm for the O. Also feel that we haven't given Coach Shaw a fair chance to show what he can do .. yet! Cav was a great line coach, but he chose to leave, let's move on. Rolo was a great QB, if he had more time he would have been our all-time best or at least have given Colt a run for his money. Jim Leahey kind of summed it up when he said that AK is continuing where he left off last year. He IS the weakest link! WSU will be a good test for our team and the changes that have been made. Winning this week is very do-able, but we have to play a hell of a lot better than we did last week. GA has to stay in the pocket and make his reads. O-line has to give him the time he needs or Shaw has to make some changes ... fast. D was good, but need to improve also. They can be great!

Go Warriors!
Lolo head

Honolulu, HI

#16 Sep 8, 2009
game grades

offense

qb- Alexander- "D" 1st half-turnovers, "B" second half-winning drive- total "C".

rb- "D" no running game whatsoever from the rbs-Alexander scrambles showed a lack of good pass blocking from the oline.

receivers- only Salas (A) looked solid the other receivers (C-) couldn't get open.

oline- "D-", Estes must have been pissed that his coharts could block a lick.

defense

dline- "C-", struggled to plug the run gaps and couldn't make any penetration to the qb.

linebacking-# 53 (Soares) & #59 (Kiesel-Kauhane) both shined but Hawaii missed Braston Satele in the middle. "B" for the OLB- "D" for the MLB-overall "C".

secondary- "C-" didn't give any big plays but didn't cause any turnovers either.

coaching- "D" for the 1st half with the turnovers and poor play execution, B in the 2nd half and the comeback drive.

for the game- "C" very average game-need fixing in the oline, qback play and wide receivers. defense needs more play makers- dline was weak and middle linebackers disappeared.

Road trips will be tough- Wassu game is the only winnable game. UNLV & LaTech will probably be losses.

Since: Feb 09

Honolulu, HI

#17 Sep 8, 2009
willieboy wrote:
the coaches need to go back and study tapes of june jones' play caling.
willieboy,

that's the understatement of the year my friend.

i hope we get things rolling very soon on Offense
get real

Honolulu, HI

#18 Sep 8, 2009
I wonder if there was some finger pointing during the coaches meeting after Friday's game that led to RL relinquishing his position as the play caller.

Whatever the case, hope the Warriors can make the right adjustments to improve as the opposing teams are only going to get more competitive as each week passes. Good luck!

Go Warriors!
Go Bows

Kaneohe, HI

#19 Sep 8, 2009
Aint gonna give up on you HOGS any time soon!!! So if we had some early mishaps for the first game eh even the $100million dallors school go through it in the first few weeks. No excuses the DVD is clear, we recognize our faults, learn from it and move ON to becoming the best U.H. 2009 Team!!! All these wanna be AD, Head coaches...OOOOH Fah!!! ALL WAHA, yeah freedom of Speech My A S $ S $...All Yall BEEEEEahhhhCHESS!!

YALL CAN BOUNCE LIKE CAVAHNAH & JUNE JONESS!!! Jump Ships NOW because WE GOING ALL THE WAY!!! Washington State Watch Out!!!

THIS RAINBOW WARRIOR GOES SWIMMING WITH THE SHARKS!!!! Oline I believe in you guys like I believe in every other Warriors at their position out there.....Last time I checked US Warriors WON THE GAME, maybe UGLY but a WIN is a WIN, we learning.

GO Watch June Jones SMU and Cavs Beavers all you Phony Worryiors!!
kaimuki

Mililani, HI

#20 Sep 8, 2009
Since when do O-Line and QB coaches call plays. This is nuts. If Ron Lee, the O coordinator, isn't going to call plays any more, then what will we be paying him to do?
Bob

United States

#21 Sep 8, 2009
UH 2009 Wins and Losses.

W-2 L-11

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 10 hr Joe Balls 794
Wut Da Fuh? 11 hr District 1 10
my Friend in Hawaii should sue9 Hawaii for Meth... 13 hr Cal 18
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) Sat quisling 1,859
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) Sat Princess Hey 4,313
Don't Dump the Chump Trump Sat Joe Balls 11
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Sat Bobbit Boto 543

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance