Wahine's season alive another week - ...

Wahine's season alive another week - Sports News

There are 16 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 6, 2009, titled Wahine's season alive another week - Sports News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

LOS ANGELES>> Not a good blocking team? More like not good until it was needed. Some of it was luck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Bakuryu

Honolulu, HI

#1 Dec 6, 2009
Wahines are the bomb! I believe we can beat Illinois in three or four sets and then take on Stanford for a trip to the final four! Go Bows!
lolohead

San Diego, CA

#2 Dec 6, 2009
Congrats to the players, their coaches and to their families and loyal fans. Take a day off to relax and savor this sweet victory than back to the business at hand and continue the march. I was there to see you play a magnificent match...it was craaazy. I had to use the bathroom real bad but held off until the final block for the match than made a sprint to the bathroom. Whew, just made it. IMUA WAHINE...LET'S GO BOWS.
sickman fraud

San Diego, CA

#3 Dec 6, 2009
The victorious Wahine took the sting out of another lopsided loss of the football team. Perhaps AD Donovan should restructure Coach Mac's pay and reward Coach Shoji. Na Wahine are truly Warriors and represents the university well.
kazu

Kailua Kona, HI

#4 Dec 6, 2009
If you ask me i think Donovan is more a football person,and don't think the other sports mean as much to him.Just like the media everything is football or basketball.
ron

Wailuku, HI

#5 Dec 6, 2009
The stats do not give a clear picture of the contributions made by each member of the team at key points in the game. Hitting percentages aside, they got the ball down when it counted. Dave and staff out-coached Mick Haley who is top-notch. And of course, we have Kalani!
alice

United States

#6 Dec 6, 2009
volleyball is not a major sport hon.
HawaiiKaiGuy

Hilo, HI

#7 Dec 6, 2009
I'm a big volleyball fan as well as football. People have to realize that football is a major revenue producing sport. While volleyball generates it's own income, football basically makes up for other non revenue producing sports.

Although it was a disappointing year in football in comparison, in terms of wins and losses, to wahine volleyball; the revenue that football creates keeps a lot of non-revenue sports alive.

No offense to Coach Shoji, but from an executive management standpoint alone (head coaches); taking into consideration mid-management (asst. coaches) and sheer number of personnel (players), it's like running a Fortunate 500 company (Football) and a small business (Volleyball).

Albeit they are yielding different emotional results both sports pay their own way, but one also pays the way for others.
Volleyball Fan

Honolulu, HI

#8 Dec 6, 2009
My comment to Alice and HawaiiKaiGuy. I don't care if you think that volleyball is not a major sport. As a big volleyball fan and definitely not a football fan, I'm so glad that the volleyball team advanced and it doesn't hurt me one bit that football floundered. In fact, I wouldn't care if football demised altogether. It is a gladiator sport that causes so many injuries.

As for you, Alice, you probably don't appreciate and don't care for volleyball, but our volleyball fans are the best in the whole nation, no comparison, not even to Penn State, the perennial winner.

Since our team was still winning, you couldn't denigrate them except to downplay the sport. You'd probably do that even if they did the impossible and won a national championship.

We'll probably hear you gloat in their loss if it happens at any point before the national championship. You do that and you'll hear from me fast and furious. I'll cut you down mercilessly! At least they made it through the first round.
jmy

Mililani, HI

#9 Dec 6, 2009
alice wrote:
volleyball is not a major sport hon.
But you're a major doofus.
HawaiiKaiGuy

Hilo, HI

#10 Dec 6, 2009
Volleyball Fan wrote:
My comment to Alice and HawaiiKaiGuy. I don't care if you think that volleyball is not a major sport. As a big volleyball fan and definitely not a football fan, I'm so glad that the volleyball team advanced and it doesn't hurt me one bit that football floundered. In fact, I wouldn't care if football demised altogether. It is a gladiator sport that causes so many injuries.
As for you, Alice, you probably don't appreciate and don't care for volleyball, but our volleyball fans are the best in the whole nation, no comparison, not even to Penn State, the perennial winner.
Since our team was still winning, you couldn't denigrate them except to downplay the sport. You'd probably do that even if they did the impossible and won a national championship.
We'll probably hear you gloat in their loss if it happens at any point before the national championship. You do that and you'll hear from me fast and furious. I'll cut you down mercilessly! At least they made it through the first round.
Hey Volleyball Fan, do me a favor, bend over and pull the panties out of you know where; they're bunching up. I didn't say I that I thought that volleyball wasn't a major sport, I said that football is a major "revenue" producing sport. Both sports has its own importance, respectively, in UH. I, for one, enjoy both. I also can respect "why" one sport's importance vary from sport to sport. One doesn't demean the other. Like all sports, participants have a role. Do you think Stephanie Brandt enjoys coming off the bench for Dani? She knows her role, accepts it, and plays it well. Football and Volleyball have a role in UH, figure it out.
alice

United States

#11 Dec 7, 2009
alice wrote:
volleyball is not a major sport hon.
true...don't try to make it important
Bottle of rum

Mililani, HI

#12 Dec 7, 2009
Alice has worms.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#13 Dec 7, 2009
HawaiiKaiGuy wrote:
I'm a big volleyball fan as well as football. People have to realize that football is a major revenue producing sport. While volleyball generates it's own income, football basically makes up for other non revenue producing sports.
Although it was a disappointing year in football in comparison, in terms of wins and losses, to wahine volleyball; the revenue that football creates keeps a lot of non-revenue sports alive.
No offense to Coach Shoji, but from an executive management standpoint alone (head coaches); taking into consideration mid-management (asst. coaches) and sheer number of personnel (players), it's like running a Fortunate 500 company (Football) and a small business (Volleyball).
Albeit they are yielding different emotional results both sports pay their own way, but one also pays the way for others.
Up until the year the football team went to the sugar bowl, The football program was operating in the red. The Womens' volleyball team has consistently operated in the black. Get you facts straight before you claim the football team has been making up for other non-revenue generating sports when in fact the have been the largest waste of money in the UH athletics program.
HawaiiKaiGuy

Hilo, HI

#14 Dec 7, 2009
KAzman wrote:
<quoted text>Up until the year the football team went to the sugar bowl, The football program was operating in the red. The Womens' volleyball team has consistently operated in the black. Get you facts straight before you claim the football team has been making up for other non-revenue generating sports when in fact the have been the largest waste of money in the UH athletics program.
Quote from the Advertiser: "In the past fiscal year, UH credited football with bringing in $10,556,500 to the department through ticket sales, media rights, sponsorships, donations and other sources, officials said. That accounted for approximately 37 percent of the department's revenue. Its $3,169,000 profit helps underwrite six to eight sports that don't bring in revenue."
You can't base your "ass"umptions on a pick and choose mentality. You need to look at the overall picture. UH would never be able to maintain their current NCAA status without football; the same cannot be said about volleyball. Cash is king...football brings in the type of cash flow that can't be matched by other sports.
HawaiiKaiGuy

Hilo, HI

#15 Dec 7, 2009
KAzman wrote:
<quoted text>Up until the year the football team went to the sugar bowl, The football program was operating in the red. The Womens' volleyball team has consistently operated in the black. Get you facts straight before you claim the football team has been making up for other non-revenue generating sports when in fact the have been the largest waste of money in the UH athletics program.
Furthermore, UH football was instrumental in recently bringing sponsorship from Under Armour. Although it was brokered for football other UH sports benefited from this deal. Your argument is apples and oranges. When volleyball can accomplish such a thing, I'll wear your panties.

Oh by the way, I got a message from Volleyball fan, I was told that he/she has a great technique of how to unbunch those darn panties. Give her/him a call, I'm sure that you could benefit from the advice.
LOL

Kihei, HI

#16 Dec 7, 2009
Bottle of rum wrote:
Alice has worms.
Eeeeeew, alice!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 59 min Joe Balls 1,791
Hawaii will soon be for the ultra rich ONLY 1 hr Joe Balls 53
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 2 hr District 1 4,294
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 2 hr District 1 439
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) 2 hr District 1 502
Obama was the worst President ever 2 hr Hillary LOST 8
Yuk yuk yuk yuk (Apr '15) 23 hr Fly the Unfriendl... 78

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages