Letters to the editor - Letters

Letters to the editor - Letters

There are 30 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 31, 2009, titled Letters to the editor - Letters. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I would like to comment about the illegal fireworks situation we are currently encountering.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hawaii 50

Nashville, TN

#1 Dec 31, 2009
Mr. G: There's no money in "prevention". It's all about "disease management".
They should use that name in place of "Hospital".
Arsenio Ramirez Pelayo

Honolulu, HI

#2 Dec 31, 2009
2009 will fade into the past, like a rose
Which is not meant to last…
But, all years past will bloom
For eternity in our hearts and memories.

As the New Year will fill our hearts
With precious prosperity

Happy New Year

Arsenio Ramirez Pelayo
kalli

Honolulu, HI

#3 Dec 31, 2009
Sara-Anne Lee, hurry back to Hawaii we need you to chip in your $5000 to pay for the construction of rail and pay the increased property taxes to pay for the operation of rail. Then you can ride it to get your favorite plate lunch if you can still afford one.
willie

Farmington, MI

#4 Dec 31, 2009
"New Year's pain from botched bill"

Gee Gary do you really think adding MORE laws to the exisiting ones about fireworks is going to do anything? You could have a million laws but if the police do not enforce them what good are they?
Keith Haugen

AOL

#5 Dec 31, 2009
Aloha:

A law banning all fireworks would be a good start. But we have so many criminals here that some would find a way to build the bombs anyway.

What we need to do is to confiscate the jumbo jets and container ships that bring in the contraband.

That would stop the "wannabe" terrorists from building bombs to set off in our neighborhoods.

I can't believe they allowed a terrorist-in-training who carried explosive into Honolulu Airport, to continue on his flight to Korea. That just encourages local criminals who carry the explosives on inter-island flights, even in checked baggage.

The present law is unenforceable. Ask the police and they will tell you.

And the airlines and shipping lines don't seem to care one bit.

Me ka pono,

Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu War Zone
BangMyHead

Honolulu, HI

#6 Dec 31, 2009
Sara-Anne Lee,
If you notice the difference in land mass from Pennsylvania to Oahu you can justify the need for rail however, your apples and oranges cannot compare so your support of rail on an island is nuts. Give us more details of the type of rail used in Pittsburgh, cost of per ride, how many miles, and how much did it cost to construct it. Do you know how much it will cost here and for only 20 miles? LOL Do some research before you mouth off and since you don't live here anymore, and don't have to pay for it, I suggest you move back here and help us out with your kindly donations to the white elephant.
More idiots

Honolulu, HI

#7 Dec 31, 2009
BangMyHead wrote:
Sara-Anne Lee,
If you notice the difference in land mass from Pennsylvania to Oahu you can justify the need for rail however, your apples and oranges cannot compare so your support of rail on an island is nuts. Give us more details of the type of rail used in Pittsburgh, cost of per ride, how many miles, and how much did it cost to construct it. Do you know how much it will cost here and for only 20 miles? LOL Do some research before you mouth off and since you don't live here anymore, and don't have to pay for it, I suggest you move back here and help us out with your kindly donations to the white elephant.
So now anti-rail people are bashing college students giving their opinion bringing up stupid comparisons between cities that have had rail for years and one planning rail. Is that what you have stooped to. Why does she need to do research? She just stated she enjoys using rail where she is at & would use rail if it were here. She offered an opinion. You offered your ingorance.
More idiots

Honolulu, HI

#8 Dec 31, 2009
kalli wrote:
Sara-Anne Lee, hurry back to Hawaii we need you to chip in your $5000 to pay for the construction of rail and pay the increased property taxes to pay for the operation of rail. Then you can ride it to get your favorite plate lunch if you can still afford one.
I'm sorry, I've never seen your $5,000 number. Why? Because you made it up kalli. Maybe you should educate yourself on the facts before you make things up and repeat bad information. Anti-rail people like to make things up since they have nothing else to go on. I mean, why should they need things like facts when they can think up the number $5,000 so quickly.
Hawaii For Change

Honolulu, HI

#9 Dec 31, 2009
What a bunch of hypocrites you complainers are about fireworks. From following these Letters to the Editors you start to find out the same people write complaining about everything in the news. Now you want sponsored fireworks only - well let me tell you about the traffic this causes and the waste of gas when people are stuck. Can you imagine the poisonous gases released into the air from the traffic? What about the waste of precious gas from people sitting in traffic? How's about the amount of rubbish generated from these events, isn't that anti green? Did you ever consider the crime this kinds of event create like car theft, robbery, sexual misconduct, pick pockets, food that makes you sick, unsanitary bathrooms spreading germs and swine flu?

How do I know? I lived in states with sponsored only fireworks and yes crime and diseases loves these events. You want something to complain about? Just wait folks because these same compulsive complainers will be there stuck in traffic wasting gas and giving out tons of poisonous fumes and leaving their trash behind telling you what a great time they had but....(the new complaints start up again)
Living in America

Mililani, HI

#10 Dec 31, 2009
I am not a whiner! I hate these bombs going off since Thanksgiving. I live in the McCully area and it goes off at 10 pm, 1 am, 3 am and you're telling me I shouldn't be concerned? I'm sick and tired of these illegal fireworks. Yes, I go around the neighborhood and tell them to respect the laws and other people's peace and quiet. I will do everything I can to ban fireworks in Hawaii. Tradition or not, I want it banned!!!! Raise the permits to $250 or more. More penalty and fines, not just a mere $250. Make it so expensive that if you're stupid enough to burn money, go for it. The more money you attach to this kind of enforecement, the more money the state makes.
Samuel

Kailua, HI

#11 Dec 31, 2009
Oh Gary, remember it's CULLLLLTURAL.

Some culture. To torment and terrorize people and animals thru out the night with ear splitting bombs.
Living in America

Mililani, HI

#12 Dec 31, 2009
Hawaii For Change wrote:
What a bunch of hypocrites you complainers are about fireworks. From following these Letters to the Editors you start to find out the same people write complaining about everything in the news. Now you want sponsored fireworks only - well let me tell you about the traffic this causes and the waste of gas when people are stuck. Can you imagine the poisonous gases released into the air from the traffic? What about the waste of precious gas from people sitting in traffic? How's about the amount of rubbish generated from these events, isn't that anti green? Did you ever consider the crime this kinds of event create like car theft, robbery, sexual misconduct, pick pockets, food that makes you sick, unsanitary bathrooms spreading germs and swine flu?
How do I know? I lived in states with sponsored only fireworks and yes crime and diseases loves these events. You want something to complain about? Just wait folks because these same compulsive complainers will be there stuck in traffic wasting gas and giving out tons of poisonous fumes and leaving their trash behind telling you what a great time they had but....(the new complaints start up again)
So we should also ban cars on the roads on New Year's Eve?

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

#13 Dec 31, 2009
They were talking about building bombs using dry ice and plastic soda bottles this morning. Other homemade concoctions were also discussed. These use everyday materials. Another law isn't going to ban them. People have to be more respectful.

Frankly, if these people have to let out these energies I'd rather have them use firecrackers (which produce paper shrapnel) rather than be hit by plastic from an exploding soda bottle.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#14 Dec 31, 2009
Mufi will be long gone when the fiscal disaster hits the city

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 09

Kailua, HI

#15 Dec 31, 2009
interesting that the thread on the Limbaugh article disappeared by mid-morning.
butch

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jan 1, 2010
cruiselady wrote:
interesting that the thread on the Limbaugh article disappeared by mid-morning.
I am a shamed to say that my first reaction was good for that SOB, ignorant, radical, militant. He makes the US look bad.
butch

Honolulu, HI

#17 Jan 1, 2010
Kauakea wrote:
They were talking about building bombs using dry ice and plastic soda bottles this morning. Other homemade concoctions were also discussed. These use everyday materials. Another law isn't going to ban them. People have to be more respectful.
Frankly, if these people have to let out these energies I'd rather have them use firecrackers (which produce paper shrapnel) rather than be hit by plastic from an exploding soda bottle.
your stupid!!!!!!!!!!1
butch

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jan 1, 2010
Hawaii 50 wrote:
Mr. G: There's no money in "prevention". It's all about "disease management".
They should use that name in place of "Hospital".
Your an A-hole!!
butch

Honolulu, HI

#19 Jan 1, 2010
Living in America wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should also ban cars on the roads on New Year's Eve?
Your an a__!!!
butch

Honolulu, HI

#20 Jan 1, 2010
alice wrote:
Mufi will be long gone when the fiscal disaster hits the city
Come on Alice, you know you want Mufi. All you have in your life is making comments on this pitiful rag. So don't ack like you aren't atracted to Mufi.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dissappearing Flight MH370 (Mar '14) 3 min District 1 223
Another Minnesota A-hole who thinks he knows wh... 5 min District 1 19
Nibiru, Planet X just Revealed 39 min Joe Balls 3
Turkish army launch series of airstrikes agains... 42 min Joe Balls 3
China’s crusade to remove crosses from churches 44 min Joe Balls 3
What Hawaii is really like. (Jan '08) 3 hr Joe Balls 245
Man Saves A 375 Pound Black Bear From Drowning 7 hr Joe Balls 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages