Man shot dead was trying to turn life around - Hawaii News

Shawn Powell, formerly known as Shawn Avilla, had a lengthy criminal history, but a friend said he was trying to clean up his life, a life cut short Friday morning in a Keeamoku St. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Da kind

Honolulu, HI

#1 Aug 2, 2009
I find it hard to believe, shot in the parking lot of a bar. He was trying to get his life back together. Something here doesn't make since, you hang around those kind of places till all hours of the night, you're asking for trouble.
Kehau

Worth, IL

#2 Aug 2, 2009
Funny how they always seem to be "turning their lives around" after they are dead or after they are sentenced..I totally agree with Da kind. I think there is more to this.are these guys from a His Panic gang?
the thai kid

Bangkok, Thailand

#3 Aug 2, 2009
you know its not easy getting out of jail being a father of 4 but apparently there was a arguement and confrontation and now he is dead.......Was Mr. Powell on parole or probation? this situation is pure violence and hawaii the land of aloha just doesnt gave a dam....i mean there are so many victums guns and criminals ...wouldn't you think hawaii would have capital punishment...the courts in hawaii the police they can be held more accountable because they allow the violence to grow ....they never rehabilitate the criminals they just punish them.....making them go out and commit more criminal acts of violence....hawaii courts are pathetic the criminal justice is a money making enterprize for the stateof hawaii and the taxpayers have tppay for everything i as a citizen believe hawaii should execute this person who killed and murdered mr.powell ...by executing this cold blooded murder the taxpayers can save money.....case closed
dewdalohajoey

United States

#4 Aug 2, 2009
the thai kid wrote:
you know its not easy getting out of jail being a father of 4 but apparently there was a arguement and confrontation and now he is dead.......Was Mr. Powell on parole or probation? this situation is pure violence and hawaii the land of aloha just doesnt gave a dam....i mean there are so many victums guns and criminals ...wouldn't you think hawaii would have capital punishment...the courts in hawaii the police they can be held more accountable because they allow the violence to grow ....they never rehabilitate the criminals they just punish them.....making them go out and commit more criminal acts of violence....hawaii courts are pathetic the criminal justice is a money making enterprize for the stateof hawaii and the taxpayers have tppay for everything i as a citizen believe hawaii should execute this person who killed and murdered mr.powell ...by executing this cold blooded murder the taxpayers can save money.....case closed
Yes, one PAD to go.
Richard

Mount Pleasant, SC

#5 Aug 2, 2009
Maybe Deleon was Powell's guidance councelor and they decided to meet at a bar at 4 in the morning to discuss his future. And Deleon had to shoot Powell to keep him from going on the wrong path. Right. Turning his life around. I don't think so.
nope

Pearl City, HI

#6 Aug 2, 2009
since the birth of my first child, I have never been out all night one single time, you don't turn your life around after having children

the day that first child is born, your life is supposed to be turned around at that moment

anything else is just unacceptable excuses
dewdalohajoey

United States

#7 Aug 2, 2009
Da guy is dead. Give em some respect for one day.
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

#8 Aug 2, 2009
dewdalohajoey wrote:
Da guy is dead. Give em some respect for one day.
Respect is NOT something given. It's something that IS earned. Four kids and he's still a criminal. Pleeze! Meanwhile who supports those 4 children? Who paid to keep him in prison? Who fed, clothed and provided a place for him to sleep? The taxpayers, that's who. You want my respect become a contributing member of society. Support your children. CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING!
dewdalohajoey

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2009
nope wrote:
since the birth of my first child, I have never been out all night one single time, you don't turn your life around after having children
the day that first child is born, your life is supposed to be turned around at that moment
anything else is just unacceptable excuses
Note to guys: Da best ting about having kids, is making dem.
Dumb and Dumber

Honolulu, HI

#10 Aug 2, 2009
Just goes to show. On the bright side, got rid of two of that kind. One gone and the other soon to be gone.

The moment of bravado and making tough guy, firing rounds into the air, makes for drama so popular in that hip-hop scene.

But after the curtain falls, and the audience leaves with the trial over, the convict is left alone to ponder the waste he has left behind and what has become of his sorry existence on Planet Earth.

Do good. Work hard. Be Honest. Help People.

Keep it simple.
Not born yesterday

Honolulu, HI

#11 Aug 2, 2009
I agree with Da Kind. You take your chances at bars where people are drinking and some are into illegal drugs. The bars around Rycroft are notorious for people looking to "score" illegal drugs. And the cars parked around there get broken into by the vultures ripping off cars to make money for their illegal junk.

Safer for people to meet with their friends' home and drink.
Surfbot

Mililani, HI

#12 Aug 2, 2009
Kehau wrote:
Funny how they always seem to be "turning their lives around" after they are dead or after they are sentenced..I totally agree with Da kind. I think there is more to this.are these guys from a His Panic gang?
And they always say about the shooter, "he was a good boy".
Surfbot

Mililani, HI

#13 Aug 2, 2009
Not born yesterday wrote:
I agree with Da Kind. You take your chances at bars where people are drinking and some are into illegal drugs. The bars around Rycroft are notorious for people looking to "score" illegal drugs. And the cars parked around there get broken into by the vultures ripping off cars to make money for their illegal junk.
Safer for people to meet with their friends' home and drink.
Drink with friends at home...... get drunk, argue and then be killed by a friend in your own home. It happens all the time. Stop drinking.
sdb1147

Kent, WA

#14 Aug 2, 2009
Trying to "turn your life around" doesn't mean drinking at a bar at 4:00 AM in the morning. He was obviously still hanging around with 'bad guys'. You sow what you reap.

Hopefully, his children will learn from this and grow up to become good citizens.
McCain

Ewa Beach, HI

#15 Aug 2, 2009
Turning his life around, LOL. Hanging out in sleazy bars all hours of the night. No mention of him having a real job. Was he turning his life around. 180 degress or was it 360 degrees?
Lord Haha

Makawao, HI

#16 Aug 2, 2009
The deceased was a well know criminal. He spent time in Prison. He has cost our society tens of thousands of dollars because of his conduct. He has four dependant children. They will need public assistance. More State dollars and resources heading in that direction.

His lifestle is dangerous and his friends are questionable. Drinking with 8 friends at 4:00 am
in a dangerous area is not what family men do.

Did he have daytime job? Doubtful. No pity.
Kalani

Makawao, HI

#17 Aug 2, 2009
Hallums...he's a good brother. You helped get him killed. "do anything for he boys". Right.

How as he as a father?

Thugs, guns and drugs. "A good brother".

Hallums..who do you think you are kidding?
nanakulimama

Honolulu, HI

#18 Aug 2, 2009
How sad that a man gets shot dead in a parking garage in the wee hours of the morning and gets dissed. Why? Because he's an ex-felon. Not only that but some of his people say he was trying to turn his life around and people jump all over that as well. Was he working, what was he doing there that hour of the morning? etc...Come on people the man is dead..at least give him the benefit of the doubt. Or are you all so perfect that you don't have to watch your p's and q's? I know I'm not perfect and never will be. My condolences go out to Mr Powell and his ohana. May God bless and keep them safe.
lolking

Ewa Beach, HI

#19 Aug 2, 2009
Maybe Mcmackin can send a few dollars to the family
Difficult Times

United States

#20 Aug 2, 2009
It is what it is. The best thing to come out of this is that the street justice help eliminate two person of highly questionable character. There is an old saying, the only people out late in the wee hours are C and C = Cops and Crooks. Perhaps more of these street justice needs to prevail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up 1 hr Violet 7
John Kerry: We have a Biblical a responsibility... 2 hr Joe Balls 44
Court tosses Obamacare mandate lawsuit brought ... 7 hr JRB 2
70-640 Exam study materials 7 hr passokay123 1
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 12 hr up yours 61,814
Gangs in Hawaii (Oct '07) 13 hr Zzzikaikazzz 724
What is wrong with Micronesian people? (May '08) 13 hr Zzzikaikazzz 202
•••
•••
•••