Waianae will rely on workhorse Kekoanui

Waianae will rely on workhorse Kekoanui

There are 61 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 10, 2008, titled Waianae will rely on workhorse Kekoanui. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

It doesn't matter, at least in the eyes of prep football fans statewide, that Waianae has 14 starting positions open.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
joemover

Brisbane, Australia

#1 Aug 10, 2008
WAIANAES TRADITION...BEST PEOPLE ON DEFENSE UNTIL O COMES AROUND...ONE GAME AT A TIME AND OIA CHAMPIONSHIP IS TOTALLY MAIN GOAL...WHEN YOU PUT ON THAT UNIFORM YOU MAKE TINGS HAPPEN...IMUA WAIANAE
lale

Sun City West, AZ

#2 Aug 10, 2008
workhorse?! wtf haole?
lale-pop

United States

#3 Aug 10, 2008
eh "workhorse" is a term used in sports all the time describing an athlete who shoulders a big load to help his or her team succeed.

why you making lidat lale?? ignorant fool you are.
OIA Coach

Mililani, HI

#4 Aug 11, 2008
#6 in the state is very high. Kaimuki more than held up against Waianae in the controlled scrimmage. Yes Waianae rotated in a lot of players, some big plays were against 2nd and 3rd string, but Kaimuki looked kind of explosive. Red East schools, Kaimuki isn't going to be a cakewalk, unless they get blasted by grades (which could happen). If they can stay eligible, watch for them to be a strong force in the East, especially with coach DJ and his innovative offensive playcalling. Waianae does have a nasty D-line, no doubt gotta be one of the best units in the state. Kekoanui is the real deal, the coaches just need to get him the ball (at least 25+ touches a game), let the kid carry about 15-20 times, catch a few, and return kicks. He could be the best utility player in the state. Definitely their biggest playmaker on offense, hopefully the coaches will utilize him to his potential, especially against the tougher teams. BTW, this week they play Farrington, Punahou is the following week Aug 23rd at Punahou.

Since: Jul 08

Camp Coiner

#5 Aug 11, 2008
OIA Coach wrote:
#6 in the state is very high. Kaimuki more than held up against Waianae in the controlled scrimmage. Yes Waianae rotated in a lot of players, some big plays were against 2nd and 3rd string, but Kaimuki looked kind of explosive. Red East schools, Kaimuki isn't going to be a cakewalk, unless they get blasted by grades (which could happen). If they can stay eligible, watch for them to be a strong force in the East, especially with coach DJ and his innovative offensive playcalling. Waianae does have a nasty D-line, no doubt gotta be one of the best units in the state. Kekoanui is the real deal, the coaches just need to get him the ball (at least 25+ touches a game), let the kid carry about 15-20 times, catch a few, and return kicks. He could be the best utility player in the state. Definitely their biggest playmaker on offense, hopefully the coaches will utilize him to his potential, especially against the tougher teams. BTW, this week they play Farrington, Punahou is the following week Aug 23rd at Punahou.
Confused. If the football season is over before the 2nd qtr of the school year starts, how can a team lose a player for grades, when the quarter is not over?

#6 is very high. What?
Are you saying Waianae is over rated big time?
What teams are better than Waianae?
Kahuku, Leilehua, Punahou, St Louis and ...
Kamehameha, maybe...
Castle, don't know...
#6 maybe not high at all, maybe you drink to much budweiser and not enough perfect water...cheya
http://www.drinkperfectwater.com/
Kamakani _Puu_Y-N-I-OG

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Aug 11, 2008
OIA Coach wrote:
Kamakani Puu is confused by this coach DJ (OIA coach)are you trying to say that they dont deserve #6 or are you saying a controlled scrimmage for kaimuki was there championship game ?i dont get it....?but then at the end you complimented Waianae D and there running game.....?thats why they call it controlled scimmage of course youre going to hold your own.

Kamakani Puu

(controlling the line of scrimmage!)
Kamakani _Puu_Y-N-I-OG

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Aug 11, 2008
Kamakani Puu has been a big Waianae supporter and fan since the late 70s this past few years has not gone so well for the seariders.Kamakani Puu belives we need a big change its time to replace this four eyed gecko this guy has been running the same plays since the the 1960s .Kamakani Puu feels like the younger breed of coaches would suite the talent that Waianae Has well hopefully Bryant G can open things up on the offensive side of the ball.Because we all know our defense has been holding this team up this past few years.

Kamakani Puu
(like obama said make a "CHANGE"!)
OIA coach

Honolulu, HI

#8 Aug 11, 2008
badayu wrote:
<quoted text>
Confused. If the football season is over before the 2nd qtr of the school year starts, how can a team lose a player for grades, when the quarter is not over?
#6 is very high. What?
Are you saying Waianae is over rated big time?
What teams are better than Waianae?
Kahuku, Leilehua, Punahou, St Louis and ...
Kamehameha, maybe...
Castle, don't know...
#6 maybe not high at all, maybe you drink to much budweiser and not enough perfect water...cheya
http://www.drinkperfectwater.com/
If you didn't make grades from last year's fourth quarter, you are on academic probabtion. You need to pass grade checks every two weeks to stay eligible. This is where the grades could kick in, on Waianae's side as well. They hold up their grades for quarters 1-3, but slack off in quarter 4 because sports are done, except for the track and baseball guys. Like always I expect Waianae to be in the thick of things, but #6 is high for a preseason poll, with them having lost so much to graduation and many question marks. Hopefully the quarterback stays eligible for the reason mentioned above.
OIA coach

Honolulu, HI

#9 Aug 11, 2008
Kamakani _Puu_Y-N-I-OG wrote:
Kamakani Puu has been a big Waianae supporter and fan since the late 70s this past few years has not gone so well for the seariders.Kamakani Puu belives we need a big change its time to replace this four eyed gecko this guy has been running the same plays since the the 1960s .Kamakani Puu feels like the younger breed of coaches would suite the talent that Waianae Has well hopefully Bryant G can open things up on the offensive side of the ball.Because we all know our defense has been holding this team up this past few years.
Kamakani Puu
(like obama said make a "CHANGE"!)
The "four-eyed gecko" hasn't been calling the plays for sometime. It's a myth. But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Offensive playcalling doesn't change much because when you get former Waianae football players coaching, you get the same philosophy and mentality. Bryant G has been calling the offensive plays the last 2 years, if there was any possibility of scoring 2-3TDs a game, Waianae would have 2 state titles with the defenses they've had. At least the old-school plays could work and score TDs. They trying to get too fancy, too much trap blocking. Imagine Kekoanui running behind the old wishbone formation with 2 fullbacks every play. Then run a little bootleg with Napierala. They need to just KISS it...K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid.

Since: Aug 08

Lihue, HI

#10 Aug 11, 2008
polls is just for people who don't have a life and nothing else to talk about. Like all coaches who make comments about polls, only poll is who is first at the end of the season. Same as political polls.
Young Boy

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Aug 11, 2008
Waianae's prehistoric offense is their downfall. Matsu needs to go and Waianae needs a young offensive mind calling plays.They don't know how to utilize their speed and skill players. Remember Gus Spragling in the early 90's?...He could have been their Reggie Bush, but they always fail to utilize speed and skill, opting for power.

Lose your head, then you worry.
OIA coach

Honolulu, HI

#12 Aug 11, 2008
Young Boy wrote:
Waianae's prehistoric offense is their downfall. Matsu needs to go and Waianae needs a young offensive mind calling plays.They don't know how to utilize their speed and skill players. Remember Gus Spragling in the early 90's?...He could have been their Reggie Bush, but they always fail to utilize speed and skill, opting for power.
Lose your head, then you worry.
That brings back memories, Gus Spragling, I agree he could have been Reggie Bush before Reggie Bush. It will happen one day, when Waianae will run a spread offense, like those seen at West Virginia, Oregon, South Florida, Florida, etc. It may take a while, just like flushing out crap in your pipes that have settled for years, but eventually it gets cleaned, as will the coaching staff.
paloha

Puyallup, WA

#13 Aug 11, 2008
Pride and Tradition is what makes Waianae consistently one of the most feared and respected football programs in the state.
Kamakani _Puu_Y-N-I-OG

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Aug 12, 2008
paloha wrote:
Pride and Tradition is what makes Waianae consistently one of the most feared and respected football programs in the state.
Tradition & pride is why we are in the posistion we are in today .Just like OIA coach said if we put 2 or 3 TDs up this past two years in the playoffs we would be champs.Kamakani Puu loves Waianae tradition but belives its time to take a step into the the 21st century put some points up cause we always got and always will have a strong D we just got to change our offensive schemes.

Kamakani Puu

(dont work for century 21)
JumBoi

Oberdischingen, Germany

#15 Aug 12, 2008
yes I wish my beloved alma mater the very best in the coming football season..for the good of the peoples & to eliminate the pilau bad lable that it has recieved...still get maka'i peoples over there...down w/the drug problems...up with the goodness & alohaness of the leeward side mana'o
Young Boy

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Aug 12, 2008
Waianae's run first mentality surprises nobody. They teach power and defense. With all the athletic players that come through every year, they refuse to bring out any passing schemes. Like OIA Coach said, you need more than a field goal to win titles. Waianae will continue to hold opponents to 7 or 12 points, but if they score six, it is all pointless. Matsu needs an offensive play book with more than one page.
cuzzin

United States

#17 Aug 12, 2008
Good Luck to the Waianae Seariders this season, The controlled scrimage agaisnt kaimuki and iolani was awsome , all teams took advantage of it ,both waianae offense and defense was looking real good, middle linebacker Chivas Paris' has power, and speed, a D-lineman Eleu Wilson getting through quick, both only juniors.
searider

Bakersfield, CA

#18 Aug 13, 2008
Imua Seariders! I am a graduate and feel the same frustration as expressed above about the offense not being as productive as years past. the misdirection/veer type offense in my opinion has not been as effective as the triple option or even the power back offenses of the late 80's. a perfect example during one of the late games with st. louis...the offense just straight wedge blocked and blow up the line, we made yards...as soon as we get into this veer offense and misdirection plays with pulling lineman, we get eating up by other teams. another example is when we actually scored the most points against st. louie....we went to the shotgun formation and aired it out...i forget the year...we still lost, but we never scored that many points against st louie........my simple point is....Waianae has the speed....Waianae has the talent....Use it! remember when David Tafiti was given the ball and told run over people and the line just down blocked....the guy averaged 10 yards a carry. I will always have Searider pride!! I would just like to see the offense open up and let the kids dominate....out with what doesnt work and focus on what could...

Imua Seariders!
all nutz 81

United States

#19 Aug 14, 2008
waianae's offense has been coming up short for the past few years, thats no doubt? who is the play caller? muts or ginoza's son? whoever it is ? they suck! with the talent we have on offense ' we should be marching down the field everytime we touch the ball, and for gods sake someone help these talented kids get to the next level' college, make them belive they can make it , discipline,respect,hard work everyday.
to the offense coaches, read all these comments,someone tell them about this page.
Kamakani _Puu_Y-N-I-OG

Las Vegas, NV

#20 Aug 15, 2008
Kamakani Puu agrees with this Searider.It killed Kamakani Puu to watch & listen to the games online we were there in the playoffs and Kamakani Puu could call out what play was next, because its the same plays they ran in the 70s,80s,90s don’t know if it was good for Kamakani Puu health .Blood pressure was off the Hook. Please open it up use June Jones for example look how junk Hawaii was until he opened it up Kamakani Puu is not saying that we need to follow exactly what they did but damn after 11 years of not having a OIA championship and 30years of not having a prep bowl title yes its been 1978 since we haven’t won a prep bowl Kamakani Puu is begging to think that MR G is really the guy calling the shots and the four eyed gecko is just his puppet.....Wake up coaches we need a change. we got the talent !

Kamakami Puu

(We can Match talent)
Here are just a few excuse da spelling

boyd yap /Kurt Goveia
Garret Gaberial /Bryant Ginoza
nick maafala/Fiamalu Penetani
Maa tanuvasa/Frank Molina
timmy chang/glenn Fretis
Tito rivera/Jimbo Ongory
Tupu Alu Alu/David Tafiti
john hao/kekoa keuhiokalani
darnell arsennoux/Pava Pagofie (Most talented QB that no one knew about)
Cris Maafala/Wes kaliekipi

just to name a few i can go on all day long .....Kamakani Puu forgot this one Nate Jackson or Cris Pagofie could have been on Poamalu Level if it was not for a sickness and a few mistakes by Cris so wake up coaches we have the talent use it to the best.IMUA SEARIDERS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WTF? Ward Theatre! 4 min district 1 shower... 3
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 9 min District 1 800
Trump or Hillary 27 min Joe Balls 180
Vote Djou!! 1 hr American_Infidel 1
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 3,332
Keauhou Boy Lend Billy Bob some of your Mango M... 13 hr District 1 1
Har har har har (Apr '14) 15 hr Siegfried 127

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance