Comments
1,461 - 1,480 of 3,660 Comments Last updated Jul 21, 2014
adobo

Honolulu, HI

#1476 Mar 26, 2008
Leimamo wrote:
While on the subject of the Honolulu Stadium and Moilili, drove on King Street last Saturday and saw that Hula Supply Center (right across from old stadium site - now Stadium Park) closed down. The place is now empty. That store has been there for ages. Got all my hula implements and supplies from there. Sad to see it closed!
I remember my mother taking my sister to buy her huls stuffs as well. Sad to see the old time establishments disapperaring.
adobo

Honolulu, HI

#1477 Mar 26, 2008
nubi wrote:
A few years ago I read a book called "Where Hawaii Played". It was a history of Honolulu Stadium. There was a house Dreier Manor where Chunky's was and homerun balls would land there. And if you've seen the First Hawaiian Bank that is currently on the Chunky's site, you'll see a baseball diamond motif in its design. It's a nice tribute to the Old Stadium.
I have that book "Honolul Stadium: Where Hawaii Played" book by Arthur Suehiro which was released in 1995. My uncle Pipi has a lot of photos in that book.

Talking about the First Hawaiian Bank in Moilili you can see Uncle Pipi's photo of Elvis Presley when Elvis performed at the Honolulu Stadium in 1957.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#1478 Mar 26, 2008
alice wrote:
How did you all survive those years? Why weren't you protesting injustices like the Vietnam war? I just see how easily co-opted you were by commercial capitalism.
Well put.
Miss Mahukona

Honolulu, HI

#1479 Mar 26, 2008
I remember the Glades, Tin Tin Chop Suey on Maunakea Street and the gypsy booths, and Bill Lederer's on Hotel Street.
Prince Hanalei

Honolulu, HI

#1480 Mar 26, 2008
I once performed at The Glades.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#1481 Mar 26, 2008
Yikes..the Glades..i can just imagine that..oh yuck.
Meridian Man

Meridian, ID

#1482 Mar 26, 2008
Checkers and Pogo
Goody Goody Ice Cream by the Old Stadium
Big Time Wrestling at the Civic Auditorium
Bob Seevey, Bob Jones, Tim Tindall, and Joe Moore all on Channel 9
Loyal Garner hosting the Jerry Lewis telethon every year
Kaimuki Theater
Zane's Market
Kam School vs. Waianae in the Prep Bowl
George Helm
Rap Replinger's -Poi Dog album
The HIC before it was Blaisdell
Fasi the Mayor forever, it seemed
I'm sure there is more
bumbye

Haiku, HI

#1484 Mar 26, 2008
Miss Mahukona wrote:
I remember the Glades, Tin Tin Chop Suey on Maunakea Street and the gypsy booths, and Bill Lederer's on Hotel Street.
Alexandra the Great 48 at Club Hubba Hubba. The ad was in the sports section of the newspapers.
Translator

Lahaina, HI

#1485 Mar 26, 2008
Prince Hanalei wrote:
I once performed at The Glades.
MORE than once, I'd say...
Claire

Honolulu, HI

#1486 Mar 26, 2008
bumbye wrote:
<quoted text>
Alexandra the Great 48 at Club Hubba Hubba. The ad was in the sports section of the newspapers.
I remember as a kid my older brother getting whacked by my dad for performing an "act" over the sports section where these ads were. LOL
zona

Lihue, HI

#1487 Mar 26, 2008
Lork wrote:
<quoted text>
dunno, what HAWP had at least two deaths so far.
True...if I am not mistaken one of them was a lifeguard.
mungy

Waipahu, HI

#1488 Mar 26, 2008
Whatever happened to Nancy and Teddy Tanaka? What about Freddy and Moku Kahana (I think that was his name)? He was the guy with the local puppet?
adobo

United States

#1489 Mar 26, 2008
mungy wrote:
Whatever happened to Nancy and Teddy Tanaka? What about Freddy and Moku Kahana (I think that was his name)? He was the guy with the local puppet?
Freddy Morris passed away in 1998 from what I remember.
mungy

Waipahu, HI

#1490 Mar 26, 2008
Thanks Adobo. Sad to hear about his Freddy Morris' passing. He seemed like a pretty good guy.

“Eschew Obfuscation”

Since: Dec 07

Honolulu, HI

#1491 Mar 26, 2008
bumbye wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to clip those out as a kid. It was still open when I was old enough to go inside legally circa 1990.

Across the street from Paris Lido theater, if I recall correctly, and up from Cebu Pool Hall.
julie

Anchorage, AK

#1492 Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I was bummed Castle park closed-it was such a cool water park. Maybe they could have hired more lifeguards to avoid accidents, though.

Since: Mar 08

Haiku, HI

#1493 Mar 26, 2008
Go now, Hawaii! Why pay more?(Consumer Tire Warehouse)
The wonderful world of Aloha is not just a fanciful dream (sadly, it will be soon)
Redondo's sausage turns me on
julie

Anchorage, AK

#1494 Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, that place was pretty fun!! Too bad they closed. I guess they should have hired more lifeguards, though.
Ewa side

Honolulu, HI

#1495 Mar 26, 2008
Lork wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to clip those out as a kid. It was still open when I was old enough to go inside legally circa 1990.
Across the street from Paris Lido theater, if I recall correctly, and up from Cebu Pool Hall.
Dork,use to use the clippings to entertain his meat puppet.
Username

Honolulu, HI

#1496 Mar 27, 2008
nubi wrote:
<quoted text>
I bought a paper-shot gun last night at Longs for $2.19. IT WAS SO JUNK! The paper-shot is so cheaply made now and I didn't get one pop with the gun. The paper is so cheap, it practically crumbles. The dots are off center, and worst of all, the cheap gun didn't pop one shot. I'll try the hammer version today. >:-[
They certainly DO NOT make anything like they used to, no?

I guess we gotta go back to making our own rubber-band gun with stick, clothespin, tape and nail!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon 2 hr Joe Balls 125
I AM GO Blue FOOL! 9 hr Go Blue Fool es m... 1
Putin a Bigger Putz than Obama 12 hr Guru 3
Abercrombie sets historical defeat 14 hr District 1 5
Abercrombie screws HHSC employees by starting r... 14 hr District 1 8
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 15 hr Guru 61,960
Construction on Honolulu's King Street bicycle ... 17 hr Joe Balls 2
•••
•••
•••