Remembering Hawaii in the 70’s and 80’s

“Life is Beautiful”

Since: Feb 08

Honolulu, Hawaii

#1456 Mar 26, 2008
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one but two Sky Slides. Gibson's at Mapunapuna and Waipahu.
Do you remember the cost?
zona

Lihue, HI

#1457 Mar 26, 2008
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be talking about Castle Park.
Yea Castle Park....Man that was so much fun!!!
I wonder if Hawaiian Waters will survive or will my 13 year old son be taliking about it in the future as a memory. I hear that they are having financial troubles.
zona

Lihue, HI

#1458 Mar 26, 2008
Wasn't Castle Park closed because of some kid who died on the slide and they were sued?
Kamipulu

Honolulu, HI

#1459 Mar 26, 2008
love my kids wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember the cost?
Back then in 1970 was ten cents.
Kamipulu

Honolulu, HI

#1460 Mar 26, 2008
love my kids wrote:
<quoted text>
Just think you guys, 30 years from now our kids will post on Remembering Hawaii in the 00, 10's and someone will ask what ever happened to the lady at Costco who would yell, Hee Haa.
Eleanor Makio the famous "Yee Ha" lady.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/2001/Feb/19...

Since: Mar 08

Kailua, HI

#1461 Mar 26, 2008
Scatterbrain wrote:
How's about B-ball referees? Remember Sam Mahukona (was that a toupee?)? Larry Tanibe? Some great calls, high drama and suspicion.
The whole State lived and died with the Fabulous Five. Whatever happened to Dennis Salas?
OK, you are a tiny bit scatterbrained, but hey, I can't remember where I put my things today. It was Dave Mahukona (he was my dad's friend) and Pat Tanibe (my friend's mom once dated him). There was also Fuzzy Richards, and there was a Larry, but I don't remember his last name. Duke Aiona's father (Dave Aiona??) was the head of the referee "federation" or whatever. Fuzzy is Duke's brother-in-law.

There was a Fabulous Five special on OC16 a couple of months ago. It said that Dennis Salas was an important part of the team. He helped the team learn about the local culture. He must've done a gteat job because a number of them are still here. I think Dennis is a taro farmer or something. Oh, now I'm getting scatterbrained!

Kailua, HI

#1462 Mar 26, 2008
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one but two Sky Slides. Gibson's at Mapunapuna and Waipahu.
What something at Dillingham Plaza? Wasn't there another Sky Slide there too?

Remember MJ's? It was related to Foodland.
Kamipulu

Honolulu, HI

#1463 Mar 26, 2008
nubi wrote:
<quoted text>
What something at Dillingham Plaza? Wasn't there another Sky Slide there too?
Remember MJ's? It was related to Foodland.
You mean Emjays? Emjays(MJ) was the first two intials of Foodland owner Maurice J. Sullivan. No Sky Slide at Dillingham Plaza.
Rise

Lihue, HI

#1464 Mar 26, 2008
Live music at high school dances and discos! Remember having two or three bands at every dance?

Greenwood
Livewire
Natural High
Homemade Jam
Glass Candle
Burgundy Express

Help me out here...my memory is going like everyone on this old fut blog.
Leimamo

Honolulu, HI

#1465 Mar 26, 2008
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Eleanor Makio the famous "Yee Ha" lady.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/2001/Feb/19...
I think she now works as a hostess at New Eagle Cafe on Nimitz. We saw her there the latter part of last year. Not sure if she still works there?
Kamipulu

Honolulu, HI

#1466 Mar 26, 2008
Rise wrote:
Live music at high school dances and discos! Remember having two or three bands at every dance?
Greenwood
Livewire
Natural High
Homemade Jam
Glass Candle
Burgundy Express
Help me out here...my memory is going like everyone on this old fut blog.
Greenwood and Natural high started performing again a few years back as well as Aura and Power Point. They did a few shows at one of Ilikai's ballroom as well as the Ala Moana hotel.

Roy yonashiro lead vocals of Natural High has a new band called Powerhouse.
www.powerhouseband.org
Rise

Lihue, HI

#1467 Mar 26, 2008
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>Popcorn, peanut, coke, chips...
I miss Howard "the peanut guy" too! Aloha Stadium never had the same feel without him. Maybe that's why baseball didn't make it there. I think Howard's snappy yell as "PEAnuts! POPcorn!" My guess is didn't feel so good about his hairlip but if only he knew how famous he is now and much he is beloved in our memories. I spent my summers on Coolidge St at my grandmother's house. The cheers from the Termite Palace were so loud and that was only from 25,000 seats! Eventually as I got older I joined the other kids outside the stadium hawking papers yelling "Lineup!" My last memory of the old stadium was marching in the last Hula Bowl there. The natural turf was so ultra thick and the stands looked so tall. I'm amazed to this day that a stadium fit on that tiny plot of land.

God Bless you Howard!
Rise

Lihue, HI

#1468 Mar 26, 2008
love my kids wrote:
Got to run for a few hours, BTW, I sent an email to the editor of the Advertiser telling him about this awesome thread and the possibility of writing a piece of the fabulous 70’s and 80’s in Hawaii. With choke plenty photos and a music top hits lists.
Don't forget the 70's Waikiki Band Reunion happening in May.
adobo

Honolulu, HI

#1469 Mar 26, 2008
Rise wrote:
<quoted text>
I miss Howard "the peanut guy" too! Aloha Stadium never had the same feel without him. Maybe that's why baseball didn't make it there. I think Howard's snappy yell as "PEAnuts! POPcorn!" My guess is didn't feel so good about his hairlip but if only he knew how famous he is now and much he is beloved in our memories. I spent my summers on Coolidge St at my grandmother's house. The cheers from the Termite Palace were so loud and that was only from 25,000 seats! Eventually as I got older I joined the other kids outside the stadium hawking papers yelling "Lineup!" My last memory of the old stadium was marching in the last Hula Bowl there. The natural turf was so ultra thick and the stands looked so tall. I'm amazed to this day that a stadium fit on that tiny plot of land.
God Bless you Howard!
Howard Egami on the right.

http://www.edogawa-u.ac.jp/~robert/Vendor2.jp...

“Eschew Obfuscation”

Since: Dec 07

Honolulu, HI

#1470 Mar 26, 2008
zona wrote:
Wasn't Castle Park closed because of some kid who died on the slide and they were sued?
dunno, what HAWP had at least two deaths so far.

Kailua, HI

#1471 Mar 26, 2008
A few years ago I read a book called "Where Hawaii Played". It was a history of Honolulu Stadium. There was a house Dreier Manor where Chunky's was and homerun balls would land there. And if you've seen the First Hawaiian Bank that is currently on the Chunky's site, you'll see a baseball diamond motif in its design. It's a nice tribute to the Old Stadium.

Kailua, HI

#1472 Mar 26, 2008
zona wrote:
If I recall correctly, a Chinese immigrant girl drowned while on a school field trip there. I think she drowned near the bottom of the slide, where the water isn't very deep. Very sad.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#1473 Mar 26, 2008
How dreadful those years sound.
Leimamo

Honolulu, HI

#1474 Mar 26, 2008
While on the subject of the Honolulu Stadium and Moilili, drove on King Street last Saturday and saw that Hula Supply Center (right across from old stadium site - now Stadium Park) closed down. The place is now empty. That store has been there for ages. Got all my hula implements and supplies from there. Sad to see it closed!
alice

Honolulu, HI

#1475 Mar 26, 2008
How did you all survive those years? Why weren't you protesting injustices like the Vietnam war? I just see how easily co-opted you were by commercial capitalism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 21 min Leeward Outlier 714
Would you like to be a moderator on your own fo... 1 hr District 1 69
Trump or Hillary 1 hr Joe Balls 90
Outing the Main TROLL on the Honolulu Topix Forum 2 hr district 1 shower... 28
Big Island DUI Arrests UP,, You Lose with BOOZE... 9 hr District 1 18
Are Big Island Motorists Too Big To Wear Their ... 23 hr District 1 5
Outing the Main Troll on the Honolulu Topix Forum Tue District 1 29

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance