Remembering Hawaii in the 70s and 80s

Since: Feb 08

Honolulu, HI

#41 Mar 10, 2008
Pali wrote:
The drive-in theater in Kailua. I think it was on Pali Hwy makai of the tunnels just before entering Kailua town. Close long time already.
I think the last one on Oahu may have Kam Drive In Aiea. I think it is/was a flea market in its last years.
Waialae Drive-In showed Disney animation films, had swap meet on the weekends, and the lady's bathroom was supposed to be haunted. We used to go to Jolly Roger's after the movies.

Royal Sunset Drive-In in Leeward area.

I remember the Kailua Drive-In. Wasn't it in a place that looked like a quarry or something? Maybe I'm thinking of another location...

The speaker boxes were so bad. hahaha!

“Life is Beautiful”

Honolulu, Hawaii

#42 Mar 10, 2008
Remember the old Consolidated Theater cartoon before movie started where the cartoon guy would be in the pile trash in the ending scene and we would all say Thanks~ like he did?

Minneapolis

#43 Mar 10, 2008
Someone else mentioned the large number of VW Bugs. Does anyone remember a game where you said, "punchabug," everytime you saw one? And VW also came out with the "Thing," an offshoot of the German Army staff car that was very popular as a rental in and around Waikiki.

Minneapolis

#44 Mar 10, 2008
Hinge spearguns for those of us who could not afford the ones with the pistol grip. My uncle made the nice wooden ones from scratch.

Remembah da cheap plastic snorkel with the rubbah ball in the top? Was "supposed" to keep da watah out when you dove.
Cutchase64

United States

#45 Mar 10, 2008
I remember the Rainbow Villa-
hole in the wall where C&K started
performing. Bobby McGee's was
disco city and I do remember the
abandon Rent-a-boats floating around
on the Ala Wai Canal. There were
more locals enjoying Waikiki back
then. Now-"Stran-jahs in a Strange
Land."
Cutchase64

United States

#46 Mar 10, 2008
love my kids wrote:
Remember the old Consolidated Theater cartoon before movie started where the cartoon guy would be in the pile trash in the ending scene and we would all say Thanks~ like he did?
Or the Drive-in standard cartoon
with the "Balloon lady" and some
age old ad for the snack bar with
hot dogs and popcorn that always
looks better than it tastes.
Cutchase64

United States

#47 Mar 10, 2008
ETA136 wrote:
<quoted text>
Waialae Drive-In showed Disney animation films, had swap meet on the weekends, and the lady's bathroom was supposed to be haunted. We used to go to Jolly Roger's after the movies.
Royal Sunset Drive-In in Leeward area.
I remember the Kailua Drive-In. Wasn't it in a place that looked like a quarry or something? Maybe I'm thinking of another location...
The speaker boxes were so bad. hahaha!
Inbedded in my subconcious is the occasional
"Zapping sound" of the bugs getting electrocuted
at the Kailua Drive In. I was there on the
final evening. Only a handful of cars were there.

“in all things be pono, aloha”

Since: Aug 07

moloka'I, hawaii

#48 Mar 10, 2008
what ever happened to those electric cars which people could rent out of a shop on kuhio street? and before that there were some tiny cars on 3 wheels like the cops used and the cops parked theirs by the duke's statue? when my son came to visit from winnipeg manitoba he looked inside and noticed proudly that they are made in winnipeg.
Kamipulu

Honolulu, HI

#49 Mar 10, 2008
love my kids wrote:
Roller World
Earth Wind and Fire
The Commodores
Donna Summer
The Love Boat
Charlie's Angles
Remember all of the disaster movies? The Towering Inferno, Airport 1979, Earth Quake
Roller World, Mililani Skate Palace,Waiki street skating, Skateland & Skateworld.
Reminiscing

Ewa Beach, HI

#50 Mar 10, 2008
Ok, for all the "Old Timers" from Ewa Beach....Barney's (Smash Cow), Sloop John B's (best barbecue ribs), Tanaka Store, Kam Drive-In, Ewa Beach Chop Suey (best chinese food I've tasted). Ilima Intermediate and Campbell High School wasn't a bad School. Oh yeah, and Ewa Beach won the First mixed boys and girls softball league called the Hui at the Aloha Stadium, both Majors and Minors. Best times of my life!

Last but not least: Candies of the 70's-80's

FIZZ
HORLICKS (malted pill looking candy in the asprin bottle)
Tangy Taffy
Nibbits (the bigger bag w/more barbecue flavor, than the measly cheap azz one they have now)
Chewy Tarts
Big Dip

Damn, there are other candies, but I can't think of it right now. Some I don't even see around anymore.

As Edith sang, "thooooooose were the daaaaays."
savah da flavah

Keaau, HI

#51 Mar 10, 2008
Reminiscing wrote:
Ok, for all the "Old Timers" from Ewa Beach....Barney's (Smash Cow), Sloop John B's (best barbecue ribs), Tanaka Store, Kam Drive-In, Ewa Beach Chop Suey (best chinese food I've tasted). Ilima Intermediate and Campbell High School wasn't a bad School. Oh yeah, and Ewa Beach won the First mixed boys and girls softball league called the Hui at the Aloha Stadium, both Majors and Minors. Best times of my life!
FIZZ
Tangy Taffy
Nibbits (the bigger bag w/more barbecue flavor, than the measly cheap azz one they have now)
Chewy Tarts
Big Dip
Damn, there are other candies, but I can't think of it right now. Some I don't even see around anymore.
Holy crap! You from Ewa Beach? What Part of Ewa Beach you from? I figah, you talkin "old timah" from Ewa Beach. I rememba all dat you said. My braddahs and sistas had play fo da Hui durin' dose days. An' dey won dat year! Damn! Ok, you aiddah wen play oa you knew someone. Afta all, Ewa Beach was one small community, we was like Cheers!..LOL. Only difference was, it wasn't one Bar, it was da baseball field, football field and stuff laddat. Aiiii, so de ja vu!

Ok now lemme add dis in da mix too:

Takin McDonald Trays fo go body surfin
Usin' da slippahz fo' body surfin too.
an Da Bus was 15 cents befo, den went to 25, now look 'em, stay way ova dat, what? almos' 2 dollaz?
1982 GRAD

Honolulu, HI

#52 Mar 10, 2008
CRUZZING DOWN ALA MOANA CHECKING OUT ALL THE BUGS.

GOING DISCO HOPPING.

DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GANGS.

THAT WAS THE GOOD OLD DAYS.
chicken nut bread

Honolulu, HI

#53 Mar 10, 2008
Roller Coaster shoes
Tough Skins pants
Socials
Kapahulu, Kaimuki, Kuhio, King, Cinerama, Kapiolani, Royal, Waikiki 1,2 and 3 theaters. Waialae and Kailua Drive Inn.
Exhange goes round, round, round and down, down, down.
Milton the Monster
George of the Jungle
Super Chicken
Members Only jacket
Do the hustle
K-Tel
Royal Stamps
Sky Slide
The 6 million dollar man (inflation raised him to 100 million today).
International Market Place before all the crap in there today came in.
Kamipulu

Honolulu, HI

#54 Mar 10, 2008
Reminiscing wrote:
FIZZ
Tangy Taffy
Chewy Tarts
Big Dip
Juice in the wax containers
Pixy Stix
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Babies
Bubble Gum Cigarettes
Charms Assorted Squares
Chick O Stick

wahiawa

#55 Mar 10, 2008
the playground in ala moana where the parents just dropped the kids off while shopping

big way burger in wahiawa
dairy queen in wahiawa

watching "bambi" in the aiea drive in, with the cane fields burning around us

walking to the beach with no slippers on (that's how you learn to run fast!)

playing dodge ball thru the entire neighborhood

playing marbles for hours after school

15 cents got you chocolate milk and a pastry fro recess (waipahu elem)

lemon peel and ika legs from the store

for those who care, all these are from 1968-1969, then i moved away but never forgot. i came back 12 years ago and most of these were gone, but the memories last forever!!

last one: the big slide by the drive in in aiea...my folks knew the owners and we would go early saturday to wax the lanes...ride the blocks of wax down, the polish by riding the burlap bags down.
MakakiloHapaGirl

United States

#56 Mar 10, 2008
Oh this is the BEST thread!:)
Skyslide Waipahu
Waipahu's Drive in theater (now Waipahu Town Center)
Arakawa's
Waipahu had Skateland (next to City Mill building)
Ponderosa Pines ("call now-for sure!")
"you can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan..."
"I can't seem to forget you-your WindSong stays on my mind"
The Muppet Show
Zoom (the TV show, of course)
The Electric Company (tv show)
Pearlridge had San Francisco Rag Shop and 'Jewelcor' and monorail was .10 cents to ride
Ala Moana had Lin's Delicatessen and the Continental restaurant
Orange/Grape Exchange in the little cans
Checkers and Pogo (George...George...George of the Jungle...friend to you and me!) LOL
cane fields, raining black ash
the mosquito-spray truck (we used to run to the window to watch LOL)
I can remember .13cent stamps (Oliver Wendell Holmes!)
Crocheted Beer Can Hats (my dad had the REAL Primo can hat...oh how I wish my mom kept it, ROTFLMAO)
High heel slippahs
and my ultimate favorite memory: YICK LUNG!
alice

Honolulu, HI

#57 Mar 10, 2008
well i hope the old days were better than the mess in this city that i see very day.
savah da flavah

Keaau, HI

#58 Mar 10, 2008
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Juice in the wax containers
Pixy Stix
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Babies
Bubble Gum Cigarettes
Charms Assorted Squares
Chick O Stick
Yup, yup! Good ole' candy days.

Ok, let's add, Educational Stuffs:

Electric Company (remember the one they face each other and they do two syllable kind words? Like, C at, CAT.)
Inside Out
Conjunction, junction, what's your function...lol
I'm only a bill, yes I'm only a bill, and I live up on Capitol Hill....lol
Hawaiian Folk Tales
and the hours of May Day at School.(I did the maple, virginia reel (sp), the philipino coconut dance, the one with the string w/the song, Huki e ke kaula, kaula, kaula...lol

OMG! now das some stuffs, I tell you. Even taking Perry Como's Christmas Album to school on the last day before christmas vacation...LOL! Eh, during those days, no one cared what kine albums was...HAHAHA!
savah da flavah

Keaau, HI

#59 Mar 10, 2008
MakakiloHapaGirl wrote:
Oh this is the BEST thread!:)
Skyslide Waipahu
Waipahu's Drive in theater (now Waipahu Town Center)
Arakawa's
Waipahu had Skateland (next to City Mill building)
Ponderosa Pines ("call now-for sure!")
"you can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan..."
"I can't seem to forget you-your WindSong stays on my mind"
The Muppet Show
Zoom (the TV show, of course)
The Electric Company (tv show)
Pearlridge had San Francisco Rag Shop and 'Jewelcor' and monorail was .10 cents to ride
Ala Moana had Lin's Delicatessen and the Continental restaurant
Orange/Grape Exchange in the little cans
Checkers and Pogo (George...George...George of the Jungle...friend to you and me!) LOL
cane fields, raining black ash
the mosquito-spray truck (we used to run to the window to watch LOL)
I can remember .13cent stamps (Oliver Wendell Holmes!)
Crocheted Beer Can Hats (my dad had the REAL Primo can hat...oh how I wish my mom kept it, ROTFLMAO)
High heel slippahs
and my ultimate favorite memory: YICK LUNG!
OMG! YICK LUNG! Fricken A! No mo dat fo give as gifts. I rememba getting the assorted ones and giving it for gifts to my friends!...ROTFLMFAO!
savah da flavah

Keaau, HI

#60 Mar 10, 2008
ohaiboy wrote:
the playground in ala moana where the parents just dropped the kids off while shopping
big way burger in wahiawa
dairy queen in wahiawa
watching "bambi" in the aiea drive in, with the cane fields burning around us
walking to the beach with no slippers on (that's how you learn to run fast!)
playing dodge ball thru the entire neighborhood
playing marbles for hours after school
15 cents got you chocolate milk and a pastry fro recess (waipahu elem)
lemon peel and ika legs from the store
for those who care, all these are from 1968-1969, then i moved away but never forgot. i came back 12 years ago and most of these were gone, but the memories last forever!!
last one: the big slide by the drive in in aiea...my folks knew the owners and we would go early saturday to wax the lanes...ride the blocks of wax down, the polish by riding the burlap bags down.
Eh, no fo get fo recycle da coca cola bottles!..LMAO! Jus' fo buy candy! LMAO! how many sky slide burns you wen' get? Man dat sky slide was HOT during the summa time, and if it's dry? ewwww, you get cherry skid marks down yo leg!..LOL. I rememba my friends shorts went up her butt, you know, da DOVE SHORTS!..LMAO!

Man, good times during those days and we can all talk about it with a smile on our faces...LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 3 hr Wisdom of Ages 4,578
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 3 hr _Blue Bird_ 1,513
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) 3 hr _Blue Bird_ 1,651
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 9 hr Princess Hey 5,130
Yuk yuk yuk yuk (Apr '15) 17 hr Cecil Four 173
Prrsident Trump's Maginot Line 17 hr District 1 10
Classic case of Trump shearing his sheep Sat Effective Public 1

Honolulu Jobs

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages