Remembering Hawaii in the 70ís and 80ís
District 1

Keauhou, HI

#3480 Jul 1, 2012
Midnite Ohana at the old Klum Gym--95 degrees, and 100% humidity!
LOL

Kapaa, HI

#3481 Jul 19, 2012
I remember the old Pacific Coast League teams. Hawaii Islanders, Eugene Emeralds, Portland Beavers, Tucson Toros, Aubuquerque Dukes, Spokane Indians, Tacoma Twins. Anyone remember others? None of the team names are the same today.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#3482 Jul 20, 2012
adobo wrote:
Apple beer
I remember that.....
olopop

Kilauea, HI

#3483 Jul 28, 2012
Ethan Blackaby wrote:
<quoted text>
This is Ethan Blackaby responding to your posted message. Remember me from playing with the Hawaiian Islanders? February 24,2012
is your middle name allen? if so i remember you
olopop

Kilauea, HI

#3484 Jul 28, 2012
LOL wrote:
I remember the old Pacific Coast League teams. Hawaii Islanders, Eugene Emeralds, Portland Beavers, Tucson Toros, Aubuquerque Dukes, Spokane Indians, Tacoma Twins. Anyone remember others? None of the team names are the same today.
wasn't there a team called the san diego padres?
Tim

United States

#3485 Aug 20, 2012
Those ever sunny days at Kaiser High in Hawaii Kai. Seems like it might have rained one or two days during the whole school year. League champs in football in "76.
Ethics

United States

#3486 Aug 27, 2012
Was there in 1971-74 ...

Was
@Habilitat ever sued for extending stays? Like Mark Ciavarella Pa. Juvenile Court Judge, Convicted in Alleged 'Kids for Cash'

Just want more material to round out the story...
olopop

Kilauea, HI

#3487 Aug 28, 2012
olopop wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't there a team called the san diego padres?
1962 PCL champions
Rudownwitalex

United States

#3488 Oct 15, 2012
Wow I Neva thought dat I would here those banned and candies again I remember the soft ball league bobbysox the catcher was so good I believe her name was Icelynn Lopes damn she was good !!
savah da flavah wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy crap! You from Ewa Beach? What Part of Ewa Beach you from? I figah, you talkin "old timah" from Ewa Beach. I rememba all dat you said. My braddahs and sistas had play fo da Hui durin' dose days. An' dey won dat year! Damn! Ok, you aiddah wen play oa you knew someone. Afta all, Ewa Beach was one small community, we was like Cheers!..LOL. Only difference was, it wasn't one Bar, it was da baseball field, football field and stuff laddat. Aiiii, so de ja vu!
Ok now lemme add dis in da mix too:
Takin McDonald Trays fo go body surfin
Usin' da slippahz fo' body surfin too.
an Da Bus was 15 cents befo, den went to 25, now look 'em, stay way ova dat, what? almos' 2 dollaz?

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3489 Oct 15, 2012
VAIETE wrote:
Hey Stumpy,
I was living in the Moanalua district when Aloha stadium opened.
Wasn't there talk of not naming it Aloha, or was it after a year or so
after opening, someone wanted to change the name?
.P.D. undercover cars which were really muscle cars w/lights
Sorry for not responding sooner. I was a truck driver back then, and wasn't involved beyond that. I delivered all the elevators that people are still using today. I remember when the Stadium was just a hole in the ground, and a friend's house was demolished to make way for it. I vaguely remember something about the name, was it "FASI Stadium?"

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3490 Oct 15, 2012
L Allen wrote:
I went to James Campbell High School in the 70's many a time I would cross the street and get a bag of barbecue Nibbits and a Dr. Pepper for lunch at Tanaks. Loved to go to Sloop John B's for lunch as well. There was also a delicious bakery in that shopping center and a jewlery store where I got my ears pierced. I had Mr. Boyd as a teacher and the drama teacher oh yeah Mr. Barrett. He did the musical Man of Lamancha one year. My best friend was Ramona Shiroma who I have lost contact with. It was the wildest of times for me.
<quoted text>
Who was the teacher that used to be a state trooper on the mainland? He wore an eye patch.

Since: Apr 12

San Francisco, CA

#3491 Oct 15, 2012
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for not responding sooner. I was a truck driver back then, and wasn't involved beyond that. I delivered all the elevators that people are still using today. I remember when the Stadium was just a hole in the ground, and a friend's house was demolished to make way for it. I vaguely remember something about the name, was it "FASI Stadium?"
Thanks for getting back.
Yeah Fasi, Blaisdel and others ring bells about the sporting venues,
it was a long time ago...better days.
I remember the stadium's oxidised metal,(they must have done that on purpose)
Symbolic maybe of the natural red dirt?
You were a truck driver then?
How about these memories?
C.W. McCall's "convoy" And Movin'on on late night TV,
Sunday night, I think.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3492 Oct 15, 2012
VAIETE wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for getting back.
Yeah Fasi, Blaisdel and others ring bells about the sporting venues,
it was a long time ago...better days.
I remember the stadium's oxidised metal,(they must have done that on purpose)
Symbolic maybe of the natural red dirt?
You were a truck driver then?
How about these memories?
C.W. McCall's "convoy" And Movin'on on late night TV,
Sunday night, I think.
Yes, I was a truck driver then. The metal was meant to be oxidized, to protect itself, it had nothing to do with the color of the dirt. LOL, I hated those hokey trucking shows. The Blaisedel was renamed, from the H.I.C.(Honolulu International Center) sometime in the seventies. I remember the marijuana smoke would choke you out when they had a big-name concert. I still call it H.I.C. to this day.
olopop

Kilauea, HI

#3493 Oct 16, 2012
olopop wrote:
<quoted text>1962 PCL champions
so whoever labeled this post as clueless..........back in 62 we used to say......map hang

Since: Apr 12

San Francisco, CA

#3494 Oct 16, 2012
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, I was a truck driver then. The metal was meant to be oxidized, to protect itself, it had nothing to do with the color of the dirt. LOL, I hated those hokey trucking shows. The Blaisedel was renamed, from the H.I.C.(Honolulu International Center) sometime in the seventies. I remember the marijuana smoke would choke you out when they had a big-name concert. I still call it H.I.C. to this day.
I just knew you would know!
It was certainly unique in appearance, I don't think I've ever seen
that concept anywhere else, either traveling, or on the tele.
Which brings me to;
Movin' on, Route'66, Then Came Bronson, Three For The Road
(I'd be surprised if anyone, besides myself watched that one)
were all favourites of mine, I suppose they are "hokey" but I love seeing
other parts of the country in person or on the tele.
What were the call letters for Honolulu's country radio station back then?
and has it survived?

V

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3495 Oct 16, 2012
VAIETE wrote:
<quoted text>
I just knew you would know!
It was certainly unique in appearance, I don't think I've ever seen
that concept anywhere else, either traveling, or on the tele.

What were the call letters for Honolulu's country radio station back then?
and has it survived?
V

The rust idea was taken from some other project in the world, but the brainiacs of Honolulu didn't take into consideration that steel isn't all the same alloy. Good idea, badly utilized.

I think the radio station was called KJPN, out of Waipahu. It is a still-used facility in Waipahu, about as big as a one-car garage. I don't know who's in there now

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3496 Oct 16, 2012
I stand corrected. The country radio station in Waipahu, was KAHU, changed to KDEO.
District 1

Kilauea, HI

#3497 Oct 17, 2012
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
The rust idea was taken from some other project in the world, but the brainiacs of Honolulu didn't take into consideration that steel isn't all the same alloy. Good idea, badly utilized.
I think the radio station was called KJPN, out of Waipahu. It is a still-used facility in Waipahu, about as big as a one-car garage. I don't know who's in there now
K-DEO. It's somebody's house now along PArrington Highway.
I drove through just last week--still got Betty's pink apartments and Time's, but Depot Road is nothing like the 1970's when my Dad would drive ALLL the way to Waipahu just to buy something at Arakawa's.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3498 Oct 17, 2012
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>K-DEO. It's somebody's house now along PArrington Highway.
I drove through just last week--still got Betty's pink apartments and Time's, but Depot Road is nothing like the 1970's when my Dad would drive ALLL the way to Waipahu just to buy something at Arakawa's.

Arakawa's was the store to go to when you couldn't find it anywhere else. I also used to go to Buster's across the street for all my fishing gear, and he would always end selling me bicycles for ridiculous prices. I miss Kilgo's too, the only place in town where you could buy stainless steel items that wouldn't rust. The radio station still has the antennae towers, doesn't it? I used to sell fish to Times, but I have a bad memory of that place. In 1984, by friend had the first new SS Monte Carlo on the island, and his wife drove it to Times. I was in the parking lot and watched a Samoan woman purposely kick her car door into the Monte just to damage it. I went in and told my friend's wife what what happened, but of course the cops called it "accidental."
District 1

Kilauea, HI

#3499 Oct 17, 2012
KILGO'S!
That place was a GUY's store of stores. Every working man's toy you could think of. I think I still have a coil of manila hemp in my tool shed. I have my uncle's boat anchors he bought from A. L. Kilgo himself, but no boat anymore. As for the SS, that's a real bum deal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 54 min American Infidel 2,728
The Liberal Sisterhood will Crumble (Again) 1 hr Fell Ayshio Smith 53
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) 9 hr Princess Hey 924
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 13 hr Princess Hey 813
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 13 hr Princess Hey 4,710
News Waianae High recalls yearbooks containing racia... (May '09) Wed District 1 337
News Feral cats dog residents - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Dec 13 Balls At Work 246

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages